1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 913 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.3/10

very reliable

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "good ride"

"Some minor work needs to be done LR window regulator,and front bumper paint does not match. Rest of the vehicle is in good shape.always had regular work done to this."

Worst car I've ever bought.

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, good power."

Cons: "Lots of mechanical problems."

"Lots of mechanical problems. Passlock (anti theft system) is a headache."

Best vehicle ever

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Very good for us"

Best vehicle ever

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Very good for us"

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable. grt mileag"

Cons: "wish it has front split bench seat"

"this is an excellent vehicle for 15 years old. Has a few paint bubbles and small rust spots. body is in really good condition. Avg 27-31 mpg. Fairly quiet on the road. Still fully functional. will drive it well over 300k miles. Great mileage."

Excellent value for the first or second car

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

"99 Malibu, white with good tires, 8/32 tread, when new 11/32. Lot of miles, but transmission and engine have been replaced with re-builts."

Spacious;excellent sound system;clean.

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive, 4 (four cup holders"

"Easy driving; white exterior, grey interior."

Best car I ever owned and awesome gas mileage!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive and take on vacation!"

Cons: "There are no cons to owning this particular car."

"This vehicle belonged to my dad. This car is awesome. It has great "get up and go" for a 4 cylinder, it has a great power steering, ABS break system, all power windows and driver's seat electric. This vehicle gets fantastic gas mileage and for a 2005 the accurate odometer reading has just turned to 86,100!! I love this car but will want to sell in the near future to downsize to a one car family upon moving out of state. It's a great travel car with smooth and quiet driving. For a car that does not have all the bells and whistles, the CD player and radio work like new! I would sell this car to anyone in my family or to anyone I know. It is that great of a vehicle! I don't sell anything I don't believe in and this car has been kept in excellent condition and all mileage is mainly highway. Tires are Michelin and it doesn't get any better than that. I do regular maintenance on the car, even though I only put 2000 miles or less on it in a 5-6 month period!"

Worst Car I've Owned.

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pros: "cosmetically pleasing"

Cons: "pain to work on/drive"

"So far every car I've owned has done me well besides this one. Not too sure why but the entire car basically quit on me. It barely started, it overheated, it sputtered out. I changed everything from the catalytic converter to the spark plugs etc. but couldn't figure out what was wrong. Oh and the radiator reservoir wouldn't hold water for anything. My mechanic even told me to junk it."

on the side of i-55

By on Sunday, September 15, 2013

Reason: it brock down

Pros: "comfy"

Cons: "old and a bracker dooner"

"not the best but it is a 90s malibue i got a 2013 model my old malibue brock down on i-55 at 288,896 miles"

1/4 of a Million Miles and she still runs!

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, durable, Comfortable ride"

Cons: "ugly design, cheap interior"

"I own a 2001 Chevy Malibu. I live in the north country so It dosent look immaculate. I just bought the car a short while ago and this is what i have to say about it. at almost 250,000 miles it still running which surprises and delights me. Ive always loved Chevy Motors, and the 3.1 V6 did not disappoint. the Interior was cheaply built, the glove box wont stay shut and if you open it, it falls right off the hinges, haha. Other than being constructed poorly in the interior, I am very pleased with this car. Like any car they require maitenance and a little bit of wrenching and ratcheting. I feel like the Chevy Malibu has served me well and Id reccomend it to a friend. Luckily NO head Gasket Problems yet!! Im fixing the rust and adding a Vader body kit to the car in the spring. so shell look as good as she runs! Good Luck current and future Malibu Owners!"

Good value!

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Appearance, Reliability, Hiway gas mileage"

"I bought this car new in 2002. This was my primary car until it had about 90K miles on it and since then, I only put about 2k miles per year. I have been happy with all aspects of the car. I've only replaced tires, brake pads, a few batteries, and a brake line. It still looks good! I have heard about head gasket and other coolant gasket leaks but, thankfully, I have not experienced these problems. I used to get 30MPG on long trips! I'm still happy!!"

Terribad

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Pros: "Spacey, large trunk, v6-engine, value"

Cons: "Engine, head gasket, anti-theft, ignition, etc."

"Where to start... I bought it with 79k miles, owned for about year and a half so far, now have almost 88k miles. First, it started leaking coolant and overheating engine, about 4-5 months later after I bought it. Then (of course), head gasket needed to be replaced among with a water pump. Along with it, two window engines went dead on two of passenger sides. A couple of months ago, coolant started leaking again, and this time, not just leaking but completely spilled on the ground and emptied the coolant tank. Coolant pipes needed to be replaced. Anti-theft issue would prevent the car from starting quite often too, still haven't got that fixed. Now, the battery died completely and needed to be replaced, since even the recharging of it didn't help. Transmission has always been jerky; gauge readings were inconsistent: sometimes engine would go on over 1000rpm on idle. I bought it for $4,200, spent around $2,500-3,000 for repairs so far. Mine own fault, should've done more research. Awful and unreliable. Maybe, I, like some other people have gotten a lemon, it seems like there's 50/50 chance to get a faulty, defective, and literally falling apart car if you buy a Malibu. I know two other people who own 2000 and 2002 models, seems like latter one is better and slightly more reliable."

Good value but beware of high miles

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "runs well, decent mileage, and comfortable to use"

Cons: "unreliable gaskit due to bad engineering by GM"

"I got this car used many years ago for a good price. It had proven reliable until I reached around 175k miles then I started having some problem. Nearly all of the problem were caused by bad gaskit that allowed coolant and oil to mix together. This is unfortunately a known issue caused by using Dexcool and cheap plastic gaskit by GM. If your car (or considering one) and has less than 150k miles, do consider having both upper and lower gaskit replaced before it fails. Use quality 3rd party kit that is mostly metal and not plastic. Expensive problem to fix even if it was caught before the mixed fluid damaged the engine. The top gaskit plus labor can run around $800 to $1200 but you can do it yourself for about 6-8 hours of work and at most a couple hundred dollars. My car finally blew out at about 220k miles, and it was likely caused by broken gaskit that permanently damaged the parts. Final car mileage: about 23 MPG highway average"

Beware, it's a lemon!

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable to sit in"

Cons: "Problem, after problem"

"I've owned this car for less than a year now and it has been in the shop many times. There has just been problem after problem with this car. Just when I repair one problem a totally new one comes up! This car was stalling on me I took it to 3 different mechanics and no one could find out what was wrong. Finally the 4th mechanic fixed the problem. A few weeks later the head gasket went out and I paid $2000 to fix it. That was fixed and another 3 weeks later the fuel pump went out. It is now sitting in my driveway and I will not be putting another cent into this black hole. On top of the major issues, the check engine lights and all the warning lights along with the gas gauge and the gauge that tells you if the car is overheating doesn't work. Fixed the problem once and 1 month later it went out again. Don't buy this car or get it for free it's a lemon! Causes more problems then what it's worth!"

Good value

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "good gas millage, dependable, peppy engine,comfort"

Cons: "plain body style, air could be colder, not many !!"

"Ive owned this car for four years and Its been very reliable. Have done the usual upkeep, tires, bearings and a battery. Normal stuff. Did have one larger repair, replacing the head gaskets, but very common for the model. Even with the repair, Its has been a great car. Not flashy, but dependable an comfortable and the front wheel drive has been quite good in the snow an rain. Overall I saved alot of money !!"

First Car and No Complaints

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "interior light dimmer, automatic lights"

Cons: "avg. gas mileage for today's standards"

"I got this car as a hand-me-down with ~98,000 miles on it and we always took good care of the car. I have taken it on many road trips and it does fine. I do my part keeping the interior and exterior clean. Though my model does not feature the sunroof or cd player as I have seen in other models I have learned they are not a necessity and I have made it work without them. What I like most about the car is the automatic lights and the interior light dimmer. Comfortably fits 3 adult passengers and the trunk has plenty of room. For as long as I can remember the front left quarter panel squeaks but it has not been an issue."

Very reliable car

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

"We bought this car used, I think 2007. It has not given us a bit of trouble. The only thing we have replaced besides tires, oil etc was a right front wheel hub bearing. It has been very economical, even though there is nothing cosmetically special about it."

Excellent value, great car.

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, tasteful styling and lines. Reliable."

Cons: "Passkey I system, PIA."

"Heard all kinds of bad things about this car. WRONG! Bought it with 87,000 miles. Now @ 110,000 no problems. Car is a rock. Runs great. I love the comfort of the car. For what would be called a "midsize" it is roomy and comfortable, even with 4 large adults loaded. Trunk is cavernous. I like the low lift over and cargo net. Love the looks of the car, the long wheel base. I think it still looks very sharp. Small things, typical at its age: Passkey gave me problems, had a new key cut, problem solved. Driver side power window quit working, inconvenient, but the a/c works well, so, not sweating it right now. Cheap fix. Other than that, nothing. Interior cloth has worn extremely well. No breaks, no fading. Still looks quite good. I don't know why so many write horrible reviews on this car. I have not experienced any of these. I will say, if you look around, you can hardly drive up to the supermarket without seeing at least a dozen of them on the road. So, that must say something about their durability and reliability."

Poor Quality

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "The windows work"

Cons: "It's a GM product"

"This is a car I would not recommend. The quality and reliability of this car is poor. I have all of the problems that are commonly referred to on web sites for complaints about the Malibu. The A/C only works on high speed, the windshield wipers only work on high, the anti theft system comes on for no apparent reason and delays starting the car. The anti theft system was repaired per Chevy specs, but still is acting up. I contacted Chevy customer service, but they were unwilling to help in any manner. I own and have owned Japanese products that have gone over 100,000 miles with only very minor repairs. I will not buy another GM product as I think their quality and customer service is very poor. I understand why they have had such financial problems."

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "It's a Malibu Nuff Said"

Cons: "No armrests"

"I have just about seen every possible variant of my car From the base sedan up to my LS I see the newer ones and I am proud I own a popular Generation of it I have owned my car for 6 years since I became the second owner and have spent a great deal on this to make it a safe reliable and clean car for whom ever in my family needs to use it of my car I will say this I bought it with 18,000 miles on it it now reads 53,153 not bad for an 11 year old car huh? Yeah I don't drive it much and use it on days where the weather warnts usage IE rain or snow"

Basic, has a few issues but gets me around town.

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

"Overall, this car's basic, nothing catastrophic has gone wrong with it in the six months I've owned it, which is impressive given that it's verging on 300K miles. All of the issues I've had with this car pertain to the electrical system. Like others, I've had issues with the ignition; the car stays partially in ACC mode on occasion (about half of the time), which can be an expensive fix. To avoid paying for repairs, I manually disconnect the battery whenever I park when this issue occurs. Another issue I've had with this car is to do with the theft system, it has triggered on me twice so that the car won't start. However, this hasn't been an overarching issue and resetting it is rather easy and only takes 10 minutes. On to the good: the car has a V6 and is fun to drive, it's not the roomiest vehicle inside but can comfortably sit four adults, and five uncomfortably. The power windows are a nice addition. I own a 2001 and probably get about 18mpg city, and about 26mpg highway, not bad for a 2001 V6. I'd recommend this vehicle if you manage to get your hands on it cheap and don't mind dealing with a few pesky electrical issues. My car may be a fluke, but the fact that it has this many miles on it without needing major repairs probably speaks well on the part of the major components of this vehicle."

Solid, but flaky electrical

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, radio, fuel mileage"

Cons: "Flaky electrical, uses expensive Dex-Cool"

"Nice looking car, 32 mpg Highway, good ride for it's size. COLD A/C, Good sounding radio, quiet when wanted. Dashboard lights don't work, window raising hardware is flaky.In the morning, the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts until it warms up. Half a can of STP cured that. A great commuter car, but if you can, get the manual windows. Bought it for $2300 at an auction. Overall rating: C+. GM is trying, but not quite hard enough to compete head-to-head with Ford....."

Driveline OK but overall, not put together well.

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Good MPG, smooth ride."

Cons: "Hard to work on, cheap interior."

"It had 21K on it in 2003 when purchased by me. It now has 48K, or 27K mi. in the last 10 years, so it hasn't been driven much in that time. New alternator at about 45K, new front brake pads @ 44K, the windshield washer tank leaks, the power mirrors quit working (gradually). Turnsignal/4-way flasher problem but the warranty covered that. It's an inexpensive car to begin with and you get what you pay for. Consumer Reports has a lot of black marks for the 2002 models; the 2003s were somewhat better--more red marks. My car's very average, nothing to brag about."

Good car to get around been very reliable

By on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Pros: "Good price, reliable"

Cons: "Upholstery is dirty and has burns from cigarettes"

"Car runs fine, need to sell due to having too many cars around. Broken back window that I am fixing, interior is not good, has cigarette burns and is dirty. Exterior has no dents but some peeling paint. Color is white. Willing to sell for $2500 which is $1000 below kelly blue book."