1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 939 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Basic car for economy price, boring

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "value priced"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheap look and feel"

"no real problems, no power, cheap looking and feel, A/C switch problem should have been a no real problems, no power, cheap looking and feel, A/C switch problem should have been a recall"

Original owner, going strong at 82K+

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I bought my 2003 Malibu brand new from the dealer in 2003. 6 years and 82,000+ miles later it's still going strong. We have never had any problems with this Malibu. We did have the brakes done at about 45-50,000 miles as expected, and have replaced the tires. We also change the oil every 3,000 miles. No other work has been needed! It is comfortable, reliable, and a pretty good looking sedan. (No rust yet either.) Yes, I would recommend my 2003 Malibu to a friend!"

wouldn't buy again

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"This year of Malibu's had issues with piston slap. My car made it under the warranty with the first go around of piston slap, but withinn another 30,000 miles the piston slap started up again. Apparently GM used teflon coating which if I understood correctly warps, leaving excess room for the piston to move around, hence the slapping noise. This makes for a very noisy ride. Bought this brand new and had some other minor issues that were covered under the warranty, don't believe it was very well made."

Inexpensive, reliable car

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"I really like my 2005 Chevy Classic. I bought it used in 2005 with 19,000 miles on it. I've had it over 3 years now and put an additional 40,000 miles on it and haven't had the first problem. It's comfortable enough that I drove 17 hours straight while 6 months pregnant from Colorado to Tennessee and then back again about 2 weeks ago with no problems! The only thing I've had to do is change the oil, and just last month replace the brake pads and tires. There's also enough room in the back seat for my children ages 13, 11, and 3 to sit comfortably with plenty of leg room."

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Though this car doesn't get a great review. I've owned it for 10+ years and it has been a great car. I've kept it well maintained and plan to run it til it's on its last leg."

2001 Chevy Malubu

By on Sunday, November 09, 2008

"This car is a good value with many standard items such as ABS, AC, Automatic driving/night lights, etc. I have over 100,000 miles and besides oil changes, tune ups, brake pad and tire replacements, not major problem to date. Not fancy, but a good low priced American value car. Just don't leave the parking light on or put on manual head light on mode - you'll end up with dead battery later. Also, don't shut the door with car running - car will automatically lock itself."

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"This is onre of the cars you can really appreciate. The 3.1L V6 Performs superbly.The car has NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road. Its Just An American car that can last you for several years if you treat it right. By the way ive had it 10 years Chevy Malibu, "Built To Love, Built to LAST""

DEX-COOL

By on Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Bought this 2002 Mailbu new in 2001. Great car with little dissapointments until we took to selling dealer for an oil change. Had to replace the intake manifold at 5 Years and 2 month, 61,000 miles. Due to GM's Dexcool dissolving the manifold ports. At least it did not take out the manifold gasket dump coolant into the oil and trash the entire engine. Appx $1200.00 to repair. Got the Dealer to refund appx $500 for the cost of the parts. Still believe in this car, but why did not GM contact us to tell us that their DEX-COOL Coolant was eating away at the cooling system."

start every day for the last 7 years

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"had to replace front brake pads every year. then figured out after owning about 5 and a half years that they were being installed backwards. watch out the wear indicator goes on the inside on these vehicles. had intake gasket leak at about 80,000 miles and 4 years old.repaired under extended warranty by gm dealer and has been alright since.fuel leak from pressure regulator the winter of 07-08.stop after a day without needing repaired at about 104000. be careful when messing around the with fuel pressure regulalor because the throtle body part that hold the accelerator cable is made out of plastic on 00 models and will crack or brake when hit hard enough. cost about $300 to $400 dollar at dealership luckily i was able to get one from local junk yard for $50.00. signal and hazard lights acting up last week. start back working . had hazard swith replaced under recall a couple of years ago. the only other problem was a tie rod which was also done under extended warranty about 3-4 years ago. at 109,000 the engine runs good. gas mileage is ok"

99 and 03 Malibu

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"We have a 99 and 03 Malibu. Both were purchased with about 4,000mi. Both were used to commute about 50 mi per day in heavy highway traffic. 99 has about 200,000mi (hard to convert from Kilometers--we live in Toronto) and 03 has about 100,000 mi. Both are going strong with little work done beyond standard repairs. Would highly recommend this car."

never buy another one

By on Saturday, February 02, 2008

"got a 99 malibu 3.1 v6. Bought it new with 4 miles on it. Now at 120,00 I have replaced the heater controls twice. still no fan speed on first to setting's. replaced front rotor's, alternator, air pump, intake gasket twice at $750 bucks each time. power window control's, power mirror control's. The second time replacing the intake gasket the dealer told me the 3.1 engine from 97 to 03 is prone to this gasket leaking. If you are looking at one do alot of reserch on the year. Stay away from 97 to 03's for sure. Can't wait to get rid of it."

Chevy Made a Mistake!!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I have had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE since, literally, the very day the factory warranty ran out. GM says there is nothing wrong with this car, but I beg to differ. This car is trouble. Head gasket, 4 alternators, 6 batteries, ignition switch, rear window motor blown, ignition lock and barrel so stuck that the barrel actually fell out of the dashboard...I am meticulous with maintenance, so it is not me. I have another Chevy, an '01 Silverado, and it is PERFECT @150,000 miles. The Malibu has 80,000 miles and has been nothing but problems since around 35,000 miles. GM refuses to admit that this car is a LEMON. I am disgusted and cannot wait to trade it in. Also, it sometimes takes 2-3 tries before it starts, the transmission shifts so hard that it feels like I'm being rear-ended, the power-entry doesn't work on the driver's door...the pitiful list goes on and on."

No, no, no!

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Purchased my 03 Malibu 2 years ago at just 37,000 miles (it was previously a rental). Since then it has done nothing but let me down. Now at 58,000 miles, I have been left stranded at work 5 different times, 2 of those were extremely dangerous situations in which I was driving the car out of the parking lot and onto a busy street and the gas pedal decided not to let me use it anymore! I have replaced the brakes 3 times. Lets not forget that, as mentioned before, the air conditioning has a mind of its own. Most recently I was driving the car when it began shaking violently and making the most unheard of noises...come to find out it is a broken rocker arm, which let me tell you, is not cheap to fix. Between towing fees, repairs and the fact that this car is terrible on gas and brakes, I'd say its been a money pit and a waste of time. Save yourself the nightmare."

Coolant Leak

By on Sunday, October 28, 2007

"This call is a horrible car. Apparetnly the coolant that Chevy tells you to put into the car causes holes in the gaskets and thus ou will end up paying 1200 to fix this problem. I HATE this car and I will NEVER buy a chevy car ever in my life!"

Do not buy a Malibu.

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"Where to start??? First I had to replace the bearing assembly($400), then the battery($100), I currently cannot roll my window down because there is a latch that is broken(piece is $500), and now what do you know my manifold is cracked and the oil and antifreeze is mixing. ($900). My car only has 70k on it. This is ridiculous. Everytime I turn around it is something else. I have had this car for 2 years and it only gets worse and worse. I would never suggest this car to anyone and I don't think that I will ever buy another car made by Chevrolet. This has been the worse car experience imagineable."

Caution, take heed

By on Thursday, October 18, 2007

"I purchased my car [2001 Chevrolet Malibu] used (~88000 miles on it with a clean title). It was beautiful, spacious and ran well. However, the car has now started to fall apart (it now has 130,000 miles). I understand that there is normal maintenance required for all cars, new and old and that some parts just wear out. However, since purchasing the car (~3.5 yrs ago), I have had to put significant amount of money into it, equivalent to at least 1/2 of what I paid for the total car. You have been warned: -new battery -new brakes ($$) -leaky intake manifold gasket (coolant was leaking out from engine, not into it, Thank God) ($$$) -thermostat ($) -water pump ($$) -the radiator cap has never fit correctly (so the coolant drips) -the current problem--the car wouldn't start. The mechanic (competent or no) replaced the ignition switch and cylinder ($$$$). ONE DAY after getting it back, the car stalled while turning a corner and is now back in the shop. (the (not) competent mechanic does not know what is wrong with it yet, but it looks electrical ($$$$$)). (This problem may/may not be associated with the original problem and/or work that was done, this has yet to be determined) -Miscellaneous: The struts and/or shocks in the front sound like they are about to go as well. So, if you choose to buy this year (2001) of Malibu, good luck! Some of these problems have been addressed on several forums, so I know that I am not the only owner of a 2001 Malibu that has had problems."

Not Bad

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"A/C goes in and out (mostly on REAL HOT DAYS) - rattle from dash area (NO CLUE WHAT IT IS) - Brakes replaced at 50k - overall the car is reliable and smooth... power is average. I bought this car for the sole purpose of back and forth to work (PERFECT FOR THAT) 2005 with 62k miles."

I loved my Malibu

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"We had a 2001 that we bought when it only had about 17000 miles on it, and when I crashed it, it had over 100000 miles on it. We never had one problem at all!!! It got around 20+ miles per gallon. We just loved this car!!! One of the reasons we choice a Malibu was because of the safty rating... good thing that held true, I walked away from my accident w/out a scratch on me!!! If you were thinking about getting one you should!!!!!!"

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Constant trouble with the rear brake lights, had to have the ignition & hazard switch replaced almost immediately. Paint began flaking early on. Had to replace the gas filter often. Problems with the air conditioner early on, with it kicking on and off. Blows hot air, most of the time. Took it in twice to be fixed, and still have the same problem. I've talked with several people that own a Malibu, 2 with the same year and model, and they have the same problems. I won't buy another one."

Ok car but not made very well

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Car is OK. runs and drives pretty nice, and was a pretty good value. had many smaller problems, all of which seem to common manufactures defects. gaskets made of wrong material, $1200 to fix. turn signals havent worked for year, which chevy admitted to defective hazards lights. blower only works on high, lights work when they want to. and radio station only plays one station. and have heard the same problems from other people with same car. poorly made."

Don't Waste Your Money

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"I bought this vehicle used less than a year ago. 2,900 miles later the Check Engine light came on while I was 400 miles away from the dealership. $200 and they replaced something different than they told me on the phone. 2,900 miles later the Check Engine light came on... $400 because the mechanic told me that the radiator was bent. 2,900 miles later the light came on the problem: P1887 - the same problem as the first repair only the dealership decided to replace a brake switch instead of what they told me they were repairing. The problem: the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. This car is also notorious for intake manifold repairs. This is the first time in my life that I've owned a Chevy and NEVER AGAIN."

junk!

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought a '99 malibu from a car dealer in 2004. It had only one owner who used it as a commuter car. One month after purchasing the coolant system went bad, although the engine never overheated, the head still cracked. After replacing that (at a cost of $2300.00) I noticed a ticking noise in the engine... it now has a "sticky lifter" which could seize at any time. Aside from those problems, it will randomly shut off at any given time, and the dashboard lights come on and off randomly. This car has been nothing but trouble, and I heard from both my mechanic and other malibu owners that they have experienced the same problems (with the coolant system and electrical system.) The good things about it are its size, its very comfortable even for adults in the back seat, and it still looks "new" after 8 years."

Sharp, comfortable, handles well

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Good styling, handles good, comfortable."

Cons: "antitheft not good desigh."

"2nd owner. Was Exec car before me. Put approx 100000 mi on car. antitheft was annoying due to key switch/had it disabled. New engine installed 95000 mi. due to head gasket leak. Otherwise very reliable. Very sharp car with white leather seats and special dk blue paint that shows maroon tint in sunlight. Very comfortable, drives and handles great."

love it

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

"This is the most reliable car I've ever owned. except for, I had a new key at at walmart and it set of the anti-theft. Ive read posts that people have replaced every different part in their cars and it ends up being the key. overall I love it."

good

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "good runner when working properly"

Cons: "do not want to drive until fixed too hard to steer"

"good running car but need rack and pinion"