1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 943 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Good value

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "good gas millage, dependable, peppy engine,comfort"

Cons: "plain body style, air could be colder, not many !!"

"Ive owned this car for four years and Its been very reliable. Have done the usual upkeep, tires, bearings and a battery. Normal stuff. Did have one larger repair, replacing the head gaskets, but very common for the model. Even with the repair, Its has been a great car. Not flashy, but dependable an comfortable and the front wheel drive has been quite good in the snow an rain. Overall I saved alot of money !!"

bestestr car ever

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"this is in reference to the 2005 chevy classic (malibu) I bought mine with 14,000 miles in dec 2005, It now has 130,000 miles and i have not had to do one thing to it other than regular maintance.It gets 26mpg city 32 highway. I have taken in on long trips and the ride is smooth and comfy. the center console did wiggle loose but my husband fixed it with no problem or cost. It has wonderfull large windows for great visability (wish my impala did) Its not a sporty car in looks,but its not ugly either."

Cost a fortune in repairs!

By on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"I purchased this used with 20,000 miles and got the balance of the warranty. At 60,000 miles, just when the warranty expired, it began to fall apart. A new fuel pump ($700). A new key cylinder lock ($800). It was just obsurd...the key wouldn't turn and they had to drill it out! A new motor for the power windows ($200). At 80,000 the head gasket blew ($2,000)! Then it began sqealing as a bearing was going out! This never missed an oil change or service. Too bad, because it was a comfortable ride! We bought another model car at the same time as this mailibu and it never had a single repair like that. Same mileage and drivers."

Malibu

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"decent car but better have a good mechanic that you trust. I had the car since 2002. Bought it with 8000 mies and now has 108,000. Car drives and handles well when everthing is working good. The bad (my experience): I have replaced the brakes and roters several times, ABS sensors come on when ever it rains, A/c works sometimes. A/C-heater fan only works on setting 3. Replaced alternator. Replaced Key tumbler (car had to be towed for repair). Anti-theft system malfunctioned and disabled the vehicle (car had to be towed for repair). Passenger window stopped working. The good: Engine and transmisson performance is alway been pretty good. Car handles well even at fast highway speeds."

Worse car ever

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Bought it brand new in 2000 and had to replace basically the entire front axle from the wheel hubs out. Brakes and parts countless times, Calipers (2x) Power window motors (2 windows) windshield washer motor, horn switch (1) relays (2) and that was when the car was under 40,000 miles. Now at 92,000 miles it now needs an intake manifold gasket to the tune of approx. $800.00 plus another brake job. I've maintained oilchanges and tire rotations since purchasing and recently tuned up the engine. However, I will not spend another dime on this vehicle.. nor will I ever purchase a Chevrolet product again."

Dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I bought a used 01 Malibu in 04. Let me tell you the typical problems you could expect from this vehicle. 1st off, the major problem with this car is the engine. GM has a problem with the 3.1, 3.2 and 3.7 liter engines with having the lower intake gasket going bad after 100k. So expect that. 2nd, the brakes are a common problem as well. If you are looking to get one, invest in better brakes. Other than that, those are the 2 most common problems I have had to face. If you are looking to get one, ask to see if those 2 issues have been handled. I bought the car for 5k and have spent less than 1k in repairs total so all in all, it has been a very dependable car for me. Alot of people complained about spark plugs, tires and other normal replacements for any car. Its nonsense. What would you expect after 100k? Any car will perform as well as you treat it."

Problems!

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I bought this vehicle with about 55k milage and I owned it for just about three years. Nothing but problems! When I first bought it it ran great and looked great but it was all downhill from there. First problem was the blinkers stopped working properly so I had to rely on hand signals until I could get to the dealer to get the hazard switch. Put it in myself because they wanted to charge me $150 to put it in despite a well-documented history of problems with the switch in this car AND an effective recall on the switches. Chevy claimed my VIN was outside of the recall. Next came a lot of little annoyances based on the cheaply made interior parts to the car, I had to replace a lot of little switches and things. Relays for the A/C burned out and had to be replaced, then the A/C died altogether. Head gasket blew and caused thousands of dollars of engine repair work, I was out of a car for two weeks during finals at college. When I finally ditched it the battery was draining for no reason anyone could find and one of the front wheels was starting to make weird clunking sounds. Something was starting to feel strange in just driving it, I'm not sure but it felt like it could have been a transmission problem."

My advice to you...pass on this car!

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I was a naive 21 year old who knew nothing about cars when I bought my Malibu. I've had nothing but problem after problem after problem with it. Not even a full 15 minutes after I bought it, I noticed that the turn signals would randomly turn on and off by themselves when I had them on to signal that I was about to make a turn. I found that really odd. I should have taken it back to the dealer, but I though "No biggie, I can get it fixed." Later in summer , I noticed that the air conditioning settings #1 and 2 didn't work at all! I had to use settings 3, 4 or 5 and then the air kept shutting off. I live in a state that gets severely hot and no A/C in a somewhat brand new car is just wrong! I kept up on maintenance as I should have. The freaking car broke down and it was problem after problem. The fuel pump went bad. Threw out $500 to fix it. This year, the radiator cracked, the water pump was bad, my my radiator hoses were practically useless....and so much more. Basically, everything in this car broke down all at once. After borrowing money from friends and my mother and maxing out 2 credit cards, I was able to get the things on the car fixed. The amount I paid for repairs is almost 1/2 the blue book value of this car. It is SO not worth it! I have 2 friends with Malibus who are getting rid of them as I speak. This car is dangerous and GM should be ashamed to let these things be available to the public. The only positive thing I will say is that the inside of the car is very comfortable."

Beware Gasket Problem

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I love the way this car handles and how it looks. However watch for 3 major problems. I've had to replace the intake valve gasket twice. The first time was at about 60,000 miles and again about 2 years later. This is a problem with all of these engines (V6). Also the front wheel bearings went out prematurely and the air cond compressor quit at about 100,000 miles."

Fun car until coolant problems

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "After 70,000mils starts having coolant problems"

"My father and I both owned 2003 Malibu's. We really enjoyed owning and driving them. They were great on gas mileage and gave a smooth ride. The only problem with these cars were they both had coolant problems after 70,000 miles, and was an expensive repair that we couldn't afford."