2008 Chevrolet Impala

8.2

Based on 791 Ratings for the 2006 - 2013 models.

Good value, poor resale

By on Thursday, January 01, 2009

"comfortable highway ride, quiet, responsive, but lost over 2/3's of its value in 3 years"

watch out

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"Pretty good car but paid 22000 new, and with 12000 miles 1 year old it was worth 8500. I would advise people to only buy used cars I know from now on I will. MPG was not to good about 22 highway."

most car for the money

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"Because I could not rate in half stars I gave it all 4's. I would have given it all 4.5. I drove many cars before buying the Impala. I also liked the Altima. It looks similar to the Impala but not as roomy. I like the smooth big car ride. That's how it got my vote over the Altima, Camry, Accord, Sonata, Gran Prix, Malibu and Optima. The drivers seat could use some softening. I had a Mercury Sable. It was 10 yrs old with 130,000 miles and was still in a class none of these new cars could match. The Ford guy tried to turn me towards a used car and may have lost a sale because of it. I never drove a new ford or mercury. The trunk of the Impala is huge. I can put my golf clubs in long ways. I feel sure you could get 4 golf bags in it side by side. Look inside one and you will see what I'm talking about. I really like the ride. It is softer than the other cars I mentioned and I like that. I'm not running in the Le mans race. I don't need a stiff racing suspension. The gas milage is great. I drove 90 miles on rolling terrain at 80 mph and got 28 mpg. The same trip at 75 mph gave me an impressive 33mpg. This is with a 3.5 v6. One feature of the computer is it will keep you average mpg. I do about a 60/40 city to hwy average. It shows me averaging about 24.5 mpg. I love the remote start feature and keyless entry features. Radio controls on the steering wheel is also fantastic. The cup holder and sun visor need some serious revamping. The overhead interior light is more for the backseat than the front. The mirror has a driver side light and a passenger side. At first I didn't like this feature but have grown to appreciate it more than the conventional overhead light. The compass and outside temp readout is nice. I also like the way it tells you how close you are to an oil change. You can also change the milage between changes. I love the tire pressure readout. If you have an annoying slow leak (never have yet) you will notice it with this feature. I sure could have used that on my Sable. I got the percision red color. I have installed vent visors, spoiler, bug deflector and splash guards. I have gotten lots of compliments on it.. It all makes for a nice looking package. I bought it with 4k mi as a demo. It now has 18k and no problems."

NEVER buy this vehicle

By on Monday, December 29, 2008

"I own a '07 impala, it is driven all highway and is not beatin' on. since new i've had nothin but problems. the TPMS went bad at 10,000 miles and 2 sensors were bad, it was taken in for repair 4 times and eventually had to be turned off because they could not fix it. Around 14,000 miles the #2 & #4 spark plugs failed, about 800 miles later the fuel injector clogged. at 21,000 the rack and pinion went bad, at 23,000 the steering pump failed due to air that was let in by the dealership. At 27,000 the stock tires failed. At 28,000 the left tire locked up, due to a pre-mature rotar wear in which cheverolet denied. at 29,000 an oil leaked sprung, never told what from but it was fixed. at 32,000 the water pump went bad. at 32,376 the fuel pump got clogged and had to be replaced. at 39,000 the windshield shatttered due to the remote start and unequal pressure. now at 49,000 miles the driver side fender is peeling away from the car, the steering wheel is binding, the car squeels around corners, and the transmission slips and has a hard time getting into overdrive gears. the Catalytic converter has also had to be replaced twice, once after bought and the second around 31k. it also does extremly bad on gas, it was 31mpg when bought and now getting 18-22. let me remind you that this car is garaged, never peeled out, or taken off at high rpm's, and is driven all highway. But on the up side it does make my truck look a heck of alot better"

Better than Accord and Camry, no kidding!!

By on Monday, December 29, 2008

"This car is much better than anyone would expect! Although the base model styling on the interior could be better, the overall quality of this vehicle is excellent. The 3.5L V6, although a little lacking at low RPM, it is a very potent and full of torque that under full throttle, comes in a rush of power. The ride is soft and comfortable and its handling is very uncharacteristic of its class, very quick turning ratio and even with body roll, its very very stable and controlled even in heavy rain. As for gas usage, i have driven from Raleigh, NC to Richmond, VA and only used half a tank!(that's about 225miles)...on the Driver Information Center, it recorded an average mpg of 31mpg, and the instant mpg reading makes it much easier to take control of how much gas you are using on trips as well as in the city. The enormous trunk space held two bags from each member in the family(4) and still had space on the side for shoes, etc. And the biggest kicker is, I have about 65,000 miles on this car and i have never ever had a problem with it, not even a slow start. I only had one problem, and that was the BCM went out around 30,000 miles, but it was the only major recall on it in the system, and it was free. personally, i believe the resale value on this car should be much higher. It is a great car for people of all ages, especially if you have a family and don't want a gas guzzling van or SUV. This car truly sips gas like a 4 cylinder on the highway and has more than enough power for city passing and driving. I definately recommend the Impala!!! And I did test drive many other cars before i bought this one, two of them being the Accord and the Camry, which this car is competing against. The Camry was way too over priced for what it offered and it was way too bland in styling for me. It also did not have enough power from the engine, especially the 4 cylinder model. The Accord's 4 cylinder was way too under powered. The V6 had a good amount of power, but the handling was terrible and unstable. The interior was also not consistent with its price tag and was also uncomfortable. But when i sat in the Impala, it was roomy, comfortable, had a great sound system, had a Driver Information Center that tells everything from instant and average fuel economy to a percentage for the amount of life left in your engine oil until you need to change it. Truly a greatly underapreciated car from GM."