1996 Chevrolet Impala

Based on 520 Ratings for the 1994 - 1996 models.

Outstanding vehicle, comfort, ride and power!

By on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pros: "Great car and fun to drive."

Cons: "Too bad they stopped making them."

"This vehicle has it all. I am the second owner and love the ride on the highway and the power on the street. The LT-1 engine is great on gas and very dependable. I have over 90,000 miles on it and have had no major problems with the vehicle. Too bad they don't make these anymore. This vehicle was used as police cruisers by law enforcement and they will tell you it was a great car."

Great mechanics car.

By on Friday, August 31, 2007

"My husband is a mechanic and we've seen several of these cars come through our shop, and I own an '04 myself. Personally I love my car. It's very roomy for our family of 4. VERY VERY COMFORTABLE! We get 25 mpg in town and over 30 on the highway. I would like to only change the fact there are no rear heat/cooling vents for the backseat. Unfortunately, I've seen lots of problems on other people's Impalas. Transmissions and intake problems are most common. Also problems with ABS systems and wheel bearings. At 83,000, my wheel bearings are already toast and I've had to have ALL my fluids flushed. Dex-cool does NOT last 100,000 miles like they say. My coolant looked like red-ish rust. Intake problems are very common on any 6 cylinder GM car, other than superchargers. That's between 600-1000 to repair. Wouldn't recommend any 6 cylinder GM car to anyone unless they either have a large pocketbook or have a mechanic friend."

Room to Zoom

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"This is my second Impala SS. Have had it 12 years and enjoy every mile. Only problem has been cruise control module went out but was able to replace it with minimal effort"

Great Car with Common Problems

By on Monday, February 04, 2008

"Great car, rides great, roomy, powerful, smooth, very responsive for its size, descent on gas. huge trunk. Takes a beating & keeps on running. No Major Problems except for the common Impala Problems. Intake manifold gaskets leak(Plastic gaskets) notice coolant loss w/ no leak visible. 50k-70k 3.4 &3.8 $800 Body Computer( Intermitten NO START, radio "Locked", Door Locks windows & trunk release act up, guages do not work & a/c problems. 60k-75k $400"

Puzzled

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I use to stand by Chevy cars but after reading all the problems other owners had and them being the same as the ones I'm having now, something has to be done. I had to replace the catalytic converter 2 time; had 3 fuel injectors go out; on top of that replace an emission modual as well. This all started after 50,000mls. Is these cars programed to go out at this time?????? Thank god I had an extend warrenty to cover these items but that end in Feb. and I'm affraid for Feb. to come thats when I will have to pay out of pocket. Wish me luck:-("

Favorite car

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I own a 2003 Impala which was bought in 2002 brand new off the floor. Since owning this car I have had nothing but pleasure with it. Very dependable, sturdy, reliable,...what more can I say...the best car Ive ever owned in 30 years! I do have regular maintenance done on it and I think that is what keeps her going so strong. Great on gas mileage (if you drive sensible) on the highway and city. Very comfortable to ride in and drive. With the drop down backseats I can haul what I need. I take it camping with me and my two large dogs and all the camping equipment fit very nicely. I love my car and would not trade it in for anything else...not even a new impala."

ok vehicle

By on Monday, September 10, 2007

"This vehicle was purchased in 2005 with about 21,000 miles and it has run fine other than replacing battery, tires and the dex-cool system needed something other than dex-cool because of sludge in radiator at about 60,000 miles. Now the vehicle has a problem with passlock security system where it doesnt start. You just turn key to on position for 10 minutes and then turn it off and back on and it starts. Has only done it 4 times now but started having problem with about 70,000 miles on vehicle."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, August 31, 2007

"I have totally enjoyed my Impala for 5 years and 120,000 miles; good gas mileage (on the road and around town), reliable (always starts); comfortable (I drive a LOT for work and it's good on long trips); large trunk (holds my golf clubs with room to spare); I'm 5'10" and it's comfortable with my long legs; low maintenance costs (only oil changes and new tires, no major break downs); handles well in midwest winter driving conditions"

Great car, but...

By on Sunday, August 12, 2007

"I bought this car new. I'm sold on the comfort and excellent fuel economy. There are two things that sour the whole experience however: it fails to start at times (Passlock system) and I have to wait 10 minutes minimum before it will crank. And the other day, it started running like it had a potato up the tailpipe. Am scheduled to have the dealer test the catalytic converter next week. There is a TSB on this problem which extends the warranty on the catalytic to 10 yrs/120K miles. Other than that, it's been a solid car."

saved my life

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"I had a 2003 impala prior to having my 2005 and it saved my daughters and my life when a man ran a red light and t-boned my car and flippled us over. because of all safety precausions that are made with this car, we were able to walk away with only a few scratches from broken glass. love this car so much that i replaced it with the 2005 a few days later."

Awesome 1st car!!

By on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

"Ive wanted this car for about 10 years. So when the opportunity arose I pounced on it. I bought it in AUG 2009 and have no intention of selling it. As you know the MPG is terrible but you knew that. I love the acceleration and the looks it gets after its washed and waxed. The flowmaster Super 44 series exhaust helps alot too.but I love this car and I have absolutely no regrets . ALWAYS DRIVE A CHEVY..NEVER DRIVE A FORD !!"

Classic no Doubt

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"What are all these dumb reviews about "my V6" and "good family car" Give me a break! We are talking about the 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS. Mine was a 96, Black Cherry that i bought new in 1996 (12 years ago) and has been a great car all these years...That is till some clown talking on a cell phone rear ended my last week on the I 95 fwy and totalled my old friend. 12 years and 90,000 miles of outstanding service with no major parts failures(only a water pump at 80,000, regular oil changes and many many sets of rear tires (installed a line lock 3 years ago and became burn-out king in my area) Anyway, great car. I paid $22000 new and it still books out around $10000 (before accident of course) Don't find very many cars that hold value like that. Mine suffered major frame damage and body smashed up to back of rear seats. So goodbye old friend. You will be missed....."

By on Saturday, September 06, 2008

Good car

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"72,000 miles now. Only problem was a wheel bearing at 70,000 and had to have the CD player repaired (dealer wanted to replace, an audio shop repaired it for a lot less). Have replaced battery once, front pads once. For a sedan it feels sporty and strong."

Great all around vehicle

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"This vehicle is roomy, quiet, nice looking, reliable, and gets decent mileage (25-26 MPG in average driving, 29-30 MPG if I am trying to save gas)"

2000 Still going Strong!

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"We bought our 2000 Impala used in 2002. It has proven to be reliable even at 110,000 miles. With routine maintanence, we have only had to replace brakes, tires, and the wheel bearings. The drivers window motor catches sometimes, but is still usable. Hubby wanted to trade it in for a newer model, but I would like to see how long it will keep running so well! I am a big fan of the great gas mileage also. With gas at almost 4.00 a gallon, I can still go all week on $30.00. Great car for the money!"

Excellent Car so far!

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"I recently bought a 2004 loaded up model and really love it. We have only had the car for a couple of months and found that the 3.8 L was low two courts of oil. We bought the extended GM certified warranty and are running an oil usage test on it to see what the problem may be. I'm hoping that it was simply the dealers error when they changed the oil on it because using that much oil in a couple of months is unheard of. Aside from that, this car is wonderful. I'm very jealous of my wife because she gets to drive it daily. I would rate the car an excellent buy providing that you get the 3.8 L and loaded package. I've had four cars now with the 3.8 L in it and now will not accept anything less. These motors are almost bullet proof, but do have a few little quirks to them where GM cut corners. The car rides really nice, yet doesn't handle as well as I had hoped. Of course this is comparing it to two Grand Prix's that we previously owned. The steering seems sluggish and the car slides a bit on snow and ice (with new all season tires) compared to the Grand Prix's. I love the head and leg room, while the heated leather seats are amazing in the wintertime. Overall, and thus far, I would recommend this car to anyone but would caution them on its sluggish handling. Ride, comfort, style, and acceleration is top notch. This is an honest and accurate opinion from a professional truck driver of thirteen years."

Solid Value with Performance

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've now put nearly 55,000 miles on my LS since taking delivery in October 2004. It's the best car I've owned in over 40 years of driving. Great performance, great ride, low cost of ownership and something for anyone thinking 'hybrid'....I get 35-36 MPG freeway driving when I keep the cruise control between 55 and 60 mph. My around town gas economy is better tha 25 MPG. This is likely to be the last car I'll ever need to buy"

A great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I bought this car back in 2002 in Elkhart, Indiana with 72,000mi on it. One month before my warranty expired the transmission die on me. Thank God I still had the warranty. Got the new transmission and haven't had any problems since then. It makes over 25mpg on highway and over 18mpg in the city. This is an excellent car for a single person or for an entire family of 3, 4 or 5 people. I would recomend this car to my worst enemy."

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I purchased my 2000 Impala in 2002 with 32,000 miles. I purchased an extended warranty for $1000.00. REPAIRS: Numerous oil leaks, rear main seal, ABS sensors, transmisson ( 75,000) drivers seat air bag. drive axe gasket. In the shop 2 - 3 times a year for last 4 years."

Love my 4door hot rod

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive,Chevy reliable"

Cons: "No cup holders"

"Were ever you drive you will get looks and thumbs up from a lot of guys."

GREAT CAR

By on Saturday, October 10, 2009

"GREAT CAR STILL RIDES GOOD ONLY MINOR SERVICE PROBLEMS.PEOPLE ALWAYS COME UP TO ME AND SAY THAT CAR LOOKS GREAT.THEY CANT BELIEVE IT IS A 1996 WITH 41000 MI. I HAVE OWNED IT SINCE NEW AND WILL NEVER PART WITH IT"

Solid

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"My Impala has 117.000 miles with only $235 total in repairs. At 65 mph, I can still get +30 mpg. One solid and under rated fine car"

Not Bad

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2008

"It has been a good car,good gas mileage for a big car,better than some of the foriegn 4 cyl."

Great car

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"I purchased this car used and I would buy another"