• 2014 Compact SUVs

2013 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,492 - $23,971.

10/7.4

7.7

Based on 343 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

What a disappointment

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "Is a smooth ride, sleak look."

Cons: "Huge mechanical problems"

"I purchased the 2010 Equinox with three miles on it. Everything went perfectly through the first year. After that, I had nothing but problems. The biggest problem I encountered, shortly after its first birthday was a cracked heating element. My windshield kept "fogging" up and my countless trips to the dealership left me without answers. After several months of investigation, as the problem worsened, tney finally figured it out. The other problems I encountered included a misfiring fuel pump, a faulty oxygen sensor, and an automatic starter that quit working; all before my car turned 3! So if you want a vehicle that is reliable soley through the first year you own it, this is the car for you. I would NOT recommend this car to anyone!"

WORST VEHICLE EVER

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "affordable with all options"

Cons: "Not reliable. GM doesnt stand by products."

"This is hands down worst vehicle ever. Purchased December 2010 with 3 miles one it. The fun began August 2011 with Motor problems. I have had claims through Chevrolet and they have put 3 timing chains on it along with a dozen other things and to no avail still it is not fixed. I am now 3 1/2 years deep into this and Chevrolet keeps "fixing" the same thing.. No wonder they needed a bailout. Will make sure no other family member purchases another GM product. Getting out of this thing and going back to TOYOTA. Never again and don't wish this on anyone I know."

Love my equinox!

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas! Comfortable drive."

Cons: "Trunk space slightly small"

"I have never written a review of anything before but was compelled to do so for this car. I traded in a trailblazer for equinox and absolutely love it! It is perfect for errands and fits my four person family perfect! It is excellent on gas and a smooth comfortable ride!"

equinox ltz

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

Pros: "small and powerful"

Cons: "more insulation on bottom to reduce road noise"

"My wife and I have always had larger vehicles. I love this equinox because it's smaller and easier to park. The reliability has been superb. My sister and husband bought a 2013 equinox on my recommendation and they love it. The only complaint I have is road noise. It seems to need more insulation on the bottom of the vehicle as not to hear every bump and crack in the road."

Comfortable and quiet

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "comfort, space, MPG, value, quiet,"

Cons: "no HID headlights"

"This vehicle drives like you would expect a much more expensive vehicle to drive. I compared to nearly everything out there in this class (Subaru, Honda, Toyota) and it is so much more comfortable, quiet and high quality. Adjustable seats are very comfortable! Rear seat is awesome- slides to adjust for even the biggest feet and knees. No worries about comfortable leg room. Adjustable lift gate is great and can be set to the height of your garage easily. Gas mileage is awesome. With the eco button enabled, we had a 50-mile average of 34.1 MPG on the highway. This was way better than I expected from this size vehicle. The great thing about this size vehicle is it doesn't take up much more room than a mid-size car, but has so much more usable and versatile space without sacrificing a lot of MPG. Vehicle looks sharp too! The only thing I can criticize is the lack of HID lamps. Current head lights are great, but they don't project quiet as far as many of the HID lights in other vehicles."

Comfortable, Roomy, and Quick to get up a hill

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Great price, comfortable, gas mileage"

"I love this car!! I was originally looking to purchase the Ford Edge but the dealership did not have what I was looking for as far as options and price. I walked next door to look at the Equinox and after my test drive I was sold. I was a little concernced that it was a 4 cyclinder as I drove a V6 but quickly found out that this car has more pep in its step than my V6 AND has great gas mileage!! I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a decently priced cross over with all the bells and whistles"

GM is saving money by eliminating filler panel

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "good looking-economical"

Cons: "deleted essential part to save money"

"This is my second Equinox LTZ,the first being a 2010. This is a great car,except in the 2014 model GM decided to eliminate a 300 dollar filler panel in the cargo area. I don't know if it is a cost saving measure,but it makes the cargo area look unfinished as the brackets for the panel are still there. There is now a recessed area from one side of the car to the other,that is a catch-all for any loose objects."

Great small SUV

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "great ride, handling,rear bench seat is adjustable"

Cons: "gas milage less then advertized"

"It is a real pleasure to drive. Handling is very good"

Could be better could be worse

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "Nice design inside"

Cons: "The motor is not great."

"So I've had this car for about 28000 miles. I drive about 50 miles a day to and from work. Here's what I love about this car: The radio and display The sunroof, I wish it was bigger, but I'll take what I can get. The red thread on the interior, adds a nice touch and looks nice. The back seat moves front and back. Its great for when I have stuff and not people to move, or when I have people and some stuff. Here's what I hate about this car: The gas mileage. I was promised MPG somewhere in the low 30s and I'm somewhere in the low 20s, on a good week get 25mpgs. The ECO mode must be on for this, and when it's on and your car idles, it sounds like its running on half the cylinders. The transmission. Its sluggish. It makes a loud noise and kicks back a few times a week, but of course, not when the dealership is driving it. My mom had the exact same problem with her Equinox, so I know its not me. The oil, apparently, according to the service manager at my dealer, this car burns through about 1 quart of oil every 1000-2000 miles. Makes sense on a brand new 2012 for this to be a problem... or not. My check engine light came on recently, it needs a new cam shaft. Still waiting for the part to come in from the dealer. Sits too low for towing my jet ski and putting it in the water, but I can deal with this since I knew it when I bought it. Overall the car is comfortable on the inside. The blind spots don't bother me because I know how to use my side mirrors. I like the backup camera, which I never thought I would use."

4 cylinder AWD

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "great car for the money"

Cons: "none that I can think of yet"

"Granted I only have 7000 miles on this car but, I am impressed. I just drove on a 5000 mile trip from Pennsylvania to Las Vegas and back and I was quite comfortable. I was driving at 70mph most of the time and in a couple of states about 80mph and I kept track of all the gas I bought and the mileage and when I got home did the math and averaged 25.8 miles per gallon. The ride is comfortable the mileage seems great to me and I'm very happy. Traded in a 2009 Malibu for this one and both cars are great. Don't know why people complained about the tire noise or rear visibility, learn how to use your mirrors!"

Great car unless it rains

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, gas mileage"

Cons: "terrible in rain"

"I have had my Equinox for 13 months. It is very comfortable, good on gas and great in the snow. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the car is terrible in any rain at all. It hydroplanes very easily which really doesn't make sense if it is good in snow & on ice. I am trading out of this car within the next year."

AS ADVERTISED

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "Value, versatility, ride, height,MPG."

"This is my second Equinox. I traded my 2011 2LT V6 on a 2013 2LT 4cyl. Loaded w/ all options except navi. On FIRST road trip the car averaged 34MPG on the highway with high of 36! (65 mph.) Combined mpg is 24+. Outstanding comfort, ride and enough power for most drivers. Was hesitant to buy 4cyl but glad I did."

"Little" Chevy Equinox

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Quiet. great handleing, good power"

Cons: "Narrow front seat and shoulder room"

"I just rented a 2013 Equinox LTZ to drive from Chicago to Little Rock. This SUV is small. It does not offer much luggage capacity and the drives seat is NARROW. I'm 6' and weigh 365. I am not a small guy but the area that was cramped was my shoulders. I found myself having to lean into the center of the vehicle to avoid pushing on the door frame. The car handled great. It has a firm controlled but comfortable ride and the engine and trans were among the smoothest I have ever driven. The interior fit and finish was impressive and looked like high quality. The car was quiet and wind noise was minimal. I had a good field of view while driving and it had more than enough power to handle the steep hills and climbs in Missouri and Arkansas. My main problem was interior room. We packed a large Pullman suitcase, a cooler, some hanging cloths, a laptop bag and two large tote bags and that filled the back completely. The front seats have leg room and then some. I like my legs stretched out while driving and there were still several more inches that the seat could go back. But the entire interior felt narrow and small. Plus there is very little storage in the dash. A small glove box, one small area under the radio that could hold a few CDs and two cup holders in the center rest. Most of the storage is in the armrest which is narrow and very deep which makes it unusable to find something quickly. It was like looking into a well. The door panels have thin SHALLOW pockets that are not good for anything more that a pen. There are cup holders in the front door panels but they wind up being at your ankles while driving. Who's idea was it to have you reaching down to your ankles for a cup? The people at Chevy really missed the target on the interior. Here you have a vehicle that can accommodate a very tall person and has great headroom even with a sunroof. But squeezing into the seat and not having any shoulder room was really a pain. And to add to the narrow seating the drivers seat had memory buttons for two drivers positions but they are mounted on the left top side of the seat frame and that made the drivers seat more narrow than the passenger side. This is a shame because the seats were comfortable even after 7 hours. It was having NO room for my left arm to be at my side that was ridiculous. I kept my left arm propped on the top of the door for the entire trip. It seems the roof tappers in a lot and that causes the upper portion of the interior to feel claustrophobic. Then there is the issue of the chrome trim on the LTZ. It wraps over the top of the mirrors and when the sun is behind you the chrome sends a blinding glare right into your eyes. This was very annoying and there was no way of blocking it. Too bad because this car looks great, handle's very well and was quiet and tight and felt very secure on the road. But after a week I was glad it was only a rental. When I got back into my old Taurus I felt like I was sitting in a cave because there was so much room. I never thought of a Taurus as a BIG car. Even the guys at the rental company commented that the new Equinox felt tight inside."

2010 Chevy Equinox - Under powered 4 cyl

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "nice looking and good interior."

Cons: "under powerd 4 cyl and A/C compressor replaced."

"Bought it the first year it came out. Bought the leather with DVD system for the kids to play and watch in the back on road trips. Took it to Colorado and it had trouble in the mountains with the 4 cyl loaded up. It never really had any power especially for speeding up. Decent hwy MPG as long as you don't go over 70. 50-60 is the sweet spot for 30 MPG. Otherwise it was average 26 at an average speed of 38 MPH. Good interior and good looking. Had to have the A/C replaced @ 40,000 miles. Rides nice at low speed."

I feel this car is a peice of tin foil.

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "price n car itself ok"

Cons: "hate the plastic body"

"This car is all plastic. I hate it! If some buys it for 20,000 its gone!!!"

Great for retired people traveling the country

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, cargo space and comfortable inside."

Cons: "The 4 cylinder is a little anemic"

"Bought this suv to travel the country and everyday use. The interior is very comfy and the electronics are a nice feature. Bluetooth makes it easy to use my phone hands free. The radio package has a place for my ipod and a usb for music. The only complaint i have is the radio controls volume and selection knobs are a little bit of a reach. I have no other complaints."

Best GM Has Offered

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, driving height, room in pass. area."

Cons: "Cargo area could be larger. V-6 hwy mpg."

"I have owned this vehicle for a little over two years and have put 25,000 miles on it. The V-6 averages around 19MPG overall and the ride is VERY comfortable. It is easy to drive, park. I wish there was a little more room behind the rear seat but it IS a crossover not an SUV. I have not had ONE problem with this car. It is my first vehicle that isn't a sedan and I would buy another."

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

Pros: "V6, Styling"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"Had this car a week. I am extremely happy with the price and the quality of the car. The ride is nice and the V6 has very good power. It accelerates very well. The car has a quiet interior. In my opinion its the best car in its class for the money. Only problem is gas mileage is not as advertised so far. Although, I have only had it for a week."

Wonderful purchase

By on Friday, August 02, 2013

"This is a extremely comfortable car, and smooth drive. The interior is well finished and the exterior could not look more beautiful."

At 10,000 miles and still impressed with quality

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Great quality, excellent performance & comfort"

Cons: "None. The car has been flawless for 10,000 miles"

"I own a 2013 LTZ with the V6 engine. I have driven the car for 10,000 miles and only been back to the dealer for a free oil change. The car is attractive, fast, very quiet, very comfortable, handles great and has superb brakes. The leather seats are really nice and the interior has nice quality materials everywhere. This car does exactly what Chevrolet advertrises. I just returned from a trip and got 27 MPG while driving 89 MPH. I have gotten 32.4 MPG when driving slower. The new 301 horsepower V6 in the 2013 is a big improvement over the lower powered 3.o in earlier years. This car has the same powertrain as the small Cadillac SUV. I have read some other reviews that complained about the car. I notied most of them were for earlier models. I can attest to the quality and reliabilty of the 2013 model. I am very impressed with the quality and how plesant this car is to drive.I definately recommend it to anyone who wants a quality mid-size SUV that has good performance, good fuel economy and is very comfortable and quiet. A really nice car!"

The 4 cylinder engine problematic

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great exterior look, good feel inside"

Cons: "not reliable, poor customer service"

"I bought the 2.4L 2010 Equinox in AWD brand new in 2010. It drove fine for the first 30,000 miles. After that my car began to leak fuel into my oil. My local dealer replaced my fuel pump. The problem persisted. I found out about a recall on my engine, fuel-pump and other various parts. My engine has since been rebuilt, the fuel pump replaced again, and my stablitrack repaired, but the engine noise and oil burning have not stopped. From what I have heard from others with this exact vehicle it is an ongoing issue and chevrolet customer service has not been very helpful in my experience. I am sorry to say I would not reccommend this vehicle if you get the 4 cylinder engine. It is a shame since the overall look of the vehicle is great and I was very impressed with the interior. It is very spacious. The fold down seats were also a big selling point for me as was the OnStar service."

Great for 6 footers. Love the deep blue color.

By on Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pros: "Great price, easy to drive and sits up high."

Cool Blue, Love It!!!

"I'm over 6 feet tall and I'm comfortable in this medium size suv. I can stretch my legs out. And the cruze control is great on the road in midwest. Rides great, great price and I'm enjoying it daily. Have been in over 7 states in 3 years and drove from east coast to midwest on 1 tank of gas. Great gas mileage too."

Cool Blue, Love It!!!

Don't buy the v4 version

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Nice interior for the price, attractive exterior"

Cons: "no power, poor gas mileage, poor visibility"

"I foolishly purchased the V4 model hoping to get the advertised gas mileage. If I had known just how optimistic those estimations were I would have opted for the V6 model, or a different car all together. Not only does the V4 provide extremely underwhelming power (Can't make it up hills or accelerate on the highway without sounding like the motor is going to explode), but i'm only riding at about 17mpg street and 19 mpg hwy. While I do tend to have a heavy foot, my 2000 V6 Mercury Sable was getting about 27 MPG on the street. Encountering hills makes me nervous because the Engine has to hit upwards of 6000 RPMs to make it up the tiniest of hills in Los Angeles to maintain a consistent speed. Overall I would probably be happy with the vehicle had I bought a v6, but for me the v4 has the power of a go-cart while guzzling gas like a V8. This scenario has left me nitpicking over everything in the vehicle until now I hate seeing it the driveway and paying the bill every month. I've actually sent letters to GM and plan to file a claim with the BBB for their deceptive advertising. Unless you plan on taking 3 minutes to go from 0 - 30 mph you won't see anything in the vicinity of the advertised mileage. In the end it was my fault for not thoroughly test driving the vehicle. I road it on flat ground for about 20 minutes, I should have rented one for a week and then I would have known just how under powered the motor is and how much of a lie the EPA's mileage estimates are."

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

"."

Best purchase!

By on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Pros: "Practical design in and out, drives extremely well"

Cons: "No air vents in the back"

"I couldn't be happier with this vehicle. The interior design is very practical with a deep center console, adjustable back seats with a tremendous amount of room. It drives and handles fantastic in all types of weather, heavy snow, rain or high winds. My ONLY complaint is no air vents in the back seat. All in all, I'd buy this car over again. We are currently in the market for a vehicle for my husband and he can't seem to find a vehicle he likes more than the equinox.....something tells me we might end up owning two..."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25