2012 Chevrolet Equinox

7.8

Based on 485 Ratings for the 2010 - 2016 models.

great suv for bad backs easy entry and exit

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Pros: "great all around"

Cons: "little more power"

"first suv will buy another good mileage great looks good storage"

Needs more umph

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "cargo room"

Cons: "MPG, not enough power, at the repair shop alot."

"I take turns car pooling with co workers and with 4 adults and a few tools weighing around 150 lbs in the back the engine is really strained and underpowered and rarely gets over 22 hyway mpg. If I travel alone with nothing in the back I get 24-25 driving 65... I am very disapointed since I bought this brand with the 4cylinder becouse of the stated mpg, the v6 was alot more upfront cost and the dealer said the mpg was only in the low 20's hyway mpg with the v6 and the 4 was the better engine. It has spent alot of time at the dealer for electrical issues and left me and my co workers sitting along side the road twice. My 3 co workers that I pool with all have different brands and similar sized crossover's as mine and all perform much better and get the same mpg loaded with 4 adults and tools as mine gets with just me in it. I will be getting a different crossover very soon."

GM Bought it back w/1k offset!

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Fun Tech, Comfy ride, OnStar"

Cons: "Fuel Economy, Engine & misc electrical Problems."

"Got the 2LT w/all the bells & whistles including the Navi, the car has been in the shop 8 times for warranty repairs. Usually it's the Navi that keeps trying to send me to Canada or it's just frozen which requires me to pull over, turn off the car & open the door to reset the system... Fun on a highway lol. Other times it's been the power liftgate intermittently working, the rear window making this horrible popping noise, the engine making some weird start up growl or the AC making the car sound like it's gonna explode. So yea, not impressed after turning in a honda CRV for this nightmare 32K later & it's going back to GM this week. I've learned a lot about cars in the last few year, I went American to help the economy & because the car had more options than the toyota & honda but this time around I'll stick with the long standing reliability and resale value of the Rav4 or the CRV even if I have to give up onstar or a power liftgate :("

GM has poor customer service

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

"This is a nice little family car but dosent get real world milage anywhere close to what is advertised... But my real problem is how GM is handling the well know engine problem the equinox has been haveing, just do a search on equinox engine problems to see what I'm talking about, I wish I would have done that before buying. My dealer was great at trying to help me get a new engine but GM didnt budge till the engine failed completly. The dealer had documented oil consumption and loud abnormal engine noise too many times to count and GM kept saying thats normal for a 4 cylinder. I think they were hoping the warranty would run out before the engine did... It seems they could care less about the customer after the car is sold."

just ok, but tired of problems

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "good price and styling, awd great in snow"

Cons: "not reliable and sturdy"

"i bought this car brand new in feb. 2011. it started off nice, a little concerned about mpg. i usually always average 24mpg so not too bad. well now one year later i am so scared that vehicle is not going to last 5 years. it rattles bad all over, it has been in the shop 3 or 4 times, once because the engine light came on, the cause, engine misfiring! the transmission slips then slams into gear. i have told the dealer about this and their reply is "ya that six speed trans can make it feel a little funny". seriously! i'm 36 and have driven all types if vehicles, i'm pretty sure i can tell that this transmission is not right. steering wheel was sticking so they put in a new rack. i guess they thought it ok to give it back with the steering wheel cocked to the left. hmm! now steering is clicking. not too happy at this point. i love the looks and dont want to have to give it up but enough already. fix the problems GM. also on start up the engine sounds as though its going to fall out with all the clanking. but in 2 seconds sound is gone. idk."

equinox is awesome the value stinks looses val

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "very awesome to drive"

Cons: "doesnt retain its value ."

"very nice driving also very comfortable. i paid 25000 a year ago now its valued at 15000. imports retain more value longer"

Disappointing 2nd purchase

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Very attractive exterior and interior"

Cons: "Very noisy; bad gas mileage"

"Had a 2010 4cl Equinox. Liked it very much (except for the squeaking noise, which was eventually fixed with a new part). Recently bought a 2012 6cl Equinox. Noisy and poor gas mileage. Makes low, loud rumbling noise when it starts up, when it's idling, when it's being driven below 55 MPH. Thought it was the muffler. Had it to dealer; said they couldn't hear anything, but they rotated the tires anyway. Sometimes the noise gives me a headache. Think now that it's just road noise, which means vehicle is not well designed if the sound of your tires invades the car's interior! And don't get me started on the jet engine noise if you happen to roll down the back window. Chevy said it's the car's design. BAD DESIGN!"

mileage is a joke

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "olvr the car -not milrage right size, easy to"

Cons: "no sun roof"

"I only get 23 miles per gal on highway. HOw do they get by advertising 32"

This vehicle is worth every penny.

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great ride. Great fuel economy for its size."

Cons: "Rear seat not quite flat when folded for cargo."

"I purchased 2012 LS model two years ago. I find it roomy and comfortable. I liked it so much that I bought the GMC version (2013 Terrain) for my wife - hers is loaded with all the options. I put 73,000 miles on my Equinox in two years. Tires at 65,000 miles. Oil changes every 7000 and it still runs like the day it was delivered to me. I have found that 28mpg is what I get with no A/C on the highway or city. I get 27mpg with A/C. So you won't get 32mpg on the highway but you get much better than the rated city mpg. I have just ordered the 2014 LS model as my company supplies my vehicle and refreshes every two years. I get to choose from a few vehicles and will gladly own another Equinox. It appears that not much has changed (dimensions look identical) other than addition of a usb port (LS) - but that is "fine by me"."

Poor gas mileage, bad transmission.

By on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

"Gas mileage has been well below sticker mileage, engine response is poor, transmission is geared terribly, transmission slips and shutters. I do not recommend this vehicle."

not good

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "comfort, saftey"

Cons: "bad quality"

"we bought this car brand new, two months later it had a recall on seat belts. then within the first year of owning this car, it has been in the shop three times for the serpentine belt, air conditioning fan and water pump. now its back in the shop because the air/heat stopped working and it is cutting off when going from reverse to drive. it has been slipping gears while driving since we bought it and chevy dealer cannot find the reason. over all I would NOT recommend this vehicle!"

Fair vechicle for the money

By on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pros: "ok valve for the money -"

Cons: "poor ride - poor gas milage. FWD poor on snow."

"Looks are good, seat comfort is fine, no blind spots - but poor ride, gas mileage not even close to sticker - advertised 31 MPG, on a good day I get 24."

The 4 cylinder engine problematic

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Great exterior look, good feel inside"

Cons: "not reliable, poor customer service"

"I bought the 2.4L 2010 Equinox in AWD brand new in 2010. It drove fine for the first 30,000 miles. After that my car began to leak fuel into my oil. My local dealer replaced my fuel pump. The problem persisted. I found out about a recall on my engine, fuel-pump and other various parts. My engine has since been rebuilt, the fuel pump replaced again, and my stablitrack repaired, but the engine noise and oil burning have not stopped. From what I have heard from others with this exact vehicle it is an ongoing issue and chevrolet customer service has not been very helpful in my experience. I am sorry to say I would not reccommend this vehicle if you get the 4 cylinder engine. It is a shame since the overall look of the vehicle is great and I was very impressed with the interior. It is very spacious. The fold down seats were also a big selling point for me as was the OnStar service."

Not worth the cost

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "price,space,AWD"

Cons: "oil burner, tire fill up hassle, low mpg"

"I have to say I was not satified with this car after having it a few months. It does not get the gas mileage as expected. It burns through oil a lot for being a newer car. I have to constantly check the oil level every 1000 miles! And now having issues with the wheel barrings needing replaced this soon. Oh, not to mention the hassle to just fill the tires with air and the process of steps to do that in order to have the computer sensor be detected correctly. The good things are that the comfort and space inside is nice. The AWD does handle nicely."

Love my equinox

By on Thursday, November 28, 2013

"comfortable, nice extras and a good value for the price,reliable, roomy, mileage ranges between 24-25 city 28-30 highway, knobs and buttons are convenient and user friendly, seats adjust nicely for all heights"

Comfortable but bad fuel effiency

By on Sunday, March 17, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, roomy, radio sounds good."

Cons: "Fuel economy, blind spots, rough ride"

"I purchased brand new with 13 miles on it. I currently have 6500 miles and have gone through 25 tanks of gas.It has very bad gas mileage and does not stand up to the sticker averages of 22city/32 HWY/ 26 average. Not once in the last 7 months have i hit 22 mpg. The car is comfortable, cleans up well, very stylish but rides rough with Michelin tires. Alot of blind spots but for a 4 cyclinder i should never get anyless than 22mpg..."

Lots of problems already

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

"Its a nice suv but has lots of rattles and been to the dealer to many times to remember for electrical issues that they cant seem to fix, the one that happens the most is the dash go's completly dead and I end up with no heater, radio, back up camera, ect... the gas milage is nothing to brag about either, 22 on long hyway trips and 16 in town."

Worst vehicle I have ever had!

By on Monday, April 30, 2012

Pros: "Space, Style"

Cons: "Slams into gear!"

"This vehicle slams into gear.... is currently at the dealer for the 6th time!"

great car but

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "I like the feeling of sitting higher."

Cons: "Too much black interior."

"It is a great car for convenience and comfort but it has too many blind spots. That is the major complaint. Outside of that I love this car."

Second one, Love It

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "No eyeglass holder"

"This Equinox so far have given me great service, and I plan to keep for years to come."

A/C and 4 cyl suck!

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet, nice stereo, great navi."

Cons: "A/C poorly designed and 4 cyl mileage is a joke!"

"After driving this vehicle for a few months, I'd have to say the 4 cylinder is not powerful enough for our LTZ. Mileage is abysmal.....lucky to get 26 on the HIGHWAY....and we went the 4cyl route for the fuel economy...what a mistake! Interior is quiet and comfortable, BUT on a hot day in SE Louisiana, passengers in the front seat freeze, while rear seat passengers ROAST! I realize that the vehicle and interior are black, but the folks in charge of A/C design should be ashamed."

Equinox- one year report

By on Sunday, December 05, 2010

"I have been completely satisfied with my Equinox. I now have 15 months of driving, approx 23k miles. Runs great, zero problems. I love the interior styling of this vehicle. I have the LT1 level, I now wish I had upgraded to the LT2 or LTZ level (I am really a cheapskate when buying a car). I use in business (real estate), with lots of peeps in the car. Most of the time I use as mini office, lunch room, etc, so interior comfort is really important for me. Clean up of interior has been great, I forget name of cleaner I use, but I hit the interior with spray bottle and cloth every couple of months... looks like new again. I have a choice of vehicle to drive every day, I pick the Equinox over my 2005 Mercedes C230 every day. Let my kid drive the other one, I prefer the great gas milage, height on road to see over other cars, and the R O O M inside. Recommend you place the Equinox on your buy list."

Worst vehicle we have owned

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, quiet, well appointed"

Cons: "no air in rear, Quality, price"

"First problem was the rear main seal on engine leaking. Second was the transmission pump seal. Third was the timing chain and gears replaced. Fourth was the electronics that control the radio, heater, nav, and everything else went crazy. After these have been fixed no problems in the last 3000 miles. Timing set is getting noisy again. What a piece of Chevrolet junk!!!!!!!!"

Fuel economy is not as advertised

By on Monday, October 10, 2011

Pros: "handles well, comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "rough changing of gears (transmission)"

"We really like this vehicle's looks, handling and comfort, but we bought it because it was advertised to get 32 mpg on the highway. Unfortunately ours only gets around 23.8 on the highway when we drove it cross country. We now have nearly 8,000 miles on the car and the mileage has not improved. In town our gas mileage averages around 19 mpg. We have taken it back to the dealership twice complaining about the lack of gas economy with no action taken. We even wrote a complaint to GM. We received a call back with the only satisfaction of having them report our discontent with the engineering department."

disappointment

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"I bought a 2010 Equinox 2LT 4cyl 2wd. 1. The fold flat front seat is no longer available making the load length considerably shorter. I feel this was a dumb move for a utility vehicle. 2. I have been driving with a light foot and I have only managed 23.7 mpg. I am in eco mode and 80% of my driving is on a 4 lane with the cruise on 60 mph. I hope this improves after I have a few thousand miles on the engine."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Equinox near Honolulu. See local deals