1997 Chevrolet Corvette

9.5

Based on 681 Ratings for the 1997 - 2004 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10

Feels the Road

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Exciting to drive, comfortablel, roomy back deck"

"I'm a gal driver, this is my third vette, I garage and cover my baby, she's 13 years old, am on my second set of tires, the original set began to granulate on me from age at 17,000 miles a year and a half ago. I love the way she feels the road--this is not a coach made vehicle, you will feel every bump, grade and twist in the road--you can tell you are in a true high performance sports car that is wicked fast. You can lose your butt in a heartbeat in this car if you don't understand how it performs because it can get away from you. On the other hand, it is reassuringly powerful with a very fast response. I'm short so I love the comfort of the auto adjust seats. I kept my other vettes a long time because these cars last and last so I'll probably keep her for another 5-6 years, I get offers on her pretty often. My others sold easily, also. That's a another good thing. I haven't had a lot of maintenance, only had to replace a window motor and headlamp motor, once again because of age, as well as the original wiper blades, hoses and belts. Do I get a kick out of being behind the wheel of this great vehicle? you bet--I also love walking away leaving challengers in the dust--when it's safe. For sure, I don't want to do anything that's gonna hurt my ride. Don't want to get tagged either, especially at my age, but it's nice to know that my car is a standout, can handle most any situation wherever we go and doesn't show her age. She's probably my last vette, but who knows?"

A real attention getter

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"As far as bang for the buck, you cannot beat a Corvette. World class performance for a reasonable price. The value holds as well, with new vettes going up, the C5 is able to retain most of its value. The handling is the best feature of this car. It simply grabs the road and drives through corners like no other. The only downside to this car is the runflat tires. I opted the last time to put BFG KDW tires on it and take my chances with a flat tire. The road noise was eliminater and the ride quality really improved."

Has been very reliable and still in good shape

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "It has served me well and been very reliable"

Cons: "this car has convinced me to buy a 2011 Vette"

"This is a company car that has given me very good service. It still averages 24.5 MPG. Drivers seat shows wear but is repairable. It has a lot of miles but still runs well. It gets all good miles and does not burn oil. the front seals are starting to get tired. I have used Mobil 1 for life of the car and change the oil every 5 to 6 thousand miles."

2003 50th Anniverery Car

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "Great power, handling and looks"

Cons: "could have had a little more refined interior"

"This is truly one of the nicest corvettes made. It drives great plenty of power and great gas milage. I love driving it with the top down always get lots of compliments. The car handles like a dream. Looking forward to getting a 2014 model next."

Z06 - Truly FAST Traffic

By on Thursday, April 17, 2008

"I purchased my 2003 Z06 Corvette used from a Chevy Dealer in 2007 and is my third Corvette. I am a 'Boomer' and a very experienced driver. I've had performance cars all my life, including a 1970 SS-396/375 w/ solid lifters, 1986 Dodge Shelby Charger, 1992 Corvette, 2000 Corvette Coupe and a 1990 Mustang HO 5.0 Notchback. Compared to this Z06, all my previous cars are irrelevant and crude. My Z06 becomes a part of me when I'm driving. It's responsive to every input...my every thought...my every twitch on the gas pedal and steering wheel. ----She's unbelievably FAST, and seems to get a 'second-wind' as I shift up through the power band. My Z06 is a totally different driving experience than my 2000 Vette. The 2000 is a great winter and foul-weather car...also fast in her own right, a much smoother ride...a cruiser...a wonderful, comfortable daily drive. The Z06 is a rougher ride...tighter, noisier...almost a race car that you can drive every day. So far, I have not been able to find enough safe, open road to explore the full potential of the Z06. ----The 2003 Z06 up's: Super Power with no modifications necessary, high-G road holding and turning abilities, excellent brakes, head-up display really works! (I wouldn't buy a Vette without head-up), wonderful Millennium Yellow paint, great gas mileage that keeps getting better (23.2 average driving to work in-town everyday. 26.6 on a recent trip from Maryland to SC - compared to 28.2 with my 2000 Vette). ----The 2003 Z06 down's: Cheap leather seats w/ weak seat-backs, notchy stiff shifter, unable to find all-season/winter tires or run-flats for my Z06 at any price (Goodyear F1 supercar summer tires only are recommended). ----FINAL WORDS: 2008 is a great time for 'muscle cars', sports cars and big power. But, Premium gasoline prices are hitting $3.70 a gallon now and predicted to go to $4.00, perhaps even $5.00 a gallon. The new CAFE standards will require 35-MPG per model by 2020. Therefore, the future of performance cars is uncertain at best. So, if you have any thoughts about buying a car of this ilk, this may be your last chance to follow your dream. My credo is 'For the money, a good used Corvette is generally better than almost any NEW car on the road today'. They hold their value well and driving a Vette elevates you into an exclusive Club inhabited only by you and your fellow Corvette drivers. The 2003 Z06 is safer, faster, stronger, better than every 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's muscle car I've ever driven...and, I've driven many! So, (in Vette-speak) pursue your passion! Buy a Vette. Remember to 'Save the Wave' and acknowledge fellow Vette drivers whenever you see them. -DJ"