1993 Chevrolet Corvette

Based on 283 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

Sports Car Nut Likes 'Vette

By on Sunday, September 09, 2007

"I've never been much of a Corvette guy, always preferred something European. However, when I purchased this '91 over a year ago from an online auction I soon fell in love. Styling: Those who don't keep up with cars still will ask me if this is a NEW Corvette! It's sleek, still looks modern, and has smooth lines. Quality: Since 1984, Corvettes have gotten better every year. My '91 isn't put together near as nicely as my 1986 Mercedes-Benz, but it's better than many domestics. Biggest problem have centered around the Bose "Gold" Stereo, the headlight motors and the power seat motors. The weatherstripping also tends to be problematic, and all of these are symptoms of poor design more than poor build quality. Reliability: I've replaced a water pump and an alternator in two years and 5000 miles of ownership. That sounds bad, but this car had 120,000 on it when I bought it, so its about time to be replacing these items. Comfort: This unit did not have the optional ride control. It's better than the 1971 MGB I had, and way-better than my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4, but it "ain't no Escalade". Still, what do you expect from a car with taught suspension and huge, low-profile tires? Performance: As I previously stated, Corvettes get better every year. I've had no problem dispatching any Mustang GT with a pimple-faced boy racer, but I've also seen some of the newer C-5s and C-6s take off- they are incredible! My 1991 equipped with an L-98 still is quick and averages 23 mpg. In summary, I've had 45+ cars in 28 years of driving. Most of these were sports cars, which included: Alfa-Romeo (GTV-6 2.5) Bricklin (SV-1) Chevrolet (Camaro Z-28 (2)) Chrysler Conquest TSi (a.k.a. Mit. Starion) Dodge (Stealth GT, Charger) Ford (Mustang, Mustang GT 5.0) Jaguar (XJS V-12 H.E, Vanden Plas) MG (MGB, MGC, MGC-GT) Opel (GT 1.9) Pontiac (Fiero 2M4) Porsche (911 Carerra) Triumph (Spitfire, TR-7, TR-8) Volkswagen (Scirocco) ...And more. This Corvette ranks right amongst the top of my list alongside the Porsche. It is easy to work on, easy to get parts for, and the targa top is so much better than a convertible or a T-top. To get the same performance out of a new car you would probably have to spend at least three times what I spent on this ride. Parts can be picked up at almost any retailer, and there is an enormous number of catalog vendors out there when you consider just how few Corvettes are built compared to other cars. If you're looking for a C-4 Corvette, it might pay off to look for a 1993 anniversary edition or any C-4 Grand Sport. Avoid cars that have had a lot of owners, and don't be afraid of a 6-speed. Just make sure you try the reverse first as they tend to have some problems."

My and girlfriends 89

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"Last year I decided to buy my girlfriend a C4 Vette. I have a worked Camaro and custom conv Stang. These cars freightend her. So the more moddest C4 seemed up our alley. Simply put, this is one of the the most beautiful car bodies out there. So we purchased one for a song that needed a little work. It is a black automatic, glass top, that came with C6 chrome rims. Really sharp. There are few other two seater that I could say you can get for 7-8000 with around 60k on them. The car accelerates quickly and with exhaust, chip, and cold air I would say you can hit 60 in around 5sec. The top speed is around 160, but the handling is hands down this cars strongest point. Both my other two are more powerful and modified, but the C4 with modern tires can easily keep pace. This is really a race car, just under powerd. Honestly this car would be able to out handle my conv mustang at high speeds. And that car is at the limit of its set up. Yeah thats how good it is. Enough with the good, now with the bad. Its noisey, cramped over long distances, under powered in todays standards, and pricey to fix. I think the price to fix is the worst part. When we got ours we had to put two headlight motors in. The cost of the motors... Try just under 800 dollars.One of the power seat motors went bad(of three on a seat), my mechanic put a make shift motor in. Cost of that 200, cost of Chevys way about 600. And you get all three only. They never intend you to just replace one. Plastic dash is plastic. Its craked in a small area freeing the headlight switch. This would be to extencsive to replace and its plastic that is coverd by plastic. So I superglued the crack and the switch. Not the most charming method, but its not seen and works well. The sound system in the 89-90 is the worst around. Bose changed it this year and it is known to go bad. Real bad! Static and it gets worse as you speed up. Two solutions. Put new bose speakers in(200+ a peice), or put a new head unit and speaker set up. The thing is the bose speakers are terrible. But each speaker has a amp. Meaning to change it you have to bypass the amp, and need to only use the two speaker wires and tape the amp wires. This took me a lot of trial and error. The head unit wasn't the easiest either, but not bad. Cost for all four larger speaker and head unit 350. Think about it. I am curently fixing acid rain and repaint the rear bumper cover. The rubber is known to have worn paint. But the engine and trans are solid in these cars. The TPI 5.7 is well known for very high milage when taken care of. I've seen a few over 250,000. But, most Vette owners don't drive that much. So that won't be the problem. On a normal car this would be no problem really, but a Vette can never be to perfect. So I will always have a project with it. She is board of it, but I am not. I love the targa top, but if your not pretty strong it would be difficult to take off by yourself. I get mad at it and frustrated, but one look at its swooping long hood, cool attitude, and sexy body lines I forgive it."

Perhaps THE BEST VALUE In a Sports Car Today

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Handling and "Its a Chevy" easy to service."

Cons: "Fall In (fine) but Climb Out"

"The 1996 Is The "Best of The C4's". Mine is the LT4 Collector Edition.(bought in 2007) Well documented the LT4 Engine was dramatically underrated by GM at 330HP. They did not want it to outshine the 1997 C5 at least officially. Many LT4's dyno north of 370hp.Mine is a 0-60 in 4.7sec car. What is often overlooked these days is that the original C4 was the "Best Handling Production Car Ever" upon its release. Went for a nice drive just yesterday through the twisty's outside town. Great fun to drive and like others mentioned, always get looks and compliments. I had to rate interior and convenience at 8 as egress is a challenge due to the high sills but when seated it is a true sports car cockpit. I mention value as my 1996 LT4CE is now starting to climb in value. Fine condition later C4's are a true sleeper in the market."

Most fun for the $$$

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "Everything about the car, great gas milage"

Cons: "Needs to be lighter"

"'93LT1. Bought it 17 years ago with 60K miles, now has about 100K. In 17 years only a fuel pump, one brake caliper and one wheel bearing. I did all the work myself, very cheap to get parts. Still has the original hoses, shocks etc and rides, handles. looks almost like new. Stored every winter (a couple times went 2 years in storage) and every time starts at the first "flick" of the key, amasing. What is really amasing is the gas milage. I did a few simple external engine mods and re-chipped the ECU (a total of $500 in parts, some off Ebay that were new that were never installed), got a little more power, but I can actually get 32-33mpg on the hyw at 70mph from a 19 year old car. about 21-22 in town, an avg of about 24-25. What other car can you get for $10,000 (or less) that gets that kind of milage and can do 170mph and be as reliable and so much fun to drive? Just can say enough about it and the value!!!"

Excellent, reasonably priced fun vehicle

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"Have owned this car for 5 years now and drive it about 3000mi/yr on avg. It has been great! It has nice tight steering, handles well, has plenty of power, and overall... is a great performer. Also quite comfortable even though from looking at it you would think it is not. Fuel economy is around 25mph and is quite good... the engine runs around 2000rpm at almost 80mph. I hope to enjoy this well into the future!"