2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

7.9

Based on 1296 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Too many problems!

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Pros: "Runs good when it will start."

Cons: "Too many to list!"

"Although I have always been a chevy kind of girl, this car should've never come off the assembly line! Too many problems to list, but the major one is the ignition. It won't let me take the key out of the ignition even after spending $100 to put in a new parking shift assembly. Keeps draining the battery. Now there is a recall on the electronic power steering. It just never ends. Although this car runs like a champ when it does run, the rest of the car is a piece of junk! I am trading it in the first chance I get!"

great on gas use it to commute

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

"seats are comfortable for about 2 hour drive, and longer a little less comfortable, engine and tranny smooth keep oil changed and will run forever."

bad parts

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "good size excellent milage"

Cons: "bad electronics"

"Suspension problems - lots of electrical problems"

Good value, for me at least.

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Budget transportation, great MPG"

Cons: "Budget transportation"

"I bought my 2008 Cobalt XFE new, sticker price $15,900 (before tax/delivery). I paid $12,500 total, after taxes and including delivery, It's getting very tough to find a brand new car that can be purchased for that price. My overall score is based on what I paid, if I had bought one of the higher trim levels and paid $17-$19k for this thing I would feel very differently about it. Value - Good radio, A/C, enough pickup to merge comfortably on the highway (the manual helps with that, drove an automatic version as a loaner once...yuck...) a fantastic vehicle for less than $13k out the door. Reliability - My experience with the Cobalt over 6 years is similar to every other GM vehicle I've owned, the drivetrain will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Each time I replace a front suspension component another starts clunking. The radio head unit doesn't turn on with the car sometimes (have to turn it off after driving a few miles and start the car again) and the HVAC blower has been doing the same lately, but will usually come on after a few minutes. Engine and transmission still drive like new at 125,000 miles, no loss of power and no slip in the trans. Quality - Budget car interior is a given in a budget car, as I said, if I had paid $17-19,000 for this car I would feel differently. Driving Dynamics - I didn't buy it because I was looking for a performance car and I don't expect it to be. It's a comfortable ride, no complaints. Design - Totally subjective, but I had to go with the two door because it looks like the designers actually spent time on the rear end. The four door looks like a budget car all around, at least I only have a budget car front end! Comfort & Convenience - I've driven from Michigan to both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, the seats are comfortable enough to support driving 520 miles straight, which the highway fuel economy allows for on the 12.9 gallon tank. I have averaged as high as 47MPG (driving I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska) and as low as 29MPG (100% city driving over 3 weeks...yuck) So fuel economy is one big convenience of this specific Cobalt."

Could have been a better car

By on Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pros: "good on gas"

Cons: "All kinds of electrical issues."

"Other than major power steering issues, and faulty door locks,and ignition problems, it has been ok. I had the power steering recall done at around 45k and at around 90 it went out again. probably because they replaced it with the same bad unit.ignition messed up and sometimes the locks just want to go up and down at will.i will never buy another G.M. car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Cobalt near Honolulu. See local deals