2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

7.8

Based on 1339 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

Interesting experience

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "comfort on long drives"

"I bought this car in early 2008 and the car had been a rental and already had around 40k on the dash when I got it. I have since driven it for 6 years and have just under 200k miles on it. It has been quite the champ for what I have demanded from it. I have driven it from Utah to: Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina(x2), New Jersey, California(x10), and I drove back to Utah in between each journey. Also, I drove the car for doing installations for a home security system company I worked at for 5 years, so the car was driven a minimum of 30k a year. In the time I have owned it, the fuel filter went out causing the fuel pump to go out twice. Recently the engine will randomly just turn off so it's time to take it to the shop again for only the 3rd time in it's life. I did get a new car last year and have retired this one to being a in town commuter since then, but I must say those 5 years of being a work car it was really reliable. It did get a little bit uncomfortable to sit in on long drives (it is only the coupe so I am sure it's worse than the sedan) but it was well worth the sacrifice for the gas mileage I was getting. I averaged around 29 to 30 mpg between city and highway both and I was doing about 50/50. Also, the trunk is huge, the entrance is a little small but I was able to fit an amazing amount of stuff in it."

Awesome small car with good ride for price.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "economical, reliable and sporty"

Cons: "ext. dents easily,int.stains easily,not powerful"

"This has been an economical reliable vehicle with a good ride for such a small car. I have had very few mechanical problems most of which were fixed while under warranty. I get close to 30 mpg highway and 24 to 25 in city! Interior looks nice and exterior design is smart. It is comfortable to drive even on long trips. The exterior however dents easily and the interior stains easily. Other than that I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a small car with good fuel economy and sporty look. It is roomy for front seat but close quarters in back. I have never been sorry for purchasing this car."

Great car...For a little while

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Good price, good ride"

Cons: "Maybe too fragile for is own good, short lifespan"

"I got mine used in '06 with 18000 miles on it and it was a great car. No complaints. Then 2 years ago, at about 65000 the trouble started (not out of the ordinary stuff for 65000 mile GM car). Like a domino effect all sorts of problems started and continued faster than I could keep up with. Simple stuff like brakes, rotors, struts, shocks, motor mounts, compressor, CV joints, some unexplained rattling in the front that no one seems able to find the source of, and now, having just broke 100,000 miles the transmission is going. Expected a much longer lifespan, but I've grown tired of dumping so much money into it every couple weeks. I've kept up with maintenance and repairs through the years, and I didn't beat it up too much, but over the last year I probably put about $2500+ into repairs and every month or so a new problem arrises. I was once madly in love with this car, but now I'm looking forward to getting her out of my life."

Horrible durability.

By on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pros: "Cheap car"

Cons: "not reliable."

"Bought this car as a certified used car. No where near my expectations from a Chevy vehicle. Went in multiple time for many things. Engine is good but everything else interior and comfort is horrible. Replaced front speaker, fan blower motor was replaced and after 10K miles is squealing, center shift column, drivers door panel, passenger interior door handle, ambient temperature does not register properly, water leaked inside fan air box, resulting in mold smell, rear shocks went bad and were replaced, front strut mounts replaced, seat belt buckles replaced, cam shaft solenoids, all covered under the certified warranty. What if I things went bad and there was no warranty? Only thing that wasn't replaced under warranty was the recall for the power steering motor. All i can say is buyer beware for putting 30K on a car in 2 years without a warranty I would have been BROKE!"

In love...

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"I have been the proud owner of a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt for seven months now, and I have loved every minute of it. I am used to driving a six cylinder, so I was worried about the Cobalt being a four cylinder, but after test driving it, I was sold! With the Cobalt, you can get the pep of a six cylinder with the gas mileage of a four cylinder! In this economy, you cannot beat that. I have an average of 30 mpg with about 50/50 city/highway driving. It rides smooth, even over our Mississippi roads! The only pitfalls are the seat comfort, but, as another reviewer pointed out, this is not a luxury model. Also, if you change your own oil, you have to buy a special little gadget to get the cap off easily. These are small prices to pay with everything else you get. It's a very cute car, too! However, my boyfriend doesn't mind driving it, for it's not too feminine for a guy to drive. If you are looking for an attractive, small, gas efficient, affordable model, this is the one for you!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Cobalt near Honolulu. See local deals