2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

7.8

Based on 1339 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

One of my best cars

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"I have owned nearly 20 vehicles in my life and the Chevy Cobalt has been my most reliable vehicle. I've had the car for almost four years now and am closing on 80,000 miles. The only maintenance that it has received is scheduled and oil changes. I put new tires on it at 65,000 miles. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to someone that likes reliability and good gas mileage."

It is what it is?

By on Monday, July 2, 2012

Pros: "great colors to choose from, looks great"

Cons: "cheaply made, many little failures"

2007 Cobalt LT

"I have a 2007 LT coupe. The Cobalt comes in eye popping colors (mine is orange) and is a great value for a driver who wants something that looks sporty without the pricetag. While the car's exterior is aesthetically pleasing and the interior simple and sharp, the car is cheaply made. I have had a lot of small issues, most which happened around 30,000 miles which was ridiculous: the passenger side window motor died, my front speakers/lock chimes/ turn signal sounds quit working, the control arm bearing on the passenger side has been replaced twice, and the thermostat only works occasionally. Aside from these small things, the power steering motor and fuel pumps were recalled by the manufacturer. Overall, you get what you pay for I guess. It hasn't left me stranded but it is annoying wondering what problem it will have next."

2007 Cobalt LT

Very nice car

By on Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pros: "sporty"

Cons: "not a family vehicle"

"I bought my Cobalt with my father during its first production year in 2005. Over seven years later, it is still as nice and dependable a car as it was then. I have driven this car to Seattle and back, as well as Georgia and back. I also drove to New England from New Jersey about 12 times up and back a few years ago with no issues, cruising at 80 on I-95. It is a cheap car (about $16,600 when I bought it), but is a great value when you throw in gas mileage, exterior style and power (not bad for a 4 cyl. eco-tec engine). It gives me what I want, being a single guy with a limited income. Seats are a little stiff and room is tight if you have 3 or 4 big people in the car. My electronic temp. gauge on the dash went down a few years back, but this is insignificant since if I need the outside temp I just roll down the windows!! The electronic door locks have also gone down. I checked the fuse, but seems to be a wiring issue. Again a minor inconvenience. Outside of routine maintenance , car looks great and drives smooth. Nice value."

Good style, comfortable ride, but cheaply built.

By on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, quick accl.."

Cons: "Stiff seats."

"I've always been a big Chevy fan. I jumped at the chance to purchase this car when I saw it in the used car lot. Had only 28,000 and had a clean history report. Very stylish car with a comfortable smooth ride. The seats are alittle stiff but not to bad. Very quick and pretty good on gas but not great. However after about a year of driving it, little things started to break. Like the gear clip on the shifter broke off, and the red gear indicator is stuck on gear 1 (automatic trans) so I have to make sure im in drive and not reservse when I go to take off. My trunk light stopped working after about 5 months, still havent replaced it just to big of a hassle. The Keyless entry fob remote stopped working because the metal clip that holds and battery down broke. Dont ever drop your remote! It doesnt take shock to well, cheaply made. Replacements are easily $160 out the door at the dealership. If your battery happens to die and you try to start the car, your key will get stuck in the ignition due to the electronic ignition switch not receiveing any power. Major pain in the behind. However is it possible to manualy override that by popping open the small door under the steering collem and pressing the little white button (kinda hard to see but it is accessible) Well that has been my expeience with my 2009 Chevy Cobalt 4D LT. If you read this I hope I have helped! I give this car a 7/10 overall rating. If you can get a good price for this car I absolutely reccomend it! Just don't over pay."

Safe! Vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"My daugher was hit by a driver who crossed the center line. The front drivers side of the car took full impact. The car was totaled, but she walked away! I'm grateful, i bought this car! I only wish I didn't have to replace it!"

Interesting experience

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "comfort on long drives"

"I bought this car in early 2008 and the car had been a rental and already had around 40k on the dash when I got it. I have since driven it for 6 years and have just under 200k miles on it. It has been quite the champ for what I have demanded from it. I have driven it from Utah to: Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina(x2), New Jersey, California(x10), and I drove back to Utah in between each journey. Also, I drove the car for doing installations for a home security system company I worked at for 5 years, so the car was driven a minimum of 30k a year. In the time I have owned it, the fuel filter went out causing the fuel pump to go out twice. Recently the engine will randomly just turn off so it's time to take it to the shop again for only the 3rd time in it's life. I did get a new car last year and have retired this one to being a in town commuter since then, but I must say those 5 years of being a work car it was really reliable. It did get a little bit uncomfortable to sit in on long drives (it is only the coupe so I am sure it's worse than the sedan) but it was well worth the sacrifice for the gas mileage I was getting. I averaged around 29 to 30 mpg between city and highway both and I was doing about 50/50. Also, the trunk is huge, the entrance is a little small but I was able to fit an amazing amount of stuff in it."

Awesome small car with good ride for price.

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "economical, reliable and sporty"

Cons: "ext. dents easily,int.stains easily,not powerful"

"This has been an economical reliable vehicle with a good ride for such a small car. I have had very few mechanical problems most of which were fixed while under warranty. I get close to 30 mpg highway and 24 to 25 in city! Interior looks nice and exterior design is smart. It is comfortable to drive even on long trips. The exterior however dents easily and the interior stains easily. Other than that I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a small car with good fuel economy and sporty look. It is roomy for front seat but close quarters in back. I have never been sorry for purchasing this car."

Great car...For a little while

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Good price, good ride"

Cons: "Maybe too fragile for is own good, short lifespan"

"I got mine used in '06 with 18000 miles on it and it was a great car. No complaints. Then 2 years ago, at about 65000 the trouble started (not out of the ordinary stuff for 65000 mile GM car). Like a domino effect all sorts of problems started and continued faster than I could keep up with. Simple stuff like brakes, rotors, struts, shocks, motor mounts, compressor, CV joints, some unexplained rattling in the front that no one seems able to find the source of, and now, having just broke 100,000 miles the transmission is going. Expected a much longer lifespan, but I've grown tired of dumping so much money into it every couple weeks. I've kept up with maintenance and repairs through the years, and I didn't beat it up too much, but over the last year I probably put about $2500+ into repairs and every month or so a new problem arrises. I was once madly in love with this car, but now I'm looking forward to getting her out of my life."

Horrible durability.

By on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pros: "Cheap car"

Cons: "not reliable."

"Bought this car as a certified used car. No where near my expectations from a Chevy vehicle. Went in multiple time for many things. Engine is good but everything else interior and comfort is horrible. Replaced front speaker, fan blower motor was replaced and after 10K miles is squealing, center shift column, drivers door panel, passenger interior door handle, ambient temperature does not register properly, water leaked inside fan air box, resulting in mold smell, rear shocks went bad and were replaced, front strut mounts replaced, seat belt buckles replaced, cam shaft solenoids, all covered under the certified warranty. What if I things went bad and there was no warranty? Only thing that wasn't replaced under warranty was the recall for the power steering motor. All i can say is buyer beware for putting 30K on a car in 2 years without a warranty I would have been BROKE!"

In love...

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"I have been the proud owner of a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt for seven months now, and I have loved every minute of it. I am used to driving a six cylinder, so I was worried about the Cobalt being a four cylinder, but after test driving it, I was sold! With the Cobalt, you can get the pep of a six cylinder with the gas mileage of a four cylinder! In this economy, you cannot beat that. I have an average of 30 mpg with about 50/50 city/highway driving. It rides smooth, even over our Mississippi roads! The only pitfalls are the seat comfort, but, as another reviewer pointed out, this is not a luxury model. Also, if you change your own oil, you have to buy a special little gadget to get the cap off easily. These are small prices to pay with everything else you get. It's a very cute car, too! However, my boyfriend doesn't mind driving it, for it's not too feminine for a guy to drive. If you are looking for an attractive, small, gas efficient, affordable model, this is the one for you!"

Nothing but problems

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"My girlfriend and I recently purchased a 2006 Cobalt in November of 2006 and it has had two major problems since. Shortly after purchasing it, the door broke due to a manufacturer defect and if it was not under warranty the repairs would have cost us somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000. They actually had to destroy the paneling in order to repair the door. More recently, the power steering has gone out. For some reason they decided to go to Electric Power Steering thus forcing us to have to go to the dealer for repairs for what is once again a manufacturer defect. Now the car is no longer under warranty and the repairs are going to cost roughly $2000. That is $3000 worth of repairs needed on a car that we thought we were getting a deal on. I would have happily paid the extra money for an upgraded import at this point. Please be careful before buying this car and I highly recommend an extended warranty if you do decide to go forward with a purchase."

POOR VEHICLE

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "GREAT PRICE, GREAT GAS MILEAGE"

Cons: "RECALLS"

"THIS PRODUCT HAS HAD ALOT OF RECALLS AND MY COBALT UNFORTUNATELY HAD POWER STEERING FAILURE AND NEEDED TO BE REPLACED SEVERAL TIMES. THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH AND LOCK CYLINDERS.THE ENGINE WORKS WELL AND THE DESIGN IS COMPACT AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE. IT ALSO GETS GREAT GAS MILEAGE. HOWEVER, IT WAS A HEADACHE TO CONSTANTLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE DEALERSHIP CONSTANTLY WITH MULTIPLE RECALLS AND DEFECTS IN THE PRODUCT I PURCHASED."

BEST CAR EVER

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "price, steering, gas mileage, cute, fun to drive"

Cons: "cloth seats are hard to keep clean"

"I have owned a blue 2005 chevy cobalt ls sedan for 5 years and have had only 2 problems with it. It has been a very reliable car and though it's small it's roomier than you think. The best thing about the car might be the tight steering. This car can make such sharp turns it's amazing! The gas mileage is also great. Plus the car is very cute love it, wish they still made it"

Greatcar...a few bad points

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

"This is a sporty, flashy car that still gets glances...yellow! The car has needed no mechanical work in 75,000 miles and on original battery. The interior was skimped on and all Cobalt owners complain that Chevy screwed up. It is hard plastic with cloth that stains even with normal arm sweat. Although I love this car, I am embarrassed to have people in it."

Daily driver

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "Practical 1-2 person car, great millage!"

Cons: "Suspention is average"

"First off, my cobalt is an 08 LS coup XFE 5 speed manual. I Bought this car used 2+ years ago with hardly any miles. It has been a super daily driver for my 120 mile DAILY commute! The only thing i have done to this car is gas, oil, and maintinance. I have had 0 unexpected costs and 0 problems. I shopped around for the XFE, higher than normal drive ratio, and it has paid off in the long run. With thoughtful driving i get 38-40 mpg with thIs car on my commute, and i have never gotten less than 36 mpg. Im doing as well as a prius at 1/4th the cost of those ugly boxes! To be honest the suspention is not sporty, but comfortable for a short wheelbase car. The engine is well...big for a compact car, 2.2 L is alot since most cars this size are 1.6 L or so. The engine is not as peppy as a lot of the japanese engines of the same size, but with a manual trans you have a good, yes good, amount of get up and go for a quick pass or a zip up and down the road if you wish. On the plus side if you have the " basic" 15 or 16 inch rims tires are cheap and there are plenty of choices."

Great car for the price

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"I bought my '05 SS Supercharged Cobalt in Dec '07. With the somewhat high miles the car had when I bought it (39k) it runs like a new car. Maintenance on it is easy and the available GM performance upgrades are a plus for those who want a little more power out of it. The exterior styling is excellent. The only downside is the big wing on the trunk blocks the rear view making your rear-view mirror almost useless. The interior doesn't look like other Chevrolet cars, which is a plus. The SS emblem on the dash and the sport seats with the embroided "SS" really add that extra touch to give it a unique feel. If you are tall, 6'2"+, leg room can be a bit cramped. The seats are comfortable enough for short trips but look to something else for the longer trips. The Pioneer sound system with subwoofer in the trunk is excellent compared to most of the audio systems in Chevrolet's car lineup. Trunk space is nice, but the opening is very small so don't expect to put large boxes and such in it. My SS is good on gas mileage. Averaging around 25 mpg city driving and 34 mpg highway driving. It has been mechanically sound, with no problems so far. It can be quick and the power kicks in instantly thanks to the supercharger. To sum it up. It's a great car with the power needed to pass, merge, and spend weekends at the track."

05 Cobalt

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"I purchased by 2005 Cobalt new in June of 2005. Overall I have been very pleased by this vehicle, however, there were several small problems - the radio locked up and had to be replaced, the floor shift assembly had to be replaced because it would lock the steering column, the gas cap had to be replaced because it was not sealing properly, and the taillight access cover in the trunk was replaced because it did not stay in place properly. Chevy made good on its warranty, and I paid no out of pocket expenses for any of these repairs. Other than those small problems, the car has performed wonderfully the entire time I've owned it. I've never had a break down and have not had any repairs other than the small items handled under the warranty. This car is a great car for commuting or for younger drivers because it is very easy to handle and gas efficient. I will be trading in my car only because it is a two door model and my family is expanding and I will need a four door vehicle soon."

Good for the Price!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I bought a laser blue 2-door LS in September 2007. It was a 2007 vehicle, and I got $2000 off of the base price because of an end-of-the-year sale. I settled for this car because I'm young and didn't have any credit, and needed to buy a cheaper car in order to build credit by making payments. I paid over what my payment was every month in order to pay it off as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, February 7th, 2008, I hit a patch of ice while going around a corner, and hit a ditch going about 40-45mph. My car was trashed badly. They make cars to crumple on impact, and luckily, I walked away with a shoulder contusion and a burned hand (from the airbag deploying). I think this is a nice, safe vehicle! My car was totaled out just the other day (officially), and even though I *do* like this car, I will not buy another. If you want to feel safe in the wintertime, and while driving in heavy winds, I wouldn't really recommend this car to you. If you like a nice-looking, sporty-ish car that is fuel-efficient and has a great paint job, this IS a great car! (I really want an SUV or truck with 4WD/AWD so that I feel safer when I drive. The safer I feel, the more comfortable and less nervous I get.) My only complaints are that the pickup speed is low. It's not much different than my old 1997 Cavalier LS. The trunk is bad. I hated that aspect of it, but really, it wasn't a big deal to me. The trunk is nice and deep, but the opening isn't wide enough to put a rubbermaid tub in, let alone big suitcases/luggage. Bending over too far to pull groceries out can be a bit of a pain. It handles well around curves, gas mileage is splendid, gas tank is on the passenger side (a plus for me, because all my cars have been that way so far!), and my favorite part- the cup holders for the driver/passenger in the front are very nicely located! They get in the way of the heating/AC controls a little, but your cups stay in the holders without a problem. (My 1997 Cavalier was definitely the worst where cup holders were concerned. You couldn't keep a drink in it for five seconds! I was pleasantly surprised with that feature in this car.) The seats are a little uncomfortable on long drives (from Ohio to Virginia, for example), but I didn't expect a lot out of a cheap car, either. Overall though, the car is comfortable enough. I drove it as a work car, and never had a problem in the almost 6 months I owned it! All in all, if you want a nice car that drives well and is great on gas, go for it! It's well worth the price, and in my right-fender accident, it did well safety-wise as well. I was very upset to see it totaled."

Great car for the price

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I've had my cobalt for a year and a half and I love it. Gas mileage is a little high for a small car, and long drives aren't exactly the most comfortable but it has held up well. I've made no repairs to the car. I was in a five car wreck and the car held up well. And, my passenger and I weren't injured considering the circumstances. If you have a large family, the backseat may be too small. But, for two passengers the car is great and I highly recommend this car to anyone who wants a economical, inexpensive car!"

Bad Experience

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"I love the style and the look of my cobalt but i have had to have major repairs done since i bought it. It is one year old and i had to replace the fuel pump, shift shaft, and had insulation but it around the wheel well because of a rubbing noise that was being made. For a 06 car with 19000 miles these problems should not be happening."

Best Vehicle for the price!!!

By on Monday, July 7, 2014

Pros: "great mileage, takes the bumps on roadways easy."

Cons: "no cigarette lighter, no cruise control."

"I always loved the Chevy Cavalier. The older models were the best. The dealer told me the Chevy Cobalt was designed just like it. I was hesitant at first. After owning this car for 5 years I Love it. I wouldn't want any other car. I have had my share of Fords, and GMC's and never owned them longer than a year or two. I was amazed that my car after 5 years had just rolled over to 100,000 and I didn't have to put as much money in to it as what the original cost was. GREAT CAR. If I ever have to buy another car it would be the same. Only thing different is I would add cruise control. Even if I had to get an older model. LOVE MY COLBALT!!!"

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, fast, classy looking, air and heat"

Cons: "no power windows or moon roof-less to break"

"Handles well at high speeds, ALWAYS starts, even at low New England winter temperatures. Comfortable ride. 5 speed,classy, sporty looking, rear spoiler, black, awesome shine, great hubs. If it weren't for my beautiful, 4 legged, 130 companion (who doesn't fit in the back seat), I would keep this car until her last breath. I have kept it clean. Interior is same as day I bought it. Seat covers, no stains. No rust, regularly maintained. Kindly driven."

this car is a trooper

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

"seems bullet proof. my son's friend accidentally drove into a dried lake bed, and only broke the radiator. it just runs, and is easy to drive. visibility is outstanding. easiest car to get around town. we all prefer driving it on errands rather than the other cars. I have only good things to say about it."

good little car

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"There is not very much room in the back seat or the trunk but it's plenty for suitcases and travel supplies for 2 or 3 people. Drove my car for 93,500 miles with no problems but the transmission went out today. Has been a good car but I did not expect to have that happen so soon."

Amazing dependable car

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "fast, sporty"

Cons: "basic model"

"I have had this car about a year, it has high mileage but drives like its new. so obviously it is well built. I love everything except the base ls model. no power windows. locks, cruise, ect. other than than, its a wonderful car :)"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Cobalt near Honolulu. See local deals