2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

7.9

Based on 1301 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

worst vehicle ever!

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "dashboard tac, decent gas mileage, mp3 cd player"

Cons: "mechanical problems, no aux jack, dealer parts"

"As if the barrage of news articles weren't enough to scare you away from this literal death trap, here's an insider look from an unfortunate owner of a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. The short version: run the other way. This car was okay for the first year. But, as you may have seen in the news, after year one it started having all sorts of issues: power steering recall, ignition switch (deadly) recall, ABS issues...and more recently, power window motor out, driver's side window fell out of socket (however that happens), the key gets stuck in the ignition and has to be released using a small button beneath the steering column, charge sys problems and electrical problems...I mean, just an absolute nightmare. And, what's worse, because of the hideous news coverage, the value (as if there ever was any) has now plummeted making the whole thing a total loss. Well, even though it may not affect GM/Chevy profit margins, this car has convinced me to run away and stay away."

I bought this car new and still like it very much.

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "Visually appealing, good price, reliable"

Cons: "Rear-side window visibility"

"The only problems I found were that the rear-side window visibility required adjustment and I'd hoped for better mileage with combination city-highway use. (Excellent highway only MPG.)"

A very reliable veichle.

By on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pros: "going good"

Cons: "cant think of any."

"Would get one again if they had them."

Great daily driver with a kick!

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Pros: "great price, cheap repair parts, good ride"

Cons: "Factory speakers aren't that great"

"My version of this car is all stock. No power windows or locks, 2.2 engine, with a manual transmission. However, even for lacking all those options, it still has cruise control! I bought this vehicle with 95k on it, and so far the only semi major repair I've had to make is replacing the throttle body. The parts are cheap, maintenance for the DIY person is easy, and once you replace the original clutch with a stage 2 this car has alot of get up and go!"

A lot of bang for your buck.

By on Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Pros: "Loads of fun, reasonably priced, fun to customize"

Cons: "Short first gear, wheel hop in second"

"As a sports coupe, and Chevrolets first attempt to match the Japanese imported tuner, the Cobalt SS SC is really quite a car. Stock 205 horsepower with additional SC upgrade kits is nothing to overlook. The standard 5 speed tranny does a good job of getting the power to the road, with minimal drawbacks i.e. The very short first gear and on optimal traction situations a little wheel hop in second. Like any car the driver has a large roll in keeping things like that under control. The styling of the car, in my opinion, is quite nice and reflects the cars target market, young wanna-be racers. Dont let that fool you, the car will deliver a hard blow to any competiter that wants to line up next to it. The SS SC Cobalt is tons of fun to drive, and would make a great addition to any tuner racers arsonal."

Too many problems!

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Pros: "Runs good when it will start."

Cons: "Too many to list!"

"Although I have always been a chevy kind of girl, this car should've never come off the assembly line! Too many problems to list, but the major one is the ignition. It won't let me take the key out of the ignition even after spending $100 to put in a new parking shift assembly. Keeps draining the battery. Now there is a recall on the electronic power steering. It just never ends. Although this car runs like a champ when it does run, the rest of the car is a piece of junk! I am trading it in the first chance I get!"

great on gas use it to commute

By on Sunday, December 21, 2014

"seats are comfortable for about 2 hour drive, and longer a little less comfortable, engine and tranny smooth keep oil changed and will run forever."

bad parts

By on Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pros: "good size excellent milage"

Cons: "bad electronics"

"Suspension problems - lots of electrical problems"

Good value, for me at least.

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Budget transportation, great MPG"

Cons: "Budget transportation"

"I bought my 2008 Cobalt XFE new, sticker price $15,900 (before tax/delivery). I paid $12,500 total, after taxes and including delivery, It's getting very tough to find a brand new car that can be purchased for that price. My overall score is based on what I paid, if I had bought one of the higher trim levels and paid $17-$19k for this thing I would feel very differently about it. Value - Good radio, A/C, enough pickup to merge comfortably on the highway (the manual helps with that, drove an automatic version as a loaner once...yuck...) a fantastic vehicle for less than $13k out the door. Reliability - My experience with the Cobalt over 6 years is similar to every other GM vehicle I've owned, the drivetrain will outlast the rest of the vehicle. Each time I replace a front suspension component another starts clunking. The radio head unit doesn't turn on with the car sometimes (have to turn it off after driving a few miles and start the car again) and the HVAC blower has been doing the same lately, but will usually come on after a few minutes. Engine and transmission still drive like new at 125,000 miles, no loss of power and no slip in the trans. Quality - Budget car interior is a given in a budget car, as I said, if I had paid $17-19,000 for this car I would feel differently. Driving Dynamics - I didn't buy it because I was looking for a performance car and I don't expect it to be. It's a comfortable ride, no complaints. Design - Totally subjective, but I had to go with the two door because it looks like the designers actually spent time on the rear end. The four door looks like a budget car all around, at least I only have a budget car front end! Comfort & Convenience - I've driven from Michigan to both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, the seats are comfortable enough to support driving 520 miles straight, which the highway fuel economy allows for on the 12.9 gallon tank. I have averaged as high as 47MPG (driving I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska) and as low as 29MPG (100% city driving over 3 weeks...yuck) So fuel economy is one big convenience of this specific Cobalt."

Could have been a better car

By on Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pros: "good on gas"

Cons: "All kinds of electrical issues."

"Other than major power steering issues, and faulty door locks,and ignition problems, it has been ok. I had the power steering recall done at around 45k and at around 90 it went out again. probably because they replaced it with the same bad unit.ignition messed up and sometimes the locks just want to go up and down at will.i will never buy another G.M. car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Cobalt near Honolulu. See local deals