2002 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews

good for the money

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"If you whant a car that is good on gas but has that little extra power when you need it. This is the one! It also has very good handiling. I have had mine since new that was 8 years and 120,000 miles ago. No problems so far and I push on her pretty bad. Also on a side note this car is compatable with most z28 parts. So if you see one for a good price do not let it go.I for one am very pleased."

Third Vehicle

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"My '95 Camaro Z-28 is the third car I have had (first was a'99 Dodge Dakota, second was a '88 Camaro RS). It has the six speed, oil coiler, t-tops, limited slip, most of the options you could get. The transmission shifts really nicely (mine has an after-market shift knob and shifter because the stock shifter is about ten feet tall). I also can get up to 25 MPG because of the tall gearing. Performance: The performance is nice to say the least. I can usually burn the tires through the first two gears and sometimes squeak them going into third and that's with wider after-market wheels. It handles like it is on rails (pulls a little above .9 g's). Stops quite quickly, the only complaint about the breaks is that they can fade rather quickly (still better than most of the cars out on the road though). Because the Camaro has the SBC in it if you wanted to do any performance modifications then the sky is the limit. From stroking it to supercharging it, even twin turbo-charging not to mention all the other doo-dads. Also, the gearing in the six speed (T-56) coupled with gearing in the rear end and tire size (drag not included) makes potential top speed of the Camaro 202 MPH, but it doesn't have nearly the power or down force to do it so don't go trying it anytime soon. However, it does have a good top speed with it topping out at about 160 MPH. 0-60 is in the higher 5's with quarters running in the higher 13's. The only complaint I have is that you can't run it through the gears before going over the speed limit. Often times it's first, second, sixth. Comfort: The interior is comfortable with everything nicely positioned, my single complaint about the interior is that it only has one cup holder. Also, if you're a fan of marshmallow cars with soft rides, this car may be somewhat uncomfortable. However, if you've been driving a third gen Camaro going to a fourth, it's a major improvement. And this slight discomfort pays off when going around a turn. It has plenty of leg room and head room (I'm 6' and have no problem fitting it it) and the seats are very comfortable. Leg room (or space at all) in the back is very limited but if you want you can throw your two friends in the back that you like the least and it's do-able. Reliability: So far I have had no problems with reliability. The only problems I have had with it are because of age and high mileage (150,000 and still going strong). The first was the through-out bearing going through the clutch but that was because the last person who owned it didn't install it right and used old parts, didn't resurface the flywheel, etc. The other problem I have had with it is some minor oil leakage. It's very minimal but from what I've read these fourth gen Camaros can have some problems leaking some oil when they get into higher miles. Another problem to consider has to do with the windows. Because they don't have a frame around them they can get off track more easily than other framed windows can. In the end it's a Chevy small block; the design has been around since 1917 and is still being used today so they must of done something right. That mated to a stout transmission (T-56, used in the Viper, Mustang and Corvette too) and a sturdy rear end will probably outlive you. Styling: I love the styling on it personally, but that's really up to an individual to decide upon. Quality: It's a Chevrolet. Don't expect it to be a Maybach. Nevertheless, it does have a good fit and finish and I'm not all that picky. Value: I don't think that these will decrease in value as long as you take care of them but I also don't foresee them becoming big classics all of the sudden. If you want one that will hold a higher value try going for some of the last ones ('00-'02). They usually have a higher price tag. They are really good bang for the buck and I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. In conclusion the Camaro is a great car, I've really enjoyed mine (my second now) and would recommend it to just about anybody. It has performance, comfort, reliability, style and overall it's just fun to drive."

Best bang for the buck at the time!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Best performance car at the price in 1998."

Cons: "Some may consider the ride a bit taught."

1998 Z28 Camaro

"I bought the '98 Z28 new to use as a commuter car, replacing my '86 Corvette. I just couldn't see wearing out another Vette commuting to work and back. While the Z28 didn't handle near as well as the Vette, it did have perhaps a bit more power. I have 64K miles on it now and have not had any problems, except for air conditioning loss of Freon and a leaky clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is a bid deal on a Camaro, as it is an integral part of the throwout bearing. That means that the transmission has to be removed to replace it! IMO, this was a big mistake on GM's part, just to save a couple of dollars in manufacturing. That said, the power of the LS1 engine is impressive and published dyno tests indicate that the horse power was underrated. Rear wheel HP is typically around 290. Considering that the car is light by today's standards, it is quick. The driveline is tighter than the '86 Vette and the body far more solid, with very few rattles. Handling is not anywhere as good as the Vette, but better than most cars. Gas millage is very good, considering that the engine is 5.7L, and I average around 24MPG commuting and 27MPG on trips. For a quick, go fast, good handling car, I don't think there was any competition at the time. The brakes are stellar! BTW, I searched hard to get my Z28 with a solid top, as I had my fill of flexing bodies and water leaks. All in all, a great car at the price. Unfortunately, now at 74 years of age, I am not so forgiving of the low entry and firm ride. I'm sure though that a younger person will enjoy it as much as I did."

1998 Z28 Camaro

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted