2001 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews

Best bang for the buck at the time!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Best performance car at the price in 1998."

Cons: "Some may consider the ride a bit taught."

1998 Z28 Camaro

"I bought the '98 Z28 new to use as a commuter car, replacing my '86 Corvette. I just couldn't see wearing out another Vette commuting to work and back. While the Z28 didn't handle near as well as the Vette, it did have perhaps a bit more power. I have 64K miles on it now and have not had any problems, except for air conditioning loss of Freon and a leaky clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is a bid deal on a Camaro, as it is an integral part of the throwout bearing. That means that the transmission has to be removed to replace it! IMO, this was a big mistake on GM's part, just to save a couple of dollars in manufacturing. That said, the power of the LS1 engine is impressive and published dyno tests indicate that the horse power was underrated. Rear wheel HP is typically around 290. Considering that the car is light by today's standards, it is quick. The driveline is tighter than the '86 Vette and the body far more solid, with very few rattles. Handling is not anywhere as good as the Vette, but better than most cars. Gas millage is very good, considering that the engine is 5.7L, and I average around 24MPG commuting and 27MPG on trips. For a quick, go fast, good handling car, I don't think there was any competition at the time. The brakes are stellar! BTW, I searched hard to get my Z28 with a solid top, as I had my fill of flexing bodies and water leaks. All in all, a great car at the price. Unfortunately, now at 74 years of age, I am not so forgiving of the low entry and firm ride. I'm sure though that a younger person will enjoy it as much as I did."

1998 Z28 Camaro

Teens dream

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Stick shift, T-Tops, Speed and acceleration"

Cons: "Gas milage"

"I have had this car for just over a year. I was nervous to get this as a first car because of the stick but now I love to drive the stick in this car. It doesn't get the best mpg around 18. In the last year i have had to replace the clutch pressure plate and fuel pump but these are the first major repairs that the car has had in its life time. If you get one with T-tops it is one of the funnest things to drive around in. The car has many aftermarket parts that you can get to enhance the performance and make it sound like a beast."

bad design flaw

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "good gas milage"

Cons: "optispark distributor location"

"I've owned my Camaro for 11 years and all I've done is put distributor after distributor into it every 2 years!! Its crazy!! But otherwise the motor is solid for its age and milage."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted