1999 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 991 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

Reliable-fast-cool

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"This is the second Camaro I have bought new- the last one was a 98 base model-this being a Z28 with the V-8. Neither car has had ANY problems! I drive in a performance style and the Camaro is perfect for spirited driving. I have the 6 speed-it gets over 30 mpg in straight hiway driving! Of course your city mileage is worse-but still gets around 16-17 in strictly stop and go stuff for me. To be fair-this car isn't for everyone-you have to like to sit low to the ground and be flexible enough to get in and out-not for the grandma-grandpa types! But then again I am nearing 50 myself-just seem to be in better shape than some.... Anyway that's the common complaint I hear about the car is the way it is low to the ground seating-it doesnt bother me in the least. I like that-you drive one and decide for yourself. I love the acceleration the all alloy V-8 gives, and the 6 speed is a thrill too-the double overdrive gives amazing top speed and great gas mileage at 70-80 mph. All that and no problems to speak of in 6 years of ownership is a pretty amazing testamonial-GO GET ONE!"

awsome ride

By on Monday, October 8, 2007

"great gas milage no break downs ever,faster than the mustang.drives like its on rails.the hugger orange paint realy turns heads.just a awsome ride."

superfast z

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"Add on a superchips microtuner, borla cat-back, and K&N FIPK and you have a rocket!"

Best I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"I bought this car when it had 119000 miles on it and it still ran ridiculously strong. It now has 125000 miles on it and has not changed a bit. It was an amazing experience driving with the T-tops off in the summer. It had two silver racing stripes down the center as well, which got it lots of attention. Many mustangs lined up side by side with me and I am proud to say that all ended up behind me. Whether it be a new GT or an old GT...I smoked them all.The leather interior was very comfortable in my Z28. In the end I beat myself though. just the other day I was driving a girl home and i spun it out into a tree at 90 plus...totaled it. I plan to somehow buy another one in the future. I want no other car as much as a Z28. I don't think I will ever want to own another type of vehicle. The power will never leave you unsatisfied. I loved my Z28."

Amazing Car still at 190k mi

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I've owned a 2000 Camaro SS since 2003 when I bought it at 40k miles. It has needed very little repair work, especially considering that I drive it like a race car. It only got 4 stars on reliability because of premature drivetrain failures, due to the powerful engine being used vigorously. The engine has been incredibly reliable itself. I would recommend this car to anyone that wants a high performance vehicle that is fun to drive, is still capable of over 30 mpg hywy (6 spd manual), and is nearly as reliable as a Honda. This car averages about 13.5 1/4 mile times w/6spd, and 13.9 w/auto. I could not have bought a better car for the price, period."

Best Bang for Buck

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "great price, great fun, great looks, great mods"

Cons: "simplistic plastic interior"

"Burnouts all day long"

Awesome car, never regretted buying it new

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive, still looks cool!"

Cons: "They are getting older..."

"I bought this car new in late 2001 and still get a kick out of it every time I drive it. I have only had a couple of minor problems in all these years, not many cars you can buy new and drive for 12 years and say that about. Watch out for ones that somebody has driven the snot out of, these cars are fast and could attract an abusive driver. Driven reasonably, using the speed for traffic situations, the good braking and handling for accident avoidance, and it's one heck of a commute!"

Decent fuel economy, underpowered, fun car

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "reliable(manual trans),great handling,decent fuel"

Cons: "under powered,limited pasenger room"

"The 3.8L engine should have gotten the same upgrades as the buick version for a better output to fuel consumption ratio but overall it performs well when needed. Basic maintenance is relatively simple with the oil,fuel,air filters, spark plugs,belt,headlamps and brakes being easily accessible (serviceable). Should have come with factory tint on back and side windows. Great drivability, smooth ride for a sports car. Space is limited for larger body types and pasenger room (comfort) is very limited,but has a cup holder for all 4, I've seen worse. Tie downs in cargo area, trunk will fit a full size spare, fold down rear seat are some plus features. The brakes could be bigger but hold up to daily driving and stretching the fuel capacity would have been nice. Some a/c vents for the rear would help cool the cabin faster. Slightly higher gear ratio on the manual trany version would alow better cruising rpm and alow more use of the engine torque instead of having to rev it out. Also they should have kept the aluminum drive shaft from the prev years. T-tops are a fun option but not improved since the 1970's. This is overall a great,fun car for the money and will do all of the spedometer."

Great car

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

"love the car . I had it from new 1998 one owner but must downsize for a move south. I had planned to keep it forever but times changed.Very powerfull and fun to drive."

SO great that I bought it back...

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Cheap power and easily modified for more!!!"

Cons: "Interior plastics should have been designed better"

"Power and looks are great. I sold my Camaro 2 yrs ago and bought it back after the previous owner only put 3500 miles on the car. Compared to the price of a new Camaro, these 98-02 SS & Z28s are the best bang for your buck!"

A fun car to drive/own

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful, fast, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not for everyone."

"A fun car to drive/own. A garage car but has really never had any repair expenses to it."

NICE RIDE

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"BOUGHT NEW AND WILL KEEP FOREVER"

great car very fast

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Extreamly fun to drive"

Cons: "Tires get expensive"

"I have owned this car for about 5 years now. The only problems I have had with it have been caused by a drag radials and putting 4:10 gears in it. I own multiple cars and this is by far the most fun to drive. It gets great fuel economy even with the mods I have done to it and handles better then any car I have ever driven."

overall BEST vehicle i have owned

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "FUN-POWERFUL-handles awesome, sounds beautiful."

Cons: "smog equipment sucks!"

sweet ride

"I love to drive, and this machine is one awesome ride! The 6speed manual transmission has an excellent gear ratio, the engine has the nicest sounding rumble and is so powerful, and this vehicle sticks to the road. The steering feels great, and the braking system is unbelievable. I have had this car for 9 years-I did replace the tranny at about 135k, but the engine is still running strong. As for the exterior and mechanical design, the only thing that should be improved is the motor mounts could be better-and the bracket where the exhaust splits is kinda weak-i have had to have repairs done-after the bracket fell OUT of the car while i was driving. The only person that is super comfortable in the car is probably the driver-only design complaint for interior, but since I have been the driver it is fine by me! I love this car-think sheis a transformer when i am not looking-haha."

sweet ride

Absolutely a great piece of engineering

By on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, very quick"

Cons: "Difficult maintenance and limited reach under car"

"One of the best cars I have owned. my father just got a CTS and i much rather drive my camaro its got the heart of sports car with the soul of american muscle deep inside!"

great car very fun for a V6 good mpg

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "sport car feel with small car mpgs verry fun car"

Cons: "trunk space and rear leg room"

"very nice car very fun in the summer time good for road trips or going out on the town. nice car for a 2 people not so much room in the rear seats or trunk but other than that great car. strong V6 still smokes the tires and sipps gas. the T tops are very nice in the summer never had a problem with them leaking the windows tend to sag after a while causing wind noise and water leaks fix for a couple hundred and windows roll up slow. verry little trunk space with T tops off has a nice feel at higher speeds brakes smooth at higher speeds. the front bumper is low and tends to scrape on steep driveways. inside lighting could be better at night hard to see in the car. over all very happy with my camaro!"

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pros: "Very fun to drive - a real head turner."

Cons: "It can be hard for others to get in and out of."

Me and my baby "Lola"

"I have owned this car for over 5 years. She is amazing. I have had very little trouble with her. I take very good care of her and replace everything as it needs it with time. I will be sad when it is time to switch up to a luxury car."

Me and my baby "Lola"

Fun Summer Ride! Enjoy it everyday I drive it.

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "Fun to Drive! Lots of power. Good Looking Car."

Cons: "Opti-spark"

"I have owned several Camaros, 70, 87, 95"

I love and never want to part with it!!!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"The best most reliable car ever. Except in the snow"

All Around Good Car

By on Thursday, May 5, 2011

"This car is decent on gas mileage, has great power and is easy to work on when it comes to general maintenance. In my opinion this model camaro with either the 3.4L engine or the 3.8L engine, is just an all around good car..."

Fair

By on Saturday, February 26, 2011

"I've had this '99 Z28 (with the LS1 engine) for the past 6 years, and have 126,000 miles on it. It's a beautiful car and I get lots of compliments on it, but it's basically a plastic car around a great engine. I've blown the Monsoon speakers twice, and I'm not a kid. I've replaced the drivers side window motor once and it needs to be replaced again. The passenger side window motor also needs to be replaced. I know that this is a fairly common problem with the camaro, but it is frustrating. The T-tops leak. On a more serious side, I now have an oil leak, and the rear end is weak and "clunks". Plastic parts inside the car are breaking off, but of course, living in hot southwest Florida does not help. I also drive in heavy traffic daily and I feel like this car is choking to death. It is slowly falling apart and I can't decide whether to get rid of it, or keep it and start pouring money into it. Also, at my age (48) it's getting harder to get in and out of it, but there's NOTHING like getting your rear end planted in the seat when you "get into it" with the LS1 engine. This car will move. I have the performance handling package and it corners like it's on rails. It's great for getting ahead of the traffic where it belongs."

By on Saturday, February 5, 2011

Good sporty car.

By on Sunday, January 23, 2011

"This has been a good car. My wife paid $5000 for it a few years ago. It now has almost 170,000 miles and it doesn't smoke, leak, or knock. It always starts right up and runs great, and we don't have to be afraid to go anywhere in it. It runs a little rough sometimes. I've been told it needs a new distributor, but haven't replaced it yet. The only other problem is with the body control module. It goes out and the radio and power windows die. I jiggle the wires going to it and slap the computer box a couple of times and it starts working again for several months. Gas mileage is decent with the v6, just don't be embarrassed when some econobox passes you. Body is plastic, so when she hit a deer, the bumper cracked."

2000 z/28 & 2000 SS

By on Saturday, January 22, 2011

"I got my 4th gen right out if high school (94 z/28 with the LT-1) and loved it. 3 yrs later once I had a good pay job I got my 2nd z28 with the LS-1 and fell in love once again. Plenty of power and handling great as well. I still own the 2000 z/28 and it is now my drag strip car and if things go as planned I will be getting my 3rd Camaro very soon. Only this one will be a SS"

By on Wednesday, January 5, 2011