1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 952 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

get LS1 camaro and you are not going to forget it

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "awesome $ per HP, Fun to drive, great MPG"

Cons: "electrical issues"

"the 4th gen F-body (camaro and Firebird) is one of the most underrated cars in the history of muscle cars... large windows and mirrors, 4 seats, hatchback trunk style, ABS, traction control and air bags, are just a few of the features of those cars, also on those cars you can get up to 25 mpg with the V8, the F-body is a really nice car, you have to keep in mind this is a car made almost 8 to 10 years ago and still can keep up with a SS camaro in straight line. the weak point of this car? they have some electrical-related issue but nothing to really be afraid about if you take care of it, other important aspect you have to keep in mind is those cars have rear axe suspention but at the end you have a truly sport car capable of smoke 80% of cars in the street and get a beautiful MPG. finally I have to say those cars are the best white canvas for any kind of mod or crazy project you have in mind my recomendations if you plan to get one get a good tires get her check by a good Chevy or Camaro chop create an acount in LS1tech.com or other camaro related forum so you can know everything you want to know about your car install a good cold air intake get a tune to get mot hp and better mpg and go and hit the road!!!!!! sorry for my bad english, but you can take trust my word I had mine for over 8 years and going to keep it for much more time"

Good for a while

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reason: Repairs

Pros: "Fast! Mostly reliable"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance, 100k miles major repairs"

"I had a 2001 Z28 model. It was quite reliable, and I owned it for 8 years. After going back to school, the fuel economy and repair costs were way too high for me to hold on to it. Here are the issues I had: Shock mounts in front rusted. Need replacement when replacing the front shocks. Expensive. Common problem. $200 for new mounts, and a pain to replace. Replacement master cylinder at 100k. Brakes didn't work very well anymore. Replace wheel bearings at 90k. I ran too long on bad bearings, and had to replace the rear axle. $1200. Body control module need replacement. Power windows and radio would sporadically cut off. $200 plus labor. Trunk leak. Common problem. Had a pool in my trunk every time it rained. Rear glass needs to be removed and reseated. $1-200. Squeaky AC belt. Not sure here... Replaced it, but still squeaked. Engine knock. No clue here either. Car started to lose power, and the engine sounds bad. Oil leak drip pan. Not sure on this, because it was the last straw. This was my brothers guess without looking more into the leak. Service engine light. Supposedly catalytic converter, which the car has two, and they're freaking expensive. Overall, I had this car for 8 years, but around 100k, these problems popped up left and right. I decided to trade it in when it needed a couple grand in repairs, along with new tires. It was reliable for the time I had it. No major engine problems up until 100k, and I had regular maintenance done, but it then became a money pit. If you're looking at one of these, know that it could require a couple grand to fix all the issues. It seemed to be falling apart."

Good for a while

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reason: Repairs

Pros: "Fast! Mostly reliable"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance, 100k miles major repairs"

Cool factor is high!

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Lots of fun great Delco audio system"

Cons: "No DVD one cd at a time dated"

"Makes me happy when my friends see it. Also is surprisingly reliable. Minimal issues, horsepower may be low due to the year it was produced. In 2016 when it's 20 yrs old the value should jump. Plus, everyone gets excited when you say, "I drive a camaro!""

good so far

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "very cheap, great running, fast for a v6"

Cons: "does not go good at all in snow."

"have had my car about a month now has 259000 in dash but redone the engine and transmission. has a little over 100k now great running and driving car."

Everything you ever wanted in a Camaro Z28

By on Monday, February 24, 2014

Pros: "Just a beautiful "arrest-me" red car"

Cons: "needs a headliner"

"This is a one owner car. All paper available. ISCA Show car. (all dash plaques mounted) Original paint with painted stripes under flames upto the windshield. Lots of bolt-ons for appearance and performance. Modified suspension and chassis give an aggressive stance and the feel of a much more expensive car. All work done by myself. Lots of chrome, stainless under hood. Stock drivetrain. Personalized interior boasts a rosewood interior. Well taken care of, garaged, rain only by accident, serious head turner, Royal Purple always. Illness forces sale. Five years until antique status. 2007 Camaro Calendar(Canadian version) "girl" (July 2007)."

Best Bang for Buck

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "great price, great fun, great looks, great mods"

Cons: "simplistic plastic interior"

"Burnouts all day long"

This is the perfect car

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "comfortable nice interior / exterior, good on gas"

Cons: "i prefer halo headlights"

"This car is comfortable nice interior / exterior, good on gas, it's very fast, and last but not least wont cost you an arm and a leg for insurance."

Great cars!

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Great all around car"

Cons: "Fuel pumps go out alot."

"My 1996 Camaro RS was just a project when I bought it. But I quickly fell in love. This car has so many upgrade options, you can make it completely amazing. I plan on doing many things with mine, and if the engine goes out before i'm finished, well i'll spend just $350 on a rebuild kit :)"

Love this car!

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive even on long trips"

Cons: "Back seat is really short on space."

"I rate it a ten on most everything. Back seat is not very comfortable if you have long legs. I love the body style. I like the way it moves when it is necessary to MOVE! It's paint is still great but I have had it garaged since it was new. You must be familiar with how to handle cars that are low in the front. Walk it through the water and dips in the road at an angle or you will surely bottom out. It handles terrific on mountain roads. I've owned 4 Camaro, 1 Corvette, and 3 Firebird. I happen to like the body styles... they are racy, sexy and sleek. The 2002 35th Anniversary model with the glass T-Tops is just plain sexy! This wouldn't be a good choice for people who have a hard time getting in and out of a low vehicle. If you are over 6 feet or large body shape, you won't like it."

Best bang for the buck at the time!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Best performance car at the price in 1998."

Cons: "Some may consider the ride a bit taught."

1998 Z28 Camaro

"I bought the '98 Z28 new to use as a commuter car, replacing my '86 Corvette. I just couldn't see wearing out another Vette commuting to work and back. While the Z28 didn't handle near as well as the Vette, it did have perhaps a bit more power. I have 64K miles on it now and have not had any problems, except for air conditioning loss of Freon and a leaky clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is a bid deal on a Camaro, as it is an integral part of the throwout bearing. That means that the transmission has to be removed to replace it! IMO, this was a big mistake on GM's part, just to save a couple of dollars in manufacturing. That said, the power of the LS1 engine is impressive and published dyno tests indicate that the horse power was underrated. Rear wheel HP is typically around 290. Considering that the car is light by today's standards, it is quick. The driveline is tighter than the '86 Vette and the body far more solid, with very few rattles. Handling is not anywhere as good as the Vette, but better than most cars. Gas millage is very good, considering that the engine is 5.7L, and I average around 24MPG commuting and 27MPG on trips. For a quick, go fast, good handling car, I don't think there was any competition at the time. The brakes are stellar! BTW, I searched hard to get my Z28 with a solid top, as I had my fill of flexing bodies and water leaks. All in all, a great car at the price. Unfortunately, now at 74 years of age, I am not so forgiving of the low entry and firm ride. I'm sure though that a younger person will enjoy it as much as I did."

1998 Z28 Camaro

I just couldn't ask for more. What a great car!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive, love the T-tops. Fast."

"I bought this car with mileage under 10k. It was only one year old. I am not the type to take it to the track and race. I took care of the car and it took care of me. All I did was maintain it and buy it tires and it always ran like a dream. And talk about power. My camaro always allowed me to pass cars with ease. And the abs braking system let me stop on a dime. I bought this car in 2002 when I was in my mid 20's and single. I still have the car but also I am a family man now so now I drive a sedan and my camaro is sitting in my backyard. It still runs and the ac still works. But it no longer fits in my life."

Awesome car, never regretted buying it new

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive, still looks cool!"

Cons: "They are getting older..."

"I bought this car new in late 2001 and still get a kick out of it every time I drive it. I have only had a couple of minor problems in all these years, not many cars you can buy new and drive for 12 years and say that about. Watch out for ones that somebody has driven the snot out of, these cars are fast and could attract an abusive driver. Driven reasonably, using the speed for traffic situations, the good braking and handling for accident avoidance, and it's one heck of a commute!"

Good, strong car for a decent price

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "Stong LS1 engine, great price, reliable car, fun"

Cons: "Heavy doors, window motor goes out"

"Some things I dislike about this car: Heavy doors - Don't slam the doors, the window motors go out pretty easy. T-tops might leak when washing the car. TERRIBLE in the snow"

fun,fast and reliable

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

"I love my car."

Very fast & reliable great car. fast fast fast

By on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Pros: "Performance, handeling"

Cons: "not very roomy"

"i have had 7 Camaros & this is my favorite. You cannot beat the perfomance of the LS1. it eats mustangs for breakfast kunch & dinner. LOVE this car."

My First car

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "Looks great and its fast"

Cons: "interior is not great"

"I got my 2000 Chevrolet Camaro this year for my first car; my windows were broken and my center console were broken. I love the way it handles and look and for a v6 it is really fast!"

Great car

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "great place to sit, fun to drive"

Cons: "wonky cup holder position, gets slipper in the wet"

"I bought my z28 used with 155xxx on the clock, never had a single issue with it. My only real gripe is the location of the center consel cup holder, which will leave you hitting whatever drink of choice you have there is your car is a standard. The fold out cup holder on the passenger side makes up for it though, if you dont mind the reach for it. I replaced its clutch and aside from plugs and wires (which I do to any car I buy used) I have not had to replace anything. The leather buckets are comfortable but do leave you sitting low on the ground, if you try to raise your seat up higher your thighs are rubbing the steering wheel. At least for me, I am over 6 ft tall. Love this car it is very reliable and easy to drive despite it being a car from a dying age of power performance and noise."

this is very outstanding

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "t-top and very fast and its real z28"

Cons: "dash is cracked window motors dont work"

"white with blue racing strips.has lt1 corvette engine which is 350 and has 350 turbo transmission with stage 3 shift kit.car is more than fast but needs little work.this car is amazing it has ram air hood but no radio and window motors dont work also only 2 head lights work .THE CAR RUNS VERY STRONG AND HAS DUAL MAGNA FLOW EXHAUST .THANK YOU."

Supper Fun to Drive! but not very convienient

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, convienient controlls, sounds great."

Cons: "Cramped space, road noise, gas guzzler"

"Its a great car for anyone who loves driving. With the top down the roar of the engine sounds epic especially in high revs. The car is comfortable only to the driver, the front passenger has to deal with the bump from the exhaust pipe and the rear passengers have to be children to fit in. The convertible version has very small cargo space only big enough to fit one regular sized suitcase. The controls are easy to reach and manipulate without having to take your eyes off the road. the aerodynamics make it impossible for bugs to hit the wind shield. Overall excellent car if you're by yourself but not so great as a passenger vehicle or shopping vehicle."

Fun, fast, reliable

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Good reliable car, great fun"

Cons: "Parts are exspensive"

Just showing off

"I've had this car for 11 years and it has been a blast to drive. Handles great, runs like a sewing machine, very fast, 25 mph and lots of compliments. Had to replace the water pump, two oxy. sensors, right rear axle (factory defect) and rack and pinion. Has 134,000 mi. on it and never has had a tune up, starts every time and is ready to go. At 6'2" it is hard to get in and out of for us mid aged folks though, but once in, it is roomy and comfortable"

Just showing off