1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 985 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

Best bang for the buck at the time!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Best performance car at the price in 1998."

Cons: "Some may consider the ride a bit taught."

1998 Z28 Camaro

"I bought the '98 Z28 new to use as a commuter car, replacing my '86 Corvette. I just couldn't see wearing out another Vette commuting to work and back. While the Z28 didn't handle near as well as the Vette, it did have perhaps a bit more power. I have 64K miles on it now and have not had any problems, except for air conditioning loss of Freon and a leaky clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is a bid deal on a Camaro, as it is an integral part of the throwout bearing. That means that the transmission has to be removed to replace it! IMO, this was a big mistake on GM's part, just to save a couple of dollars in manufacturing. That said, the power of the LS1 engine is impressive and published dyno tests indicate that the horse power was underrated. Rear wheel HP is typically around 290. Considering that the car is light by today's standards, it is quick. The driveline is tighter than the '86 Vette and the body far more solid, with very few rattles. Handling is not anywhere as good as the Vette, but better than most cars. Gas millage is very good, considering that the engine is 5.7L, and I average around 24MPG commuting and 27MPG on trips. For a quick, go fast, good handling car, I don't think there was any competition at the time. The brakes are stellar! BTW, I searched hard to get my Z28 with a solid top, as I had my fill of flexing bodies and water leaks. All in all, a great car at the price. Unfortunately, now at 74 years of age, I am not so forgiving of the low entry and firm ride. I'm sure though that a younger person will enjoy it as much as I did."

1998 Z28 Camaro

Teens dream

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Stick shift, T-Tops, Speed and acceleration"

Cons: "Gas milage"

"I have had this car for just over a year. I was nervous to get this as a first car because of the stick but now I love to drive the stick in this car. It doesn't get the best mpg around 18. In the last year i have had to replace the clutch pressure plate and fuel pump but these are the first major repairs that the car has had in its life time. If you get one with T-tops it is one of the funnest things to drive around in. The car has many aftermarket parts that you can get to enhance the performance and make it sound like a beast."

bad design flaw

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "good gas milage"

Cons: "optispark distributor location"

"I've owned my Camaro for 11 years and all I've done is put distributor after distributor into it every 2 years!! Its crazy!! But otherwise the motor is solid for its age and milage."

Outstanding wheels

By on Thursday, July 30, 2009

"I ordered this car special in 1994 (1995 model) in the convertible model and "Polo Green" color with tan leather seats..took 4 months to get. But I was not disappointed. I had 2 warranty problems in the early years, fixed without hassle. It is stock except I installed a custom "air foil" to replace the low one on the trunk lid...and had it painted to match the car. This Z28, with the LT1 engine, goes like the wind you feel at 120 mph. The faster it goes, the smoother the ride! No kidding! I know newer models have more horses, but this is more than enough for me! The Kelley Blue book says its worth $8855 at most! Ha! I would not sell this baby for less than I paid for it...about $30,000. Got it for the investment of a truely classic car, and will wait...and have fun doing just that! This car, at 14 years old, is like new and I love it. A big thank you to the Chevy engineers and the guys who put it together!!"

Almost as good as my '98 C-5

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Having previously owned a '98 C-5 with a six-speed I must say this car is darn close in raw numbers. It goes as well, turns & handles almost as well and stops amazingly well (thanks to aftermaket rotors & Hawk pads)! It's a "Poor-Mans" 'Vette I guess you could safely call it. Quite "THE" bang for the buck, I'd say!!! More fun to drive because it's not as eye-catching as the 'Vette was. This car does have a nice throaty sound thanks to the SLP components. Drive safely & have Fun, Fun, Fun ;>}"