1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 951 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Good for a while

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reason: Repairs

Pros: "Fast! Mostly reliable"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance, 100k miles major repairs"

"I had a 2001 Z28 model. It was quite reliable, and I owned it for 8 years. After going back to school, the fuel economy and repair costs were way too high for me to hold on to it. Here are the issues I had: Shock mounts in front rusted. Need replacement when replacing the front shocks. Expensive. Common problem. $200 for new mounts, and a pain to replace. Replacement master cylinder at 100k. Brakes didn't work very well anymore. Replace wheel bearings at 90k. I ran too long on bad bearings, and had to replace the rear axle. $1200. Body control module need replacement. Power windows and radio would sporadically cut off. $200 plus labor. Trunk leak. Common problem. Had a pool in my trunk every time it rained. Rear glass needs to be removed and reseated. $1-200. Squeaky AC belt. Not sure here... Replaced it, but still squeaked. Engine knock. No clue here either. Car started to lose power, and the engine sounds bad. Oil leak drip pan. Not sure on this, because it was the last straw. This was my brothers guess without looking more into the leak. Service engine light. Supposedly catalytic converter, which the car has two, and they're freaking expensive. Overall, I had this car for 8 years, but around 100k, these problems popped up left and right. I decided to trade it in when it needed a couple grand in repairs, along with new tires. It was reliable for the time I had it. No major engine problems up until 100k, and I had regular maintenance done, but it then became a money pit. If you're looking at one of these, know that it could require a couple grand to fix all the issues. It seemed to be falling apart."

Good for a while

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Reason: Repairs

Pros: "Fast! Mostly reliable"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance, 100k miles major repairs"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25