1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 983 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

good for the money

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"If you whant a car that is good on gas but has that little extra power when you need it. This is the one! It also has very good handiling. I have had mine since new that was 8 years and 120,000 miles ago. No problems so far and I push on her pretty bad. Also on a side note this car is compatable with most z28 parts. So if you see one for a good price do not let it go.I for one am very pleased."

Third Vehicle

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"My '95 Camaro Z-28 is the third car I have had (first was a'99 Dodge Dakota, second was a '88 Camaro RS). It has the six speed, oil coiler, t-tops, limited slip, most of the options you could get. The transmission shifts really nicely (mine has an after-market shift knob and shifter because the stock shifter is about ten feet tall). I also can get up to 25 MPG because of the tall gearing. Performance: The performance is nice to say the least. I can usually burn the tires through the first two gears and sometimes squeak them going into third and that's with wider after-market wheels. It handles like it is on rails (pulls a little above .9 g's). Stops quite quickly, the only complaint about the breaks is that they can fade rather quickly (still better than most of the cars out on the road though). Because the Camaro has the SBC in it if you wanted to do any performance modifications then the sky is the limit. From stroking it to supercharging it, even twin turbo-charging not to mention all the other doo-dads. Also, the gearing in the six speed (T-56) coupled with gearing in the rear end and tire size (drag not included) makes potential top speed of the Camaro 202 MPH, but it doesn't have nearly the power or down force to do it so don't go trying it anytime soon. However, it does have a good top speed with it topping out at about 160 MPH. 0-60 is in the higher 5's with quarters running in the higher 13's. The only complaint I have is that you can't run it through the gears before going over the speed limit. Often times it's first, second, sixth. Comfort: The interior is comfortable with everything nicely positioned, my single complaint about the interior is that it only has one cup holder. Also, if you're a fan of marshmallow cars with soft rides, this car may be somewhat uncomfortable. However, if you've been driving a third gen Camaro going to a fourth, it's a major improvement. And this slight discomfort pays off when going around a turn. It has plenty of leg room and head room (I'm 6' and have no problem fitting it it) and the seats are very comfortable. Leg room (or space at all) in the back is very limited but if you want you can throw your two friends in the back that you like the least and it's do-able. Reliability: So far I have had no problems with reliability. The only problems I have had with it are because of age and high mileage (150,000 and still going strong). The first was the through-out bearing going through the clutch but that was because the last person who owned it didn't install it right and used old parts, didn't resurface the flywheel, etc. The other problem I have had with it is some minor oil leakage. It's very minimal but from what I've read these fourth gen Camaros can have some problems leaking some oil when they get into higher miles. Another problem to consider has to do with the windows. Because they don't have a frame around them they can get off track more easily than other framed windows can. In the end it's a Chevy small block; the design has been around since 1917 and is still being used today so they must of done something right. That mated to a stout transmission (T-56, used in the Viper, Mustang and Corvette too) and a sturdy rear end will probably outlive you. Styling: I love the styling on it personally, but that's really up to an individual to decide upon. Quality: It's a Chevrolet. Don't expect it to be a Maybach. Nevertheless, it does have a good fit and finish and I'm not all that picky. Value: I don't think that these will decrease in value as long as you take care of them but I also don't foresee them becoming big classics all of the sudden. If you want one that will hold a higher value try going for some of the last ones ('00-'02). They usually have a higher price tag. They are really good bang for the buck and I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. In conclusion the Camaro is a great car, I've really enjoyed mine (my second now) and would recommend it to just about anybody. It has performance, comfort, reliability, style and overall it's just fun to drive."

Best bang for the buck at the time!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Best performance car at the price in 1998."

Cons: "Some may consider the ride a bit taught."

1998 Z28 Camaro

"I bought the '98 Z28 new to use as a commuter car, replacing my '86 Corvette. I just couldn't see wearing out another Vette commuting to work and back. While the Z28 didn't handle near as well as the Vette, it did have perhaps a bit more power. I have 64K miles on it now and have not had any problems, except for air conditioning loss of Freon and a leaky clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is a bid deal on a Camaro, as it is an integral part of the throwout bearing. That means that the transmission has to be removed to replace it! IMO, this was a big mistake on GM's part, just to save a couple of dollars in manufacturing. That said, the power of the LS1 engine is impressive and published dyno tests indicate that the horse power was underrated. Rear wheel HP is typically around 290. Considering that the car is light by today's standards, it is quick. The driveline is tighter than the '86 Vette and the body far more solid, with very few rattles. Handling is not anywhere as good as the Vette, but better than most cars. Gas millage is very good, considering that the engine is 5.7L, and I average around 24MPG commuting and 27MPG on trips. For a quick, go fast, good handling car, I don't think there was any competition at the time. The brakes are stellar! BTW, I searched hard to get my Z28 with a solid top, as I had my fill of flexing bodies and water leaks. All in all, a great car at the price. Unfortunately, now at 74 years of age, I am not so forgiving of the low entry and firm ride. I'm sure though that a younger person will enjoy it as much as I did."

1998 Z28 Camaro

Teens dream

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Stick shift, T-Tops, Speed and acceleration"

Cons: "Gas milage"

"I have had this car for just over a year. I was nervous to get this as a first car because of the stick but now I love to drive the stick in this car. It doesn't get the best mpg around 18. In the last year i have had to replace the clutch pressure plate and fuel pump but these are the first major repairs that the car has had in its life time. If you get one with T-tops it is one of the funnest things to drive around in. The car has many aftermarket parts that you can get to enhance the performance and make it sound like a beast."

Best Car I ever bought for $500

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and parts are cheep and plentifull"

Cons: "The window motors like to go out"

"I've only had the water pump and the fuel pump go out and after i change them out most reliable car I've ever had it out lasted two Chrysler a Ford and a Pontiac and its still tucking if you need cheep reliable transportation that has some style get on of these"

Great Car. Mimimal Work needed.

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, Fun to drive. Reliable. Comfty."

Cons: "Passenger Side Window motor"

"I bought my 97 on a used car lot in Cleveland. At first I hated it. I needed to put quite a bit of work into it. However I only paid 3400 for the car. So the dealer probably paid 1100 for it. I put $1300 overall into the car the 5 years I had it. None of the repairs were anything serious. The repairs consisted of tires, tune up, battery, thermostat, brake line, oil changes, fuel filter, serpentine belt and I never got around to it, but it needed a passenger side window motor. THAT IS THE ONLY COMPLAINT you will see on this car, for some reason GM put a weak motor in the passenger side. But in the long run. 4600 bucks for a car that lasts me 5 years running. I am satisfied."

bad design flaw

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "good gas milage"

Cons: "optispark distributor location"

"I've owned my Camaro for 11 years and all I've done is put distributor after distributor into it every 2 years!! Its crazy!! But otherwise the motor is solid for its age and milage."

This thing is a handful

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Super fun, great handling, Great sound system"

Cons: "Disrespect it and it will kill you quick, Bad MPG"

"Truthfully, I would NOT get this car if you want a daily driver, Its peppy with great handling, the v8s are corvette fast, heck even mine is down into the 6 second 0-60. But there are a lot of trade offs, its hard to get into if you are tall like me, There isn't a lot of room once you are in there, the MPG are atrocious (13 consistent for me with constant heavy driving) the car does not like you, if you ignore it even for a few seconds it will run off the road and kill you, PAY ATTENTION WHILE YOU DRIVE. It is a great car and i have driven mine for 2 years everyday, be careful in rain and avoid snow. I love mine and dont let me scare you away from one, just be prepared to own a baby supercar."

My video

My 0 to 100 run, not 100 percent throttle till 2nd gear

Good 2nd car

By on Wednesday, September 09, 2009

"My current Camaro is a '99 Z28 purchased from a repossession auction. Even with 93k miles on it, the car still runs out strong. The LS1 motor has always been solid, holding up well to whatever a normal driver can throw at it. Every time I punch the throttle, I get a little adrenaline rush. If you're easily seduced by the sound of a pushrod V8, this car will get you to do things that your insurance company would cringe over. Now for the problems. Since I've had two of these, I'll just list the commonalities here: The interior is a bad joke. The front-left turn signal keeps burning out for no reason. I wouldn't force anyone (that I like) to sit in the back seat for longer than about 15 minutes. If you drive it in the snow, you will be very sorry. Parking this long, low car can be a frustrating task. It's probably not the best choice if a silky smooth ride is a primary concern. Over rough roads, this car will rattle the fillings out of your teeth. While driving the Camaro, you aren't likely to forget that it's a sports car (ever!). Overall, however, these vehicles are excellent values for their drivetrains alone. The engines respond well to bolt-on components, and will provide years of faithful service even under harsh conditions. If you're looking for a used car with monstrous base power and a tremendous upside, there aren't many better choices at this price point."

Outstanding wheels

By on Thursday, July 30, 2009

"I ordered this car special in 1994 (1995 model) in the convertible model and "Polo Green" color with tan leather seats..took 4 months to get. But I was not disappointed. I had 2 warranty problems in the early years, fixed without hassle. It is stock except I installed a custom "air foil" to replace the low one on the trunk lid...and had it painted to match the car. This Z28, with the LT1 engine, goes like the wind you feel at 120 mph. The faster it goes, the smoother the ride! No kidding! I know newer models have more horses, but this is more than enough for me! The Kelley Blue book says its worth $8855 at most! Ha! I would not sell this baby for less than I paid for it...about $30,000. Got it for the investment of a truely classic car, and will wait...and have fun doing just that! This car, at 14 years old, is like new and I love it. A big thank you to the Chevy engineers and the guys who put it together!!"

Almost as good as my '98 C-5

By on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Having previously owned a '98 C-5 with a six-speed I must say this car is darn close in raw numbers. It goes as well, turns & handles almost as well and stops amazingly well (thanks to aftermaket rotors & Hawk pads)! It's a "Poor-Mans" 'Vette I guess you could safely call it. Quite "THE" bang for the buck, I'd say!!! More fun to drive because it's not as eye-catching as the 'Vette was. This car does have a nice throaty sound thanks to the SLP components. Drive safely & have Fun, Fun, Fun ;>}"

A good car

By on Friday, March 06, 2009

"Idealy suited to longer drives on major roads, it has ample power with around 300bhp and drop dead looks. Handling is good, though on bendy European roads a little caution in tight turning should be advised. Ive had Double Diamond Subframe connectors added to stiffen the frame that makes cornering easier. The assisted braking can sometimes make stopping feel a little spongy, but they do a good job of shedding all that speed in a controlled manner. The dash is well presented with everything in a convenient place, and it is something else to sit in the drivers seat and see that dash stretch out to meet the windscreen, then flow out over the acres of hood. The greatest asset of this car has to be the engine. Just crusing along at 40 gives you a warm feeling in your guts hearing the engine barely tick over at 1500rpm, but when you press down that throttle, feel the front rise up in the air and press those rear wheels into the tarmac, its almost like riding an animal that rears up to to show its fangs. The rev counter surges up, and so does the speed. 0-60 in a tad over 5 seconds is possible, and ive had mine to a top speed of 149 before i had to slow down (was on a private road and it just wasn't that long) though i hadn't redlined it and was still accelerating. Fuel consuption for the V8 OH16v engine is also quite reasonable... the official figures state MPG (city) 17 MPG (highway) 26 MPG (combined) 20 Persoanlly these are a load of rubbish... these are mine averaged for the last four months (in winter but with careful driving and a light right foot) MPG (city) 22 MPG (highway) 30 (have gotten this up to 36 in past)"

Not too shabby

By on Saturday, February 02, 2008

"I bought the car when it was a year old and had ~14500 miles. I have driven it for the last five years. Other than a few maintenance-type repairs (belt, tires, brakes), I have not had any mechanical problems. However, the top leaks. Pretty badly. The car looks and runs well, but it's really noisy and the ride is a little bumpy. It also does NOT do well in bad weather, particularly snow/ice. The SGS option helps in the rain. The trunk space is almost nonexistent (on the convertible). You can't fit a suitcase in the trunk. The passenger seat doesn't have as much legroom as the driver's seat. It is possible for 4 adults to fit in the car, but it's difficult. Operation of the convertible top is easy and foolproof. The steering wheel controls for the radio/cd are awesome. The factory speakers, though, leave much to be desired - they don't have enough power to keep the volume audible with the top down, and when you crank it, it distorts and blows them. The windows in the convertible rattle a little, and don't roll up or down very fast, even with brand new motors. Seatbelt retractors are useless. With the top up, you have blind spots the size of Texas. Angled parking is particularly bad. It would have helped if they had done split windows like other convertibles. All that said, it's a comfortable car to drive, even for long distances. The seat has good lumbar and leg support, and the gauges and controls are easy to operate. I have not had any problems with the heat or AC, and I live in the South, where it's hot from April to October."

This is the perfect car

By on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Pros: "comfortable nice interior / exterior, good on gas"

Cons: "i prefer halo headlights"

"This car is comfortable nice interior / exterior, good on gas, it's very fast, and last but not least wont cost you an arm and a leg for insurance."

Great car for the cost!!!

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

"I picked this car up in June of 2012. I paid $8100 at a used car dealership in Roseville,CA. It had 110,XXX miles on it. It was in a minor accident years before I purchased and paint, and drive-ability were perfect. July 2012 I drove it from Reno,NV to Houston, TX. I averaged 28-33mpgs on the highway based on acceleration and cruising speed. I then commuted 80+ miles a day for work 6 days a week. Which is great for a 5.7 V8 with a 4 speed automatic. I have also taken several trips to Fresno area, about 340 miles from Reno. I have averaged over 34mpgs hwy on the way there. The performance of the LS1 motor is great about 270hp at the wheels and 290 ft lbs tq at the wheels. I also have a K&N air filter, custom tune, and muffler delete. All legal modifications. The T-tops don't leak at all which is rare. Monsoon stereo blew out but it was like that at time of purchase. No leaks either. Not bad for a 15 year old car. All around great car. Needs more power for my needs but that's a different story. HAHA"

Raw power, very reliable

By on Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pros: "Power, Performance, Reliablity, Price, Style"

Cons: "Water intrusion,"

"Got my Z/28 with 64k miles has 186k, still runs very strong and very reliable. Easy and affordable to add more power. Not a car for a first time sports car owner, unless you do research on the power of these cars. You will need good rear tires as with any sports car. The rubber transmission mount will need replacment with a polyurethane or you will replace them a lot. They made the motor very hefty and the transmission is reliable just don't punish it too much, i did and do. I replaced my transmission at 75k miles, remanufactored chevy transmission still going strong after 100k on transmission. I have never failed a smog inspection and im second owner so i know this car in its life has yet to fail a smog test.With the t-top you will see water get into the interior when it rains not a big deal as not much water goes in. Affordable Muscle car, lots of fun."

Fun to Drive

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pros: "Performance and Handling"

Cons: "Gas milage and Brakes"

"This car has been wonderful i have owned the car for a couple years with no big problems besides being a daily driver and need to keep up on the maintenance. Pros - Great performance easy to maintain and very reliable. Cons - Gas mileage and if you plan on driving this car a lot be ready to get good brakes and keep up on tires."

with 192000 miles this car still shreds everywhere

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "fast, fun, loud"

Cons: "to many people want to race!"

"for the mileage and year of this car i could never ever complain one little bit about it. its so much fun and stylish i love it to death. wouldnt ever think twice about buying another"

Reliable, Cheap and Fast

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Great performance, reliable, good highway mileage"

Cons: "Chevrolet - It's cheap, creaks, rattles, etc"

"Owned this car 6 years and have loved every moment. I've added a few things along the way and drive it year round. With good all seasons I handle every snow storm with ease and my 50mile daily commute is enjoyable. The car runs high 12s at the local 1/4 mile track and pulls 25mpg average during my weekly commute. 150,000 miles later and I have a very short list of things that have been replaced (tires, brakes, clutch, starter and fuel pump). Aside from brakes and tires all of the other repairs have occurred in the 120,000 mile timeframe. Been an absolutely great car and the LS1 is still proving itself to be a solid engine."

Sweet sports car!

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Fun car with plenty of power"

Cons: "...none"

"This is a good looking sports car, fast and a blast to drive with the v8 engine and six speed manual transmission. Take the ttops off and even more thrilling ride."

I LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Pros: "mpg, fun to drive, great handling, easy to care for"

"I'm a 6'1 guy that usually has a hard time fiting into a low profile car like camaro convirtibles, but this car fits great. My 5'4" wife loves driving it too. Our gas milage is better than expected, and the V6 power blew us away. I'm used to V8, but the MPG was horrible, so now we have the cool style, and the 25 MPG. Have 110,000, no issues at all."

Absolutely LOVE it!!!

By on Thursday, August 04, 2011

Pros: "Always get compliments on it!!!"

"Nothing bad to say about it! Always wintered in heated garage, just use her in summer months. The best car I've ever owned. Handles beautifully!!! Absolutely love it!"

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, October 08, 2009

"I have owned this 1995 Camaro for 5 years. I bought it for 1000 dollars with over 150,000 miles on it. The 3.4L V6 is still running strong to this day with over 240,000 miles on the stock motor. Doesn't leak any fluids or hesitate in any way. Comfort is no fun at all on long trips but gets very respectful gas mileage on the highway. If you are looking for a car to last a while on a budget, I would recomend this car to you. But if you like something comfortable after a few hours on a road trip, then don't get this car."

awesome camaro

By on Sunday, June 28, 2009

"This is not my first camaro though it is my first v6. I still own my car after ten years and shes still running strong. Plenty of muscle for just a v6 with something like 277hp. only flaw i can think of is there is a lot of weight from door so puts alot of stress on door handle that has a minor crack in it but barely noticable. I love my car regret having to sell it but i now have a wife and three kids and we cant all fit at once due to bucket seating."

Great Car for Summer

By on Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Mine is 2002 V6 35TH anniversary edition w/ t-tops. So far just under 160,000 miles on it. It seems as the car has aged, the sensors tend to go out... this has happened twice. It was still under warranty when this happened. Last year, when it was 6 years old, the power steering and some other stuff had to be fixed among typical routine maintenance such as brakes, etc. The power steering plus other miscellaneous things (I think one of the things was also the rear differential?) on that one repair bill was like $2,000. It ran beautifully for about 12 months until just this week, actually... when it stalled at an intersection. This time it was the fuel pump. To have the fuel pump and the filter replaced, $1075. Mostly labor costs, as it's pretty time consuming and difficult to get to, they say. Overall, I have a sentimental attachment to this car. I love it. I think I've taken good care of it, and it's just getting to the age/mileage where stuff is tearing up on it. But now that it's been paid off, the repairs are definitely cheaper than replacing Camaro with another car and having a payment. It's a beautiful car, fun to drive. The t-tops also leaked at one point. I had the weather stripping replaced. It helps to Armor-All the weather stripping in my opinion. The trunk is weird... you have to sometimes pop the remote twice to get it to open, or it will sometimes not shut properly. I've heard other Camaro owners mention this before, so I don't think it's just my car in particular. The car sits low and is prone to scrape or 'bottom out' on certain surfaces... and you don't want to drive it in the snow. It's not terribly comfortable for passengers, especially the back seats. I love this car and have a lot of great memories with it. Fun for road trips... remove the t-tops, turn up the radio (also makes that workday commute MUCH more enjoyable)."