1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 985 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

muscle car

By on Thursday, April 17, 2008

"this car has good performance at a reasonable price. RWD V6 with average quality. If you do proper mainteinance this car will last a long time. I just wish there was more technology and refinement. DOHC and Variable Valve timing, or 5 speed automatic or independent suspension. It would help fuel economy, ride comfort and handling."

My Camaro is a champ!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"I bought my 96 Camaro when I was 18, and needless to say, didn't care for it as well as I might have. After about 2 years, LOTS of none-too-gentle road time, and minimal maintenance, it was still running strong. Another 4 years later, my Camaro IS receiving it's deserved care, and it has continued to surpass my expectations. It is to this day (at 167,000 miles) a fun and reliable daily driver."

ALOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY!

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"The 3800 in the base coupe has quite surprising off-the-line power, obviously not a V8. But you can definitly spin the tire anywhere between 0-10mph. Very good handling for a large and relatively heavy car. The best part by far about this car is the styling, it is aggressive, and my stock white camaro gets alot of looks and positive comments. WHEN YOU TELL THEM THAT IT ONLY COST 6K, THEY WILL SAY WHAT, AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE!"

I love my car !!!

By on Thursday, March 13, 2008

"I love my 1998 Camaro ! It is a good car and I have had only minor problems with it. I have replaced the water pump, tail light, and a belt. It gets about 21 mpg and it is so fun to drive ! I feel super safe in this car !!! Very dependable ..."

MyRS

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"A wonderful fun car to drive,no problems until after the first 100,000mi then I had a valve cover start leaking and the driver side elect window motor went out."

Nice car

By on Sunday, January 13, 2008

"I've had this car for 14 years since ordered new (94 Z28/6spd) Only put 35,000 miles on it so far. I've had a few issues. Igition, starter, pw motor and some small things. Overall a pretty decent car, great value and fun to drive."

Very fun car

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"This car is an extremely fun car to drive. It is fast, handles well, and looks great. This car however is not for poor weather and depending how you drive the gas mileage can either be great for a car with this power or it will drink gas if you have a heavy foot. This car has some reliability issues and repair costs can be a bit pricey. If you want a good weekend fun car to drive around this car is perfect.This type of car also has a rich heritage exending back to its inception back to the muscle car era of the 1960's and 70's. overall a very fun, fast, and performance driven car."

Amazing Car

By on Saturday, December 08, 2007

"These cars handle amazingly well and are more than powerful, I have enjoyed many cars in my life thus far and The Camaro SS is still one of my favorites. The exterior styling is incredible and the car has a very agressive look. The interior is very well planned out and everything is within easy reach, very ergonomic. I have enjoyed this car much more than the Mustang I owned before it. The mustance was way too cramped for me, I am just over 6 ft tall. The camaro has plenty of room and was much more comfortable. The Camaro was slightly louder and noiser than the Mustange but provided a much more appriciated driving experience every time I drove it."

Excellent Performance Car

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I absolutely love this car. I've owned it for 4 years now and couldn't be happier. The car hasn't had any TSB's or recalls, and mine is 9 years old now and 100,000mi with absolutely no problems. I've never had anything go out on me. and only have had to replace tires and brakes as usual. with the horsepower you expect horrible gas mileage but I get about 22mph in the city and 30+ on the highway. I love the performance and handling this car gives right out of the box. Not to mention driving around with the t-tops off or even with them on you can still see out through the t-tops with the shades off. It is very quiet also and comfortable making a great cruising car. I have driven from NJ to IL and back numerous times (16 hours each way) and have no complaints about the commute. The backseats although small are also comfortable for shorter drives, under an hour. and with the backseat folded down I'm really surprised at how much this 2 door can hold. Expect to receive a lot of compliments on this car when you pull into a gas station or wal-mart!!"

Very Fun Vehicle/Head turner

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I bought this car as a third owner in 2005 with 92k on it. Fortunately, it was spared of the many tacky aftermarket parts and accessories available for these cars. It is awesome with the top down and you feel the 285 horses when you need them. The only parts replaced have been typical GM things....most mechanics will know what I mean. The only complaint is a coolant temp sensor, head clearance (with top up), and stiff seats on long rides."

Best Value for Family Performance

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"The 94 Camaro is a great car that has provided 7 years of reliable fun for me and my family. Fun and easy to modify. The Optispark distributor is a major problem area on the LT1 motor but the car is really reliable after fixing the issure with a dynaspark distributor. Corvette performance at a Killer price, and I can haul the kids to car shows or racing events, You can't go wrong."

Excellent

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Excellent vehicle. Only trouble that I have had with this vehicle is the convertible top. Back window has seperated from the top 3 times. Other than that mechanically has been superb. Now have 150,000 miles and still going strong."

What a Value

By on Friday, November 23, 2007

"Recently bought my 2002 Z-28 with only 53,000 one owner miles. This is not my daily driver though it's starting to fill that role. Previous owner kept vehicle in immaculate shape. The only thing I struggle with is getting in and out of the car because I am a wide-bodied guy. Once in it's as comfortable as anything else out there and the performance this car delivers is absolutely amazing. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and replaced the stock air filter with a K&N. The sound from the LS1 is incredible as is the power. And with all this power it still gets 23 mpg on the highway. What's there not to like about this vehicle? Nothing I can think of. I'm told the new Camaro that Chevy is working on will look like the early ones from the 60s. Fine with me. The classic styling of my 2002 is something I will never tire of. From any angle this is a beautiful car. Mine is white with the black targa top and t-tops; black leather interior. I have an E-class Mercedes and my wife has a Volvo SUV, yet this Camaro is my favorite of the bunch. You have to look hard to find a good one, but you will be rewarded for your efforts if you get one. Fun, fun, fun."

Funnest car I've ever owned!

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Bought my 1995 3.4L new. Now with 228,000 miles. The most reliable, funnest, coolest car I have ever owned!"

Reliable-fast-cool

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"This is the second Camaro I have bought new- the last one was a 98 base model-this being a Z28 with the V-8. Neither car has had ANY problems! I drive in a performance style and the Camaro is perfect for spirited driving. I have the 6 speed-it gets over 30 mpg in straight hiway driving! Of course your city mileage is worse-but still gets around 16-17 in strictly stop and go stuff for me. To be fair-this car isn't for everyone-you have to like to sit low to the ground and be flexible enough to get in and out-not for the grandma-grandpa types! But then again I am nearing 50 myself-just seem to be in better shape than some.... Anyway that's the common complaint I hear about the car is the way it is low to the ground seating-it doesnt bother me in the least. I like that-you drive one and decide for yourself. I love the acceleration the all alloy V-8 gives, and the 6 speed is a thrill too-the double overdrive gives amazing top speed and great gas mileage at 70-80 mph. All that and no problems to speak of in 6 years of ownership is a pretty amazing testamonial-GO GET ONE!"

awsome ride

By on Monday, October 08, 2007

"great gas milage no break downs ever,faster than the mustang.drives like its on rails.the hugger orange paint realy turns heads.just a awsome ride."

superfast z

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"Add on a superchips microtuner, borla cat-back, and K&N FIPK and you have a rocket!"

Best I've Ever Owned

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"I bought this car when it had 119000 miles on it and it still ran ridiculously strong. It now has 125000 miles on it and has not changed a bit. It was an amazing experience driving with the T-tops off in the summer. It had two silver racing stripes down the center as well, which got it lots of attention. Many mustangs lined up side by side with me and I am proud to say that all ended up behind me. Whether it be a new GT or an old GT...I smoked them all.The leather interior was very comfortable in my Z28. In the end I beat myself though. just the other day I was driving a girl home and i spun it out into a tree at 90 plus...totaled it. I plan to somehow buy another one in the future. I want no other car as much as a Z28. I don't think I will ever want to own another type of vehicle. The power will never leave you unsatisfied. I loved my Z28."

Amazing Car still at 190k mi

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I've owned a 2000 Camaro SS since 2003 when I bought it at 40k miles. It has needed very little repair work, especially considering that I drive it like a race car. It only got 4 stars on reliability because of premature drivetrain failures, due to the powerful engine being used vigorously. The engine has been incredibly reliable itself. I would recommend this car to anyone that wants a high performance vehicle that is fun to drive, is still capable of over 30 mpg hywy (6 spd manual), and is nearly as reliable as a Honda. This car averages about 13.5 1/4 mile times w/6spd, and 13.9 w/auto. I could not have bought a better car for the price, period."

Best Bang for Buck

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "great price, great fun, great looks, great mods"

Cons: "simplistic plastic interior"

"Burnouts all day long"

Awesome car, never regretted buying it new

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive, still looks cool!"

Cons: "They are getting older..."

"I bought this car new in late 2001 and still get a kick out of it every time I drive it. I have only had a couple of minor problems in all these years, not many cars you can buy new and drive for 12 years and say that about. Watch out for ones that somebody has driven the snot out of, these cars are fast and could attract an abusive driver. Driven reasonably, using the speed for traffic situations, the good braking and handling for accident avoidance, and it's one heck of a commute!"

Decent fuel economy, underpowered, fun car

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "reliable(manual trans),great handling,decent fuel"

Cons: "under powered,limited pasenger room"

"The 3.8L engine should have gotten the same upgrades as the buick version for a better output to fuel consumption ratio but overall it performs well when needed. Basic maintenance is relatively simple with the oil,fuel,air filters, spark plugs,belt,headlamps and brakes being easily accessible (serviceable). Should have come with factory tint on back and side windows. Great drivability, smooth ride for a sports car. Space is limited for larger body types and pasenger room (comfort) is very limited,but has a cup holder for all 4, I've seen worse. Tie downs in cargo area, trunk will fit a full size spare, fold down rear seat are some plus features. The brakes could be bigger but hold up to daily driving and stretching the fuel capacity would have been nice. Some a/c vents for the rear would help cool the cabin faster. Slightly higher gear ratio on the manual trany version would alow better cruising rpm and alow more use of the engine torque instead of having to rev it out. Also they should have kept the aluminum drive shaft from the prev years. T-tops are a fun option but not improved since the 1970's. This is overall a great,fun car for the money and will do all of the spedometer."

Great car

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

"love the car . I had it from new 1998 one owner but must downsize for a move south. I had planned to keep it forever but times changed.Very powerfull and fun to drive."

SO great that I bought it back...

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Cheap power and easily modified for more!!!"

Cons: "Interior plastics should have been designed better"

"Power and looks are great. I sold my Camaro 2 yrs ago and bought it back after the previous owner only put 3500 miles on the car. Compared to the price of a new Camaro, these 98-02 SS & Z28s are the best bang for your buck!"

A fun car to drive/own

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful, fast, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not for everyone."

"A fun car to drive/own. A garage car but has really never had any repair expenses to it."