1996 Chevrolet Camaro

Based on 981 Ratings for the 1993 - 2002 models.

good for the money

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"If you whant a car that is good on gas but has that little extra power when you need it. This is the one! It also has very good handiling. I have had mine since new that was 8 years and 120,000 miles ago. No problems so far and I push on her pretty bad. Also on a side note this car is compatable with most z28 parts. So if you see one for a good price do not let it go.I for one am very pleased."

Third Vehicle

By on Saturday, November 10, 2007

"My '95 Camaro Z-28 is the third car I have had (first was a'99 Dodge Dakota, second was a '88 Camaro RS). It has the six speed, oil coiler, t-tops, limited slip, most of the options you could get. The transmission shifts really nicely (mine has an after-market shift knob and shifter because the stock shifter is about ten feet tall). I also can get up to 25 MPG because of the tall gearing. Performance: The performance is nice to say the least. I can usually burn the tires through the first two gears and sometimes squeak them going into third and that's with wider after-market wheels. It handles like it is on rails (pulls a little above .9 g's). Stops quite quickly, the only complaint about the breaks is that they can fade rather quickly (still better than most of the cars out on the road though). Because the Camaro has the SBC in it if you wanted to do any performance modifications then the sky is the limit. From stroking it to supercharging it, even twin turbo-charging not to mention all the other doo-dads. Also, the gearing in the six speed (T-56) coupled with gearing in the rear end and tire size (drag not included) makes potential top speed of the Camaro 202 MPH, but it doesn't have nearly the power or down force to do it so don't go trying it anytime soon. However, it does have a good top speed with it topping out at about 160 MPH. 0-60 is in the higher 5's with quarters running in the higher 13's. The only complaint I have is that you can't run it through the gears before going over the speed limit. Often times it's first, second, sixth. Comfort: The interior is comfortable with everything nicely positioned, my single complaint about the interior is that it only has one cup holder. Also, if you're a fan of marshmallow cars with soft rides, this car may be somewhat uncomfortable. However, if you've been driving a third gen Camaro going to a fourth, it's a major improvement. And this slight discomfort pays off when going around a turn. It has plenty of leg room and head room (I'm 6' and have no problem fitting it it) and the seats are very comfortable. Leg room (or space at all) in the back is very limited but if you want you can throw your two friends in the back that you like the least and it's do-able. Reliability: So far I have had no problems with reliability. The only problems I have had with it are because of age and high mileage (150,000 and still going strong). The first was the through-out bearing going through the clutch but that was because the last person who owned it didn't install it right and used old parts, didn't resurface the flywheel, etc. The other problem I have had with it is some minor oil leakage. It's very minimal but from what I've read these fourth gen Camaros can have some problems leaking some oil when they get into higher miles. Another problem to consider has to do with the windows. Because they don't have a frame around them they can get off track more easily than other framed windows can. In the end it's a Chevy small block; the design has been around since 1917 and is still being used today so they must of done something right. That mated to a stout transmission (T-56, used in the Viper, Mustang and Corvette too) and a sturdy rear end will probably outlive you. Styling: I love the styling on it personally, but that's really up to an individual to decide upon. Quality: It's a Chevrolet. Don't expect it to be a Maybach. Nevertheless, it does have a good fit and finish and I'm not all that picky. Value: I don't think that these will decrease in value as long as you take care of them but I also don't foresee them becoming big classics all of the sudden. If you want one that will hold a higher value try going for some of the last ones ('00-'02). They usually have a higher price tag. They are really good bang for the buck and I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. In conclusion the Camaro is a great car, I've really enjoyed mine (my second now) and would recommend it to just about anybody. It has performance, comfort, reliability, style and overall it's just fun to drive."

Best bang for the buck at the time!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Best performance car at the price in 1998."

Cons: "Some may consider the ride a bit taught."

1998 Z28 Camaro

"I bought the '98 Z28 new to use as a commuter car, replacing my '86 Corvette. I just couldn't see wearing out another Vette commuting to work and back. While the Z28 didn't handle near as well as the Vette, it did have perhaps a bit more power. I have 64K miles on it now and have not had any problems, except for air conditioning loss of Freon and a leaky clutch slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is a bid deal on a Camaro, as it is an integral part of the throwout bearing. That means that the transmission has to be removed to replace it! IMO, this was a big mistake on GM's part, just to save a couple of dollars in manufacturing. That said, the power of the LS1 engine is impressive and published dyno tests indicate that the horse power was underrated. Rear wheel HP is typically around 290. Considering that the car is light by today's standards, it is quick. The driveline is tighter than the '86 Vette and the body far more solid, with very few rattles. Handling is not anywhere as good as the Vette, but better than most cars. Gas millage is very good, considering that the engine is 5.7L, and I average around 24MPG commuting and 27MPG on trips. For a quick, go fast, good handling car, I don't think there was any competition at the time. The brakes are stellar! BTW, I searched hard to get my Z28 with a solid top, as I had my fill of flexing bodies and water leaks. All in all, a great car at the price. Unfortunately, now at 74 years of age, I am not so forgiving of the low entry and firm ride. I'm sure though that a younger person will enjoy it as much as I did."

1998 Z28 Camaro

Teens dream

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Stick shift, T-Tops, Speed and acceleration"

Cons: "Gas milage"

"I have had this car for just over a year. I was nervous to get this as a first car because of the stick but now I love to drive the stick in this car. It doesn't get the best mpg around 18. In the last year i have had to replace the clutch pressure plate and fuel pump but these are the first major repairs that the car has had in its life time. If you get one with T-tops it is one of the funnest things to drive around in. The car has many aftermarket parts that you can get to enhance the performance and make it sound like a beast."

Best Car I ever bought for $500

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and parts are cheep and plentifull"

Cons: "The window motors like to go out"

"I've only had the water pump and the fuel pump go out and after i change them out most reliable car I've ever had it out lasted two Chrysler a Ford and a Pontiac and its still tucking if you need cheep reliable transportation that has some style get on of these"

Great Car. Mimimal Work needed.

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, Fun to drive. Reliable. Comfty."

Cons: "Passenger Side Window motor"

"I bought my 97 on a used car lot in Cleveland. At first I hated it. I needed to put quite a bit of work into it. However I only paid 3400 for the car. So the dealer probably paid 1100 for it. I put $1300 overall into the car the 5 years I had it. None of the repairs were anything serious. The repairs consisted of tires, tune up, battery, thermostat, brake line, oil changes, fuel filter, serpentine belt and I never got around to it, but it needed a passenger side window motor. THAT IS THE ONLY COMPLAINT you will see on this car, for some reason GM put a weak motor in the passenger side. But in the long run. 4600 bucks for a car that lasts me 5 years running. I am satisfied."

bad design flaw

By on Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pros: "good gas milage"

Cons: "optispark distributor location"

"I've owned my Camaro for 11 years and all I've done is put distributor after distributor into it every 2 years!! Its crazy!! But otherwise the motor is solid for its age and milage."

This thing is a handful

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Super fun, great handling, Great sound system"

Cons: "Disrespect it and it will kill you quick, Bad MPG"

"Truthfully, I would NOT get this car if you want a daily driver, Its peppy with great handling, the v8s are corvette fast, heck even mine is down into the 6 second 0-60. But there are a lot of trade offs, its hard to get into if you are tall like me, There isn't a lot of room once you are in there, the MPG are atrocious (13 consistent for me with constant heavy driving) the car does not like you, if you ignore it even for a few seconds it will run off the road and kill you, PAY ATTENTION WHILE YOU DRIVE. It is a great car and i have driven mine for 2 years everyday, be careful in rain and avoid snow. I love mine and dont let me scare you away from one, just be prepared to own a baby supercar."

My video

My 0 to 100 run, not 100 percent throttle till 2nd gear

Good 2nd car

By on Wednesday, September 09, 2009

"My current Camaro is a '99 Z28 purchased from a repossession auction. Even with 93k miles on it, the car still runs out strong. The LS1 motor has always been solid, holding up well to whatever a normal driver can throw at it. Every time I punch the throttle, I get a little adrenaline rush. If you're easily seduced by the sound of a pushrod V8, this car will get you to do things that your insurance company would cringe over. Now for the problems. Since I've had two of these, I'll just list the commonalities here: The interior is a bad joke. The front-left turn signal keeps burning out for no reason. I wouldn't force anyone (that I like) to sit in the back seat for longer than about 15 minutes. If you drive it in the snow, you will be very sorry. Parking this long, low car can be a frustrating task. It's probably not the best choice if a silky smooth ride is a primary concern. Over rough roads, this car will rattle the fillings out of your teeth. While driving the Camaro, you aren't likely to forget that it's a sports car (ever!). Overall, however, these vehicles are excellent values for their drivetrains alone. The engines respond well to bolt-on components, and will provide years of faithful service even under harsh conditions. If you're looking for a used car with monstrous base power and a tremendous upside, there aren't many better choices at this price point."

Outstanding wheels

By on Thursday, July 30, 2009

"I ordered this car special in 1994 (1995 model) in the convertible model and "Polo Green" color with tan leather seats..took 4 months to get. But I was not disappointed. I had 2 warranty problems in the early years, fixed without hassle. It is stock except I installed a custom "air foil" to replace the low one on the trunk lid...and had it painted to match the car. This Z28, with the LT1 engine, goes like the wind you feel at 120 mph. The faster it goes, the smoother the ride! No kidding! I know newer models have more horses, but this is more than enough for me! The Kelley Blue book says its worth $8855 at most! Ha! I would not sell this baby for less than I paid for it...about $30,000. Got it for the investment of a truely classic car, and will wait...and have fun doing just that! This car, at 14 years old, is like new and I love it. A big thank you to the Chevy engineers and the guys who put it together!!"