2008 Chevrolet Aveo

7.0

Based on 755 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

7.1/10
    7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.4/10

8 Years driving a great car

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, grat MPG's"

Cons: "cheap construction materials, it gets dented easy."

"I bought this car brand new in 2004 because it was at the time the only subcompact car besides the Scion Xa and Xb in the U.S. market. (I chose this one because they financed it for only %1.9 for 5 years vs 6.8% with Toyota/Scion). I have to say that the negatives is that the material on the car are cheap. I mean, my car paint and dashboard have changed color because of the S.FLA sun and are know color bleached. I have notice that this affected most "Sunshine Yellow" Aveos in Sunny ares of the country. Also, the hubcaps paint simply melted and the Korean tires that had OEM where terrible. In a more positive note, I drove this car back and forward from Miami to Albuquerque, NM (where I lived for 3 years) and never had any particular issue. The car had great MPG's until a cylinder began to misfire thanks to a problem in the ignition coil, which I bought new for $30 and replace by myself. Most mechanics (even GM certified mechanics) could find the issue. I got to fix it thanks to a Cuban mechanic that actually knows what he is doing and it doesn't wait for the code to come up to tell him something is wrong. The interior space is incredible. I would say it is even better than some "mid size" cars. Also, at least my wagon, has a lot of cargo space once you move the seats forward. When I moved from Miami to Albuquerque, I filled up the back with all my personal belongings and I even bought a lot of stuff at Ikea (no Ikea in NM) and I still had space to fin another person. Also, it is one of the few car I have own where my father (6.3) can seat on the back comfortably. One thing I have to say my car has is personality. I got it a pikachu front plate and since then people call it "The Pikachu" and kids love my car. One thing I have done is to keep my car well maintained and try to be a little bit more over protective than the manufacture suggestions. I did the rimming belt on my car as soon as my car got to 50,000 miles instead of waiting to 60,000 miles as the manual says. I also try to keep it as original as I can, but I know that some OEM parts are not as good a the replacement. One good thing is that new spare parts are incredibly cheap and there is a lot of used spare parts (like the hubcaps) which can be found quite easy."

Excellent Mileage - Great Little Car!

By on Sunday, September 20, 2009

"My husband and I bought a 2004 Aveo when we were in Florida. It has proven to be an excellent car both for city and highway driving. The last trip we took in the car was to Niagara Falls which was a six hour drive and we got 42 miles per gallon going up and 38 on our trip back home. You can't beat it for gas mileage! As for power - this little car has the power to pass without hesitation and acceleration when needed - is there. I would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone that appreciates better gas mileage overall and low maintenance. We have never had one problem with our Aveo and with regular oil changes and only one set of new tires recently (car is now five years old!) we anticipate many more years usage. For those that want all the bells and whistles this car may not be for you. Our Aveo has a single disk CD player and the upgraded sound system which is very adequate. There are no power door locks, power windows, power seats or cruise control features. Although the front bucket seats do recline and there is lots of leg room and places for your drinks, the back seat has little leg room. For those with small children it would be very suitable but older children and adults may be crowded. One plus is that the back bench seat folds all the way down and brings complete access to the trunk if needed. For those that appreciate excellent gas mileage, low maintenance and reliability - this is a wonderful car!"

Worst engine timing belt situation ever conceived

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "decent body, fair handling, comfortable seat(pass)"

Cons: "Lousy timing belt design prone to anytime failure!"

"We just for all practical purposes lost our 2005 Aveo on 03/31/14 because of lousy plastic parts in the timing belt housing. we weren't "racing" or any such destructive driving.This is no doubt a critical error in the timing belt mechanics. What can you say about a car that has a decent body and interior but can self-destruct at any time, and at any mileage regardless of the timing belt replacement. Well I'm happy to say we will never drive another Aveo again!"

Accident Awareness

By on Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Unfortunately recently as of yesterday my car was tottaled. I had a Chevy Aveo 2007. Ran perfect never had any problems. I loved the car because it was a great value and good quality. My parents purchased it in outlook of the safety of the vehicle. To our dismay yesterday when a car t-boned us and desecrated the passenger side of the automobile only to continue pushing it over so it landed on our drivers side, the side curtain airbags failed to show any use. Not a single airbag in our vehicle came out. Fortunately neither one of us, my mother [driver] or myself the [passenger] had any major injuries (just some scrapes and bruises from where we were hanging by the seatbelt). The car body did an ok job of holding up, yet when impacted compartments inside the vehicle also ended up broken, most likely because of the velocity of the crash. In conclusion, the car was liable and drove well, never any major complaints. I just wanted to let others know about the so called excellent 'safety' of this vehicle."

Fun to drive!

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Front interior room, fun to drive, good value."

Cons: "Jumpy front suspension, tires wear quickly."

"My 2006 Aveo has been very reliable over the past six years. Gas mileage has averaged 27-30 overall, which could be better. Other than some front suspension problems, the car has been very dependable and a good value for the money."

Just a great little car with very good mileage.

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

"I bought this car used with around 30,000 miles on it and use it as a work car and it has served me well. I'm 6'4'' and was surprized at the room this little car has, and the truck has room for a bale of cedar bedding chips for the dog. It now has 118,000 miles and I've had no mechanical issues at all. Thanks Chevy! John"

perfect vehicle for commuting or training kids

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

"we purchased the basic level Aveo with the specific purpose of training our daughters how to drive a manual transmission vehicle and appreciate the difference between lower / upper level trim packages. We have been rewarded with an extremely reliable and fuel efficient 5 years of service. I strongly recommend this car for anyone seeking an over the top reliable fuel efficient basic transportation platform. We have had zero problems with it."

Good dependable low end car

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "Good little economic car"

Cons: "Could use more legroom for the back"

"If you keep up with the oil changes and timing belt replacements this is a good little commuting car. Timing belts need to be checked every 30K and replaced every 60K I did have a problem with an airbag sensor in the passenger's seat which may have been due to things rolling under the seat and hitting the wiring. It was an expensive ($1,300) repair."

Terrible Experience.

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"This car is one of the worst new cars I have owned. When I bought it new in 2005, I had to have various parts replaced or repaired, which was mostly warranteed. However, the time spent going back and forth to the dealer service center was extensive and annoying. The dealership had informed me that lots of the 2005 Aveos were having numerous manufacturing problems. The car was well priced, but the trouble I had to go through to maintain it really diminished the value of the vehicle in my experience. Also, the vehicle hydroplaned at very low speeds in barely wet driving conditions, regardless of the tire pressure and tread-ware. It made me very uncomfortable driving if there was rain. Despite the car being a front-wheel drive, it was horrendous in the snow. My old 1991 Ford Escort was better in the snow than the aveo. No matter the driving locations or conditions, my car never reached 27 mpg. I don't know if maybe I had a "dud," but my experience with the Aveo was stressful, expensive, and a terrible let-down. Fortunately, I was able to get a trade-in for the value of the car and purchased a Scion instead, which has great gas mileage, a better warranty, and much higher safety ratings."

Great car for a low price.

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "great price, low maintenance, fun to drive"

Cons: "only has a radio in SVM, no bells/whistles"

"I bought this car as a grad student and it fit my budget. It gets me where I need to go, which, for me right now, is exactly what I need. I am a scientist and need to haul coolers and as long as no one needs to sit in the back seat, it hauls my gear just fine! There is some room in the trunk but it's not super-spacious. I've replaced the timing belt and had to replace a wheel bearing (the latter was under warranty). I also had an issue with the door lock falling into the door recently! It was an easy fix (for the dealer), but was quite annoying. My car is a manual and at 85K, I am surprised the clutch is still in good shape. (My previous car's clutch needed to be replaced by this time, but then again I had learned how to drive stick-shift on that car...LOL). I am happy with this car overall and glad I purchased it nearly 7 years ago. I'll probably be in the market soon for a new vehicle (maybe) but happy this one has served me well. The only major complaint I have is the way the windshield is shaped. There seems to be more of a blindspot in this car than in other ones I have driven. I'm used to it, but I can see it being problematic for others."

Good Value

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Good Value"

Cons: "one cup holder os round and the other is square"

"This car is a little small for me but I am taller than average I bought this car used a year ago and have not experienced any problems The only thing that i have done to the car is changed the timing belt and water pump but any four cylinder car has to have the timing belt changed between 60,000 to 100,000 miles it is normal maintenance and not very expensive to do i paid $230.00 at the dealer fun car to drive with good visibility decent handling and good gas mileage if i drive it at a constant 70 miles per hr I usually get around 38 miles per gallon in the city around 28 mpg"

Nice reliable little car

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "Great price, dependable, fun to drive and easy on"

Cons: "Little loud on the road noise"

"Bought the car new at about $9000. has a 100000 miles and does not use a drop of oil between oil changes. I use synthetic motor oil and change it every 5000 miles. I drive mostly hwy miles and get between 36 to 38 MPG. A little less in winter months."

Loved it at first, Cooling to lukewarm now...

By on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, roomy in front, price"

Cons: "repair bills adding up"

"We bought our 2006 Aveo used, it had about 65,000 miles on it from being a rental. Now, at 90,500 miles, we have had several problems. The timing belt broke. The struts went shot, and it's was $ 1,000 to fix, just had to replace the thermostat cover, it blew and left me stranded. Had to replace tires twice because of the struts, before we figured out the struts were shot. Now the motor is having issues and we are waiting to find out how much it will be to fix it this time. It started off as a very reliable car, but now it seems to be one thing after another going wrong."

You get what you pay for...

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "fuel efficiant, cheap, compact"

Cons: "Not a Chevy, flimsy, difficult to repair"

"I purchased this car used, specifically looking for a Chevy (my family all drives Chevy and all of the vehicles have been reliable so far) after looking into it a little bit and found the Aveo which seemed to suit my needs perfectly, compact, fuel efficient, cute. I ended up buying the car but noticed bits of the interior (most notably the door handles) were chipping away, it didn't seem like too big of a deal until it chipped away so much you couldn't get out of the car without cutting your hand and one day the handle just finally broke off. After that the air conditioner broke twice (busted lines) and since it's not technically a GMC vehicle (that's right folks, it's a Daewoo, a Koren made car with a Chevy sticker on it) the parts were pretty difficult to find, not to mention pretty pricy. All-in-all not pleased with this car, and I'm pretty sure I won't be buying from Chevy anymore."

BEWARE!

By on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pros: "THE COLOR OF THE CAR WAS NICE"

Cons: "IT BROKE DOWN AFTER HAVING ANOTHER PROBLEM FIXED"

"DON'T BUY ONE PLAIN AND SIMPLE. TIMING BELT JUST BROKE. I GUESS THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE EVEN BEFORE THE 60,000 MILE RECOMMENDATION AND APPARENTLY CHEVY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND YOU AT ALL."

Great Car 2 Drive

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I bought my 04 when they first came out (in 2004). I absolutely LOVE my little orange rollerskate. I bought the automatic, which I'm grateful for. The get up and go that this little car has is very suprising, the looks on the faces of the people in their big fancy cars when we blow pass them going up-hill is the best. I bought an upgraded model. It has the premium sound system with mp3, tinted windows, tilt wheel, rear spoiler and premium wheels. I replaced the original tires at 14000 miles and it does ride better. Since I replaced the tires my mpg has gone up to 36mpg. I have no bad things to say about this car. Its wonderful and I would and have suggested to others looking to buy a new car to look at the Chevy AVEO. By the way, I am 6 feet tall and most of my friends are 6 feet and taller. We all fit very comfortably in this car, there is a suprising amount of room from the tops of our heads to the roof of the car. Plus we all have long legs which is not a problem. My daughter and I have taken several cross crountry trips and have been more then comfortable on them. I have had NO mechanical problems, I just make sure I change the oil and rotate the tires when I'm supposed to. If your looking for a good, reliable, non gas guzzler, comfortable and cute car-then you should check out the AVEO."

Very dependable.

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

"Our Aveo has been very dependable. It has averaged 35 to 37 mpg. It is not as quiet as more expensive cars. We have been very happy with it."

bigbangforlittlebucks

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"Purchased the vehicle as a second choice to no inventory of solid used cars. It was a Red Tag Dealer Special. The vehicle is quiet, peppy, handles well. It has great standard features for the trim (LS Hatch) level. It does not have ABS - I don't feel that a vehicle this size needs it if one is an pre-ABS, experienced, driver. I was looking for a basic vehicle with a stick shift and crank windows, AC, CD/MP3 and dual side mirrors that had a low profile for urban parking. This vehicle is a comfortable commuter with very good comfort capabilities (all manual). It does what it has to do for the price point. The vehicle is serviced by the dealership that sold me the car new, and my experience has been excellent. I had only a few minor trim defects fixed and there was no problem. Recently, I detected a slight antifreeze odor outside the vehicle after a long highway trip. The dealer service department noticed that the thermostat housing was defective and replaced the defective part (overnight). I was offered courtesy transportation to and from my home; I own other vehicles and did not require a loaner. One Caveat I have not experienced the city/highway MPG it touted on the sticker. In 32K miles, I've only gotten 26/29 respectively at best estimate. This is a little disappointing as an ex- Chevy-Toyota Nova - Geo Metro owner. If I'd known that the actual MPG would deviate from the window sticker this much, I would have purchased more car. Other than this, it's been a great little vehicle."

Fine for the price

By on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pros: "Responsive, stable handling, cost $10K new"

Cons: "low ground clearance"

"Multiple front wheel bearing replacements needed. Small electrical problems (flashing clock light when headlights on and it's damp; occasional other electrical anomalies, but nothing unduly serious). Small car, so scraping ground clearance for Vermont's "mud season", but lots of room to haul stuff if the back seats are folded down. Seems very stable in handling. Wide stance. Needs new tie-rod end at 100K miles. Leaking front MacPherson strut. Milage never better than 38 in summer with a light foot, highway driving, but roof rack likely why. ~ 27 mpg in winter in cold, with resisting studded snows, lots of friction, cold weather idling."

Best investment ever!

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pros: "Great value for the money."

Cons: "Wears tires out quickly"

"I bought this car in 2007 for $8900 new on the lot. It is just a plain basic car with nothing fancy. The only maintenance that I have had to do is changing the timing belt, spark plugs, servicing fluids, and oil changes. It now has 196000 miles on it and runs like it did when new. I recently checked the brake pads, and they are still in good shape. These are still the original brakes. The only problem that I have with it is that it will eat a set of tires in 20,000 miles, even if the alignment is good and the tires get rotated frequently. This has been the best investment I have made in a car. I would definitely buy another like it."

Wish they still made them !

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

"I would buy another in a heartbeat. Comfortable driving, great gas milage,good hauling ability with fold-up seats and sporty looks. Only fault...cd only, no cassette player !"

At first I was in Love, no longer feeling the Love

By on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage, get up and go for such a small car."

Cons: "Maintenance, Small, backseat isn't comfortable."

"We first bought this car thinking the mileage would be good. It started out great. Then we had to replace tires like crazy. The car just doesn't drive right according to mechanics. Radiator blew in it. Mileage deteriorated quickly. It seems there is always something that needs fixed with this car. I know cars need maintenance, but this much is becoming too much. The value of the car almost makes it no worth it to fix it. After getting this car, we found out 2 years later that a carseat does not work well in this car. The middle of the backseat is higher than the rest therefore the carseat does not fit there, and to put it behind the front seats means you have to move that seat forward quite a bit making it uncomfortable for the person in the front. The backseat is really small and really only seats kids in boosters well. Must have short legs to fit back there. Loved our little Jellybean for the first year, (bought in 09'), but it's becoming too much of a problem."

Very satisfied - have 190,000 miles on this car

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "dependable, comfortable, easy to get in and out of"

Cons: "noisy cabin, doesn't cool quickly"

"I have put 190,000 miles on this 2005 hatchback car and it is still running great. It has a slight oil leak that I have not tried to deal with as it is very slight. I did replace a rear axle bearing early in the car's life, but that is the only work I've had to have done on it. The cabin is not quiet, but I don't mind that too much. Also the A/C works well but takes a while to cool the car when it's hot out as the car must not be insulated. The heater on the other hand heats the car up very well."

Cheap to Buy , Very Expensive to Own

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Cheap to Buy"

Cons: "Very expensive to own"

"We bought this car for our daughter used with 35000 miles on it . Problems include door lock parts fell apart inside door,valve cover gasket leaked into spark plugs causing misfires(dealership wanted to sell us a new head, we found an honest mechanic who fixed it). Rear brakes fell apart backing up, this locked up the drum and back plate all had to be replaced. And several thousand dollars worth of front end work done at 70000 miles . I am a chevy Man always have been but this car is an embarassment. This car was cheap to buy initially but very expensive to own."

Great Little Car

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

"We now have 4 Aveos in our family. A 2004, 2005, 2007 and just bought q new 2009. They have all been extremely reliable, dependable and economical to opoerate. I am 6' 3" tall and have plenty of room both head and leg. For the money I consider it to be the best in its class."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Aveo near Honolulu. See local deals