• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

1997 Chevrolet 1500 Regular Cab

Based on 1604 Ratings for the 1990 - 1999 models.

Best Full size truck ever!!

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Great power and always starts the first time"

Cons: "The placment of the cup holders."

"There is a reason way the 5.7 liter motor is so popular, and why so many use the GM 350 5.7 liter crate motors. Extremely powerful many add-ons, and a plethora of parts available. To my knowledge the 1998 is the last year you can get the 5.7 liter in the Silverado. This motor has been used since at least the early 60s and still very popular. Never had one engine issue. The only things that I have had to fix was the fuel pump and trans at around 200,000. I believe I could have gotten more mileage out of it, if I didn't beat it in the mud and rocks. I have owned over 20 vehicles in my life and this has to be one of my favs by far! Can never go wrong with a GM small block V8. They don't have overhead cams for better weight displacement and far greater reliability than the Ford V8 since they use the 3 timing chains that need to be replaced at 100,000 miles or when the timing chain goes it cracks the heads and bends the valves. Solid truck."

Good truck. Good MPG (for a truck) easy to repair

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pros: "Easy and cheap to maintain, lots of aftermarket"

Cons: "Won't win a beauty contest or get you there fast"

"Bought the truck with 130k has almost 200k now. Mpg has always been 15-20 around town driven nice. Had to replace some odds and ends. Overall for the person who just wants to jump in and drive (a basic truck) this one will do the job well. The inside door handles broke twice. Ball joints never seem to last and the truck never seems to wear tires even. Besides those things you wont find a better value for a truck in a 1/2 ton. BAR NONE."

Still Going strong

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Power power power"

Cons: "dash and controls are finally giving out at 220K"

"I have the awesome 350 with a 5 speed. I am running 35" tires and can still smoke both rear tires at will."

Best truck I've ever owned...

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

"I own three Chevy/GMC trucks and will not trade them for any other model. I love driving a Chevy truck and think my 93 model is my favorite. Love the truck, hope others do as well."

Got my money's worth!

By on Friday, June 08, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable and extremely useful."

Cons: "3rd door doesn't open all the way."

"I bought this 97 Silverado truck used back in 2002 or so. I spent 13,000 on it, and it had about 89,000 miles. I've never had a major purchase work out so well. It's been my daily driver ever since; we've been two-tracking, trailer hauling, back-road bouncing and highway cruising. 22mpg on the highway trips. More power than I've ever really needed, and the extended cab is so useful! Can take extra passengers in a pinch, or store all my extra jackets, hats, groceries, whatever, while the bed handles gas cans, pallets, lawnmowers, dead deer, whatever I need to haul. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, and run it through the car wash a couple times/month. It's never been garaged. I did replace the fuel pump twice; one computer controller, the battery, and the usual stuff like brakes, belts, and plug wires. Everything else, including the exhaust, is stock. Last summer I did have to re-build the cab corners and rocker panels; was able to get paint to match and I'm pretty good with bondo. Part of living in Michigan. I also had to replace the tailgate hinges. The only thing I would change is I wish it was a 4 wheel drive, just for fun, and the really stupid thing the engineers did was make the back door only open 90 degrees, instead of far enough to fold back against the bed. The way it is, it's impossible to load groceries in the back seat unless the parking spot next you you is open."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet 1500 Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals