• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

1998 Chevrolet 1500 Extended Cab

Based on 1591 Ratings for the 1990 - 1999 models.

Pretty good truck.

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Great looks, rides nice, plenty of power, comfort."

Cons: "Fule pump issues, reliability just ok."

"I purchased this truck new in 1998. It has been my daily driver too and from work, now has about 125000 miles on it. Its a great looking truck, short bed with regular cab. It is vert comfortable and drives great, nice on long trips and the 4X4 works great in the snow. A couple of problem areas, I have replaced the fuel pump twice and cheap plastic drivers door handle twice. Other then that over the last 16 years I have replaced the head gaskets, water pump and alternator. I guess thats not terrible but its not great either. You expect repairs over time but I just don't have these type of reliability issues with imports I have owned.This truck is babied and has never hauled anything more then groceries. On the plus side the factory paint still looks great and there is not a single pin-spot of rust on this truck. I am a weekly driveway washer and take immaculate care of my vehicles, but I still have had rust issues with some imports. I get asked all the time if I would sell this truck. I still like it and plan on keeping it, the price of new trucks is crazy. I would recommend this truck."

Ford man finds value

By on Friday, December 05, 2014

Pros: "solid at 4820 lbs empty"

Cons: "At 4820 lbs unladen 350 cu in V8 i s jus adequit."

"Bought from soccer mom, had all life history maintenance. New alt, rad, starter, door seals. Virgin vehicle door handles both sides broken. door locks inop (fuse), misc door/ash tray lights out. Driver seat leather gone. Pint clear coat degraded top. Hairline windshield crack behind wind shield wipers running parallel, stock rims, 75% tread ware. No reg..No non-op. Fees $375.00 SMOG numbers very good with good compression. No leaks,, trans/transfers 4 WD on fly very good. 15 mpg"

Excellent long term hold on 5.7 liter 3 door Z71

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Great price and fun to accessorize."

Cons: "Can't fit into micro parking spots."

"I bought this truck new in October 1997 with a goal to keep it for 10 years or 250,000 miles. It's now 17 years & 247,000 miles later and it's still running. About 90,000 of those miles were towing a 24' RV. The Transmission is starting to slip, but it's not been property maintained. I replaced the AC unit at 230k, although I run the defroster 95% of the time I'm driving (just gotta have air flow!) The Radiator and a few other things were replaced about the same time. I run synthetic motor oil with a high mileage filter since about 80k."

Oldie but a goodie

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

"Doesnt have the features newer vehicles offer, like ABS, other automated systems, but the basics of this truck never fail. When something wears out and needs replaced, cost is minimal, and most of the work I have been comfortable doing myself. Its a great running truck that gets me anywhere I need to go."

This is a "Travel Time Conversion" pickup. Custom

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

"Travel Time Conversion: Custom headlights, taillights, ARE bed cover. Custom chrome wheels, premium Sony sound system with amp component front spkrs, two 12" sub woofers, overhead console and bucket seats center console folds up for middle seat. Truck has been very reliable, gets 20 mpg. New tires with 6K miles"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet 1500 Extended Cab near Honolulu. See local deals