Okay, okay, we admit it's a bit premature to offer up any definitive list of top green-themed stories for 2009. But with yet another Earth Day upon us, we thought it would be worth taking a quick look back at 10 of this year's most significant and most popular KBB Green news items. As might be expected, their subject matter spans everything from new eco-friendly vehicles to advances in sustainable technology to fundamental changes in the legislative framework that will help shape and reshape the future of transportation well into the 21st century. So without further ado, and in no particular order, here are 10 stories that merited a just-in-timely Earth Day revisit.
1. 2010 Toyota Prius: Recasting an Eco Icon
Toyota Introduces its all-new and even more fuel-efficient take on the vehicle that made "Hybrid" a household word.
2. 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid Revealed
Honda's launches a mileage-maker for the masses in a serious bid to dethrone its archrival as King of the Hybrid Hill.
3. 2010 Fisker Karma/Karma S: Plug-in Passion
World-renowned auto designer Henrik Fisker creates the first luxury plug-in electric sedan -- and a throws in a convertible cousin for good measure.
4. Honda Moving Ahead with Electric Motorcycle for 2010-2011
Get ready, there's EV revolution coming to the world of two wheels.
5. 2011 CAFE Requirements Call For Eight Percent MPG Increase
America raises its mileage benchmarks and moves towards making a 35-mpg fleet average reality by 2020.
6. First Look: 2012 Tesla Model S Surfaces
This sleek-looking but more-affordable four-door EV is set to join the high-performance Roadster in Tesla's zero-emissions lineup.
7. Newark, Delaware Begins First U.S. Vehicle-to-Grid Charging Program
A first small-but-meaningful step to guarantee that cars of tomorrow will have all the power they need to keep going strong.
8. Toyota Creates First Certified Used Program for Hybrids
Borrowing a page from the pre-owned mainstream, Toyota warrants that buyers of its hybrids will have that "as-new" experience the second time around, as well.
9. MIT Breakthrough Allows Super-fast Recharging of Li-ion Batteries
New technology overcomes one key challenge to bringing plug-in hybrids and EVs to a showroom near you.
10. Ford To Offer Mileage-Maxing Six-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission
The Blue Oval Team picks a perfect partner to bring out the best in its new Eco-Boost engine families.