1998 Buick Regal

Based on 420 Ratings for the 1997 - 2004 models.

Great car, just old now

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "Very comfortable, CD and cassette"

Cons: "No auxiliary audio input"

"I bought this car in 2001, and have driven it into the ground! I love how easy it is to drive, and how comfortable and responsive it has been. I did not spend any major money for repairs, until the last few years - recently (again, with 200K miles) it has needed a new alternator, something is wrong with the emission system, and it has several smaller problems that I just never fixed (gas gauge, etc.). I have been to South Carolina, and all over Texas with this car. I wish I could buy another just like it but new!!"

an ok car, should have shopped smarter

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "great passing accerlation, windows de-ice quickly"

Cons: "no cup holder, air leaks around doors"

"Bought this car used exactly 60 months ago in 2006 with 57,000 miles. The car handles nicely down the highway and has lots of power and the sound system is excellent. The CD player still works! But, the odometer (cluster) went out at around 100k, my mechanic will replace it for $500. The transmission is "shift hunting" (stutters at idle and at initial acceleration. $900 solenoid repair according the the dealer. Engine is leaking oil at the valve covers, motor oil pan and transmission oil pan; $1,100 repair estimate. So... at "fair" re-sell value of $2,300 with repairs at $2,500, I'll be upside down $200 not to mention the $9,600 purchase price that I'll finish paying off in 6 days. Original owner probably drove it hard and didn't do the prescribed maintenance. Can't say, but I'll be more selective on my next auto purchase."

excellent car

By on Saturday, April 16, 2011

"I bought my 98 regal used in 2000 with 16K on it and now have 166k on it. The only things replaced are front brakes at 140k, belt at 120k and the battery after 9 years. Fantastic reliability and next to no repairs - best vehicle I have ever owned. No rust and it still looks and runs great, I would not hesitate to drive it accross country. I have a friend with a taurus of the same year and it looks and rides like a worn out car at only 145k."

Excellent Sedan

By on Saturday, November 20, 2010

"This is the premium Buick similar to a Century but with lots of upgrades, leather upholstery, nicer trim, better wheels, etc. - We had one for 7 years with no mechanical problems. It is a very comfortable car. Rear seat fold down for extra storage and hauling long items. Nice V6 engine with decent gas mileage"

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

"I've enjoyed my 98 Regal for over 12 years, have put 220,000 miles on it and it still drives and operates great. None of the import cars can compare to the comfort of a Buick - believe me, I've tried to talk myself into a Honda or Toyota more than once! My old Regal still gets 25 mpg on the highway, rivaling the competition. I'm glad Buick is making Regals again - it is hands down the best, most comfortable and dependable vehicle I've ever owned!"

Great vehicle. Beware at high miles.

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"I replaced my 1991 Regal (which I loved) with the 1999 Regal I am selling now. The options, reliability and gas mileage are great. At about 130,000 miles many electrical problems began. Every power window motor failed, gas gauge died, fog lights died, interior trunk release won't work, sunroof won't open. The car now has 150,000 and looking for a pasture to retire in."

Dependable

By on Sunday, January 03, 2010

"Have about 170k on this car. All orginal. Even orginal A\C. Daily driver. Never been in shop except for regulare maintance and tune ups. Drives excellent. Gets 29mpg on highway, but when u need to go, it will throw u in the seat. Fun car, hope it lasts another 10yrs."

Much better than expected!!

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"I inherited this vehicle when my grandfather recently passed. At first I was a little hesitant to own a Buick (I'm only 36), but my husband and I thought it would be nice to keep some miles off our minivan and I liked the idea of driving something smaller than the Town & Country around town. After driving this car 6 hours home from my grandfather's place in southern Oregon, any prejudices I once had about Buick were long gone! I love this car. Smooth acceleration, good handling, and comfort for miles. It's solid, quiet, and has good visibility. I would rather drive my new Regal than my husband's '06 Charger! It's been a fantastic car and I'm looking forward to many more miles and years with it."

Love this car!

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"I have 117,000 original miles and plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Every other car pales in comparison when I think of shopping around. The leather seats are the best!"

We bought the car new and it has been a great car.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "A nice car, fun to drive, very good condition"

Cons: "Fender needs repair"

"A very good car to drive. Mileage is good and have had regular oil changes and repairs as they are needed. It has no rust but the right front fender needs to be repaired."

Reliable and comfortable

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Good road car. Great gas mileage"

Cons: "Limited cup holders."

"Comfortable and reliable car. Great highway gas mileage and not bad around town. Good road car overall."

My car has been very reliable.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Earlier this year I spent alot of money on repairs. Those repairs were needed for maintenance updates because of its age."

the best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "price and luxury"

"I like the luxury and it has one of the best engines ever made. It is a very dependable car. There is a good amount of room inside and a nice size trunk."

Great car

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Great, under rated, high performance, and comfortable car."

Love this car

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pros: "good mileage, comfortable and fast"

Cons: "cup holders are easy to break"

"Very fast pickup from a stop. I get 24-29mpg on highway but only 17-19mpg in town.It's a very smooth ride. The only thing negative would be paint job fading on bumper and around the windows. If we were not planning on rving I would keep this car forever."

great car

By on Monday, January 09, 2012

"I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and have taken it halfway across the country (literally). It's got a LOT of miles left in it...and I plan on keeping it for a long time."

comfort/versatile/fast

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

"had since 2000 and 15,000 miles. Economical, good looking, agile, quick. Drove over 120,000 miles mechanically sound with easy maintenance. dependable comfort."

0 to 60 under 7 seconds, 28 MPG HGWY Sedan

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "price, performance, ride, split fold down 60/40"

Cons: "old radio, no inputs, plastic is not the nicest"

"2001 Buick Regal GS styling never got old. I shopped to find a better car for past 3 years and I can not find one. The GS when equiped with good tires is the best riding, stopping, handling, accelerating sedan for the money. I do not understand how the KBB estimate is not higher. If you find one of these, buy it and love it. I got as high as 32 MPG and no less than 27 MPG HGWY, and 22 MPG around town. At 10 years"

The best car I have ever owned.

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "Sports car look"

Cons: "I never found anything I didn't like with this car"

"We bought our Regal used. Had an electrical issue right off but was fixed by the buick garage. Good gas mileage with such a powerful engine. The outside style of this car never gets old! It always looked in style. Inside the instruments are easy to use, seats are more than comfortable with plenty of leg room in the rear. Always a joy to drive, very responsive, corners very well and accelerates fast! Sound system excellent although the cd player ate a disc after a few years and hasn't worked since (I'm used to cd players going bad in cars). Have had a computer failure and other usual problems associated with age."

excellent car

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, economical, spacious trunk, dependabl"

Cons: "dumb front cupholder location"

"Bought it used and switched to synthetic oil and saw 30mpg highway. Problems were a leak in a shrader valve in AC, and electrical problems in taillights due to poor installation of trailer connector. Engine did use 2 - 3 quarts of oil between changes. Car was totaled in a highway accident but driver emerged with barely a scratch. Even with passenger door crushed, roof crushed, windshield pillar crushed, engine was running along with a/c and stereo. We were sad to leave it."

Love this car

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "lots of torque. Great sound system."

Cons: "gas mileage is poor if you have a heavy foot."

Me and my GS

"There is not a car on the planet that I would trade for this car. 3.8 supercharged! Power when you need it. Economy when you don't."

Me and my GS

Very good car

By on Friday, April 08, 2011

"I have owned about 12 cars since 1984 and this is one of the best. I have owned this car for 8 years now and the only issue I have had was from a clogged catalytic converter which was covered under a recall. I am a big fan of Japanese cars, but this thing is a real testament to Buick quality."

Reliable v.s Quality

By on Wednesday, February 02, 2011

"I have owned this car for 6 years now. It is a 2000 GS. The car is incredibly reliable, only failing one time because the fuel pump mod went bad ($1,200 repair). However, the quality of the car is not that good. When I first bought it, the driver window motor went out ($300). Over the past 2 years, ALL the rest of the window motors failed (including the sunroof), simply unacceptable. The door lining is falling off along with the door panels themselves. The low tire, check engine light, low coolant, and airbag light never turn off. The heated seats no longer work. The gas mileage is awful. The best I have ever gotten is 22 mpg highway, sad when I have to buy premium gas for the supercharger. Overall this car has been great in terms of running (have 133,000 miles), but the annoyances of poor build quality and bad gas mileage makes me have to not reccomend this vehicle."

03 Regal LS

By on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"119000 miles and still a great car. Just had the tranny rebuilt, but other than that it has been basically bulletproff. Buick builds a great car and she gets 30 plus mpg on the highway. This car should go another 75K miles without much in the way of repairs. Too bad GM ceased using the 3.8 V6 as that is one of the very best engines ever built. If you want a reliable inexpensive all around good car, buy a Buick with a 3.8 V6. This would be a great first car for kids."

Best Overall Value

By on Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Best price, return on investment, least maintenance, no warranty issues, great fuel economy, would buy another one if I could find one in excellent condition."