2004 BMW Z4

9.3

Based on 215 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Not very comfortable

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

Reason: terrible ride and noise

"I've owned many roadsters and sports cars however this car was unacceptable when it came to ride comfort and noise. Of course, sports cars aren't going to ride like a Rolls Royce but I couldn't take this car anywhere over 100 miles from my house because the ride was so bad."

Most fun to drive of the dozen cars i've owned

By on Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pros: "A blast to drive"

Cons: "Maintenance (new brakes, gaskets, etc.) pricey."

"Best car for road feel, handling, demands acceleration through corners, not just coming out of corners. I'm AARP-age and daily commute hasn't bothered my back for 8 years, but yes, you'll feel the road more than a land cruiser. But because I'm a commuter, flaw is cupholders, cheap plastic popouts. The spring clip died or came loose. What should be a $5 clip replacement is a $200 unit replacement. $600 each to replace two engine gaskets. Gaskets are dirt cheap, so it must be labor. Brakes are about $500 each, front vs. back, but my original set went for 55,000 miles, commendable. Lousy in snow with summer or even all-weather tires. Much better if you go to extra expense of winter tires and swapping out each season. Minor gripes except for pricey maintenance costs. Most fun for dollar now that Honda retired S2000, though if you can't afford those, Miata5 is a worthy step back. Buy your times from TireRack if dealer gouges you. I've bought run flats there for less than $180 mentioned in another review here."

VERY FUN CAR TO DRIVE AND A VERY GOOD VALUE

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "GREAT VALUE"

Cons: "NOT GOOD IN SNOW"

"I USE TO RACE GO KARTS AND THIS VEHICLE HANDLES AND FEELS LIKE MY RACING KART. TONS OF FUN FOR THE ROAD."

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"Great car for the most part. Has some "issues" but don't they all. Fun, exciting car to drive. Great acceleration and good mileage. We have two Z4's. Love em both !"

My previous favorite car was a 1973 BMW Bavaria 3L

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pros: "Everlything"

"Fabulous car. Great style, very comfortable, best A/C ever. I have ever been able to make the tires squeak. Started autocross last week and very pleased. I have owned more that 60 cars, 40+ cars where new and this is the best so far. Fast, stable and fun!"

I love my car.....I smile every time I get in :-)

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "solid.......fun to drive.......makes me smile"

Cons: "bumpy ride.....pricey maintenance"

"I love my car.......I will buy another one!!!"

Always brings a smile to my face

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "a blast to drive"

Cons: "would be costly to repair"

"I am the second owner of a 2003 3.0, 6-speed, with premium and sport package. I love this car. It's quick, agile, and surprisingly comfortable for touring. The soft top takes up practically zero trunk space, so you can pack for a long weekend with no problem. Put Michelin run-flats on it a couple of years ago. They are a huge improvement over the OEM Bridgestones. I've had minimal problems the 4 years and 35k miles I've owned it. Biggest expense was replacing a power window motor. The cup holders are flimsy, had to replace both of them. Other than that, it's been completely reliable. I plan on keeping it several more years"

Fabulous handling & fun, sporty drive

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Incredibly responsive, sexy car. Worth it!"

Cons: "cup holders best for small, sturdy containers only"

"Excellent handling, turning, quality, reliability. Outstanding car. Only regret is not attending the BMW driving class on the east coast. Love unique shifting with paddles on the steering wheel. Turns on a dime. Only negative is that Sirius radio wasn't available when purchased."

So much better than the new sDrive...

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "The best, bar none, weekend driver you can buy."

Cons: "Not so good in a city or on bad roads. Or snow."

My baby, brand new

"The 2006 BMW Z4, of any build, is infinitely better than the new sDrive Z4. The electronic controls have removed the driver from the new car. The 2006 Z4 is one of my favorite cars I've ever seen, and I'm lucky enough to have put 100,000+ miles on it with no mechanical issues. It looks fantastic, and driving through the mountains with the top down is one of lifes greatest luxuries. I could go on and on about how wonderful the car is. I really could. But I don't feel there's enough elaboration on the negatives, which are primarily ride comfort and maintenance costs. A full set of new brakes will run about $1000 installed, tires are generally Z rated and $180/tire (More if you stick with the runflat bricks) and though nothing ever really goes wrong, anything to do on the car is incredibly expensive. I had an oil pan gasket replaced and it costed me nearly $800. The ride comfort is... To put it bluntly, terrible. Low profile tires and a racing stiff suspension, you will feel every bump, rock, crack, and divet in every surface you drive on. As a daily commuter in a city, you will develop back problems quickly. That being said, that same suspension and those wide rear tires make this car one of the best weekend cruisers to have ever been made. I have the E89 i6 278hp 270lb/ft plant in my car, and that engine, combined with the amazing dual clutch flappy-paddle gearbox is an absolute DREAM to rev into the upper 6800rpms and hear that great engine purring as you cut a corner with the top down and the sun on your face. BMWs last true Ultimate Driving Machine."

My baby, brand new

What a Winner

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "A real driver's car."

Cons: "Typical Z4 crummy cup holders."

"This is my third Z car. Started with a Z3 a few years ago. Gave up a low mileage 2003 Z4 that won awards in area car shows for the Z4M. Glad I did. What a joy to drive. I don't find the ride harsh at all. It's just very solid. The engine is the most flexible I've ever encountered; very tractable at low rpm and a real screamer above 4500. It'll never be a rare car (they made 3041 N. America roadsters), but it should retain good value if well cared for. My wife will not believe it, but this is likely my last car. It's that good."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW Z4 near Honolulu. See local deals