• The 40+ MPG Cars of 2015
  • New Car Buyer's Guides

2003 BMW Z4

9.3

Based on 222 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Well worth it

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"Alright so here's how it goes. Mine is the 3.0i with the SMG transmission. At first I was against it because I've driven nothing else than a manual my entire life. I was most impressed and if at all possible I will always opt for the SMG. I know some reviewers say that in town driving with an SMG is choppy and weird, but all it really comes down to is making sure you manually downshift (the car automatically downshifts as you slow down, though I feel its a little behind) with the paddles and never shift to 1st until you are completely stopped. I have absolutely no qualms with it. As far as gas mileage goes. In town driving I get about (and this is moderately aggressive driving) 22-24 mpg. On the interstate at an average speed of 75-80 MPH I get 33-34 MPG. And best of all, when I'm on the highway traveling between 55-60 MPH I get 37-38 MPG. Its fantastic and worth every penny. Now as far as buying one, I suggest getting every option possible because it makes the car feel the way BMW designed it to be. I have the premium package, sports package, convenience package, navigation, and M sport seats. Nothing here is left to be desired, and thats the way it should be. I would reccomend buying a CPO vehicle as well (certified pre-owned). It comes with the exact same warranty as the original factory warranty as well as some other options you can purchase. I personally bought a CPO vehicle and love it everyday. The only thing I have to pay for for the next 4 years is gas and insurance. -All maintenance is free -Oil and oil changes are free -EVEN THE WIPER BLADES ARE FREE!!! All of this for 4 years. Absolutely great. Its why I'll be a return customer. BMW treats you like you're the big shot. Simply Amazing."

Great fun roadster!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pros: "quality, mileage (for sports car), handling, speed"

Cons: "bad cupholders, small trunk space, visibility"

"For a sports car (roadster or otherwise) it's a great little car with lots of leg room. The cabin is surprisingly quiet and the sound system (Premium Sound) is really good even with the top down. I got this CPO and the previous owners kept it in top shape. Handling is amazing (I had an MR2 which had great go-cart handling -- the Z is just as much fun) and acceleration is awesome. The build quality is smart and classy, as we expect from BMW. Most important, this car puts a smile on my face every time I take a ride. And when I'm not driving it, I think about taking it for a ride all the time -- can't wait for the next opportunity to put the top down and hit the road. If my Toyota commuter is a wife, the Z4 is definitely a mistress that will make other men jealous."

Dream Car

By on Friday, September 28, 2007

"I can't say enough about this sports car. I've owned mine for 3+ years and it still makes my heart race when I see it. It's "The ultimate driving machine". I highly recommend the 3.0. Drive them both and you will definitely feel the difference in power. I'd like to mention safety. I was t-boned on the driver side by someone going 45+ mph. The entire length of the car was smashed, but the interior (and myself) were untouched due to the steel safety bar around the car. Everyone who saw it, including the police, told me that any other 2-seater and I would have been crushed. Thank you BMW. I love my Z4!!"

Traded in Z3 for Z4. Well worth it.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. Whoever is driving it, looks good."

Cons: "Repairs pricey"

"Z4 is much more of competitive sports car...close to Boxer. Have had sports car since my first in 1968...a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, if anyone knows it. Much quieter than Z3 unless you had hardtop. engine has great sound, not loud but distinctive. Have small engine with 5 speed manual. Have never felt like needed more power. Felt like could shift one more time. I'd buy it again. Had to replace top motor, about $1,000 and a couple of cup holders. If you have to have anything done, start at $1,000. Original tires were good run flats. Next set was bad selection on my part. I then went to Michelin non-run flat . I seldom get to drive this except when wife & I are together. It is her everyday car. She is not looking at new Z4 because of lost cargo space it would have. She can get half of Costgo in that car."

Love this car..

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "Looks, quick response,good price, fun to drive"

Cons: "repair price, electronics."

"Was going to get a Vette and my wife talked me into a Z4...Best toy I've ever bought.Absolutely love driving this car. I have no regrets whatsoever for choosing the Z4 over a Vette."

Best value for you buck!

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "Oil change once a year!"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance but worth it!"

"I purchased my Z4 in 2003 and it has never broken down, it still drives like new and looks brand new. Well worth your money. Current mileage over 68,000."

mid-life crisis

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"Perfect car for a mid life crisis, runs great, turns heads, and goes like heck."

Fantastic fun and reliable performance car

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Just plain fun car to drive"

Cons: "None, I love it"

"This is my 5th BMW, all have been great cars. This one is my favorite. BMW made a winner here. Amazing performance but still docile in town. The torque range of the engine is wonderful, pull away in any gear with ease or drop down and leave the traffic behind. Handling is next to none and brakes that are out of this world. You can drive it as a lazy man or a wild man, it just comes back for more. I have owned the Porsche Boxster S as well, very good car as well, but I love the Z4M over it."

simply the best

By on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, great gas mileage"

Cons: "cup holders a little flimsy"

"have owned 19 cars in my life...nothing compares. truly is the ultimate driving machine. great handling, wonderful driving experience. great gas mileage, dependable. and when that top goes down...wow classic lines...a true black beauty!!"

Top-quality roadster

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great style"

Cons: "a little heavy and bit pricey to maintain"

"If you like the styling and the firm ride, this is a top-quality roadster that holds its own anywhere. About 23 MPG from the beefy engine, great handling, good trunk space--a highly civilized sports car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW Z4 near Honolulu. See local deals