• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2008 BMW X5

7.9

Based on 166 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Ultimate SUV, maybe RR 2014 will beat

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Best driving SUV , reliability medium vs Asian"

Cons: "Complex and good dealer and mtce support key"

"Have top of the range for 2008 4.8i + sports package - Still best styling in 2014 - Safe and solid for my wife, traction and brakes amazing. - Maybe Range Rover Sport 2014 can finally beat it but >$$ vs a 2014 BMW - Dealership quality very important as a complex beast and medium reliability in most surveys and its true. - Always buy extended warranty with a European expensive car just in case, parts and labor and alternatives are $$$ - No Japanese/US SUV I see comes close on driving experience but some report better relaibility - In the end I am looking for a Reliable gas effcient upgrade, but dont see any that will give me the pleasure of BMW overall. - If an SUV is an A to B 30mpg uber reliable investment, then get something Asian. If styling, performance, handling, safety, envy are in your vocab, then look at a BMWX5"

I love my X5! Safe, solid and fun!!

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive!!!!"

Cons: "Expensive to fix!!"

"Our X5 has been wonderful!! A few minor issues have popped up, but nothing too serious. My one small bit of advice to future owners is this: If your planning on buying an X5 out of warranty, spend the few bucks to have BMW do a pre-buy inspection. I almost purchased an X5 from a dealership that looked, sounded and seemed fault free. Upon inspection, we were looking at $23,000.00 in repairs to the engine! Someone had abused it. Anyhow, We found a new option, had it inspected and life is good. Also, Do not make the mistake of purchasing this SUV if you can't afford to maintain and fix it. They aren't cheap to fix!!! If you live in a metro area, do some research and check out a few reviews on foreign auto service/repair. If you can find a reasonable option for repairs, I'd say go for it!"

buyers beware!

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Reason: too many repairs

Pros: "enjoyable to drive"

Cons: "poor quality, terrible customer service"

"I owned the 2008 X5 model for 5 years, and enjoyed the 80K miles I drove, but there was also a lot of frustration. The last straw for me was when BMW customer service refused to do anything about the "banana-skin" effect which is apparently a common fault with the X5. The trim on the glove compartment door had peeled off in the corners and so the door wouldn't open any more. The national BMW customer service told me that it is a wear and tear problem and the manufacturer would not provide any solutions. I pointed out that it was clearly because of using glues unsuitable for the Southern California hot summers, but wasn't able to get anywhere. After years of dealing with high-pressure BMW service departments that were constantly trying to sell me extras, including all kinds of lubrication services not covered by the BMW maintenance, I could not take it any more and sold the car."

Great to Drive But Expesnive to Maintain

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "A great design and a great driver. Has presence."

Cons: "Expesnive to maintain and Repair"

"I love driving it. The steering feedback, roadfeel, responsiveness, etc. are just great; particularly for an SUV. I drove my son's 2010 520d (I am in Korea) and no comparison. Great build quality, etc....but Freude am Fahren was absent. Got back in my X5 and couldn't believe the difference. Yes, the 3 liter 6-cylinder is a bit weak for this heavy a vehicle but that was replaced with a turbo-charged version in later years. The drive train has been very reliable. The valve cover gasket has had a slow drip for over a year but I am now rebuilding the ignition system, which will include the spark plugs, coils and wires. Also will replace the enire valve cover, which includes new gaskets as well as the oil separator valve. Will also replace the 2 VANOS solenoids while we're in the area. There were also (typical) cooling system component replacments to include the inner radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc.. And will soon do a preemptive water pump replacement. Had to replace the iDrive controller, the HVAC blower assembly and right reat talilight assembly. I love it but you have to be ready to PAY to own it...i.e. tires are $1k a set, which I replaced every 25k. The new battery just cost me over $300. If you need/want an SUV but want one that is responsive with a great design then this is for you. But if you don't care about driving dynamics and the connection between car, road and driver, then there are competent comfortable and cheaper to own vehicles out there. What are your needs? P.S. the E70 series X5 was built from 2007 through the 2013 model years."

Best family car/Sexy beast I've ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Best driving SAV ever, smooth and powerful."

Cons: "Electronics are extensive and take time to learn."

"I bought the 2011 X5 3.5 new after my 2002 X5 was rear ended and totalled. This is such an amazing car and smooooooooth. It's not too big so it fits in the garage easily. The best part is driving it. It has power and is so smooth when it shifts. The electronics in this car continue to amaze and impress me although I will admit that it took a few months to get used to the system and figure all the stuff out. The BMW service has been pretty good and this car has been very reliable. Only one time we had to take it in for service to replace a failed sensor. We purchased the extended warranty whcih gives me a peace of mind. I worry about all the stuff that could go wrong with this even though there's been nothing so far. We are looking at replacing the tires soon and they are expensive."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for