• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2008 BMW X5

7.9

Based on 170 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Best and most fun vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Killer fun to drive; power and handling."

Cons: "Not the best mpg - averaged 9-19"

"I leased this car for three years, and it was so great, I purchased it from BMW. Great handling, power, such a sweet package. I've owed about 10 bmw (Three X-5s: 4.4,4.8 and the M), several MBs, and other high-end vehicles, and By far it has been my favorite car of my life."

best vehicle ever

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Practical. Fantastic mileage."

"Handles like a sports car. Go anywhere. Tows effortlessly. Fantastic mileage with Diesel (28-29MPG @70 Highway). All the comforts and conveniences of a great luxury vehicle."

Perfect condition, BMW X-5, 3.5 Arizona car

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Great Ride on the 101!"

"Perfect car growing family in the Valley of the Sun! Detailed frequently and exterior and interior in mint condition. Brand-new Bridgestone tires."

Good Solid Performance

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "excellent torque with the diesel"

"Although I have only driven a low amount of mileage, I can say that it is a solid feeling when driving this SUV. The weight of the vehicle, at around 6200lbs, gives it that quality feeling of power. It accelerates well and you feel the torque pulling you towards the seat. During this past snowstorms, I drove with no problems over snow. In general, a good investment for the value."

2012 X5 M - SUV thinks its a sports car

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Nimble handling, ridiculous power, practicality"

Cons: "Price, mpg, tires, tech gremlins"

"This vehicle shouldn't exist. 555 hp/ 500 ft lb torque in an SUV that weighs over 5000 lbs? Shouldn't work but it does. The handling is most impressive considering it's mass and the way it hides it. Feels like a 3-series and all this in a ride that has a relatively practical storage/seating space. My complaints on the X5 M are few but worth contemplating before you drop a grip on this vehicle. First, no all-weather/snow tires are available by BMW for this SUV despite being told otherwise by the salesman, the service advisor, & a parts tech. Their explanation: this SUV wasn't designed to deal with weather which seems like b.s. to me for not having an option for a slightly more practical tire. Second, power comes at a price both at purchase and at the pump. This is to be expected when buying a car/SUV that is so completely ridiculous. It still hurts... buying a company executive demo with only 4200 miles, totally loaded, saved us @ $20 grand. We put the savings towards the gas pump. This thing is thirsty! Third, there are a few tech gremlins. With so much technology in cars these days, it's kinda overwhelming. You can't defeat the parking assistance (which gets really annoying 'cuz it reboots every time you turn off the car). The stereo presets and info. settings are configurable which is really cool but they randomly reset themselves from time to time. Lastly, the software for the triptronic clutch needs to be upgraded (which I believe the '14 models have a new transmission). There's a slight lag upon the initial depression of the accelerator in auto-mode. Most likely a fuel saving measure for the 6-speed but kinda sloppy for a vehicle in this category and becomes increasingly more noticeable and therefore, more annoying. Sport modes are great as is driving in "manual" mode using the paddles. All in all, this ride is amazing! Just be sure to talk to someone who's knowledgeable about the M-series at the dealership. It's rather incredible how difficult it may be to find that person for a vehicle that is so specialized."

Love the X5

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "A hoot to drive, heavy and no floating"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires wear quickly in the front"

"This is my second X5. I had a 2000 4.4 w/sports package and the works for that year. I kept it for 8 years before I let it go. It handles like a champ, but what I like most about the car is the way it feels on the road. It does not feel like you are floating or get blown over when a heavier vehicle passes you. It is solid and we feel safe driving it."

Love the x5! Beautiful driving machine!

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive. Safe. Classic. Worth the money"

"This is my 3rd x5. I love this vehicle. Acceleration is amazing. The drive is beautiful and actually I look forward to long road trips ! I feel extremely safe in this SUV. The navigation can be a chAllenge initially yet is a must! I would recommend this vehicle without reservation ! I have driven all over florida for sports with many kids in tow and everyone felt safe and sound."

Worst car I have ever owned. Over $4K in repairs

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "Nice tight sporty drive"

Cons: "2 many 2 costly repairs"

"in only 5 months."

A well designed, comfortable vehicle

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

Pros: "Very solid, a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "Transmission shifting: hangs lower gear too long."

"A very solid, well designed SUV. The Diesel engine, with its high torque is an excellent selection; it starts easily and pulls well - no problem accelerating to highway speeds. The electronic control of the transmission does not always react as expected - tends to hold a lower gear too long after you reach the top of a hill. The dealer informed me that this was programmed into the vehicle and they could not adjust it. Excellent quality and workmanship on the interior. Power seats, with lumbar support, are excellent; easy to adjust to a comfortable position."

Great Car! Looks great, rides wonderfully.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Great Car"

Cons: "BMWs cost a bit more toe repair."

"This is a blast to own. My wife wants an Acura, so that's why I am selling. This car makes me feel safe on the craziest freeways in CA."

Sporty! Definite upgrade from the mini-van

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Great handling - super sporty look and feel"

Cons: "NONE"

"Enjoy this sporty drive and makes our frequent long trips so much more enjoyable! I feel alive driving this - which was overdue as the mini-van - although reliable as well - was just getting so boring and for holding toys for kids. So nice to have an option that is kid friendly as well as the adult appeal in the looks and driving areas!"

great ride

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

"doesn't take a back seat to anything on the highway or driveway"

Great Vehicle. Had a few issues

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Good mileage for a heavy SUV. Very good power."

Cons: "GPS sub-par"

"Had a few recall issues related to the diesel engine components which were fixed by the dealer. No other issues. Vehicle has a pleasant ride and has a sport ride setting which I prefer. The GPS system is sub-par and the updates are also sub-par. I understand the GPS has improved in the 2013 & 2014 models. I have experienced the following mileage: 20-22 city, 28-32 Highway."

Best engineered automobile I've owned

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Excellent engineering,except for the "I" Drive"

Cons: "With the engineering,Why the I Drive"

"I had 13 New Cadilliacs, yet after I drove a BMW, you are in a different world. Being an engineer and having owned a manufacturing co.for forty yrs. I am completely aware of what goes into research and development of a product. I always purchased American,since I was an American Manufacturer. That was. Mistake! The ideas and engineering that goes into the development of BMW is top of the line! Their biggest problem,that I see, is that the Dealers try to skimp on service. Without service what have you got? ( an American car!)"

Ultimate SUV, maybe RR 2014 will beat

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Best driving SUV , reliability medium vs Asian"

Cons: "Complex and good dealer and mtce support key"

"Have top of the range for 2008 4.8i + sports package - Still best styling in 2014 - Safe and solid for my wife, traction and brakes amazing. - Maybe Range Rover Sport 2014 can finally beat it but >$$ vs a 2014 BMW - Dealership quality very important as a complex beast and medium reliability in most surveys and its true. - Always buy extended warranty with a European expensive car just in case, parts and labor and alternatives are $$$ - No Japanese/US SUV I see comes close on driving experience but some report better relaibility - In the end I am looking for a Reliable gas effcient upgrade, but dont see any that will give me the pleasure of BMW overall. - If an SUV is an A to B 30mpg uber reliable investment, then get something Asian. If styling, performance, handling, safety, envy are in your vocab, then look at a BMWX5"

I love my X5! Safe, solid and fun!!

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive!!!!"

Cons: "Expensive to fix!!"

"Our X5 has been wonderful!! A few minor issues have popped up, but nothing too serious. My one small bit of advice to future owners is this: If your planning on buying an X5 out of warranty, spend the few bucks to have BMW do a pre-buy inspection. I almost purchased an X5 from a dealership that looked, sounded and seemed fault free. Upon inspection, we were looking at $23,000.00 in repairs to the engine! Someone had abused it. Anyhow, We found a new option, had it inspected and life is good. Also, Do not make the mistake of purchasing this SUV if you can't afford to maintain and fix it. They aren't cheap to fix!!! If you live in a metro area, do some research and check out a few reviews on foreign auto service/repair. If you can find a reasonable option for repairs, I'd say go for it!"

buyers beware!

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Reason: too many repairs

Pros: "enjoyable to drive"

Cons: "poor quality, terrible customer service"

"I owned the 2008 X5 model for 5 years, and enjoyed the 80K miles I drove, but there was also a lot of frustration. The last straw for me was when BMW customer service refused to do anything about the "banana-skin" effect which is apparently a common fault with the X5. The trim on the glove compartment door had peeled off in the corners and so the door wouldn't open any more. The national BMW customer service told me that it is a wear and tear problem and the manufacturer would not provide any solutions. I pointed out that it was clearly because of using glues unsuitable for the Southern California hot summers, but wasn't able to get anywhere. After years of dealing with high-pressure BMW service departments that were constantly trying to sell me extras, including all kinds of lubrication services not covered by the BMW maintenance, I could not take it any more and sold the car."

Great to Drive But Expesnive to Maintain

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "A great design and a great driver. Has presence."

Cons: "Expesnive to maintain and Repair"

"I love driving it. The steering feedback, roadfeel, responsiveness, etc. are just great; particularly for an SUV. I drove my son's 2010 520d (I am in Korea) and no comparison. Great build quality, etc....but Freude am Fahren was absent. Got back in my X5 and couldn't believe the difference. Yes, the 3 liter 6-cylinder is a bit weak for this heavy a vehicle but that was replaced with a turbo-charged version in later years. The drive train has been very reliable. The valve cover gasket has had a slow drip for over a year but I am now rebuilding the ignition system, which will include the spark plugs, coils and wires. Also will replace the enire valve cover, which includes new gaskets as well as the oil separator valve. Will also replace the 2 VANOS solenoids while we're in the area. There were also (typical) cooling system component replacments to include the inner radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc.. And will soon do a preemptive water pump replacement. Had to replace the iDrive controller, the HVAC blower assembly and right reat talilight assembly. I love it but you have to be ready to PAY to own it...i.e. tires are $1k a set, which I replaced every 25k. The new battery just cost me over $300. If you need/want an SUV but want one that is responsive with a great design then this is for you. But if you don't care about driving dynamics and the connection between car, road and driver, then there are competent comfortable and cheaper to own vehicles out there. What are your needs? P.S. the E70 series X5 was built from 2007 through the 2013 model years."

Best family car/Sexy beast I've ever owned.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Best driving SAV ever, smooth and powerful."

Cons: "Electronics are extensive and take time to learn."

"I bought the 2011 X5 3.5 new after my 2002 X5 was rear ended and totalled. This is such an amazing car and smooooooooth. It's not too big so it fits in the garage easily. The best part is driving it. It has power and is so smooth when it shifts. The electronics in this car continue to amaze and impress me although I will admit that it took a few months to get used to the system and figure all the stuff out. The BMW service has been pretty good and this car has been very reliable. Only one time we had to take it in for service to replace a failed sensor. We purchased the extended warranty whcih gives me a peace of mind. I worry about all the stuff that could go wrong with this even though there's been nothing so far. We are looking at replacing the tires soon and they are expensive."

I won't drive any other vehicle

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "expensive packages"

"Reviewers' concerns about turbo lag are unfounded. The delay is because BMW designed automatic transmission to start in 2nd gear to improve fuel economy. If you want to rocket forward and gulp a cup of gas, start in 1st gear. Its a blast!!"

Great SAV

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

"I own the 2013 X535i premium. First BMW and first SUV, and I am very impressed with the handling and driving dynamics. The exterior looks great (best looking SUV in my opinion, even better than the 2014 version). The interior only looks OK, but you buy a BMW mainly for the driving dynamics. Also test drove an Audi Q7 and the BMW is far superior in that aspect. Drove on winding road in the mountains and the car makes me feel very confident and in control. Feels very sporty and fun to drive. Some reviewers mentioned lag in acceleration. That is not due to turbo lag. The twin-turbo engine has very little if any lag. The hesitation is due to the 8 speed transmission starting from gear 2, and the transmission learns your driving habit. You just need to train the car to get used to your driving style. Technology wise the HUD and top view cameras are very convenient. For fuel efficiency I get 19.6 MPG and I am happy with it considering I have to go through highway traffic in the morning. It delivered what it promised and some. Can't comment on the reliability because I only have 7k miles on it. So far no problem at all. A few minor things: The standard seats aren't the most comfortable. I would get the comfort seats if I do it all over again. The navigation software is not very intuitive. BMW needs to outsource the software to a real software company, such as Google, and focus on the mechanics. All in all great vehicle and a worthy purchase, even if I don't use half of its space most of the time. Plan to keep it long term."

In the shop more than on the road

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "The seats are comfortable"

Cons: "Everything else"

"I have had more trouble with this car and BMW customer service. I detailed my experience and sent it to other car manufacturers as a "what not to do". I will say the car is the most comfortable lawn ornament I have ever had. We had catalytic converter issues and were told by BMW that "we should have for-seen this and purchased the extended warranty." I bought a BMW so I would not be nickeled and dimed to death, it turned out I was thousands and five thousands to death. When it runs it is comfortable, but every sensor is expensive and the computer issues, well I have lost count. A very unreliable but pretty car. I have been stranded 5 times in as many years with the car. Costly repairs: air bladder in the rear suspension, stepper motor in ac system, brake sensors, catalytic converter, rear camera defect, driver stability control sensor, two rear axles - yes not just one but two and transmission work. All within the first 5 years."

One of the best all around vehicles on the road!

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, luxurious interior, sporty, powerful engine"

Cons: "I can't think of anything."

"I bought the first generation X5 for my wife and other than the alternator, no other repairs were necessary from 2003-2009 when I traded it with 93K miles on it. The only complaint we had back then was that there was no diesel offered for the American market. The decision to get another X5 was pretty easy, especially with a diesel now available. We purchased the 2012 X5 Xdrive 35d with just about every option and simply can't imagine a better vehicle. My wife and kids love it as much as I do if not more and they're not car folks like me. Fuel economy is usually the major issue with SUVs, but with the diesel there's really nothing negative to speak of. We got the Sport Activity package which adds the little running boards (which aren't really functional in the traditional sense) and the massive 20" tires with 315s in the rear and the combination makes the X5 look awesome, and handle better than many performance cars. The X5 is not too big or too small, it's just right. I have 2010 F150 supercrew and I love it, but I usually use the X5 to haul things simply because its easy to maneuver in any traffic situation and with the rear seats folded it has about the same capacity as the bed of my pickup. I'm not the off road type so that particular aspect of this vehicle or any vehicle for that matter makes no difference to me, but again it's difficult to imagine a better all around vehicle than the X5."

Love it!

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "engine, comfort, style"

Cons: "navigation system is cumbersome at times"

"We opted for the diesel engine and couldn't be happier. The torque and power are superb, the ride comfort is great, and we're very happy with the features that were included in the premium package."

2013 BMW X5 - Nice Luxury SUV

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Exterior design, performance, and technology"

Cons: "Cost, summer tires"

"I can't speak to the reliability of the car as I've only driven it 500 miles. I've had no off the assembly line issues with the car. I drive the 2013 X5 with the sports package, sport performance package, convenience package, technology package, etc.. This is my first BMW. I owned an Acura MDX, which I loved, and wanted to try something different and a little more upscale. I agree with at least one poster that the lag in acceleration is there. It's called turbo lag and there is no fix for it to be found at the dealer. It's an engine design issue. But if you do your research you would have known about this minor issue before you bought the car. They talk about the technology they are implementing to address it in the marketing material. Regardless, it is typical for cars with turbo engines, although some manufacturers do better to limit it than others. Notiwthstanding that minor issue, the car looks great, rides beautifully, is much sportier than the Acura, and the interior is impeccable. The features are more than you can ask for. The Acura was a nice car, the BMW is a step up. Yes, waiting for the twin turbos to kick in can be annoying if you're in a drag race, but it has no practical effect on normal driving. Acceleration is NO problem. At this point I'd recommend this SAV, as BMW puts it. Reliability is something that I'll be watching for, but so far so good."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals