2006 BMW X5

Based on 394 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

2002 X5 3.0

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"No doubt about it, this is the best vehicle I have owned in 36 years of driving. Purchased off eBay with 53k miles, I have added 40k miles in the last year with few problems. Only unexpected expense was a blower relay for the AC. Fuel mileage is amazing: 19.7 mpg in town and up to 25.6 mpg on the highway, even running 70 mph. Performance is more than acceptable from the 3.0 six cylinder. Towing our Waverunner is an easy task, and reduces fuel mileage about 10%. Very quiet as well, with almost no windnoise. The handling and ride are just the right balance between comfort and control. Mine does not have the sport package, and from what I have read and heard, the sport package can make the X5 uncomfortably hard riding for some people. But I am extremely pleased with the base suspension setup, and will go from the stock 235/65R17 tires to a set of 255/60R17 on the next replacement to enhance the cornering just a bit. New ones are a bit pricey, but they do hold their value very well. And you can't beat the free service under the warranty - but mine of course was used with an expired warranty - so how has it been? I have had to replace the brake pads and rotors (went with ceramic pads - dust free!), but that is normal at 60k miles. I also had to replace the front axles because the previous owner didn't catch the cracked CV joint boots. Keep an eye on those things. The repair bill was $1100, but I don't think that was the fault of the vehicle. I change the oil and filter every ten thousand miles (synthetic of course), even though the indicator looks like it would go about fourteen thousand. Surprisingly, the dealer only charges $80 for that service, and they alway do a quick check for any leaks, and inspect the belts and hoses, as well as top off the windshield cleaner and wash the vehicle. There are two minor convenience items: sometimes the automatic climate control is a little slow to kick the fan speed back up when you're sitting in the sun, and I can't get rid of a slow speed rattle from the left side of the liftgate. The dealer knows about the rattle problem and the 2007 liftgate design has eliminated that one. Overall, I am sure I will drive the wheels off this thing, on my way to another in the future!"

2001 X5 4.4

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I purchased this X5 4.4 at a dealer in New Jersey in 2001. I traded in my Range Rover. After switching to the sportier X5 I was a happy camper, the design is great, and the power and handling was something I really missed. But as soon as I hit 52k miles warranty expires at 50k my X5 started falling apart on me, I stalled out on the turnpike service engine light went on the night before I called in for an emergency to bring the car into the dealer the next morning which is 12 miles from my home at about 6miles the car just died on me. Good thing BMW has excellent service, they sent out a flat bed truck to pick me up and towed me to the dealership. I had the truck repaired and paid over $2000 picked the car up after 3 days they gave a nice bmw loaner until then. I Leave the dealership drove 2 miles engine light goes back on. They never where able to figure out why that light goes on but they charged me for some sort of repair. After that I started having coolant problems, low coolant they replaced the coolant system twice and still the light would go on. A company stands by its warranty! Next time I leasing not worth all the headaces"

It's a True Ultimate Driving machine.

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Everything..."

Cons: "Nothing that I know..."

X5

"Bought this car used with 80,000 miles on it. Right now I have 94000 miles on it. It was a lemon Law buy back... But trust me the dealer took care of that issue, before I bought it. Never had any major issues, normal wear and tear. Great ride, very quiet interior, super fast, love the way it handles. I worked at many different dealerships and I have seen brand new cars have problem... So it just a luck. This is my second BMW, I had a 1999 740i, drove that till 175000 miles. Never had Any problems. I strongly recommend this awesome driving machine."

X5

Fun, comfort, style, safe, wonderful in winter

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

"Great: very comfortable ride and seats, very quick, handles wonderfully (car like, despite being a SUV), can traverse icy and snowy roads like no other car I have ever drove, very safe with Boron steel cage and BMW attention to detail in this arena, level of fitment and finish is great, use of technological advancements to extract loads of power with a V8 all wheel drive attaining 20-21mpg on the open road, despite being 8 years old does not look dated, off road ability is very good (not its strongest area though), lots of storage pockets and cup holders. Need to be aware of: It's a German car, not Asian, it does require ongoing maintenance, it is all wheel drive, there are more things to require this maintenance, BMW lies and says no service is required for the transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials, coolant... many early failures in these areas are due to lack of maintance. When a failure does occur, expect outrageous prices from the dealer, use an independent shop, The Panoramic roof always fails, just expect it, there is a modification on line if you want to continue to use it, it is a V8, it will use more gas than a CRV..."

BEST vehicle ever!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Handsome, Fun to drive, Excellent value"

Cons: "Low resale value, high maintenance costs"

"I have owned many cars over the last several years including a very nice BMW E30 M3 and an Alpina, yet this one is my absolute favorite. To be honest, I could not afford this car when it was new ($68k sticker), so I had to wait to buy this one second hand. This X5 4.6is looks like a beast and it is. The vehicle has slight aerodynamic styling cues, larger wheels, larger brakes, sport seats and more horsepower (340hp) over a standard X5 4.4i (290hp). My car also has the factory Navigation upgrade. It looks and feels different in a way that suggests power and class. My X5 was purchased from the original owner who clocked over 100k miles on this car. It came to me in good overall condition, but I immediately spent $2000 in new gaskets, seals and other preventative maintenance. Overall, I have far more invested in this vehicle than KBB says it it worth, but I have a piece of mind in knowing that it is well cared for. Dispite higher than average maintenance costs, what other vehicle in this price range ($10-$15k) offers as much much power, class and ammenities without looking dated? I agree that this car is not for everyone. There is a cost associated in properly maintaining a european sport/luxury vehicle, but far less expensive than buying a new one. This may not be a $70k vehicle anymore, but it still looks and feels like one to me; I absolutely love it."

Fun to drive but a hungry dinosaur at the pump

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Horrible MPG"

"Bought mine back 2007 and still owns it to this very day. Like what most owners already said, it is a fun car to drive. Great as a family vehicle, and ample space for 5. Main downside, is its MPG. I used commute in the city everyday and it gulps a lot of premium gas. In addition, engine won't warm up enough when driving just a few miles and can or will eventually cause engine gunk leading to failure or problems. Really BMW? I'm causing more problems by driving my car less? Maintenance wise, it can get vey pricey if you rely on the stealership. Utilize the power of the internet to find good deals on oem parts(thanks amazon) as well as an Indy mechanic you can trust. In the end, owning an E53 X5 does not have to be costly. Just do your homework and understand what you are getting yourself into even before considering of owning one. Best of luck!"

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Drives like a sports car even in the wet."

Cons: "Pricey to fix when out of warranty."

"I bought this car when it was three years old as a certified pre-owned from a dealer. It had 47,000 miles on it. Once it was past the 100k warranty period, I've had very few repairs. The transfer case needed to be replaced at 204k. That was the most major repair. After putting 250k miles on the car in the last 7 years, I will definitely buy another X5 but not until this one is dead. It's been a dream to drive. I've owned about 25 cars in the last 43 years. This is definitely the best."

I love my BMW X5!

By on Monday, May 21, 2012

Pros: "Wonderful ride, spacious, love the panorama roof."

"I bought mine used and it has been a great car. Never a problem, good gas mileage - 19mpg. I have over 129,000 and keep the oil changed and love it. I like it better than other SUV's that I have owned in the past."

Best buy

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "great driver"

"I have owned several newer model X5's. Sold them all- kept the 2002 year model. Almost 200K miles later, car looks and drives great. Usual maintenance done over the years but worth every penny."

Green Machine for everything!

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, awd, luxury, power rear seats!"

Cons: "expencive to buy"

"First time I bought a BMW. I own for the past 25 years around 35 cars! This BMW handles everything very well. The straight six (225hp) is wonderful if you considered this SUV weights in almost 2.5 tons! Recent trip to Savannah saw 24.76 mpg at 75-80 and fully loaded (4passengers and stuff). Very comfortable and smooth ride with the std tires. No mechanical issues so far. I only had to change the terrible factory radio with an aftermarket witch rocks! If you keep up with the recommended BMW maintenance you want have any issues."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals