• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2004 BMW X5

Based on 387 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

A very safe and interesting vehicle

By on Saturday, August 30, 2014

"Very reliable, safe fun vehicle in all climates in all conditions"

I LOVE THIS SUV!!

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, very comfortable, lots of features"

Cons: "A bit costly, repairs are expensive"

"This has been my favorite car, and I've owned a few. I've had Lincoln Navigators, Towncars, Ford Explorers, Expeditions and an Excursion, and overall, this is the most comfortable car by far. Cold weather package has heated seats all the way around, adjustable rear seats, and a GREAT suspension. Drives like a race car with tight turning radius! With almost 167K miles, it is starting to need a little attention to some things like lights, etc. but I'll keep it a while longer. I bought it brand new in 2005 for $55K (which is a huge investment) but it has been worth it."

Love the car

By on Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, lots of room, great in the snow."

Cons: "Expensive to repair, but worth it."

"We weren't sure if we were going to sell it or keep it. After taking it to the mechanic for an inspection we've decided to invest a few dollars in routine maintenance and keep it. He assured us the car is in great shape and there should be no problem getting another 100000 if we keep up the maintenance. He said the 4.6 engine is one of the best."

wanted a subaru forester

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Beautiful but I wanted sub Forester

"It was so much luxury I just bought it but I wanted a Subaru forester and I still do."

Beautiful but I wanted sub Forester

One of the best cars I have owned.

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and lots of power, very classy"

Cons: "expensive to maintain"

"this is an awesome vehicle, very safe has all the bells and whistles sporty but luxurious at the same time."

Best

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

"Truck is very expensive to fix i can not complaint i love it . That my baby"

Excellent high quality luxury performance vehicle

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Very comfortable, great perfomance, fun to drive"

Cons: "Leather seats very slippery, nothing else"

"I love this SUV and I've owned 2 Nissan Pathfinders and 3 Ford Explorers. I have discovered one mechanical issue other buyers should be aware of. Its called "Transmission Failsafe Program" and (after Google research) is an automated program that kicks in when the voltage to the transmission varies outside of optimal range. Can be caused by electrical problems, frayed cables in the steering column, bad alternator, etc. In my case it happens when I accelerate very hard and the transmission has to shift during the hard acceleration. The program will lock the transmission in 3rd gear and only shutting off the car completely will reset the program to normal operation. Reports about the cause due to electrical problems apart from the transmission have caused owners considerable and expensive problems. Otherwise VERY pleased with this vehicle."

AAA +++

"AAA +++"

AAA +++

"AAA +++"

This truck has it all

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Excellent!"

Cons: "None!"

"No need to explain anything. It’s self explanatory what BMWs are all about. German manufactured cars are always reliable, robust and made of great quality parts. I just love this truck. The gas mileage gets me about 470miles with full tank (21Gals). It’s just awesome... Strong engine, and awesome quality features on the truck. Value of the car keeps steady, and that’s good."

nice car

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun to drive. Great gas mileage!"

Cons: "no mp3 or retractable mirrors"

"nice car, runs well, serviced regularly, all service records available and up to date."

Fun to drive but a hungry dinosaur at the pump

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Horrible MPG"

"Bought mine back 2007 and still owns it to this very day. Like what most owners already said, it is a fun car to drive. Great as a family vehicle, and ample space for 5. Main downside, is its MPG. I used commute in the city everyday and it gulps a lot of premium gas. In addition, engine won't warm up enough when driving just a few miles and can or will eventually cause engine gunk leading to failure or problems. Really BMW? I'm causing more problems by driving my car less? Maintenance wise, it can get vey pricey if you rely on the stealership. Utilize the power of the internet to find good deals on oem parts(thanks amazon) as well as an Indy mechanic you can trust. In the end, owning an E53 X5 does not have to be costly. Just do your homework and understand what you are getting yourself into even before considering of owning one. Best of luck!"

Excellent vehicle looking to purchase same model

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Value for the price"

"Excellent vehicle looking to purchase same model newer year"

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Great for family"

Cons: "Motor issues"

"This is the first BMW I have owned. I love it, but, at around 100,000 miles the valve stem seals went bad, smoked when idling for a few min. Had it diagnosed at a certified BMW mechanic, will cost around $6,000 to fix minimum. That is granted nothing else "breaks" when tearing the motor down. I will not pay to have it fixed, the dealer I purchased from did not and will not give me the title, nor did he pay his loan off so his lender wants the car. Sorry for the next owner, very nice car, would love to keep, just can't take the 6 grand to fix!"

Very costly vehicle to own!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable interior and ride."

Cons: "It costs too much to keepup."

"We have owned this vehicle for a couple years now and have had way too many things go wrong with it (and a great expense). The X5 had only 62K miles when we bought it (now 85K). Since its purchase, we have had to replace the water pump, the serpentine belt, the driver’s heated seat, both rear window regulators, the driver’s window regulator. As well (and as mentioned by others) the rear brake lights keep going in and out. And that’s not normal repair items such as brakes, tires, etc. We thought we knew what it was like to own a European vehicle (repair cost wise) because we’ve owned others (non-BMW’s) in the past. However, we never expected to have to shell out so much money on an ongoing basis just to keep the X5 drivable. I honestly think part of the problem is the X5 is made only for the North American market. What I think the BMW engineers did was take everything they’d put in their cars and put into a full-size SUV. The issue is the weight, wear-and-tear, use, etc. of an SUV is much different than a smaller car—the BMW “car parts” just don’t hold up to the “SUV demands”. Furthermore, BMW has known this for some time, but refuses to do anything about it. If you are looking to buy this vehicle, be aware, you most likely will need an extra $1500-$2000 per year in “spare cash” to keep your X5 working properly."

Very Satisfied

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. Feel very secure. Very responsive."

Cons: "Gas. It's 14/22, so yeah..."

"I own this great vehicle for little over 2 years. I am very happy with it. I have put over 30k miles on it. Maintenance wise what I have done was changed front two bushings. Each cost me $350 so total I have spent $700 over the years. Other than that I had NO ISSUES with my vehicle. This is my primary vehicle and I drive a lot in the city. This car is all wheel drive, and it drives like a car. Very strong, very responsive and interior is very quite. Has beautiful Panaromic Moonroof and great factory sound system. Oh one more thing, You only do One time oil change on these vehicle a year. Every two years you have to Inspection service. Oil change will cost you $120, and I think it's good price for a year. It's great ultimate driving machine."

Great to drive but can be expensive to own.

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive on the winding roads here in E.TN"

Cons: "Gas mileage and constant repairs"

"This was my first BMW and I fell in love with it after the first test drive.Purchased it in 04 with 32k miles. Now have 120k miles.Since the 50k warranty ran out it has had numerous small issues which drive me crazy. Examples are ; driver side door handle broke twice,passenger door handle broke once,windows went down and would not return to close position five times, display panel went blank and had to be replaced. Brake lights have been an ongoing issue since 2005.You get the picture. I now budget $1,000 annually in repairs and will continue to drive this car as long as possible as I do love to drive it!"

Great driving machine and so good to look at

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "Great drive - perfect size - beautiful & reliable"

Cons: "Can be a little expensive to maintain, but worth"

"I have loved this car since the day I bought her new. Nothing drives like a BMW - she hugs the road and the steering has no slop in it. I have tried others but there is nothing like a BMW. This 2002 has features that some of the newest cars do not. Automatically opening all the windows from the key fob as you approach the car on a hot day is such a simple and yet practical feature. Everything is made to meticulous standards. I recently drove a brand new X3 and decided to stick with my 02 X5 because it feels better to me. You can't go wrong with this car. My brother has one with 50,000 more miles than mine and still loves it."

Only for those serious about an E53

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing looks (classic styling)"

Cons: "Service, maintenance"

"Maintain, maintain, maintain. The E53 is awesome, I still smile every time I see mine. It's expensive when things break, which they will. Only buy this car if you want to pay to maintain it (i.e., visits to the dealer or indy 2-3 times a year). After 5+ years of owning it, I can't imagine selling it, this car has personality."

Sure, fun drive...while driveable!

By on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, beautiful"

Cons: "Consistent repairs at only 108,000 miles"

"Bought the BMW X5, read great things about it before I decided to buy used. I can blame previous owner for issues, however I partly blame the car. Sure it is fun to drive, in between repairs that is. Have had issues consistently with this car. I expected more from BMW. Transmission is failing, went on one road trip and almost didn't make it home. Now am facing about an $8,000 repair from BMW after a month of purchasing at less than 108,000 miles. Super Bummed!"

Best buy

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "great driver"

"I have owned several newer model X5's. Sold them all- kept the 2002 year model. Almost 200K miles later, car looks and drives great. Usual maintenance done over the years but worth every penny."

Best SUV

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "Fantastic drive, excellent reliability"

"Into Year 7, this SUV is amazing. 128,000 miles and going strong. Sure, it has had some minor repairs, like worn belts, leaky oil pan and seatbelts that dont snap back, but the engine, transmission and starter have been fantastic. Still cranks on first turn every time, hot or cold. Shop mechanics at BMW Darien say the 06 is bulletproof...they say later models have more issues. Not gonna sell this oldie but goodie for a while. Recently had 4 different BMW x5s in driveway, since we recommend to all our friends."

Fun, comfort, style, safe, wonderful in winter

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

"Great: very comfortable ride and seats, very quick, handles wonderfully (car like, despite being a SUV), can traverse icy and snowy roads like no other car I have ever drove, very safe with Boron steel cage and BMW attention to detail in this arena, level of fitment and finish is great, use of technological advancements to extract loads of power with a V8 all wheel drive attaining 20-21mpg on the open road, despite being 8 years old does not look dated, off road ability is very good (not its strongest area though), lots of storage pockets and cup holders. Need to be aware of: It's a German car, not Asian, it does require ongoing maintenance, it is all wheel drive, there are more things to require this maintenance, BMW lies and says no service is required for the transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials, coolant... many early failures in these areas are due to lack of maintance. When a failure does occur, expect outrageous prices from the dealer, use an independent shop, The Panoramic roof always fails, just expect it, there is a modification on line if you want to continue to use it, it is a V8, it will use more gas than a CRV..."

Lemon

By on Monday, February 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, sportive, solid feeling, holds road"

Cons: "reliability of engine, cost of repairs"

"way too many things went wrong. Would get one thing fixed just in time to have another fail. hoped to sell when things started to fail, now $8000 later feel stuck with it."

Great Driving and Performance When it Works -

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Reason: Too Many Problems

Pros: "Great Driving - Very Good Driving Performance"

Cons: "Too Many Problems - Expensive to fix/Maintain"

"I have owned this car for 4 Years and about 63,000 Miles. When the car does work; it runs great, very good handling - it lives up to the ultimate driving machine. However, other than wear and tear there is always something wrong with it - I had constant engine problems, sun roof does not work, had to replace front door locks, leaking antifreeze, slanted back tires, navigation quality gets wores with age (refuse to come on below 40 deg), excess moisture in oil and the list goes on. These cars are very expensive to own out of warranty. Please consider all options before buying one of these cars especially if you do not have mechanic friends OR a lot of money to spend on repairs."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals