• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2002 BMW X5

Based on 383 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Very costly vehicle to own!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable interior and ride."

Cons: "It costs too much to keepup."

"We have owned this vehicle for a couple years now and have had way too many things go wrong with it (and a great expense). The X5 had only 62K miles when we bought it (now 85K). Since its purchase, we have had to replace the water pump, the serpentine belt, the driver’s heated seat, both rear window regulators, the driver’s window regulator. As well (and as mentioned by others) the rear brake lights keep going in and out. And that’s not normal repair items such as brakes, tires, etc. We thought we knew what it was like to own a European vehicle (repair cost wise) because we’ve owned others (non-BMW’s) in the past. However, we never expected to have to shell out so much money on an ongoing basis just to keep the X5 drivable. I honestly think part of the problem is the X5 is made only for the North American market. What I think the BMW engineers did was take everything they’d put in their cars and put into a full-size SUV. The issue is the weight, wear-and-tear, use, etc. of an SUV is much different than a smaller car—the BMW “car parts” just don’t hold up to the “SUV demands”. Furthermore, BMW has known this for some time, but refuses to do anything about it. If you are looking to buy this vehicle, be aware, you most likely will need an extra $1500-$2000 per year in “spare cash” to keep your X5 working properly."

Very Satisfied

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. Feel very secure. Very responsive."

Cons: "Gas. It's 14/22, so yeah..."

"I own this great vehicle for little over 2 years. I am very happy with it. I have put over 30k miles on it. Maintenance wise what I have done was changed front two bushings. Each cost me $350 so total I have spent $700 over the years. Other than that I had NO ISSUES with my vehicle. This is my primary vehicle and I drive a lot in the city. This car is all wheel drive, and it drives like a car. Very strong, very responsive and interior is very quite. Has beautiful Panaromic Moonroof and great factory sound system. Oh one more thing, You only do One time oil change on these vehicle a year. Every two years you have to Inspection service. Oil change will cost you $120, and I think it's good price for a year. It's great ultimate driving machine."

Great to drive but can be expensive to own.

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive on the winding roads here in E.TN"

Cons: "Gas mileage and constant repairs"

"This was my first BMW and I fell in love with it after the first test drive.Purchased it in 04 with 32k miles. Now have 120k miles.Since the 50k warranty ran out it has had numerous small issues which drive me crazy. Examples are ; driver side door handle broke twice,passenger door handle broke once,windows went down and would not return to close position five times, display panel went blank and had to be replaced. Brake lights have been an ongoing issue since 2005.You get the picture. I now budget $1,000 annually in repairs and will continue to drive this car as long as possible as I do love to drive it!"

Great driving machine and so good to look at

By on Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Pros: "Great drive - perfect size - beautiful & reliable"

Cons: "Can be a little expensive to maintain, but worth"

"I have loved this car since the day I bought her new. Nothing drives like a BMW - she hugs the road and the steering has no slop in it. I have tried others but there is nothing like a BMW. This 2002 has features that some of the newest cars do not. Automatically opening all the windows from the key fob as you approach the car on a hot day is such a simple and yet practical feature. Everything is made to meticulous standards. I recently drove a brand new X3 and decided to stick with my 02 X5 because it feels better to me. You can't go wrong with this car. My brother has one with 50,000 more miles than mine and still loves it."

Only for those serious about an E53

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, amazing looks (classic styling)"

Cons: "Service, maintenance"

"Maintain, maintain, maintain. The E53 is awesome, I still smile every time I see mine. It's expensive when things break, which they will. Only buy this car if you want to pay to maintain it (i.e., visits to the dealer or indy 2-3 times a year). After 5+ years of owning it, I can't imagine selling it, this car has personality."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for