• 2014 Compact SUVs

2002 BMW X5

Based on 381 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Fun to drive but a hungry dinosaur at the pump

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Horrible MPG"

"Bought mine back 2007 and still owns it to this very day. Like what most owners already said, it is a fun car to drive. Great as a family vehicle, and ample space for 5. Main downside, is its MPG. I used commute in the city everyday and it gulps a lot of premium gas. In addition, engine won't warm up enough when driving just a few miles and can or will eventually cause engine gunk leading to failure or problems. Really BMW? I'm causing more problems by driving my car less? Maintenance wise, it can get vey pricey if you rely on the stealership. Utilize the power of the internet to find good deals on oem parts(thanks amazon) as well as an Indy mechanic you can trust. In the end, owning an E53 X5 does not have to be costly. Just do your homework and understand what you are getting yourself into even before considering of owning one. Best of luck!"

Excellent vehicle looking to purchase same model

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Value for the price"

"Excellent vehicle looking to purchase same model newer year"

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Great for family"

Cons: "Motor issues"

"This is the first BMW I have owned. I love it, but, at around 100,000 miles the valve stem seals went bad, smoked when idling for a few min. Had it diagnosed at a certified BMW mechanic, will cost around $6,000 to fix minimum. That is granted nothing else "breaks" when tearing the motor down. I will not pay to have it fixed, the dealer I purchased from did not and will not give me the title, nor did he pay his loan off so his lender wants the car. Sorry for the next owner, very nice car, would love to keep, just can't take the 6 grand to fix!"

Very costly vehicle to own!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable interior and ride."

Cons: "It costs too much to keepup."

"We have owned this vehicle for a couple years now and have had way too many things go wrong with it (and a great expense). The X5 had only 62K miles when we bought it (now 85K). Since its purchase, we have had to replace the water pump, the serpentine belt, the driver’s heated seat, both rear window regulators, the driver’s window regulator. As well (and as mentioned by others) the rear brake lights keep going in and out. And that’s not normal repair items such as brakes, tires, etc. We thought we knew what it was like to own a European vehicle (repair cost wise) because we’ve owned others (non-BMW’s) in the past. However, we never expected to have to shell out so much money on an ongoing basis just to keep the X5 drivable. I honestly think part of the problem is the X5 is made only for the North American market. What I think the BMW engineers did was take everything they’d put in their cars and put into a full-size SUV. The issue is the weight, wear-and-tear, use, etc. of an SUV is much different than a smaller car—the BMW “car parts” just don’t hold up to the “SUV demands”. Furthermore, BMW has known this for some time, but refuses to do anything about it. If you are looking to buy this vehicle, be aware, you most likely will need an extra $1500-$2000 per year in “spare cash” to keep your X5 working properly."

Very Satisfied

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive. Feel very secure. Very responsive."

Cons: "Gas. It's 14/22, so yeah..."

"I own this great vehicle for little over 2 years. I am very happy with it. I have put over 30k miles on it. Maintenance wise what I have done was changed front two bushings. Each cost me $350 so total I have spent $700 over the years. Other than that I had NO ISSUES with my vehicle. This is my primary vehicle and I drive a lot in the city. This car is all wheel drive, and it drives like a car. Very strong, very responsive and interior is very quite. Has beautiful Panaromic Moonroof and great factory sound system. Oh one more thing, You only do One time oil change on these vehicle a year. Every two years you have to Inspection service. Oil change will cost you $120, and I think it's good price for a year. It's great ultimate driving machine."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals