2002 BMW X5

Based on 395 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

2002 X5 3.0

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"No doubt about it, this is the best vehicle I have owned in 36 years of driving. Purchased off eBay with 53k miles, I have added 40k miles in the last year with few problems. Only unexpected expense was a blower relay for the AC. Fuel mileage is amazing: 19.7 mpg in town and up to 25.6 mpg on the highway, even running 70 mph. Performance is more than acceptable from the 3.0 six cylinder. Towing our Waverunner is an easy task, and reduces fuel mileage about 10%. Very quiet as well, with almost no windnoise. The handling and ride are just the right balance between comfort and control. Mine does not have the sport package, and from what I have read and heard, the sport package can make the X5 uncomfortably hard riding for some people. But I am extremely pleased with the base suspension setup, and will go from the stock 235/65R17 tires to a set of 255/60R17 on the next replacement to enhance the cornering just a bit. New ones are a bit pricey, but they do hold their value very well. And you can't beat the free service under the warranty - but mine of course was used with an expired warranty - so how has it been? I have had to replace the brake pads and rotors (went with ceramic pads - dust free!), but that is normal at 60k miles. I also had to replace the front axles because the previous owner didn't catch the cracked CV joint boots. Keep an eye on those things. The repair bill was $1100, but I don't think that was the fault of the vehicle. I change the oil and filter every ten thousand miles (synthetic of course), even though the indicator looks like it would go about fourteen thousand. Surprisingly, the dealer only charges $80 for that service, and they alway do a quick check for any leaks, and inspect the belts and hoses, as well as top off the windshield cleaner and wash the vehicle. There are two minor convenience items: sometimes the automatic climate control is a little slow to kick the fan speed back up when you're sitting in the sun, and I can't get rid of a slow speed rattle from the left side of the liftgate. The dealer knows about the rattle problem and the 2007 liftgate design has eliminated that one. Overall, I am sure I will drive the wheels off this thing, on my way to another in the future!"

2001 X5 4.4

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I purchased this X5 4.4 at a dealer in New Jersey in 2001. I traded in my Range Rover. After switching to the sportier X5 I was a happy camper, the design is great, and the power and handling was something I really missed. But as soon as I hit 52k miles warranty expires at 50k my X5 started falling apart on me, I stalled out on the turnpike service engine light went on the night before I called in for an emergency to bring the car into the dealer the next morning which is 12 miles from my home at about 6miles the car just died on me. Good thing BMW has excellent service, they sent out a flat bed truck to pick me up and towed me to the dealership. I had the truck repaired and paid over $2000 picked the car up after 3 days they gave a nice bmw loaner until then. I Leave the dealership drove 2 miles engine light goes back on. They never where able to figure out why that light goes on but they charged me for some sort of repair. After that I started having coolant problems, low coolant they replaced the coolant system twice and still the light would go on. A company stands by its warranty! Next time I leasing not worth all the headaces"

It's a True Ultimate Driving machine.

By on Monday, July 30, 2012

Pros: "Everything..."

Cons: "Nothing that I know..."

X5

"Bought this car used with 80,000 miles on it. Right now I have 94000 miles on it. It was a lemon Law buy back... But trust me the dealer took care of that issue, before I bought it. Never had any major issues, normal wear and tear. Great ride, very quiet interior, super fast, love the way it handles. I worked at many different dealerships and I have seen brand new cars have problem... So it just a luck. This is my second BMW, I had a 1999 740i, drove that till 175000 miles. Never had Any problems. I strongly recommend this awesome driving machine."

X5

Fun, comfort, style, safe, wonderful in winter

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

"Great: very comfortable ride and seats, very quick, handles wonderfully (car like, despite being a SUV), can traverse icy and snowy roads like no other car I have ever drove, very safe with Boron steel cage and BMW attention to detail in this arena, level of fitment and finish is great, use of technological advancements to extract loads of power with a V8 all wheel drive attaining 20-21mpg on the open road, despite being 8 years old does not look dated, off road ability is very good (not its strongest area though), lots of storage pockets and cup holders. Need to be aware of: It's a German car, not Asian, it does require ongoing maintenance, it is all wheel drive, there are more things to require this maintenance, BMW lies and says no service is required for the transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials, coolant... many early failures in these areas are due to lack of maintance. When a failure does occur, expect outrageous prices from the dealer, use an independent shop, The Panoramic roof always fails, just expect it, there is a modification on line if you want to continue to use it, it is a V8, it will use more gas than a CRV..."

BEST vehicle ever!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Handsome, Fun to drive, Excellent value"

Cons: "Low resale value, high maintenance costs"

"I have owned many cars over the last several years including a very nice BMW E30 M3 and an Alpina, yet this one is my absolute favorite. To be honest, I could not afford this car when it was new ($68k sticker), so I had to wait to buy this one second hand. This X5 4.6is looks like a beast and it is. The vehicle has slight aerodynamic styling cues, larger wheels, larger brakes, sport seats and more horsepower (340hp) over a standard X5 4.4i (290hp). My car also has the factory Navigation upgrade. It looks and feels different in a way that suggests power and class. My X5 was purchased from the original owner who clocked over 100k miles on this car. It came to me in good overall condition, but I immediately spent $2000 in new gaskets, seals and other preventative maintenance. Overall, I have far more invested in this vehicle than KBB says it it worth, but I have a piece of mind in knowing that it is well cared for. Dispite higher than average maintenance costs, what other vehicle in this price range ($10-$15k) offers as much much power, class and ammenities without looking dated? I agree that this car is not for everyone. There is a cost associated in properly maintaining a european sport/luxury vehicle, but far less expensive than buying a new one. This may not be a $70k vehicle anymore, but it still looks and feels like one to me; I absolutely love it."

Fun to drive but a hungry dinosaur at the pump

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Horrible MPG"

"Bought mine back 2007 and still owns it to this very day. Like what most owners already said, it is a fun car to drive. Great as a family vehicle, and ample space for 5. Main downside, is its MPG. I used commute in the city everyday and it gulps a lot of premium gas. In addition, engine won't warm up enough when driving just a few miles and can or will eventually cause engine gunk leading to failure or problems. Really BMW? I'm causing more problems by driving my car less? Maintenance wise, it can get vey pricey if you rely on the stealership. Utilize the power of the internet to find good deals on oem parts(thanks amazon) as well as an Indy mechanic you can trust. In the end, owning an E53 X5 does not have to be costly. Just do your homework and understand what you are getting yourself into even before considering of owning one. Best of luck!"

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Drives like a sports car even in the wet."

Cons: "Pricey to fix when out of warranty."

"I bought this car when it was three years old as a certified pre-owned from a dealer. It had 47,000 miles on it. Once it was past the 100k warranty period, I've had very few repairs. The transfer case needed to be replaced at 204k. That was the most major repair. After putting 250k miles on the car in the last 7 years, I will definitely buy another X5 but not until this one is dead. It's been a dream to drive. I've owned about 25 cars in the last 43 years. This is definitely the best."

I love my BMW X5!

By on Monday, May 21, 2012

Pros: "Wonderful ride, spacious, love the panorama roof."

"I bought mine used and it has been a great car. Never a problem, good gas mileage - 19mpg. I have over 129,000 and keep the oil changed and love it. I like it better than other SUV's that I have owned in the past."

Best buy

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Pros: "great driver"

"I have owned several newer model X5's. Sold them all- kept the 2002 year model. Almost 200K miles later, car looks and drives great. Usual maintenance done over the years but worth every penny."

Green Machine for everything!

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, awd, luxury, power rear seats!"

Cons: "expencive to buy"

"First time I bought a BMW. I own for the past 25 years around 35 cars! This BMW handles everything very well. The straight six (225hp) is wonderful if you considered this SUV weights in almost 2.5 tons! Recent trip to Savannah saw 24.76 mpg at 75-80 and fully loaded (4passengers and stuff). Very comfortable and smooth ride with the std tires. No mechanical issues so far. I only had to change the terrible factory radio with an aftermarket witch rocks! If you keep up with the recommended BMW maintenance you want have any issues."

Beautiful SUV - completely unreliable

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "Attractive, great handling"

Cons: "Completely unreliaible, huge repair costs"

"It's a great-looking, comfortable SUV with great road handling but completely unreliable. I've easily spent more on maintenance and repairs (at BMW's obscene parts' prices) than the cost of the vehicle. Every major system has been replaced and/or repaired. Radiator, transfer case, AC, all window operators, all door locks, ABS system"

Stay away

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Too many electrical problems."

"This suv is the worst thing I've ever purchased. The car was bought used at 15K miles and up until 40k miles it was doing well. At around 45-50k miles all kinds of indicators were continuously popping up. The air suspension fault codes kept tripping. Brought it to dealer and eventually they replaced both front air shocks at 50K miles. Now it's at 53K miles and the on board computer tells me the air leveling suspension is inactive. Will have to bring into the dealership again. The car is a beast and performs well when everything is working right, but overall, it's just too much of a hassle. I would expect things to go south with beemers closer to 100K miles, but this thing's only halfway there and all sorts of problems. Would stay away from buying this particular model if had another chance."

90,000 and still truckin'

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"Just clocked 90,000 and replaced two belts and pulleys. Total mechanical costs since purchase (2002) is APPROX $5,000.00 This includes 8 tires and oil change every 7,000 miles. Vehicle runs beautifully and the comfort has not been compromised. My goal is to hit 200,000 miles and the costs incurred with this long term goal are modest for thus luxury SUV. This is a 3.0 engine, probably the best for the long haul"

This truck has it all

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Excellent!"

Cons: "None!"

"No need to explain anything. It’s self explanatory what BMWs are all about. German manufactured cars are always reliable, robust and made of great quality parts. I just love this truck. The gas mileage gets me about 470miles with full tank (21Gals). It’s just awesome... Strong engine, and awesome quality features on the truck. Value of the car keeps steady, and that’s good."

Very comfortable and fun to drive

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "a little pricey to maintain but well worth it!"

"Originally purchased new in Germany. I was fortunate to experience it on the Autobahn and feel all of the power. I have taken this vehicle from 135 MPH to a standstill in a distance that would make most people lose their lunch! This vehicle is a little pricy to maintain as far as normal wear and tear goes, but overall it is very dependable and fun to drive. It instills a sense of comfort and security and provides driving excitement that other manufacturers can only hope to attain. I have driven alot of luxury SUV's and none come close to the feel, excitement, and control of my X5!"

BMW X5 4.4i with Sport Package

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"My hubby bought me my 2001 X5 and I have never been so impressed with a vehicle. I have had MANY vehicles and SUVs but this one is the greatest. It is incredible just like my Denali but small enough to whip around town in a flash and still have room for the kids and pets. We haven't had any problems with ours and it has just hit the 106k mile marker. I would buy this kind of reliable luxury again and again!"

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"I purchased the car with 42K miles and four years old. I've had it about a year and half and don't know if I want to continue as a BMW owner. I LOVE the power and the way that the car drives, it handles exceptionally well especially in bad weather and always feels safe. I am a realtor and it is very comfortable when driving around town and spacious when carrying passengers. However, the back hatch keeps rattling, despite several attempts at repair and the check brake light alert now comes on almost every other day. The design is terrible in this aspect. I often feel as if I am driving a jalopy instead of a "luxury vehicle". The gas mileage is terrible but I suppose that I should have expected this with the 4.4. While it is convenient that the car tells you when every little thing may be wrong it also makes me feel as if I have had WAY more problems than I would with any other car. It may be too smart for its own good. If I didn't have these minor but overly frequent problems I would love the car. Instead, I am getting more frustrated with it by the day."

way underpowered for gas consumption

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"i put about 30,000 miles on my 2004 3.0i in last three months. cornering for a car this size ain't bad. but it is dangerously lacking pick up abilities. ANY MINIVAN CAN ACCELERATE FASTER. also, it does not want to start when it's humid outside. they replaced a fuel pump and a gas tank pump/sensor or something, saying that that was the problem, but it still starts with a problem every other time. if you are thinking about getting a three liter, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, GET A 4.SOMETHING."

Good overall vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reason: bought another BMW

Cons: "Cup holder is bad"

"Was a good vehicle. We had it for 3 years and bought another BMW. Never had any problems with it. I would get the bigger engine next time. Will always own a BMW."

Couldn't ask for more

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Pros: "Keeps value very well over the years, quiet, drives like a car."

Cons: "...can't think of any."

"I couldn't ask more out of an SUV. The gas mileage is excellent on the 3.0 (18mpg combined), and it has been nothing but reliable over the past 3 years of my ownership. Don't let complaints of maintenance costs from others fool you. If you have general mechanic experience then you too can maintain this yourself quite cheaply - order parts online: autohausaz, pelican, etc."

Don't keep it our of Warranty

By on Friday, December 05, 2008

"Only keep the car whilst its in warranty. Bought ours as a 'certified' BMW. Within, 1 month of the BMW warranty expiring the transmission had to be replaced as well as drive shafts and some other stuff totalling $9,000. The BMW repairer said that they had never seen this being required before. BMW America offered $500 towards the repairs after a LOT of pushing. Then when we said no we probably wouldn't buy another BMW they rang back and withdrew the $500 offer. After being BMW owners of various types for greater then 10years our confidence in the company is totally shattered. they just don't care"

favorite car ever!

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"My husband and I have owned 5 BMW's and my 2001 X5 3.0 is my favorite. I have owned it almost 6 years and it just hit 100 k miles! I call it my "tank" and "snow beast'.I love everything about it except my passenger seat is not power which i think should be standard on a luxury suv in this price range. We have had to replace 2 window regulators and the power door locks were malfunctioning, both inexpensive fixes considering that's all we have had to fix on a car with that much milage! My husband and I have never had any major mechanical problems on ANY of our BMW's and his has 172 K! We have both been in wrecks that should have taken our lives and we walked away! We will always be loyal to BMW!"

AWESOME Ride

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Value, Mainenance for the first 50K miles"

Cons: "After warantee is up, R"

"I have gotten over 100k miles in this vehicle in roughly 5 years...I will NEVER own anything but a BMW as long as my economic situation can support it. My next BMW will be another X5 or X6. I cannot recommend a better SAV (sports activity vehicle)!"

11 years old -people stlll think my BMW X5 is New!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Luxurious"

Cons: "repair bills"

"Gas mileage is pretty good...I use Plus gas with no problems. I love all the bells and whistles like automatic rain sensors for the wipers. So versatile, back seats go down. I've taken 10 foot trees home completely inside it. Sooo comfortable on long trips. Only drawback is repairs... first need to have a good, honest dealership near you. Repairs are costly. This car has special sensors and such, so the repairman has to know the BMW."

not a good vehicle

By on Friday, June 10, 2011

Pros: "enjoyed the ride when it was operable"

Cons: "MAINTENANCE BE CAREFUL"

"I will never buy another BMW maintenance is to high.Bought car in 2005 had 65000 miles. Two months later had to spend $1300 on fan belt radiator and car battery. Year later another $1100. Then $900 to pass smog,$400 on hoses. $90 to have window re-set do to it dropping.2011 spent $1360 oil leak and to pass smog. Same month oil still leaking now i was being told it is coming from somewhere else and the engine would have to come out.A big job i was quoted at a couple of place $2 to $3 thousand to fix. One other place quoted $6600 they have lost their mind. The car was only worth $6000.Let me not forget motor gone in two windows repair would have costed over $1000. Back door handles sticking you would have to darn near snatch you arm out of place to pull them open. Front drivers door inside latch broke had to roll window down to open door from outside handle. To Repair would have been on all doors bout $2000. Wow. Rear left light some sort of shortage to repair would have cost $260 for the outside cover panel another $200 to $300 hundred to repair socket due to poor conection at BMW dealer. All these reapairs at the labor cost of $180 an hour. Other cetified BMW repair shops labor $110 to 120. The cheapest cost were the light bulbs from $8 to $12 and the BMW emblem cap the fits over the rim on the tire at a only shocking price of $6. Everywhere i go BMW horror stories including from a financil clerk at the credit union that financed the car loan. The shuttle driver at my job people ridding the shuttle all voicing their BMW horrer stories. Even on guy at BMW told me he would not purchase one and that a lot of people are trying to get out of theirs.Upside down of it all these cars look good but in the long will burn a hole in your pocket. So you need to start a special bank account for BMW repairs only and do trust you will use it all. This is not a person working to survive car i think even the well off would get tired of spending money on repairs. Again never want another one new or used. Buyer Be ware"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals