2000 BMW X5

Based on 400 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

2002 X5 3.0

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"No doubt about it, this is the best vehicle I have owned in 36 years of driving. Purchased off eBay with 53k miles, I have added 40k miles in the last year with few problems. Only unexpected expense was a blower relay for the AC. Fuel mileage is amazing: 19.7 mpg in town and up to 25.6 mpg on the highway, even running 70 mph. Performance is more than acceptable from the 3.0 six cylinder. Towing our Waverunner is an easy task, and reduces fuel mileage about 10%. Very quiet as well, with almost no windnoise. The handling and ride are just the right balance between comfort and control. Mine does not have the sport package, and from what I have read and heard, the sport package can make the X5 uncomfortably hard riding for some people. But I am extremely pleased with the base suspension setup, and will go from the stock 235/65R17 tires to a set of 255/60R17 on the next replacement to enhance the cornering just a bit. New ones are a bit pricey, but they do hold their value very well. And you can't beat the free service under the warranty - but mine of course was used with an expired warranty - so how has it been? I have had to replace the brake pads and rotors (went with ceramic pads - dust free!), but that is normal at 60k miles. I also had to replace the front axles because the previous owner didn't catch the cracked CV joint boots. Keep an eye on those things. The repair bill was $1100, but I don't think that was the fault of the vehicle. I change the oil and filter every ten thousand miles (synthetic of course), even though the indicator looks like it would go about fourteen thousand. Surprisingly, the dealer only charges $80 for that service, and they alway do a quick check for any leaks, and inspect the belts and hoses, as well as top off the windshield cleaner and wash the vehicle. There are two minor convenience items: sometimes the automatic climate control is a little slow to kick the fan speed back up when you're sitting in the sun, and I can't get rid of a slow speed rattle from the left side of the liftgate. The dealer knows about the rattle problem and the 2007 liftgate design has eliminated that one. Overall, I am sure I will drive the wheels off this thing, on my way to another in the future!"

Green Machine for everything!

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "smooth ride, awd, luxury, power rear seats!"

Cons: "expencive to buy"

"First time I bought a BMW. I own for the past 25 years around 35 cars! This BMW handles everything very well. The straight six (225hp) is wonderful if you considered this SUV weights in almost 2.5 tons! Recent trip to Savannah saw 24.76 mpg at 75-80 and fully loaded (4passengers and stuff). Very comfortable and smooth ride with the std tires. No mechanical issues so far. I only had to change the terrible factory radio with an aftermarket witch rocks! If you keep up with the recommended BMW maintenance you want have any issues."

Very comfortable and fun to drive

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, dependable, comfortable"

Cons: "a little pricey to maintain but well worth it!"

"Originally purchased new in Germany. I was fortunate to experience it on the Autobahn and feel all of the power. I have taken this vehicle from 135 MPH to a standstill in a distance that would make most people lose their lunch! This vehicle is a little pricy to maintain as far as normal wear and tear goes, but overall it is very dependable and fun to drive. It instills a sense of comfort and security and provides driving excitement that other manufacturers can only hope to attain. I have driven alot of luxury SUV's and none come close to the feel, excitement, and control of my X5!"

90,000 and still truckin'

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"Just clocked 90,000 and replaced two belts and pulleys. Total mechanical costs since purchase (2002) is APPROX $5,000.00 This includes 8 tires and oil change every 7,000 miles. Vehicle runs beautifully and the comfort has not been compromised. My goal is to hit 200,000 miles and the costs incurred with this long term goal are modest for thus luxury SUV. This is a 3.0 engine, probably the best for the long haul"

Don't keep it our of Warranty

By on Friday, December 05, 2008

"Only keep the car whilst its in warranty. Bought ours as a 'certified' BMW. Within, 1 month of the BMW warranty expiring the transmission had to be replaced as well as drive shafts and some other stuff totalling $9,000. The BMW repairer said that they had never seen this being required before. BMW America offered $500 towards the repairs after a LOT of pushing. Then when we said no we probably wouldn't buy another BMW they rang back and withdrew the $500 offer. After being BMW owners of various types for greater then 10years our confidence in the company is totally shattered. they just don't care"

way underpowered for gas consumption

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"i put about 30,000 miles on my 2004 3.0i in last three months. cornering for a car this size ain't bad. but it is dangerously lacking pick up abilities. ANY MINIVAN CAN ACCELERATE FASTER. also, it does not want to start when it's humid outside. they replaced a fuel pump and a gas tank pump/sensor or something, saying that that was the problem, but it still starts with a problem every other time. if you are thinking about getting a three liter, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, GET A 4.SOMETHING."

This truck has it all

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Excellent!"

Cons: "None!"

"No need to explain anything. It’s self explanatory what BMWs are all about. German manufactured cars are always reliable, robust and made of great quality parts. I just love this truck. The gas mileage gets me about 470miles with full tank (21Gals). It’s just awesome... Strong engine, and awesome quality features on the truck. Value of the car keeps steady, and that’s good."

Good overall vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reason: bought another BMW

Cons: "Cup holder is bad"

"Was a good vehicle. We had it for 3 years and bought another BMW. Never had any problems with it. I would get the bigger engine next time. Will always own a BMW."

BMW X5 4.4i with Sport Package

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"My hubby bought me my 2001 X5 and I have never been so impressed with a vehicle. I have had MANY vehicles and SUVs but this one is the greatest. It is incredible just like my Denali but small enough to whip around town in a flash and still have room for the kids and pets. We haven't had any problems with ours and it has just hit the 106k mile marker. I would buy this kind of reliable luxury again and again!"

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"I purchased the car with 42K miles and four years old. I've had it about a year and half and don't know if I want to continue as a BMW owner. I LOVE the power and the way that the car drives, it handles exceptionally well especially in bad weather and always feels safe. I am a realtor and it is very comfortable when driving around town and spacious when carrying passengers. However, the back hatch keeps rattling, despite several attempts at repair and the check brake light alert now comes on almost every other day. The design is terrible in this aspect. I often feel as if I am driving a jalopy instead of a "luxury vehicle". The gas mileage is terrible but I suppose that I should have expected this with the 4.4. While it is convenient that the car tells you when every little thing may be wrong it also makes me feel as if I have had WAY more problems than I would with any other car. It may be too smart for its own good. If I didn't have these minor but overly frequent problems I would love the car. Instead, I am getting more frustrated with it by the day."

Couldn't ask for more

By on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Pros: "Keeps value very well over the years, quiet, drives like a car."

Cons: "...can't think of any."

"I couldn't ask more out of an SUV. The gas mileage is excellent on the 3.0 (18mpg combined), and it has been nothing but reliable over the past 3 years of my ownership. Don't let complaints of maintenance costs from others fool you. If you have general mechanic experience then you too can maintain this yourself quite cheaply - order parts online: autohausaz, pelican, etc."

favorite car ever!

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"My husband and I have owned 5 BMW's and my 2001 X5 3.0 is my favorite. I have owned it almost 6 years and it just hit 100 k miles! I call it my "tank" and "snow beast'.I love everything about it except my passenger seat is not power which i think should be standard on a luxury suv in this price range. We have had to replace 2 window regulators and the power door locks were malfunctioning, both inexpensive fixes considering that's all we have had to fix on a car with that much milage! My husband and I have never had any major mechanical problems on ANY of our BMW's and his has 172 K! We have both been in wrecks that should have taken our lives and we walked away! We will always be loyal to BMW!"

AWESOME Ride

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Value, Mainenance for the first 50K miles"

Cons: "After warantee is up, R"

"I have gotten over 100k miles in this vehicle in roughly 5 years...I will NEVER own anything but a BMW as long as my economic situation can support it. My next BMW will be another X5 or X6. I cannot recommend a better SAV (sports activity vehicle)!"

11 years old -people stlll think my BMW X5 is New!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Luxurious"

Cons: "repair bills"

"Gas mileage is pretty good...I use Plus gas with no problems. I love all the bells and whistles like automatic rain sensors for the wipers. So versatile, back seats go down. I've taken 10 foot trees home completely inside it. Sooo comfortable on long trips. Only drawback is repairs... first need to have a good, honest dealership near you. Repairs are costly. This car has special sensors and such, so the repairman has to know the BMW."

not a good vehicle

By on Friday, June 10, 2011

Pros: "enjoyed the ride when it was operable"

Cons: "MAINTENANCE BE CAREFUL"

"I will never buy another BMW maintenance is to high.Bought car in 2005 had 65000 miles. Two months later had to spend $1300 on fan belt radiator and car battery. Year later another $1100. Then $900 to pass smog,$400 on hoses. $90 to have window re-set do to it dropping.2011 spent $1360 oil leak and to pass smog. Same month oil still leaking now i was being told it is coming from somewhere else and the engine would have to come out.A big job i was quoted at a couple of place $2 to $3 thousand to fix. One other place quoted $6600 they have lost their mind. The car was only worth $6000.Let me not forget motor gone in two windows repair would have costed over $1000. Back door handles sticking you would have to darn near snatch you arm out of place to pull them open. Front drivers door inside latch broke had to roll window down to open door from outside handle. To Repair would have been on all doors bout $2000. Wow. Rear left light some sort of shortage to repair would have cost $260 for the outside cover panel another $200 to $300 hundred to repair socket due to poor conection at BMW dealer. All these reapairs at the labor cost of $180 an hour. Other cetified BMW repair shops labor $110 to 120. The cheapest cost were the light bulbs from $8 to $12 and the BMW emblem cap the fits over the rim on the tire at a only shocking price of $6. Everywhere i go BMW horror stories including from a financil clerk at the credit union that financed the car loan. The shuttle driver at my job people ridding the shuttle all voicing their BMW horrer stories. Even on guy at BMW told me he would not purchase one and that a lot of people are trying to get out of theirs.Upside down of it all these cars look good but in the long will burn a hole in your pocket. So you need to start a special bank account for BMW repairs only and do trust you will use it all. This is not a person working to survive car i think even the well off would get tired of spending money on repairs. Again never want another one new or used. Buyer Be ware"

High Quality

By on Saturday, September 08, 2007

"Very solid after 56K miles; no shakes, rattles or squeaks. Fit and finish are excellent. Feels a little underpowered with 6 cyl engine."

Love this SUV

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "Great drive, excellent in the snow fun"

Cons: "Expensive to fix get the extended warranty"

"I have owned many many Vehicles including suv's. My BMW X5 is the best vehicle ever. I bought it new and will keep it till it dies!! It corners like a dream has tight steering and good pickup. Best ever in the snow."

Awesome Luxury

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Fun, sporty, luxury, versatility"

Cons: "Only con is expensive to repair and maintain"

At the beach

"This car is another great example of German engineering. It is excellent in all weather conditions but is still sporty and a blast to drive on curves. The features and luxury are awesome! I love this car and look forward to another 100K miles (currently at 150K). It is expensive to repair and maintain but is worth it (note: The 4.6iS model is prone to transmission issues - which mine had, but repaired now)"

At the beach

Good (if you can afford it)

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Beautiful interior/exterior. Drives awesome."

Cons: "12 to 15 mpg - city and hw! Very expensive to fix"

"I bought my X5 2001 used, it now has almost 150K miles, and the mechanic repair bills topped $3000 this year alone. The power windows (2 of them) went out also, each costing 400 to repair. On top of that 14mpg city and 15mpg highway. I really like this beemer, but it is just too much to maintain."

Very expensive vehicle to maintain

By on Sunday, August 14, 2011

"I would never recommend this car to anyone. In the passed 3 years I have spent over $8,000 fixing one problem after another. Will never buy another BMW again."

By on Monday, November 24, 2008

"Drives like a fast car, feels like a luxury vehicle, utility for any task."

Excellent SUV....

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"Overall this has been an excellent vehicle. I purchased an extended warranty, and it was worth every penny. These are great cars if you can afford the upkeep as well as the price of gasoline. I can definitely say that although its now well over $80.00 a tank of gas, I'm still a fan and will continue to drive this vehicle."

"Very Safe and Strong Car!"

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Safe, strong engine and body, and reliable."

Cons: "Pricey, loses it's value after 5 years."

"I owned the X5is BMW and loved it!It seems like the body is made of steel because all the doors are heavy. Very strongly built and I feel safe to drive in it! Doesn't need any repairs within the 5yrs or extended warranty, but very pricey to fix if warranties expires. Some repairs have "break my wallet"= BMW. Overall, one of the best and safest car I've driven."

long haul quality

By on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"This is my 3rd entry since buying the 2002 3.0 Now having 130,000 miles, my X5 runs like a brand new vehicle. Minor repairs over the past 50,000 miles. Tuneup, front signal lamp and belts. Of course I change the oil every 7k and buy new tires and balancing every 40k miles or so. Only had one brake job since hitting 50k miles. For those who own this vehicle and are wondering abount longevity and quality..trust me..hold on to this engineering gem! See you again at 175K!"

big disappointment

By on Sunday, January 03, 2010

"I thought by spending a few extra bucks I would buy some quality from a superb brand. This is the 2nd bmw I owned with which i had issues. Every time I go in the store, I hear the usual wear and tear story, but for a car that I bought new I would have expected some better quality and during. Oil leaks (common problem i see on many message boards for the x5), cooling fan, mechanical suspension issues (front AND later in the back) can go on ... I tried to engage the dealer in my concerns and even bmw usa. Neither of them were responsive or even trying to offer a solution. Both the X5 and 325 I owned were a big disappointment, for me no more bmw, going with MB from now on completely. Something Positive: looks, image, and driving performance are a plus."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals