• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2013 BMW X5 M Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $81,749 - $84,752.

10/7.6

7.9

Based on 172 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Sports Car with Storage

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Fun-factor, value, quality, storage"

Cons: "iPhone integration could be better"

"On the test drive, I wasn't initially impressed. A nice, well connected ride, but just lacked the fun-factor I was expecting from a beemer with an "M" badge. When the salesperson told me to put it in Sport Mode, hit the "M" button on the steering wheel and then punch it, I was shocked. An instant transformation from nice to WHOA NELLY! Nearly three years and 45k miles later and I smile every time I drive it. The growl when it shifts still raises the hair on my neck! We've coined the Sport/M button combo Super Man mode and it is just that. Add to this handling that rivals most sports cars, agressive styling, value (30k less than anything similarly equipped with not near the horse power) and free maintenance for 4/50k and it was a no-brainer for me. I can take family and friends camping, snowboarding and cycling, and have fun getting there. When I want a more mellow ride, which isn't often, I just turn off Super Man mode. I save a little gas and enjoy a smoother ride, but still don't feel like I'm driving around in an clunky SUV. What more can you ask for? I'm hard-pressed to find many negatives. It gets horrible gas mileage (I average 15mpg) but so do all the others in this class. It has squeaky brakes at times. It has been in the shop a few times for warranty work and maintenance, but nothing major and I always get a nice loaner. My only real complaint is I wish it had better iPhone integration which is evidently solved for in the 2013 model. I should mention I'm a previous Cayenne owner. At the time, I loved it but had no idea what I was missing."

Great vehicle but not a great value.

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "diesel and handling."

Cons: "regular seats, ride, pricing"

"I wanted a diesel for economy, towing, and I love the torque. This is a very quiet and comfortable truck with a slightly rough ride vs. the ML. It is overpriced for the quality of materials vs. its competition. You can get a better riding ML for much less, but the ML will never handle or pull as well. Much better dynamics than the Audi Q7. Essential options are the upgraded seats, sport package, tech package and cold weather package. Diesel gets 21mpg city, up to 28 mpg on highway. Very quiet at speed."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

"I previously leased a 2006 X5, and liked it so much that I decided to purchase a 2009 X5 when the lease ran out. Although I am not thrilled about some of the new interior design features, the ride, handling, performance, and warranty on this vehicle is unrivaled. In comparison to other SUV's, this one may feel like you are driving a tank, but the responsiveness when accelerating and braking are amazing. There is no effort to get this vehicle up hills at highway speeds, or emergency braking. The warranty (no maintenance costs up to 50,000 miles) gives the BMW a considerable edge over M-B or Porsche. Although it is pricey, I have already recommended this vehicle to family and friends. Even if you can get a good deal on a used X5, it is worth it."

Beautiful car but unreliable

By on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

"I have owned several BMW's (8 or 9) and have loved every one of them for their excellent handeling. This particular 2007 X5 has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned! It has to be jump started almost twice a week. The dealership has not been able to figure out why this is occuring. So they blame it on not driving enough. I drive over 10,000 miles a year which should be more than enough for any car. The car is once again in the dealership with the same problem. I didn't pay this much money for my car to sit in the service department for half the time I have owned it!!!! BMW needs to stand behind their product and fix the car or replace it with a new one otherwise this will be my last BMW!"

I realy like this car..

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "holds the road, responsive, fun to drive, design"

Cons: "price"

"I always look for shortcomings in the car, but I have to admit, excitement I have driving X5 overshadows any practical or negative views (and there are not many). I enjoy every drive - short or long! X5 is not cheap, but it delivers fun drive on every dollar I paid for it."