• 2014 Small Luxury Sport Sedans

2013 BMW X5 M Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $82,125 - $85,068.

10/7.6

7.9

Based on 158 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

One of the best all around vehicles on the road!

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, luxurious interior, sporty, powerful engine"

Cons: "I can't think of anything."

"I bought the first generation X5 for my wife and other than the alternator, no other repairs were necessary from 2003-2009 when I traded it with 93K miles on it. The only complaint we had back then was that there was no diesel offered for the American market. The decision to get another X5 was pretty easy, especially with a diesel now available. We purchased the 2012 X5 Xdrive 35d with just about every option and simply can't imagine a better vehicle. My wife and kids love it as much as I do if not more and they're not car folks like me. Fuel economy is usually the major issue with SUVs, but with the diesel there's really nothing negative to speak of. We got the Sport Activity package which adds the little running boards (which aren't really functional in the traditional sense) and the massive 20" tires with 315s in the rear and the combination makes the X5 look awesome, and handle better than many performance cars. The X5 is not too big or too small, it's just right. I have 2010 F150 supercrew and I love it, but I usually use the X5 to haul things simply because its easy to maneuver in any traffic situation and with the rear seats folded it has about the same capacity as the bed of my pickup. I'm not the off road type so that particular aspect of this vehicle or any vehicle for that matter makes no difference to me, but again it's difficult to imagine a better all around vehicle than the X5."

Great SUV But Quality is Spotty

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, peppy 6 cylinder, handles great."

Cons: "Quality of parts is not always there."

"Drives like a car - not a SUV. Handles well, pretty peppy for a 6 cylinder, very comfortable and quiet ride. My only issue is consistent quality. Case in point, the entire radiator had to be replaced on a car that was only 4 years old at the time. While this is my 4th BMW, I have had Hondas and Toyotas that lasted over 12 years and never had to replace the radiator. Maintenance after the maintenance warranty has expired is pricey too but I knew this going in. Expect to pay more than you may be accustomed to for brake jobs, etc."

Disappointed

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"After looking for two years I bought the loaded 4.8 three months ago. I had high expectations for a $77K SUV. The vehicle has a known (by BMW) issue with the transmission and radio (computer). Rides terrible and very rough shifting. Been in the shop over 20 days since I bought it and it still has not been fixed. I feel bad that I made such a terrible/costly mistake."

buyers beware!

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Reason: too many repairs

Pros: "enjoyable to drive"

Cons: "poor quality, terrible customer service"

"I owned the 2008 X5 model for 5 years, and enjoyed the 80K miles I drove, but there was also a lot of frustration. The last straw for me was when BMW customer service refused to do anything about the "banana-skin" effect which is apparently a common fault with the X5. The trim on the glove compartment door had peeled off in the corners and so the door wouldn't open any more. The national BMW customer service told me that it is a wear and tear problem and the manufacturer would not provide any solutions. I pointed out that it was clearly because of using glues unsuitable for the Southern California hot summers, but wasn't able to get anywhere. After years of dealing with high-pressure BMW service departments that were constantly trying to sell me extras, including all kinds of lubrication services not covered by the BMW maintenance, I could not take it any more and sold the car."

Great to Drive But Expesnive to Maintain

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "A great design and a great driver. Has presence."

Cons: "Expesnive to maintain and Repair"

"I love driving it. The steering feedback, roadfeel, responsiveness, etc. are just great; particularly for an SUV. I drove my son's 2010 520d (I am in Korea) and no comparison. Great build quality, etc....but Freude am Fahren was absent. Got back in my X5 and couldn't believe the difference. Yes, the 3 liter 6-cylinder is a bit weak for this heavy a vehicle but that was replaced with a turbo-charged version in later years. The drive train has been very reliable. The valve cover gasket has had a slow drip for over a year but I am now rebuilding the ignition system, which will include the spark plugs, coils and wires. Also will replace the enire valve cover, which includes new gaskets as well as the oil separator valve. Will also replace the 2 VANOS solenoids while we're in the area. There were also (typical) cooling system component replacments to include the inner radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc.. And will soon do a preemptive water pump replacement. Had to replace the iDrive controller, the HVAC blower assembly and right reat talilight assembly. I love it but you have to be ready to PAY to own it...i.e. tires are $1k a set, which I replaced every 25k. The new battery just cost me over $300. If you need/want an SUV but want one that is responsive with a great design then this is for you. But if you don't care about driving dynamics and the connection between car, road and driver, then there are competent comfortable and cheaper to own vehicles out there. What are your needs? P.S. the E70 series X5 was built from 2007 through the 2013 model years."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25