• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2013 BMW X5 M Consumer Reviews

Unfortunately, we don’t have a Fair Purchase Price for this car in your area.

Fair Purchase Price N/A

10/7.6

7.9

Based on 176 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Best engineered automobile I've owned

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Excellent engineering,except for the "I" Drive"

Cons: "With the engineering,Why the I Drive"

"I had 13 New Cadilliacs, yet after I drove a BMW, you are in a different world. Being an engineer and having owned a manufacturing co.for forty yrs. I am completely aware of what goes into research and development of a product. I always purchased American,since I was an American Manufacturer. That was. Mistake! The ideas and engineering that goes into the development of BMW is top of the line! Their biggest problem,that I see, is that the Dealers try to skimp on service. Without service what have you got? ( an American car!)"

I love my X5! Safe, solid and fun!!

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive!!!!"

Cons: "Expensive to fix!!"

"Our X5 has been wonderful!! A few minor issues have popped up, but nothing too serious. My one small bit of advice to future owners is this: If your planning on buying an X5 out of warranty, spend the few bucks to have BMW do a pre-buy inspection. I almost purchased an X5 from a dealership that looked, sounded and seemed fault free. Upon inspection, we were looking at $23,000.00 in repairs to the engine! Someone had abused it. Anyhow, We found a new option, had it inspected and life is good. Also, Do not make the mistake of purchasing this SUV if you can't afford to maintain and fix it. They aren't cheap to fix!!! If you live in a metro area, do some research and check out a few reviews on foreign auto service/repair. If you can find a reasonable option for repairs, I'd say go for it!"

The best SUV you can get that acts like a car.

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, value, features."

Cons: "Never enough time to drive it."

"Hand down this is the best SUV you can get in this class. It handles like you are driving a car. The amount of interior space is excellent. We didn't opt for the 3rd row as we diden't need it and by seeing it I feel it is a waste. We went with the Premium edition and loaded it up with a nice amoutn of options. Must have options are the Multi-Contour seats and the Premium Sound."

Sports Car with Storage

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Fun-factor, value, quality, storage"

Cons: "iPhone integration could be better"

"On the test drive, I wasn't initially impressed. A nice, well connected ride, but just lacked the fun-factor I was expecting from a beemer with an "M" badge. When the salesperson told me to put it in Sport Mode, hit the "M" button on the steering wheel and then punch it, I was shocked. An instant transformation from nice to WHOA NELLY! Nearly three years and 45k miles later and I smile every time I drive it. The growl when it shifts still raises the hair on my neck! We've coined the Sport/M button combo Super Man mode and it is just that. Add to this handling that rivals most sports cars, agressive styling, value (30k less than anything similarly equipped with not near the horse power) and free maintenance for 4/50k and it was a no-brainer for me. I can take family and friends camping, snowboarding and cycling, and have fun getting there. When I want a more mellow ride, which isn't often, I just turn off Super Man mode. I save a little gas and enjoy a smoother ride, but still don't feel like I'm driving around in an clunky SUV. What more can you ask for? I'm hard-pressed to find many negatives. It gets horrible gas mileage (I average 15mpg) but so do all the others in this class. It has squeaky brakes at times. It has been in the shop a few times for warranty work and maintenance, but nothing major and I always get a nice loaner. My only real complaint is I wish it had better iPhone integration which is evidently solved for in the 2013 model. I should mention I'm a previous Cayenne owner. At the time, I loved it but had no idea what I was missing."

Great vehicle but not a great value.

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "diesel and handling."

Cons: "regular seats, ride, pricing"

"I wanted a diesel for economy, towing, and I love the torque. This is a very quiet and comfortable truck with a slightly rough ride vs. the ML. It is overpriced for the quality of materials vs. its competition. You can get a better riding ML for much less, but the ML will never handle or pull as well. Much better dynamics than the Audi Q7. Essential options are the upgraded seats, sport package, tech package and cold weather package. Diesel gets 21mpg city, up to 28 mpg on highway. Very quiet at speed."