2014 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $40,399 - $42,034.

10/7.6

Based on 55 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

Really an SAV, drives like a car,built like an SUV

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Good overall driving experience"

Cons: "Noisy, compact and pricey options."

"Wonderful driving experience. Acceleration is smooth and handling is effortless. The options ( panoramic moonroof, navigation, keyless entry, park assist, power liftgate etc) add to the experience and I found them worth every bit of the extra money spent ( many of them could be made standard) Great balance of power and efficiency. Have driven my X3 (28i) for about 2000 miles and am averaging 26.8 mpg with about 60% hwy miles. Space is adequate for a small family and the rear row seats my kid (6 yr old) comfortably. However, space ( 2nd row seating) could be a constraint for larger families. Also, I found the vehicle a little noisier than others and was disappointed that such a well made vehicle could not have been better insulated."

New X3 a Great One

By on Saturday, April 02, 2011

"Don't know what the KBB reviewer means about no leg room--this is a very roomy vehicle, both front and back! Drives smoothly, with plenty of road information without the bumps; luxe interior with lots of standard equipment. This one will appeal both to people with things to haul--children, dogs, bicycles, etc.--and to those who want something sporty and interesting to drive. The 28i gets 4 stars to leave room for the 30i with its slightly more powerful engine. I drove many other vehicles in this class before purchase--about 15 of them, from the Audi to the Honda--and this was the best for the money, hands down."

Great Automobile

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

"I will try not be biased in my review. I purchased the 2012 BMW X3 28i a few weeks ago. Although I have owned the car a short time, it is not my first car nor my first BMW. First off, the car does handle extremely well around turns as well as on the open road. BMW has really put a lot of thought, technology, and engineering into their latest edition. The exterior of the suv is amazing in that its curves and lines give the car a sense of movement while standing still. Interior wise, BMW has laid out the cabin to be more roomy and comfortable. As many have mentioned, the new X3 is comparable in size to the original X5. The instrument cluster as well as middle console work well for those who want that feeling of piloting an airplane. Remember, this is a car that is meant to be driven and experienced. As for cons, there are a few. The lag time between the gas pedal to motion at a full stop is noticeable but not a deterrent. The electronic parking brake can be odd and unfamiliar for some."

The Ultimate Driving machine

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive easy to learn the iDrive Technology"

"My first new Vehicle and I chose the 2012 X3 xDrive28i. I picked it up on 10/26/11. I am very pleased and although the added options cost a lot more than I planned I have no regrets. What a ride. The Technology package, Premium package and Heated seats/steering wheel makes the luxury a true pleasure. The Xenon headlights make its an even cooler SAV with those electro-mechanical lights. 3 cameras with Park Distance control takes the stress out of parallel parking especially living in New York City. You get use to the iDrive functionality easily. I love it so much it makes me want to keep on driving."

Do not buy this car ..

By on Sunday, February 27, 2011

"I recently purchased the 2011 BMW X3 (end of January)and have had nothing but issues with. The engine oil sensor malfunction light has gone on numerous times, trouble with the remote key and yesterday got stuck and it just died and leaked gas out all over the road. In addition, BMW roadside assistance was useless - took them 5 hours to get a tow truck to get the car"

Love my 35i

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Handles great, fun to drive, power, power, power!"

Cons: "A few interior rattles"

"Owned the X3 for just over a year now and love every minute I'm in it. This vehicle handles like a dream and takes the twisties like a champ! Can't beat the power of the 35i. X3 performed beautifully in the snow and had no issues. I'd highly recommend this car to a friend!"

fun and you can get in and out

By on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Pros: "fun fun till she took the magic fob{keyless entry}"

Cons: "she took the fob"

"This is my second BMW, first was a X5, the new X3 is a pure joy to drive. Ive have had 3 Corvettes and know fun when you drive a car, now that im older this X3 comes close,and its much easier to get in and out.Great looking car a little wild on price and add ons but worth it .I think my wife likes it more then I do."

The ultimate driving experience

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Luxury, Mileage, Convenience, Safety, and Control"

"Perfect balance, Perfect control, Awesome speed, Good Mileage, Perfect for a family of 4 and everything is attended to the minute detail possible. I am getting 30 miles per gallon if I drive at 60-65 miles/hour but gives only 16 miles per gallong in city due to stop and go traffic. Improvements: 1. Navigation - Even my $100 Garmin performs better. 2. Rear Brakes - Demands changing every 20-25K miles. 3. No Auto Headlights 4. Rear Side Airbags - At least as optional 5. Transmission lag (in the beginning if it is normal mode)"

Make excuses to run errands!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, exterior design looks sharp"

Cons: "No true manual, wish some add-ons were standard"

"This is my second BMW. My first was a 3 series sedan that has lasted almost 20 years and still runs like a dream, but I wanted the cargo room, so I went with the X3. It handles the road beautifully and is amazingly fun to drive! I make excuses to run errands and always offer to drive on longer trips. I got the sport package and the sport seats hug you. Add on the heated seats and I could sleep in it if I wanted to. The xdrive is great. I have not had an issue thus far in wintery weather. There is a suprising amount of room in the back to haul gear and there is also extra storage under the floor in the very back. This model is the size of the original X5, giving the backseat riders a bit more leg room and it is definitely noticeable. Among the standard features is the iDrive. I didnt upgrade to the Nav, but find that having my music displayed on an 8 inch screen, as well as info about the car, to be a very nice feature. The stock sound system also gets 5 stars. Sounds are crisp, bass is deep, and songs with multiple instruments (like jazz) are produced well as if you were sitting in a club listening live. There is nothing about this car that I am not in love with. It drives great, it's comfortable, sporty, and the exterior design makes the car look like it is in constant motion. I would definitely buy another!"

My First Luxury Car

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Technology, quality, performance and reliability."

Cons: "It's luxury so you need money to own one."

"It was not disappointing at all to own this luxury car. I was skeptical to own BMW for a long time because of reliability issues. This time I made a decision to own one and chose BMW X3. Very impressed and I am proud to own one now."

Great car

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "gas milage, size and horse power"

Cons: "no towing package offered"

"I traded in my '07 RX 400H (wasn't that impressed with gas mileage and didn't like the way it handled in the snow). I got the 35i twin turbo and now I am planing on selling my Solstice GXP next summer since I hardly ever drive it (I think the BMW is faster) My only regret is that there was not a towing package offered. I see now that there are after market towing package available so I will add that also in the spring. At 6' 4" I find there is plenty of room in this car too. When I show people the video that BMW emailed me of my car being made at the new US plant, they are blown away. Love this car."

Good but...

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Good Looking"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Impressed with: Speed and maneuverability at highway speed. Look and style, I am proud of it. Not Impressed with: It has wheel alignment issue, been aligned 3 times over the life of the original tires. Tires are used up at 31k miles not to mention that these tires are not cheap at $340 each. Theres seem to be a hiccup on the initial acceleration, you have to very careful on the drive off. Rear door has to be slammed to close completely otherwise the sensor will let you know. The engine noise; My car is a 35I twin Turbo and the dealer told me its normal for the noise. Use of Premium gas only to give you an average of 21 miles a gallon."

2015 BMW X3 is the best luxury compact SUV

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Diesel, MPG, Torque, M sport look, comfort."

Cons: "Auto start stop hesitate."

"I owned a 2011 X3. I was in the market to traded in for a sporty car. I considered Fusion, Edge, Murano, VW CC, Touareg, Volvo S60, V60, XC60, Q5, GLK, and X5. I wanted to maximize Utility, Quality, Performance, and Efficiency out of my budget. In conclusion, I, again, choose 2015 X3, now with M sport look. Value: I traded in my 2011 X3 on June 2014 at 53.6% of original MSRP. I think that is not bad. Driving Dynamics: No doubt, every professional car reviewer agrees BMW has best overall driving dynamics. X3 is one good example of it. Reliability: I owned my first X3 for more than 3 years. I never paid any maintenance, fixing, etc.... Never have any problem. This is one big reason why I want BMW again. Interior : Thanks to the LCI treatment for 2015 model, I am sure BMW has the best interior material quality of the segment. Exterior: this is the part I love my car the most. I have been dreaming to get a M sport Package BMW for years. Finally, I drive one now. Quality: Some said GLK has best built quality of segment. I said X3 is not any worse than GLK. Comfort & Convenience: X3 has best cargo space of the segment, so I don't need to put further explanation. My wife love the comfortable sport seat and minimal wind noise. At 80 MPH, the wind noise is still very low. In conclusion, how to define a car of your dream? I think it is that every morning you get ready to work. You go to garage about to drive. You see your car and you feel this is going to be a wonderful day. That is how I feel. By the way, thanks to its diesel engine, I average 32.3 MPG on my entire 2500 miles. I am very happy at this result."

The Joy of Driving

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, Fuel economy, Look, iDrive, Luxury"

Cons: "Price, Middle rear seat has less leg room"

In the mountains

"I am truly satisfied with the performance of this car. From steering response, to agility, fuel economy and state of the art electronics - it is a true BMW. With the added options like huge panaromic moonfoof, parking sensors and cameras, navigation, parked car auto ventilation and so on, it's pure luxury meets performance. The top view of the car itself on the road with visible parking lines or nearby object is something I have not seen in any other car yet. There are just so many things I am happy about this car. But I think this one sentence captures it all: I become happy when I am in it"

My video

In the mountains

My Love

excellent

By on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"HAVE ONLY HAD IT FOR TWO WEEKS - BUT WE LOVE IT. WE HAD OUR BMW X5 FOR TEN YEARS AND IT WAS LIKE NEW WHEN WE TURNED IT IN. NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A BMW."

Good & bad....

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Nice car to drive."

Cons: "Victim of technology and continuous battery drain."

"Fun car to drive. I have a 2012 x35i (bought new) with just 16,000 miles so far. But it's cold in Minnesota, and I use the car for many short trips. Now i'm finding that, with the battery 'way out back in what amounts to an ice box, I get continuing messages to "Charge Battery" all the time. The dealer says this is normal and that the battery will not charge when it's ice cold. The solution: Put the car on a 10A battery charger every night if it's going to be below freezing. Huh?? Yes, raise the hood and connect a battery charger. So I do, while I'm shopping for another, more user friendly car. Also have had continuing problems with tire (Pirellis) rim leaks, with no help forthcoming from the dealer. So my morning routine now includes starting my garage compressor, pumping up one or two tires, disconnecting my battery charger, and closing the hood."

So much more fun to drive than others I've owned

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "joy of driving, attractive design inside and out"

Cons: "gas mileage, repair costs"

"I was lucky to find a low-mileage, used X3 with an odd configuration: no bells and whistles except just what I wanted: climate package and navigation, plus roof rails for my crossbars. That's all I wanted beyond the beautifully tuned 6-cylinder classic BMW engine and the 8-speed transmission that I think make this car special. I love driving this car, especially on winding, rural roads in the places in the northeast that I visit regularly. Aside from one major repair to a steering component, there have so far been no repairs -- just routine maintenance. I do think the extended service warranty to 100,000 miles, expensive as it is, may be worth it because, when a BMW starts getting older it gets much more expensive to take care of out of warranty. I'm lucky to own one of the last 6-cylinder xDrive28i cars. It should become a classic."

excellent driving vehicle-engine is terrific

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"Excellent car with perfect quality so far-easy to drive with excellent engine performance. Interior design is excellent."

Nice Upgrade

By on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

"I currently own a 2011 BMW X3 and am very happy with my purchase. After looking for 6 months and driving numerous vehicle, I went BACK to BMW. I previously owned a 2008 BMW X3 and when the newer model came out, I couldn't help but jump on the "wagon". It spacier than the 08 model and looks a lot more luxuorous than ever before. It's a comfortable ride. My only complaint is what some cars come with their basic models, BMW adds it as an additional option making the car slightly more expensive for the additional perks than the rest. With that said, well worth the money as you can expect to have this car for a life time!"

Awesome SAV

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Awesome to drive (very fast)"

Cons: "Sport Seats are a little over bolstered"

"I have owned my X3 for about 3 months and continue to be impressed with the power, handling and comfort. The car is also getting up to 25 MPG on the highway under spirited driving in the Rocky Mountains."

Beautiful design. BMW drivability.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Driving as Life is too short. Control knob"

Cons: "Rough riding."

"Fun driving. Quality exterior and interior. Zips easily around town and drives great on the freeway. Has leased it for over a year with no problems. Master Control knob next to the gear shift is the ultimate in convenience and safety. Many other vehicle's controls are on the dash, having to push the glass screen, making it more difficult to control the radio, navigation etc. Comparing the exterior design of other luxury and mid-level SUV models, the X3 is far superior. The only downside is the ride which is not as smooth and not as quiet as other models which I would prefer. Secondly, having discussed BMW's with mechanics and other previous BMW owners, the major issue and concern is the future reliability and repair expense as the vehicle passes it's free 4 year BMW maintenance period. Just about all recommend not owning a BMW because it will be in the shop frequently at very high expense. As a result, I plan on buying either a Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX for reliability and smoothness and quietness of ride. The prices with all the options are within the same price range. Or being spoiled by it's drivability and control knob, I will lease a new X3 or X5 for the rest of my driving life...but never buying one."

The BMW of SUV...I love this vehicle

By on Monday, June 20, 2011

Pros: "driving dynamics, design, tons of technology and size"

Cons: "price, gas mileage --I average 19.4 in combined driving and brake dust builds up quickly on alloys."

"I spent 6 months deciding on what I was going to replace my 2005 Lexus RX330 with...I test drove the Lexus RX, M Benz GLK 350, Audi Q5, Cadillac SRX and decided to wait for the BMW. It's well designed, spacious, luxurious, tons of technology and a blast to drive. the 3.5 engine is as sweet as they come. Only downside, the technology takes a little getting used to and it's pricey when you add options--but they are all worth it. I love this vehicle!"

Powerful and great, a few design misses

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Screaming fast. Zero to 60, in 5.6 seconds"

Cons: "Lame clock, Nav, electronics, and power steering"

"Screamingly fast 5.6 0-60, love it! Great leather and interior build, 20k miles with no mechanical issues at all. Feels safe and secure. Love the little LEDs that light up the curbs when you open the doors, the HID headlights are great. There was a creaking sound in the sunroof, that they fixed for free way past the "adjustments period" you hear about this issue a lot. Still creaks/rattles a little, but much better. Good handling, but the electric steering is a continuing disappointment (my wife's mini handles so much better, at half the price). Lots of software driven features are well intended, but a bit lame. Navigation is better than nothing, but not as good as if you glued an iPhone over the screen. The real time traffic on this 2011 is worthless, it only shows highway repairs, not real traffic. The internet lookup is so slow it seems broken. Even the salesman could not get the voice recognition to work, a very pale comparison to Siri in my phone. When you ask it what time it is, it lists the menu items on the screen at that moment. What I really would like, is a bmw app on my iphone for tire pressure readings, and alerts, and the rest of the time have that display show what is on my iPhone screen. BMW can't compete with apple/android, they shouldn't try. The AM radio is strange, it falls out of HD when the broadcaster's antenna is in line of sight, and sounds weird when out of HD. My sequoia's radio is much much better. The lock/unlock remote control works a long distance, but the beep is too quiet to hear in city noise, and what is worse, it will only beep/flash the first time you lock it. So I find myself unlocking and relocking, if I didn't hear the beep. Kind of lame. Dumbest design mistake: They sell this car to 40+ year old customers, but the clock is too small to read comfortably with out reading glasses, and what's worse, is that they dim it,and use a less contrasting color, at night, making it useless (the clock was fine on my previous 528i). I leave a mechanical analog clock meant for a motorcycle on tray under where the ash tray would have been -- gets lit up by a LED in the car at night. This may sound stupid, but hate the decorative crease on the drivers door -- it is supposed to look like wind coming over a wing, but with the car at a stop it looks like a limp human body part -- not the image they were shooting for! It really shows up in silver and gray, but less so in black and white paint. Overall car is great, and I'd buy it again. It is the right size. The X5 is bigger without any more passenger room, and slower with the same turbo 6 engine, but it looks a little better. The Audi Q5 looks better all around, but had a weak engine, it was sluggish when the seats were full with passengers."

after 8 months, going to get rid of it

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "performance"

Cons: "user controls, navigation, I-drive"

"Worst user controls, worst navigation, plagued with engine warnings. twice after returning to the car, the engine is running. Car rattles and creeks. The I-drive is awful. Sorry I bought this car. The engine performs well, and transmission is smooth, You will hate the auto engine shut off. The dashboard and I-Drive controls are terrible. They couldn't possibly have focus grouped the user controls. This is my seventh trip back to the dealer. The engine warning light is on many times."

2015 X3 xdrive28i

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Quick, Fuel efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "None so far"

"Traded in a 2013 Ford Edge Ecoboost for the 2015 X3, same horsepower numbers, entirely different driving experience. Ordered the vehicle from my local BMW dealer and got it exactly the way I wanted (M Sport package, Premium package, Nav system, driver's assistance package, Harmon Kardon audio), had to wait almost 3 months, due to ordering right when the 2015 became available. First impressions are very good, have had the vehicle for slightly over 3 months. Handling is great for a near mid-size SUV, it corners like a 3 series sedan. Acceleration is very good in Sport mode (acceptable in Comfort mode as well and it saves on fuel), no discernible turbo lag, the 4 cylinder is a great engine. Have taken it on a long family trip and returned an average of 25-28 mpg (this is with a full cargo hold of luggage). Cargo space was more that adequate for 3 people and their luggage (along with all the stuff a 4 year old drags with). The M Sport seats are worth their weight in gold, no fatigue even from 12 hour stints in the vehicle. This is my first luxury brand car (not my first German vehicle) and I am very pleased with it. Depending on how this vehicle holds up reliability wise, I may become a BMW buyer from here on out. (Side note: I am a female, but a car nerd, and horsepower and handling matter more to me than the amount of cup holders or vanity mirrors)."