2014 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $35,996 - $37,420.

10/7.6

Based on 58 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

The BMW of SUV...I love this vehicle

By on Monday, June 20, 2011

Pros: "driving dynamics, design, tons of technology and size"

Cons: "price, gas mileage --I average 19.4 in combined driving and brake dust builds up quickly on alloys."

"I spent 6 months deciding on what I was going to replace my 2005 Lexus RX330 with...I test drove the Lexus RX, M Benz GLK 350, Audi Q5, Cadillac SRX and decided to wait for the BMW. It's well designed, spacious, luxurious, tons of technology and a blast to drive. the 3.5 engine is as sweet as they come. Only downside, the technology takes a little getting used to and it's pricey when you add options--but they are all worth it. I love this vehicle!"

Powerful and great, a few design misses

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Screaming fast. Zero to 60, in 5.6 seconds"

Cons: "Lame clock, Nav, electronics, and power steering"

"Screamingly fast 5.6 0-60, love it! Great leather and interior build, 20k miles with no mechanical issues at all. Feels safe and secure. Love the little LEDs that light up the curbs when you open the doors, the HID headlights are great. There was a creaking sound in the sunroof, that they fixed for free way past the "adjustments period" you hear about this issue a lot. Still creaks/rattles a little, but much better. Good handling, but the electric steering is a continuing disappointment (my wife's mini handles so much better, at half the price). Lots of software driven features are well intended, but a bit lame. Navigation is better than nothing, but not as good as if you glued an iPhone over the screen. The real time traffic on this 2011 is worthless, it only shows highway repairs, not real traffic. The internet lookup is so slow it seems broken. Even the salesman could not get the voice recognition to work, a very pale comparison to Siri in my phone. When you ask it what time it is, it lists the menu items on the screen at that moment. What I really would like, is a bmw app on my iphone for tire pressure readings, and alerts, and the rest of the time have that display show what is on my iPhone screen. BMW can't compete with apple/android, they shouldn't try. The AM radio is strange, it falls out of HD when the broadcaster's antenna is in line of sight, and sounds weird when out of HD. My sequoia's radio is much much better. The lock/unlock remote control works a long distance, but the beep is too quiet to hear in city noise, and what is worse, it will only beep/flash the first time you lock it. So I find myself unlocking and relocking, if I didn't hear the beep. Kind of lame. Dumbest design mistake: They sell this car to 40+ year old customers, but the clock is too small to read comfortably with out reading glasses, and what's worse, is that they dim it,and use a less contrasting color, at night, making it useless (the clock was fine on my previous 528i). I leave a mechanical analog clock meant for a motorcycle on tray under where the ash tray would have been -- gets lit up by a LED in the car at night. This may sound stupid, but hate the decorative crease on the drivers door -- it is supposed to look like wind coming over a wing, but with the car at a stop it looks like a limp human body part -- not the image they were shooting for! It really shows up in silver and gray, but less so in black and white paint. Overall car is great, and I'd buy it again. It is the right size. The X5 is bigger without any more passenger room, and slower with the same turbo 6 engine, but it looks a little better. The Audi Q5 looks better all around, but had a weak engine, it was sluggish when the seats were full with passengers."

after 8 months, going to get rid of it

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "performance"

Cons: "user controls, navigation, I-drive"

"Worst user controls, worst navigation, plagued with engine warnings. twice after returning to the car, the engine is running. Car rattles and creeks. The I-drive is awful. Sorry I bought this car. The engine performs well, and transmission is smooth, You will hate the auto engine shut off. The dashboard and I-Drive controls are terrible. They couldn't possibly have focus grouped the user controls. This is my seventh trip back to the dealer. The engine warning light is on many times."

2015 X3 xdrive28i

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Quick, Fuel efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "None so far"

"Traded in a 2013 Ford Edge Ecoboost for the 2015 X3, same horsepower numbers, entirely different driving experience. Ordered the vehicle from my local BMW dealer and got it exactly the way I wanted (M Sport package, Premium package, Nav system, driver's assistance package, Harmon Kardon audio), had to wait almost 3 months, due to ordering right when the 2015 became available. First impressions are very good, have had the vehicle for slightly over 3 months. Handling is great for a near mid-size SUV, it corners like a 3 series sedan. Acceleration is very good in Sport mode (acceptable in Comfort mode as well and it saves on fuel), no discernible turbo lag, the 4 cylinder is a great engine. Have taken it on a long family trip and returned an average of 25-28 mpg (this is with a full cargo hold of luggage). Cargo space was more that adequate for 3 people and their luggage (along with all the stuff a 4 year old drags with). The M Sport seats are worth their weight in gold, no fatigue even from 12 hour stints in the vehicle. This is my first luxury brand car (not my first German vehicle) and I am very pleased with it. Depending on how this vehicle holds up reliability wise, I may become a BMW buyer from here on out. (Side note: I am a female, but a car nerd, and horsepower and handling matter more to me than the amount of cup holders or vanity mirrors)."

Awesome car!

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Everything about being a BMW."

Cons: "Sorry, haven't found any."

"I traded in my 2006 X3 for the 2012 X3. The differences are evident, it drives more smoothly with quicker acceleration; the car is very quiet unlike my old model; I love the new modern gadgets though they could be a bit distracting. Finally, the fuel efficiency has improved significantly, my 2012 is 25 mpg while my 2006 model is only 15 mpg."

2nd best car ever!!!

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Fun to drive, practical, great mpg, powerful,"

Cons: "expensive for a CUV"

"Got the car in June 2013, and since we got it, this car is wonderful. We got the 35i and in ECO PRO mode, got 30 MPG highway! Quality is good on the car. Plenty fun to drive. Nav system works great. Oyster leather looks great with Black metallic exterior. This car is a pretty penny, and if your willing to spend the money, get the X3"

Love this babe. Best car ever!

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

"My best car ever. Only complaint is the run flat tire. Highly recommend you get the tire and rim warranty."

Perfect Marriage of Utility and Performance

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Feels like a swiss vault when it shuts"

Cons: "Need better noise dampener at high speed"

"Rock solid vehicle. It has amazing power and acceleration thanks to the silky smooth eight speed transmission. The car feels solid and stable around curvy rounds even going 90 mph, something I would never have done in my other vehicle and though I do not recommend this for others. However, I was very impressed how this vehicle navigated those sweepy curves. I also drove this vehicle on an interstate during a snow storm with the standard all season tires that came with it. It handled like a well trained athlete. I was the only car driving through the snow in the left lane. I am not sure that the vehicle was better than others but it certainly game me confidence that the vehicle could deal with the snow. I also love the look of the vehicle's exterior and interior. The aesthetics is understated elegance, not over the top. It does not call attention to itself other than through the blue and white Rondell. The discreet aesthetic is another reason why I like the BMW. If I could got rid of the Rondell or the indentifiers that announce that it is a BMW, I would love it even more because I drive this car not for its status but because of how solidly it drives and perform. The 48mos/50K miles warranty also comes in handy because repairing this Ultimate Driving Machine can be costly. I love this vehicle more than I enjoyed my 2007 328i."

Nice Driving Vehicle, Overpriced, NO DIPSTICK INCL

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Nice Driving Car, Good Mileage"

Cons: "No Dipstick, unreliable oil measurement system"

"I have the 4-cyl version of this vehicle with the EcoDrive feature that cuts the car off at the stop lights. Save gas and engine fumes. The AWD capability easily moves this car through snow and it climbs a steep snow covered driveway at my mountain cottage without snow chains. The car is fun and zippy to drive. It is also easy to park.....compared to the X5 I had before, the X3 is like a sports car compared to a truck. Unfortunately, I will never purchase another BMW....and had I known about this single shortcoming before purchase, I would have walked out of the dealership. BMW, in their infinite wisdom decided to save about $5 by eliminating the dip stick. Even worse, their electronic oil measuring system is unreliable. What self respecting car enthusiast wants a car in which you cannot measure the oil? I was on a long cross country trip when my car kept telling me to add quarts of oil. Had I not been suspect, I would have ruined the engine by overfilling the crankcase up to the valve cover. To this day, 1/11/2014, I still don't know how much oil is in my engine. No more BMW's for my family until they put the dipstick back."

Great to drive - feels like a sports car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage - Handling - Looks - Looks"

"This is my first BMW. When I was shopping for a vehicle with these options, I found the price of the BMW was just a little more than most "American" SUV's. After driving the X3, wow - I wanted this car. Almost forgot: I get an average of 30 miles to the gallon - 4 cycle."