2014 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $36,013 - $37,462.

10/7.6

Based on 49 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Perfect Marriage of Utility and Performance

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Feels like a swiss vault when it shuts"

Cons: "Need better noise dampener at high speed"

"Rock solid vehicle. It has amazing power and acceleration thanks to the silky smooth eight speed transmission. The car feels solid and stable around curvy rounds even going 90 mph, something I would never have done in my other vehicle and though I do not recommend this for others. However, I was very impressed how this vehicle navigated those sweepy curves. I also drove this vehicle on an interstate during a snow storm with the standard all season tires that came with it. It handled like a well trained athlete. I was the only car driving through the snow in the left lane. I am not sure that the vehicle was better than others but it certainly game me confidence that the vehicle could deal with the snow. I also love the look of the vehicle's exterior and interior. The aesthetics is understated elegance, not over the top. It does not call attention to itself other than through the blue and white Rondell. The discreet aesthetic is another reason why I like the BMW. If I could got rid of the Rondell or the indentifiers that announce that it is a BMW, I would love it even more because I drive this car not for its status but because of how solidly it drives and perform. The 48mos/50K miles warranty also comes in handy because repairing this Ultimate Driving Machine can be costly. I love this vehicle more than I enjoyed my 2007 328i."

Love, love this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good looking car"

Cons: "GPS need upgrade, cup holders"

"This was assembled in Germany/Austria and was shipped to me as a gift from my husband. I love the Flamenco color, so far I've only seen 2 of these in N. California. I Love the moon roof, you can open it halfway or all the way. This is a really good car for me but maintenance is quite expensive.The GPS,I did an upgrade but not quite impressed for a BMW car. Car has parking assist, steering wheel can be tilted,has fog lights,intermittent wipers and more. Car paint is still in very good condition, car has been garaged most of the time. I just drive it to and from work."

Beautiful design. BMW drivability.

By on Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Pros: "Driving as Life is too short. Control knob"

Cons: "Rough riding."

"Fun driving. Quality exterior and interior. Zips easily around town and drives great on the freeway. Has leased it for over a year with no problems. Master Control knob next to the gear shift is the ultimate in convenience and safety. Many other vehicle's controls are on the dash, having to push the glass screen, making it more difficult to control the radio, navigation etc. Comparing the exterior design of other luxury and mid-level SUV models, the X3 is far superior. The only downside is the ride which is not as smooth and not as quiet as other models which I would prefer. Secondly, having discussed BMW's with mechanics and other previous BMW owners, the major issue and concern is the future reliability and repair expense as the vehicle passes it's free 4 year BMW maintenance period. Just about all recommend not owning a BMW because it will be in the shop frequently at very high expense. As a result, I plan on buying either a Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX for reliability and smoothness and quietness of ride. The prices with all the options are within the same price range. Or being spoiled by it's drivability and control knob, I will lease a new X3 or X5 for the rest of my driving life...but never buying one."

nice car to drive

By on Monday, November 24, 2014

Cons: "When the hybrid will be out for X3? or i3 is sub."

"Pros: on 8 speed, it loves conserving gas. I drive alot on freeway, so that works. Internal parts, go to the bmw blogs bimmer.com to find facts and figures to get the right parts. Nice stereo system. Once you know how to change change oil and the filters is 2nd nature. Let the mechanic do the rest. Buy the extended warranty at the dealer up front when bargin a deal. It will cost more if you do it later. Your google and youtube is your resource to the manual. Other than that drive it like a regular car. Cons: At low speed on city street, and red light can drain the gas. Takes awhile to learn all the functions. Need some special tools if you want to do your own maintenance. Dealership is a pain and drain you if you do not know about BMW vehicles. German cars: word of wisdom: Get a used one is to save a buck around 30 - 40k miles and sell it near 100k miles. You do not want to know what will happen after 100k miles. Have to deal for a 2nd key fob. I say average MPG is 24 city/ freeway is 28. The navigator is useless. Just use your iphone connect it on bluetoth or usb. The tire computer gauge is annoying when one of the tires is low on run flat tires. There is no spare tires on new cars."

Proud to own this car.

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, runs like a scolded dog."

Cons: "no sunglass holder, no spare tire"

"The car is a blast to drive. Handling is excellent, performance is near the top of the pack for this catagory, gas milage is good (average about 22 mpg). It sits high enough that my wife and I, in our 60's can get in and out easily. Outstanding transmission. Might replace the run flat tires with regular tires for improved ride, which is a bit on the firm side. Only criticism is the AC which could be a bit stronger. Plenty of back seat room and rear storage is good. Has the best headlights of any car I have ever owned; will burn the paint off stop signs. Not a car for someone who wants a posh ride like a Lexus or Cadillac, but made for the driving enthusists. We picked the car up at the factory in South Carolina and the factory gave us the VIP treatment, spending a day showing us the capabilities of the car. So far no problems with this car. Would buy it again!"

2015 X3 xdrive28i

By on Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Pros: "Quick, Fuel efficient, and comfortable"

Cons: "None so far"

"Traded in a 2013 Ford Edge Ecoboost for the 2015 X3, same horsepower numbers, entirely different driving experience. Ordered the vehicle from my local BMW dealer and got it exactly the way I wanted (M Sport package, Premium package, Nav system, driver's assistance package, Harmon Kardon audio), had to wait almost 3 months, due to ordering right when the 2015 became available. First impressions are very good, have had the vehicle for slightly over 3 months. Handling is great for a near mid-size SUV, it corners like a 3 series sedan. Acceleration is very good in Sport mode (acceptable in Comfort mode as well and it saves on fuel), no discernible turbo lag, the 4 cylinder is a great engine. Have taken it on a long family trip and returned an average of 25-28 mpg (this is with a full cargo hold of luggage). Cargo space was more that adequate for 3 people and their luggage (along with all the stuff a 4 year old drags with). The M Sport seats are worth their weight in gold, no fatigue even from 12 hour stints in the vehicle. This is my first luxury brand car (not my first German vehicle) and I am very pleased with it. Depending on how this vehicle holds up reliability wise, I may become a BMW buyer from here on out. (Side note: I am a female, but a car nerd, and horsepower and handling matter more to me than the amount of cup holders or vanity mirrors)."

So much more fun to drive than others I've owned

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "joy of driving, attractive design inside and out"

Cons: "gas mileage, repair costs"

"I was lucky to find a low-mileage, used X3 with an odd configuration: no bells and whistles except just what I wanted: climate package and navigation, plus roof rails for my crossbars. That's all I wanted beyond the beautifully tuned 6-cylinder classic BMW engine and the 8-speed transmission that I think make this car special. I love driving this car, especially on winding, rural roads in the places in the northeast that I visit regularly. Aside from one major repair to a steering component, there have so far been no repairs -- just routine maintenance. I do think the extended service warranty to 100,000 miles, expensive as it is, may be worth it because, when a BMW starts getting older it gets much more expensive to take care of out of warranty. I'm lucky to own one of the last 6-cylinder xDrive28i cars. It should become a classic."

2015 BMW X3 is the best luxury compact SUV

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Diesel, MPG, Torque, M sport look, comfort."

Cons: "Auto start stop hesitate."

"I owned a 2011 X3. I was in the market to traded in for a sporty car. I considered Fusion, Edge, Murano, VW CC, Touareg, Volvo S60, V60, XC60, Q5, GLK, and X5. I wanted to maximize Utility, Quality, Performance, and Efficiency out of my budget. In conclusion, I, again, choose 2015 X3, now with M sport look. Value: I traded in my 2011 X3 on June 2014 at 53.6% of original MSRP. I think that is not bad. Driving Dynamics: No doubt, every professional car reviewer agrees BMW has best overall driving dynamics. X3 is one good example of it. Reliability: I owned my first X3 for more than 3 years. I never paid any maintenance, fixing, etc.... Never have any problem. This is one big reason why I want BMW again. Interior : Thanks to the LCI treatment for 2015 model, I am sure BMW has the best interior material quality of the segment. Exterior: this is the part I love my car the most. I have been dreaming to get a M sport Package BMW for years. Finally, I drive one now. Quality: Some said GLK has best built quality of segment. I said X3 is not any worse than GLK. Comfort & Convenience: X3 has best cargo space of the segment, so I don't need to put further explanation. My wife love the comfortable sport seat and minimal wind noise. At 80 MPH, the wind noise is still very low. In conclusion, how to define a car of your dream? I think it is that every morning you get ready to work. You go to garage about to drive. You see your car and you feel this is going to be a wonderful day. That is how I feel. By the way, thanks to its diesel engine, I average 32.3 MPG on my entire 2500 miles. I am very happy at this result."

Not Worth the Price

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "smooth drive; good mileage; powerful engine"

Cons: "not worth the value."

"My husband bought me the 2014 X3 in June of 2013 to replace my X5 which is one of the only advantages of the X3. It's a lot smaller than the X5 which I always felt as if I was driving a massive truck. The size of the X3 is much more reasonable. Clearly this car is not for me. I'm a stay-at-home mother and I put a whopping 6k miles on it in 14 months. Unlike my husband, who loves and appreciates high-end, expensive German cars, I just don't. Maybe it's a "guy" think but I just feel it's a LOT of money to spend, especially when I don't need a car of this caliber for my personal driving habits/needs. But I kind of question who really does. I know I sound ungrateful but it's just too much for me and I often feel uncomfortable in certain situations with having the BMW logo on it. To me, it can give off an air of entitlement and that might be my issue but I think the opposite can be true. Some buy this car and spend the amount of money precisely because it has the BMW logo. OK, about the car. It i IS a comfortable drive and got me through a pretty bad winter with a ton of blizzards and I never got stuck or had any problem driving up our VERY steep and long driveway or skidding, etc. so it's a safe care! I'll give it that! And it gets MUCH better gas mileage than my old X5 (but it is a lot smaller). But the number of "features" are overwhelming and made "worse" by having many accessible from both the steering wheel AND on other buttons on the dashboard, middle console, etc. The number of unncessary features along with this duplication makes me feel as if I am flying some large commercial airplane. I'm sure there are some features I'm not even aware of but one example of a "not-at-all" needed in my mind is the blinker options. You want to change lanes and you somehow "know" that you only need three "blinks" to signal the driver into whose lane you are entering? You can use the standard blinker and just flip it off when you've changed lanes BUT you can also push a small button on the steering wheel that will automatically turn off the blinker after 3 blinks AND that same feature is also on the dashboard. Honestly? It just results in a car which has a massive amount of buttons that I just can't imagine most drivers using. I feel it's more of a way to justify the expense than adding any benefit. But I'm just a Girl so what do I know? I do know that a week after I got it in June of 2013 and had 300 miles on it, a 19-year-old hit me with his old pickup in a parking lot on the passenger side of the car (don't ask why he drove perpendicularly into me). He wasn't traveling at a high speed at all so his truck didn't have a scratch but the body design of the X3 sides is one long, continuous piece from the very front to the back so the entire side of the car had to be replaced. And since I had picked a new color that was never offered before and since I had also gotten the very first shipment, there was a delay in getting the paint so my car was in the body shop for 3 weeks. I'll stop. You realize you are reading a review from a middle-age woman who considers a car more of a commodity and doesn't appreciate what some might. We own the car so I'll keep it maybe for one more winter and then I'm trading it in and choosing what I feel I need and I bet I MAKE money off the whole deal."

Very Very Nice Vehicle

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Great Vehicle with excellent storage space"

Cons: "second seat don't recline. my only complaint"

"This vehicle is amazing. I like the fact that I was able to custom order my vehicle at no additional cost. I had to wait a month before it was delivered but it was worth it. I opted for the xdrive 35i over the 28 and I'm glad I did. This thing screams. It has on the move drive modes so I can switch between comfort and sport which I believe engages the turbo. It also changes the shift ranges of the transmission. My daily driver is a 2007 Infiniti M45. When I compare driving pleasures, I think that the X3 without question is faster on take off because you can feel the all wheel drive of the X3 pulling but the V8 of the M45 pens you to the seat. Both have the ability for burnouts. That is both from standstill and roll.But I think the M45 would take the X3 in a head to head. I also opted for the painted trim. Money if you ask me well spent."

Drives like a sports car. Great power, handling!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "FUN, FUN FUN to drive."

Cons: "NAV software needs to be scrapped and reworked"

"This a terrific all around vehicle. I've had several BMW's but this is my favorite. The Sport+ program makes this SUV drive like a high end sprts car. Could not be happier with this ourchase. Heads up display is really useful. Only complaint is the Navigation system is cumbersome and the Voice recognition software basically doesn't work. It's more frustrating than anything else."

Great to drive - feels like a sports car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage - Handling - Looks - Looks"

"This is my first BMW. When I was shopping for a vehicle with these options, I found the price of the BMW was just a little more than most "American" SUV's. After driving the X3, wow - I wanted this car. Almost forgot: I get an average of 30 miles to the gallon - 4 cycle."

excellent driving vehicle-engine is terrific

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"Excellent car with perfect quality so far-easy to drive with excellent engine performance. Interior design is excellent."

Solid, handles great

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very quick"

Cons: "none so far"

"Very solid performer. Comfortable seats, intuitive electronics. Great leather, paint and storage. Plenty of room on back seat for tall people. Impressive MPG... been averaging 22 in town."

Solid, handles great

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very quick"

Cons: "none so far"

after 8 months, going to get rid of it

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "performance"

Cons: "user controls, navigation, I-drive"

"Worst user controls, worst navigation, plagued with engine warnings. twice after returning to the car, the engine is running. Car rattles and creeks. The I-drive is awful. Sorry I bought this car. The engine performs well, and transmission is smooth, You will hate the auto engine shut off. The dashboard and I-Drive controls are terrible. They couldn't possibly have focus grouped the user controls. This is my seventh trip back to the dealer. The engine warning light is on many times."

Loving my 2014 BMW X3 28i

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Excellent drive, well crafted interior, safe"

Cons: "Some bugs in onboard computer, blind spots"

"I just leased a 2014 BMW X3 28i, and this is definitely the best car I have ever driven. The car deserves an almost perfect score. I would have liked to have rated this car a 9.5 overall, but I had to settle for a 9 given the rating system on KBB. So here's the good stuff. The drive of the BMW is simply outstanding. The X drive system offers sport, comfort and eco modes which offer three very different but excellent driving experiences. The sport drive makes you feel like you are piloting a Porsche, and even the 4 cylinder version of the car has incredible torque. The comfort drive is likewise excellent, although you can clearly distinguish a 4 cylinder from a 6 cylinder version. But you do get better mileage. The eco mode offers a bit less pep than the other driving modes, but the MPG goes way up. Since I leased the car three months ago, my MPG has averaged about 21 MPG, with more town and city driving versus highway driving. During longer highway drives, I have gotten 30-35 MPG consistently. The steering is crisp and responsive and the breaking is taught but not overbearing. The BMW driving experience is simply superior. My car is relatively new and I have experienced no major reliability issues despite a brutal winter in NJ this year. The interior of the car is something special. The leather finish is outstanding and the styling of the dashboard is excellent. The iDrive system is fantastic as well. I highly recommend the Navigation system which is unreal. The computerized dash is truly powerful and wide in scope. The only downsides I can think of with the car is that the dashboard computer can sometimes be buggy (i.e. clearing pre-set radio channels randomly), and also the car has blind spots on the driver side given the positioning of the rollcage."

Awesome car for families

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, spacious"

Cons: "tailgate doesn't close with key"

"This car is great for families on the go! The car drives great and I can always rely on it to take me where I want to go! If you need a luxury midsize SUV, this is the one!"

Powerful and great, a few design misses

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Screaming fast. Zero to 60, in 5.6 seconds"

Cons: "Lame clock, Nav, electronics, and power steering"

"Screamingly fast 5.6 0-60, love it! Great leather and interior build, 20k miles with no mechanical issues at all. Feels safe and secure. Love the little LEDs that light up the curbs when you open the doors, the HID headlights are great. There was a creaking sound in the sunroof, that they fixed for free way past the "adjustments period" you hear about this issue a lot. Still creaks/rattles a little, but much better. Good handling, but the electric steering is a continuing disappointment (my wife's mini handles so much better, at half the price). Lots of software driven features are well intended, but a bit lame. Navigation is better than nothing, but not as good as if you glued an iPhone over the screen. The real time traffic on this 2011 is worthless, it only shows highway repairs, not real traffic. The internet lookup is so slow it seems broken. Even the salesman could not get the voice recognition to work, a very pale comparison to Siri in my phone. When you ask it what time it is, it lists the menu items on the screen at that moment. What I really would like, is a bmw app on my iphone for tire pressure readings, and alerts, and the rest of the time have that display show what is on my iPhone screen. BMW can't compete with apple/android, they shouldn't try. The AM radio is strange, it falls out of HD when the broadcaster's antenna is in line of sight, and sounds weird when out of HD. My sequoia's radio is much much better. The lock/unlock remote control works a long distance, but the beep is too quiet to hear in city noise, and what is worse, it will only beep/flash the first time you lock it. So I find myself unlocking and relocking, if I didn't hear the beep. Kind of lame. Dumbest design mistake: They sell this car to 40+ year old customers, but the clock is too small to read comfortably with out reading glasses, and what's worse, is that they dim it,and use a less contrasting color, at night, making it useless (the clock was fine on my previous 528i). I leave a mechanical analog clock meant for a motorcycle on tray under where the ash tray would have been -- gets lit up by a LED in the car at night. This may sound stupid, but hate the decorative crease on the drivers door -- it is supposed to look like wind coming over a wing, but with the car at a stop it looks like a limp human body part -- not the image they were shooting for! It really shows up in silver and gray, but less so in black and white paint. Overall car is great, and I'd buy it again. It is the right size. The X5 is bigger without any more passenger room, and slower with the same turbo 6 engine, but it looks a little better. The Audi Q5 looks better all around, but had a weak engine, it was sluggish when the seats were full with passengers."

Nice Driving Vehicle, Overpriced, NO DIPSTICK INCL

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Nice Driving Car, Good Mileage"

Cons: "No Dipstick, unreliable oil measurement system"

"I have the 4-cyl version of this vehicle with the EcoDrive feature that cuts the car off at the stop lights. Save gas and engine fumes. The AWD capability easily moves this car through snow and it climbs a steep snow covered driveway at my mountain cottage without snow chains. The car is fun and zippy to drive. It is also easy to park.....compared to the X5 I had before, the X3 is like a sports car compared to a truck. Unfortunately, I will never purchase another BMW....and had I known about this single shortcoming before purchase, I would have walked out of the dealership. BMW, in their infinite wisdom decided to save about $5 by eliminating the dip stick. Even worse, their electronic oil measuring system is unreliable. What self respecting car enthusiast wants a car in which you cannot measure the oil? I was on a long cross country trip when my car kept telling me to add quarts of oil. Had I not been suspect, I would have ruined the engine by overfilling the crankcase up to the valve cover. To this day, 1/11/2014, I still don't know how much oil is in my engine. No more BMW's for my family until they put the dipstick back."

Good & bad....

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Nice car to drive."

Cons: "Victim of technology and continuous battery drain."

"Fun car to drive. I have a 2012 x35i (bought new) with just 16,000 miles so far. But it's cold in Minnesota, and I use the car for many short trips. Now i'm finding that, with the battery 'way out back in what amounts to an ice box, I get continuing messages to "Charge Battery" all the time. The dealer says this is normal and that the battery will not charge when it's ice cold. The solution: Put the car on a 10A battery charger every night if it's going to be below freezing. Huh?? Yes, raise the hood and connect a battery charger. So I do, while I'm shopping for another, more user friendly car. Also have had continuing problems with tire (Pirellis) rim leaks, with no help forthcoming from the dealer. So my morning routine now includes starting my garage compressor, pumping up one or two tires, disconnecting my battery charger, and closing the hood."

fantastic vehicle-my best ever

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "mileage, quality,ride, and comfort"

"purchased 28i a month ago. We recently took on a trip and got 27mpg, better than rx400h we traded in. Was nervous about 4 cyl engine but it is very powerful. Quality is first rate.Got many options including navigation,xenons, and upgraded stereo. No regrets!"

2nd best car ever!!!

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Fun to drive, practical, great mpg, powerful,"

Cons: "expensive for a CUV"

"Got the car in June 2013, and since we got it, this car is wonderful. We got the 35i and in ECO PRO mode, got 30 MPG highway! Quality is good on the car. Plenty fun to drive. Nav system works great. Oyster leather looks great with Black metallic exterior. This car is a pretty penny, and if your willing to spend the money, get the X3"

Good but...

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Good Looking"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Impressed with: Speed and maneuverability at highway speed. Look and style, I am proud of it. Not Impressed with: It has wheel alignment issue, been aligned 3 times over the life of the original tires. Tires are used up at 31k miles not to mention that these tires are not cheap at $340 each. Theres seem to be a hiccup on the initial acceleration, you have to very careful on the drive off. Rear door has to be slammed to close completely otherwise the sensor will let you know. The engine noise; My car is a 35I twin Turbo and the dealer told me its normal for the noise. Use of Premium gas only to give you an average of 21 miles a gallon."

Love my 35i

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Handles great, fun to drive, power, power, power!"

Cons: "A few interior rattles"

"Owned the X3 for just over a year now and love every minute I'm in it. This vehicle handles like a dream and takes the twisties like a champ! Can't beat the power of the 35i. X3 performed beautifully in the snow and had no issues. I'd highly recommend this car to a friend!"