• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 BMW X3

Based on 42 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Awesome car for families

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, spacious"

Cons: "tailgate doesn't close with key"

"This car is great for families on the go! The car drives great and I can always rely on it to take me where I want to go! If you need a luxury midsize SUV, this is the one!"

Powerful and great, a few design misses

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Screaming fast. Zero to 60, in 5.6 seconds"

Cons: "Lame clock, Nav, electronics, and power steering"

"Screamingly fast 5.6 0-60, love it! Great leather and interior build, 20k miles with no mechanical issues at all. Feels safe and secure. Love the little LEDs that light up the curbs when you open the doors, the HID headlights are great. There was a creaking sound in the sunroof, that they fixed for free way past the "adjustments period" you hear about this issue a lot. Still creaks/rattles a little, but much better. Good handling, but the electric steering is a continuing disappointment (my wife's mini handles so much better, at half the price). Lots of software driven features are well intended, but a bit lame. Navigation is better than nothing, but not as good as if you glued an iPhone over the screen. The real time traffic on this 2011 is worthless, it only shows highway repairs, not real traffic. The internet lookup is so slow it seems broken. Even the salesman could not get the voice recognition to work, a very pale comparison to Siri in my phone. When you ask it what time it is, it lists the menu items on the screen at that moment. What I really would like, is a bmw app on my iphone for tire pressure readings, and alerts, and the rest of the time have that display show what is on my iPhone screen. BMW can't compete with apple/android, they shouldn't try. The AM radio is strange, it falls out of HD when the broadcaster's antenna is in line of sight, and sounds weird when out of HD. My sequoia's radio is much much better. The lock/unlock remote control works a long distance, but the beep is too quiet to hear in city noise, and what is worse, it will only beep/flash the first time you lock it. So I find myself unlocking and relocking, if I didn't hear the beep. Kind of lame. Dumbest design mistake: They sell this car to 40+ year old customers, but the clock is too small to read comfortably with out reading glasses, and what's worse, is that they dim it,and use a less contrasting color, at night, making it useless (the clock was fine on my previous 528i). I leave a mechanical analog clock meant for a motorcycle on tray under where the ash tray would have been -- gets lit up by a LED in the car at night. This may sound stupid, but hate the decorative crease on the drivers door -- it is supposed to look like wind coming over a wing, but with the car at a stop it looks like a limp human body part -- not the image they were shooting for! It really shows up in silver and gray, but less so in black and white paint. Overall car is great, and I'd buy it again. It is the right size. The X5 is bigger without any more passenger room, and slower with the same turbo 6 engine, but it looks a little better. The Audi Q5 looks better all around, but had a weak engine, it was sluggish when the seats were full with passengers."

Nice Driving Vehicle, Overpriced, NO DIPSTICK INCL

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Nice Driving Car, Good Mileage"

Cons: "No Dipstick, unreliable oil measurement system"

"I have the 4-cyl version of this vehicle with the EcoDrive feature that cuts the car off at the stop lights. Save gas and engine fumes. The AWD capability easily moves this car through snow and it climbs a steep snow covered driveway at my mountain cottage without snow chains. The car is fun and zippy to drive. It is also easy to park.....compared to the X5 I had before, the X3 is like a sports car compared to a truck. Unfortunately, I will never purchase another BMW....and had I known about this single shortcoming before purchase, I would have walked out of the dealership. BMW, in their infinite wisdom decided to save about $5 by eliminating the dip stick. Even worse, their electronic oil measuring system is unreliable. What self respecting car enthusiast wants a car in which you cannot measure the oil? I was on a long cross country trip when my car kept telling me to add quarts of oil. Had I not been suspect, I would have ruined the engine by overfilling the crankcase up to the valve cover. To this day, 1/11/2014, I still don't know how much oil is in my engine. No more BMW's for my family until they put the dipstick back."

Good & bad....

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Nice car to drive."

Cons: "Victim of technology and continuous battery drain."

"Fun car to drive. I have a 2012 x35i (bought new) with just 16,000 miles so far. But it's cold in Minnesota, and I use the car for many short trips. Now i'm finding that, with the battery 'way out back in what amounts to an ice box, I get continuing messages to "Charge Battery" all the time. The dealer says this is normal and that the battery will not charge when it's ice cold. The solution: Put the car on a 10A battery charger every night if it's going to be below freezing. Huh?? Yes, raise the hood and connect a battery charger. So I do, while I'm shopping for another, more user friendly car. Also have had continuing problems with tire (Pirellis) rim leaks, with no help forthcoming from the dealer. So my morning routine now includes starting my garage compressor, pumping up one or two tires, disconnecting my battery charger, and closing the hood."

fantastic vehicle-my best ever

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "mileage, quality,ride, and comfort"

"purchased 28i a month ago. We recently took on a trip and got 27mpg, better than rx400h we traded in. Was nervous about 4 cyl engine but it is very powerful. Quality is first rate.Got many options including navigation,xenons, and upgraded stereo. No regrets!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X3 near Honolulu. See local deals