• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 BMW X3

Based on 41 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Not Worth the Price

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pros: "smooth drive; good mileage; powerful engine"

Cons: "not worth the value."

"My husband bought me the 2014 X3 in June of 2013 to replace my X5 which is one of the only advantages of the X3. It's a lot smaller than the X5 which I always felt as if I was driving a massive truck. The size of the X3 is much more reasonable. Clearly this car is not for me. I'm a stay-at-home mother and I put a whopping 6k miles on it in 14 months. Unlike my husband, who loves and appreciates high-end, expensive German cars, I just don't. Maybe it's a "guy" think but I just feel it's a LOT of money to spend, especially when I don't need a car of this caliber for my personal driving habits/needs. But I kind of question who really does. I know I sound ungrateful but it's just too much for me and I often feel uncomfortable in certain situations with having the BMW logo on it. To me, it can give off an air of entitlement and that might be my issue but I think the opposite can be true. Some buy this car and spend the amount of money precisely because it has the BMW logo. OK, about the car. It i IS a comfortable drive and got me through a pretty bad winter with a ton of blizzards and I never got stuck or had any problem driving up our VERY steep and long driveway or skidding, etc. so it's a safe care! I'll give it that! And it gets MUCH better gas mileage than my old X5 (but it is a lot smaller). But the number of "features" are overwhelming and made "worse" by having many accessible from both the steering wheel AND on other buttons on the dashboard, middle console, etc. The number of unncessary features along with this duplication makes me feel as if I am flying some large commercial airplane. I'm sure there are some features I'm not even aware of but one example of a "not-at-all" needed in my mind is the blinker options. You want to change lanes and you somehow "know" that you only need three "blinks" to signal the driver into whose lane you are entering? You can use the standard blinker and just flip it off when you've changed lanes BUT you can also push a small button on the steering wheel that will automatically turn off the blinker after 3 blinks AND that same feature is also on the dashboard. Honestly? It just results in a car which has a massive amount of buttons that I just can't imagine most drivers using. I feel it's more of a way to justify the expense than adding any benefit. But I'm just a Girl so what do I know? I do know that a week after I got it in June of 2013 and had 300 miles on it, a 19-year-old hit me with his old pickup in a parking lot on the passenger side of the car (don't ask why he drove perpendicularly into me). He wasn't traveling at a high speed at all so his truck didn't have a scratch but the body design of the X3 sides is one long, continuous piece from the very front to the back so the entire side of the car had to be replaced. And since I had picked a new color that was never offered before and since I had also gotten the very first shipment, there was a delay in getting the paint so my car was in the body shop for 3 weeks. I'll stop. You realize you are reading a review from a middle-age woman who considers a car more of a commodity and doesn't appreciate what some might. We own the car so I'll keep it maybe for one more winter and then I'm trading it in and choosing what I feel I need and I bet I MAKE money off the whole deal."

Very Very Nice Vehicle

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Great Vehicle with excellent storage space"

Cons: "second seat don't recline. my only complaint"

"This vehicle is amazing. I like the fact that I was able to custom order my vehicle at no additional cost. I had to wait a month before it was delivered but it was worth it. I opted for the xdrive 35i over the 28 and I'm glad I did. This thing screams. It has on the move drive modes so I can switch between comfort and sport which I believe engages the turbo. It also changes the shift ranges of the transmission. My daily driver is a 2007 Infiniti M45. When I compare driving pleasures, I think that the X3 without question is faster on take off because you can feel the all wheel drive of the X3 pulling but the V8 of the M45 pens you to the seat. Both have the ability for burnouts. That is both from standstill and roll.But I think the M45 would take the X3 in a head to head. I also opted for the painted trim. Money if you ask me well spent."

Drives like a sports car. Great power, handling!

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "FUN, FUN FUN to drive."

Cons: "NAV software needs to be scrapped and reworked"

"This a terrific all around vehicle. I've had several BMW's but this is my favorite. The Sport+ program makes this SUV drive like a high end sprts car. Could not be happier with this ourchase. Heads up display is really useful. Only complaint is the Navigation system is cumbersome and the Voice recognition software basically doesn't work. It's more frustrating than anything else."

Great to drive - feels like a sports car

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage - Handling - Looks - Looks"

"This is my first BMW. When I was shopping for a vehicle with these options, I found the price of the BMW was just a little more than most "American" SUV's. After driving the X3, wow - I wanted this car. Almost forgot: I get an average of 30 miles to the gallon - 4 cycle."

excellent driving vehicle-engine is terrific

By on Saturday, April 19, 2014

"Excellent car with perfect quality so far-easy to drive with excellent engine performance. Interior design is excellent."

Solid, handles great

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very quick"

Cons: "none so far"

"Very solid performer. Comfortable seats, intuitive electronics. Great leather, paint and storage. Plenty of room on back seat for tall people. Impressive MPG... been averaging 22 in town."

Solid, handles great

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very quick"

Cons: "none so far"

after 8 months, going to get rid of it

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "performance"

Cons: "user controls, navigation, I-drive"

"Worst user controls, worst navigation, plagued with engine warnings. twice after returning to the car, the engine is running. Car rattles and creeks. The I-drive is awful. Sorry I bought this car. The engine performs well, and transmission is smooth, You will hate the auto engine shut off. The dashboard and I-Drive controls are terrible. They couldn't possibly have focus grouped the user controls. This is my seventh trip back to the dealer. The engine warning light is on many times."

Loving my 2014 BMW X3 28i

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Excellent drive, well crafted interior, safe"

Cons: "Some bugs in onboard computer, blind spots"

"I just leased a 2014 BMW X3 28i, and this is definitely the best car I have ever driven. The car deserves an almost perfect score. I would have liked to have rated this car a 9.5 overall, but I had to settle for a 9 given the rating system on KBB. So here's the good stuff. The drive of the BMW is simply outstanding. The X drive system offers sport, comfort and eco modes which offer three very different but excellent driving experiences. The sport drive makes you feel like you are piloting a Porsche, and even the 4 cylinder version of the car has incredible torque. The comfort drive is likewise excellent, although you can clearly distinguish a 4 cylinder from a 6 cylinder version. But you do get better mileage. The eco mode offers a bit less pep than the other driving modes, but the MPG goes way up. Since I leased the car three months ago, my MPG has averaged about 21 MPG, with more town and city driving versus highway driving. During longer highway drives, I have gotten 30-35 MPG consistently. The steering is crisp and responsive and the breaking is taught but not overbearing. The BMW driving experience is simply superior. My car is relatively new and I have experienced no major reliability issues despite a brutal winter in NJ this year. The interior of the car is something special. The leather finish is outstanding and the styling of the dashboard is excellent. The iDrive system is fantastic as well. I highly recommend the Navigation system which is unreal. The computerized dash is truly powerful and wide in scope. The only downsides I can think of with the car is that the dashboard computer can sometimes be buggy (i.e. clearing pre-set radio channels randomly), and also the car has blind spots on the driver side given the positioning of the rollcage."

Awesome car for families

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, spacious"

Cons: "tailgate doesn't close with key"

"This car is great for families on the go! The car drives great and I can always rely on it to take me where I want to go! If you need a luxury midsize SUV, this is the one!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X3 near Honolulu. See local deals