2005 BMW X3

8.0

Based on 257 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

Stable reliable suburban workhorse

By on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pros: "Ride, reliability, seat comfort (front) visibility"

Cons: "Rear seats, sunroof, driver legroom width"

"Bought this as a pre-cert from BMW. Most comfy among smaller SUVs. Excellent road handling, good breaking, not-so exciting acceleration. A bit noisy inside, made noisier by BMW decision to design a rambling muffler. A very Euro driving experience, if a bit bumpy on NYC roads. On the negative side, very tight driver legroom space, a strange need for the engine to hold on the a lower gear on long mild uphills, and yes, more then enough fix ups as the car ages. The cost to maintain is something to contend with, especially at current dealer service. Best road ride with Pirelli Scorpions ASRs. Would get it again, if priced competitively. Probably another pre-cert?"

Great Compact utte

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Ive got an 04 3.0 Liter with a 6 spd. The car drives outstanding. I bought a certified pre owned car and have had no problems in 3 months of driving. Do not buy it new, its best to get em 2 to 3 years out, you avoid the initial hit. After this period it holds its value well. The M54 engine is great! Its SIMPLE to change oil in it, plus other routine maintenance. I have worked on BMW's for years, this is the 8th BMW I have owned and I can say its one heck of a product, not perfect (NOTHING IS), BUT when compared to others, it packs a heck of a punch."

Love My 2005 X3 3.0i

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I owned a 2002 BMW X5 4.4i before getting this X3. I traded because of the high mileage on my X5 and being out of warranty. The X3 doesn't have the exact level of luxury as the X5 did, but there are some options I didn't have on the X5 that I love on the X3. Such as parking sensors, navigation and the panoramic roof. I purchased this as a CPO vehicle and I am still in manufactuers warranty and free service until December 2008. I have had a few minor cosmetic problems that the dealer took care of without question and even provided a loaner. I like this SAV as much as the near loaded 2002 X5 I traded. And it gets better gas mileage than the X5 did, without sacrificing any horsepower."

Great auto & wonderful driver

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"I love this car. The size & cargo space are great. It 's a joy to take on long road trips. handles superbly at 29 mpg highway a super road car. I am small and the seats adjust so I can position myself perfectly. I like the height on the interstate. Met all of my expectations. Hope the new X3 can match it."

Very Pleased after 3 years

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"I bought the 3.0-X3 while stationed overseas prior to our first child being born...wanting something safe with performance. I've been 100% satisfied in both areas for over 3 years. We had a blast traveling all over Europe in this thing, and have been back to the states for 3 months and still loving it. Yes the ride is a little stiff, but I found that more of plus than a minus. Not being an expert and reading all the reviews before buying, I was a little put off when I heard them complain about this...and over the years have found this way down on the priority list toward determining my satisfaction with this car. What was important to me was: I've never experienced a single problem (not even a bulb needing replaced). I was, however, disappointed in the BMW service when we returned to the states. It felt like they didn't really have time for us when asked simple questions about getting our US warranty started. Situation may have been isolated to one service agent...as things have gotten better since we switched to another agent at our request. But has seriously left questions in our mind about future purchases...but that's not the car's fault. Over the last 22 years I've owned (purchased new) a Mazda RX-7, Audi-80, Ford Explorer, Jeep Wrangler, and now this...all being great cars. But looking back, I've found this X3 to have many of the best aspects of those cars all rolled into one. My wife and daughter love this car, and we expect several more years of satisfied use."

Certified Pre Owned BMW...Better than advertised!

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Great value, low maintenance, comfortable"

Cons: "Controls not intuitive,back seats not lie flat"

"Bought this 2007 BMW X3 in 2010 with 25,000 miles and today had Level 2 service at 71,000 miles. I have not had a single problem in the 50,000 miles I have driven the car. The car is still tight, suspension shows very little sign of wear, brakes have been magnificent (5 on front and 4 on rear... 5,000+ miles left?) and engine loves to rev! Oil consumption has never been an issue between service intervals (18,000 miles for me). Only negative has been that transmission at times will rev to 4,000 rpm going uphill in 3rd (?) gear before up shifting...I say "hunting for power". When I bought the BMW, I said I would trade it in when the extended warranty and maintenance contract expires 8 months from now...but this car has EXCEEDED ALL MY EXPECTATIONS!"

Very Surprised and happy

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Size, handling, safety and fun to drive."

Cons: "harshish ride"

"My wife wanted one of these and I was certain that the car would not be comfortable for me as I am well over 6' and big. Comfort is excellent. I own other European cars and this one has everything I need and want. Headlights are great, power is great, controls are great, quality is great, the ride is silent but firm. Excellent manners and handles very very well. I can't say enough good about this car. By the way, I own a European Auto repair shop and won't own a NEEDY car (Saab, Volvo). Very safe bet,"

saved my life

By on Tuesday, November 02, 2010

"i have loved my car since buying it, but last week was hit by a big rig and sent spinning ibto oncoming traffic on the freeway and hit bt 4 other cars. the outside was totaled and i am alive and buying another one, spend the money and buy a safe car!"

not your avg SUV

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"This car has been a pleasure to drive. With the right tires it is great in the snow and one of the best driving cars on the roads. For an SUV or course. The warranty is part of what sold me the car. Maintainance cost is completely covered. Service is professional. Drive one and you'll know what I mean. The X3 drives like a car not like a cross over!!"

Vehicle saved my life

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"I was involved in a head-on collision (I was stopped and other car was traveling at about 65 MPH) and although the complete front end was crushed and demolished, the interior cab was completely intact. I was only hurt by the airbag and seatbelt. I cannot say enough about this vehicle and how because I was in this vehicle, I was able to walk away from a head-on collision. I would definitely recommend this car."

Excellent, reliable and safe car

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Well worth the money. Fun to drive and safe."

Cons: "Styling is a ilttle old but still beautiful."

"The X3 is an extremely reliable vehicle. You can drop the back seats and load quite a bit in the back. It's not "fancy" but does its job extremely well. It is a great vehicle for AZ where many people own huge SUVs. It sits high enough to give you a great view of traffic. The X3 handles beautifully and is easy to turn around in parking lots and other tight spots. My wife loves driving it around town."

Love the X3

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Fast, reliable in winter weather, great pick-up"

Cons: "Gas mileage, only 1 CD & cup holder"

"This is my second X3 in 5 years. Replaced my 2006 with the 2010 because of its size, reliability, and driving experience. This car is a bullet on the highway. I like to drive my cars - I don't like the car to drive me. Previously, I purchased only Japanese cars, but I love driving the German car because I have to drive it. The X3 has been totally dependable and my dealer's service is excellent. Just wish the mileage was better, but driving in Boston traffic always gives lousy mileage. Will probably trade this in for an X5 because I need more cargo space. Meantime, I'll enjoy my X3 and recommend it to anyone who loves to 'drive' their car."

A blast to own and still turns heads

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "handling, responsiveness"

Cons: "firm feel on the road is not for everyone"

"I purchased this 2007X3 MSport package certified pre-owned in 2011 for 29K- the garage kept, low mileage (17.5K) and gorgeous alpine white convinced me and I have to say its a sharp car that doesn't disappoint. I agree totally with one reviewer about the strange need for the engine to hold on the a lower gear on long mild uphills- its so bizarre! Otherwise the power of the 3.0L 260 engine is perfect for city driving. I can tap on the gas and know its not going to let me down- I have become a more confident city driver because it is so thoroughly responsive and fast to accelerate...this totally makes up for the gritty road feel-in fact I'm a happier as the driver than the passenger because its a driver's car-I know why people love this car its a total pleasure. I love the '07 much better than '08-'11- the sporty look of all white is a head turner. Just recently had an issue with the front/rear parking sensors- under warranty bc I purchased the extended warranty but other than that 17k miles with no issues whatsoever."

best ever car

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"never any problems"

Favorite Car I've ever owned

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

"I bought this car used about two years ago, after owning a 3 series two door for about 8 years. All BMWs have similar traits. . .awesome handling, tough as nails engines, smart design/engineering, great streed cred, questionable electronics, etc. This is by far my most favorite vehicle to drive. I own the 3.0 liter with the sport suspension and the M trim package. Very fast for an sport utility, corners as good as a corvette, the all wheel drive -- especially in the snow -- really just powers through anything. Our two kids enjoy riding the back seat (although a 3rd would be tight) and the seats/console have a snug, german-style feel to them. Not plushy like a lexus or domestic SUV, but sporty and comfortable. I had to put some money into the A/C around 80K miles, but have otherwise enjoyed a pretty maintenance free experience. Especially used, in the $17-25K range, this vehicle is a phenomenal value. Happy motoring!"

NEVER BUY ANOTHER

By on Friday, May 15, 2009

"this car was in the shop for 120days last year for drive train troubles i have a book of paper work it has to be the worst car i even see falls apart all the time i spend more time at the shop driving a loner. i spent time waiting for a tow truck 3 times on the side of a highway due to the gas not reading on the dash afte breaking 7 times i would not give any good info on this car i got mine with 1000 miles on it and it was living heck."

Nagging problems

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"3 times in for leaking sunroof. 3 times in for non-operating passenger rear view mirror. 3 times in to replace airbag seat mat 2 times in to replace accelerator pedal. Replaced window regulator, steering gear and rear brakes (e-brake problem). The car was in the shop 8 times during the first 2 years of ownership."

not impressed with quality

By on Thursday, April 17, 2008

"I have owned this car for 3 years. In that time I have spent a lot of time at the BMW dealership for quality/build issues. So far the following have been replaced under warranty: belt tensioner, front airbag covers because fabric was puckering and bubbling, all door seals for relentless creaking, radio replacement, cup holder was peeling/had to be replaced, front door faux wood trim fell off and had to be re-glued, transmission would not shift into fifth gear when below 20 degrees. This was my first and LAST BMW! My car is now out of warranty and will be replaced. It was nice having free maintenance, but as you can see - I cannot trust it when the bills become my responsibility!"

Solid Vehicle

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "great quality, classy look for a SUV"

Cons: "steering is tight and hard when not rolling"

"I bought my X3 2.5 new and have really enjoyed it. This car is built like a tank. Everything has that tight German functional engineering. The steering is stiff and requires some effort when not fully up to speed. I would not want to parallel park this car daily. The 2.5 engine is fantastic on gas for a SUV and provides plenty of power. The ride is very SUV like, this is not a smooth luxury ride. But this car is fun to drive if you are looking for a SUV that handles like a sport car. This beast is incredible in the snow and just can't be stopped. I have had zero problems with it and would recommend it for someone looking for great build quality, fun driving, good on gas, classy looks."

A GREAT SUV

By on Friday, January 02, 2009

"I have had my 2008 X3 for about a year now. I still love it like the day i bought it! A great SUV. PROS: 1. Very Realiable (not one problem yet) 2. Fun to Drive!! Good Power & Excellent Handling for an SUV. 3. Good Gas Mileage ( I average about 19mpg) 4. Very Cool Pano Sunroof There to many pros to list! CONS: 1. Cup holders (almost useless, way to small) 2. AUX port is in the back seat, so you cant play with your IPOD when your driving. Do not get the upgraded stereo, standard one is just as good."

Nice, zippy, compact SUV

By on Thursday, April 03, 2008

"We got the X3 the first year it came out. I was expecting there to be bugs and there was. The auto roll down feature on the front passenger side was on the fritz after a year and a half. The dealer took care of that and that was that. Everything else so far has been excellent. Driving dynamics on the X3 is without any comparison! It handles like a BMW sedan, not a heavy SUV! And the compact size makes maneuvering in traffic and parking in tight spaces a breeze. BMW's 4 year comprehensive maintenance program makes the cost of ownership after purchase relatively how. Highly recommended."

Sports Car SUV

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"This is my second BMW, the first being a 3-series sedan. It's a blast to drive, handles curves like a BMW should, and glides down the highway at 80 MPH with no effort or strain. Holds my family comfortably and feels safe on the open roadway. As other owners have pointed out, the auto transmission feels rough at times, and jumps up and down the gears at lower speeds to a point where it's easy to think something's not right. BMW swears that it's just the nature of the beast, so I'll trust them on that for now. They do have a new software download that supposedly offers a fix to the issue. Other than that, the vehicle is tight, noise-free, well-built, versatile/practical, and fun to drive. It's understated in its design, yet engineered exactly as you'd expect a BMW to be. No problems to date - highly recommended."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"I have owned my X3 since March 2004. It now has 75K miles on it. It is the 3.0 with the 6 speed manual. A truely great SUV. Having owned 5 different SUV's over the years (98 Passport, 02 Tribute, 02 Rav4, 01 Rav4, and 04 X3), the X3 drives like a tall sports car. I also presently own a 85 300ZX Turbo and a 93 300ZX NA and I still feel the X3 drives like a sports car. It is truely a drivers machine. I have had some issues with mine, DSC computer replacement, clutch at 28K miles, and complete replacement of the moonroof, all on warrantee. And an Air Bag computer replacement, powersteering hose blew off, both at my expense, and oil changes are $125. Also, my vinyl drivers seat side bolster started cracking at 51K miles and now has delaminated over a inch wide and 4 inches long. So I would not rank the X3 as high in quality as I thought BMW should be, But it is still a pleasure to drive it. Gets better gas mileage than any previous car I have owned with a steady average of 23.5 and a highway mileage of over 27 MPG. Tha Rav 4 at 1200 pounds lighter and 75 HP less gets only 20 MPG. Go figure??? I would recommend this SUV to anyone."

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"This is the first BMW I've ever had. It is a fun car to drive and it does handle great. We had no problems on the snow and zipped past many other cars slipping around. However, I was expecting so much more for my money. I am really dissapointed in the comfort. The windows rattle, the moon roof whistles, the cup holders are stupid! The air doesn't ventilate to the back seat passengers. I can't wait for my 3 year lease to be up in 5 months."

Stepping down

By on Monday, April 30, 2007

"I have a BMW X5 now (2003) am trading to the X3 It handled very well. It is smaller but I am looking for something alittle smaller has great hatch space. Handles very nicely"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X3 near Honolulu. See local deals