2013 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,979 - $29,094.

10/7.7

Based on 25 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

My least favorite vehicle I've ever owned....

By on Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros: "decent styling"

Cons: "engine, transmission, mileage, value for price"

"...traded in STI about a little over a year ago, and have regretted it ever since. It doesn't do anything particularly well and the one thing that I acquired it for (mileage) it is an epic failure (about 21.5 mpg in normal driving conditions). It's decently styled with the M-package, and the interior is well appointed but not for the premium paid. The engine is about 100 hp down from the weight of the car. The transmission always feels like it's one or two gears off. The stop/start is obnoxious and loud. And the engine sound on start up is like an old diesel without the torque or the mileage. It's a functional car about $20K too much for what you get. It is certainly less than an "ultimate driving machine"."

Drives like a Car with the Room of an SUV

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "Good fuel economy, superb craftsmanship, Powerful"

Cons: "Passenger cup holder location, stereo interface"

"Very fun car to drive and very functional. I have had it for over a year now and I am extremely satisfied. Between highway and city driving I am getting 26-27 mpg, and I don't always take it easy. The car is very fast with the twin turbo four cylinder engine. We ski, so the fold down center back seat comes in real handy when carrying skis. Overall a great car."

Awesome vehicle - my 3rd BMW and my favorite

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Awesome small SUV"

Cons: "Need a manual option"

"Purchased the X1 as I wanted a smaller and fuel efficient small SUV. Size is perfect for my husband and I to go one weekend camping or hiking trips. Ride is awesome as expected from a BMW. It is fast, quick to respond and just have a lot of personality. I love its versatility. My co-workers and friends love the car as well, in fact my boss bought the exact came car."

X1 35i xDrive SAV AWD BMW

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great in the snow, powerful acceleration"

Cons: "Rough ride, road noise, backseat comfort"

"Yeap. It's not an SUV or, as my teenage daughter likes to refer to it as, a station wagon. One of my young bloods at work asked me if it came with wood panels. Many wondered why I got rid of my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi for this odd looking pocket rocket of a car. To put it bluntly the production and manufacturing design engineers at Jeep should spend a mandatory one-year overseas internship with any of the European auto makers to learn what it means to engineer and manufacture a vehicle where at least the seams of the vehicle all follow the same symmetry and width. The Jeep had too many seam variations and nothing lined-up nicely. There's something very intriguing about the 35i twin-turbo six that can't be explained unless you've been there. I've owned several cars in my life and can say without hesitation this engine is one of the most powerful stock engines I've had the pleasure pushing the pedal on. Now, the X1 itself is mildly comfortable at best. Despite full leather heated seats and steering wheel, the front driver's seat is not the most plush thing you'll ever sit in...especially if you're a person like me pushing the 50 mark and are in-need of something more comfy than a thin piece of padding. Slightly worse are the rear seats that are really not worth bothering with in my humble opinion. The back seats are best suited for holding ski gear and groceries. I originally bought this vehicle because come this fall it'll just be my wife and I. Both of your kids will be in college and only come home on their breaks; however, we've come to realize even on their short breaks we can not all fit into this car comfortably. Fine for short rides around town, but we're all really dreading the two trips across country this summer for two weddings. On a final note, this car is chocked full of odd cheap rubbing and cracking plastic sounds that I've not been able to isolate. Worse yet, there's an internal air leak/whisping sound in the upper left-hand corner of the driver-side window that dealership can not isolate. I've owned several BMWs and can say with certainty this one is the cheapest made one yet. The brakes are solid, the ride is harsh on any surface less than premium blacktop, and does relatively well on the MPGs (hard to keep in the low 20s because of the temptation to routinely place your foot into the floorboard so you can hear the screaming twins!!). Great daily, sure-footed commuter car for the often odd Colorado fall, winter, and spring driving conditions (snow, sleet, rain, ice, and slush). Looking forward to getting some time in this vehicle, then getting rid of it for my dream car...CPO'ed low mileage 2013 Audi A6 Prestige Quattro Sedan."

I Love This Car!

By on Friday, March 07, 2014

Pros: "Exceptional"

"I have had Fords all my life, from a simple Escort GT in the 80's to a top of the line F-150 King Ranch. I was ready for a change. On line I looked up cars similar to what I was currently driving, a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4WD. Although the Escape was a very nice car, it was not without it's set of challenges. When you add up all the minor annoyances and researched the vehicle in more depth, I realized I purchased an inferior product as compared to the BMW X1. I found the BMW X1 by chance. I didn't know they made an X1 and was I surprised to find out how all the hype over BMWs over the years definitely lived up to the aforementioned reputation. This is an exceptional crossover vehicle. The level of options for all price ranges was unbeatable and I never felt like I settled for anything whatsoever. I got a loaded version in the sDrive and couldn't be happier. It is zippy, fun to drive and very classy. I am so pleased I look into this vehicle and purchased one as a treat for my "mile-stone" birthday. Thank you BMW Doug"

Fun and Disappointing

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "fuel economy nowhere near stated"

"I love driving this car. It's very responsive- accelerates sharply and turns on a dime. The X1 feels safe and it's comfortable. I wish it was available with a manual transmission. I am 6'4" and have plenty of room to drive or sit in the front passenger seat. Not true for the back seat. The cup holder for front seat passenger is intrusive to the passenger's space. However, our X1 is only averaging 23 MPG. Our driving is mostly highway and my wife, the primary driver, is a cautious driver. She doesn't push the car. The BMW dealer seems unconcerned with the mileage. We have brought it back numerous times, and have been told, "You know this is a high performance car, don't you?" We traded in a Lexus RX 350 for this car. The Lexus was an unresponsive log truck of an SUV- cushy comfortable and safe, but not fun to drive. It got 23 MPG. We traded the space of the Lexus for supposed increased fuel economy of the BMW. The BMW hasn't delivered and we'll will be looking elsewhere at the end of the lease."

Love this little SUV

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "Handling, Fast, Good gas mileage, overall design."

Cons: "Price of options."

"Purchased 2012 Mini Countryman S “fun to drive, but not what you expect from a BMW product” traded it in for the 2013 BMW X-1 s28/Prem Pkg./Tech Pkg./Nav and Assist. My wife and I Love the X-1, rides like an SUV but drives/handles like my 325I and fast for a four cylinder. Small enough for a grocery getter but big enough to accommodate 4 adults and 1 child with no issues. Use the start stop tech and can get 26-27 miles in the city, 32-34 HWY. Great quality and performance, beats the mini hands down. 16000 miles and no issues."

Great entry level crossover.

By on Thursday, November 21, 2013

Reason: Personal Preference

Pros: "Lively engine; bold styling; versatile."

Cons: "Somewhat spartan interior."

"For what it's worth, this car is one to consider for first time car shoppers. Bold styling that fills my eyes every time. Just as reference, I drove a 2003 Kia Spectra before this. It almost shares the same proportions. The interior is very well thought out in my opinion. Very conscious design. However, there are hard plastics in your arms distance. Not ultra luxurious but a comfortable place. The engine is one to give praise. 4 cylinder and turbocharged. Power does come on in a rubberband type effect. Once again, I was once in a Kia so power delivery was all new to me. This is a great choice for someone who might live in a rural area because of its crossover capabilities but versatile functions. I would look elsewhere if you live in a urban area."

Great small SUV. Drives like a BMW sports sedan.

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to Drive , good handling and comfortable"

Cons: "iDrive is a needlessly complicated"

"I was looking for a sports sedan. Picked the X1 because it had the feel of a BMW sports sedan with the added feature of extra room. It was a demo so got a great deal. The handling is what you would expect from a BMW sports sedan. The 4 cylinder turbo delivers good accelation and good gas mileage if you drive it easy. Got 33 mpg on highway on a long trip. Getting 23-26 mpg in everday driving. Took a little while to master all the electronic features on the iDrive. They are nice to have, but glad the car was discounted enough so I didn't feel like I paid that much extra for them. Could live without most and still enjoy the vehicle just as much. Great vehicle for my wife and I to cruise around the country in. We are planning several driving vacations in the coming year."

The Little Bimmer that Could!!!

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "Great Maneuverability! Excellently priced!"

Cons: "A bit smaller."

"I bought this car for my wife after she was involved in a car accident and have had it four days now and she is loving every minute of driving. Got the 2014 X1 X Drive with the panoramic moon/sunroof, memory driver seat, 18" run flat tires all for $35K out the door. I thought I negotiated well for the price since the sticker price was $34950. One tip for car buyers, decide on what model you want, research, stick to your price out the door (including sales tax and registration) and wait for the end of the month to shop. Dealers have to boost or achieve their quotas, therefore, much willing to deal. So far, everything has been great. The MPG is as advertised and it is so easy to maneuver. The panoramic moon/sunroof just makes it all better. This is her first BMW and surely not the last. The interior is roomy enough. She loves the memory feature on the driver seat as it makes it more convenient. The dashboard is a bit smaller that the other cars she owned. I will put in another review in about 10 months when we've had more miles driven."

Small Sporty SUV

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, peppy acceleration, good on gas"

Cons: "too many buttons, gadgets for pragmatic folks."

"High quality paint and materials. Engine sounds like a diesel at idle, esp on start up (was told by dealer this is normal). Drivers side mirror could not adjust inward enough for short people. BMW put out an SIB bulletin on how to fix...dealer fixed. As break in miles roll along, notice better power and gas milage. Sporty, fun to drive...little too much buttons, lights, and gadgets for pragmatic drivers."

Excellent wagon alternative

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "Superb handling; rock solid; fast."

Cons: "Could use more standard equipment."

"Valencia Orange with M Sport Package, heated seats, Harmon Kardon stereo system, Bluetooth and BMW Assist. I didn't get any other options since I don't necessarily need them. The car (SUV perhaps) is great to drive. It's way faster than one might think considering it has a 2.0L inline 4, although it is turbocharged. Handling is excellent compared to any SUV and many cars for that matter. I've surprised myself along with many other drivers with the speed and agility of this car (it still has hydraulic power steering). It really puts a smile on my face everytime an on-ramp (or off-ramp) presents itself with no traffic to slow me down. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for compact SUV with great engine and handling."

Great mileage and handling

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, handling, seats, bluetooth"

Cons: "No temperature gauge."

"I have the X1 Sdrive. My gas mileage is well above the stated mileage. Recently on a 410 mile stretch of road in Washington we achieved 37.46 mpg at 70 mph. The lowest mileage I have ever gotten is 25.4. The roads here involve large hills and many curves. Some of the most "twisty" roads I have ever experienced are handled with ease. The handling gives you confidence in curves. I will very soon be going in for the first service, but I have used very little oil and the tires, Goodyear, keep pressure better than any ires I have ever had."

Absolutely happy with my purchase

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

"- Bought ~7 months ago. Mileage is currently ~10,000 - sDrive 28i with Premium & Technology packages for $37000. - MPG value I get is very close to the advertised value. Measured average MPG over a full tank is 31 MPG for an average speed of ~40 MPH (80% highway 20% city). In general I think MPG depends on your driving habits. You will be able to get the advertised MPG if you are a smooth driver. - Very smooth ride and great acceleration for a 2T twin-turbo engine. - Absolutely love the LCD panel quality, much better than the ones installed on Mercedes-Benz C class and Acura cars. - Interior room is pretty much like 3 series plus you get a big trunk. Overally, this is a great car with a great price and I highly recommend it."

EDP picked up in Munich and driven 3,250 miles

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "I-6, M Pack. handling. Sport seats, M-wheel"

Cons: "Rear seat leg room is barely adequate."

"I ordered the 35i after testing both the 28i and 35i along with a Merc. GLK at the dealer. There was no GLK diesel to test before my order deadline so I went with the X1 I wanted the sunroof, M package with sport seats and paddle shifters along with the HID headlights and found the price difference to be only about $2,500 compared to the 28i similarly equipped. The 28i sounded too much like a diesel without enough of the benefits of the diesel (i.e., high mileage). The exhaust note on starting up the 35i was so much nicer! Nice options: SR, M package with sports seats, sport wheel, paddle shifters, and all-wheel drive and heated seats. The HID headlights are nice. And of course the turbo I-6. •This car handled well on the curves in Bavaria and Austria. I very much liked the M package with the sportier suspension and AWD proportioning. • Car tracked well and was quiet on the Autobahn at up to 125 mph (at 130, the car began to get too light & floaty for my comfort level). • If you like driving a E90 06-11' 3 series, you will enjoy this ride. The steering feel and much of the switch gear is the same. • MPG over the month in driving in Austria/Germany/France 1st 1,500 miles (23.0 mpg), Next 1,750 miles (26.4 mpg). Driving speeds ranged from around town to averaging 100 mph in Germany. Merging into the fast lane and getting up to higher speeds was remarkably easy & smooth with this engine. • A very nice ride and a good value depending on keeping frugal on the options you select. The I-6 is not too expensive when optioned equivalently. • We hauled luggage for 3 adults for a month of driving in Europe and were able to hide it all under the back cover."

Great crossover but false promises on mpg

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "Sporty, good handling"

Cons: "Small trunk, less than promised mpg."

"We really like our 2013 X1. Handles great, sporty, fast -- way more maneuverable than our previous X3. Haven't tried it in the snow yet, but so far the handling is great. I do wish it came in a manual transmission. Size is a little bit small - -the back is really no bigger than a small sedan trunk, plus I'm used to an X3, so it does feel small to me. Parts of the dashboard are hard plastic rather than soft foam like in the X3, so you can see where BMW cut corners here and there. Also I am not used to the high seat position -- feels awkward to me. Overall we really like it but I am writing to BMW about the gas mileage -- even with premium gas I have never gotten above 21 mpg -- nowhere near the "estimated" 23-34mpg on the sticker. Since this was the main reason we traded in our X3 for an X1, I'm feeling a little deceived. I took the car in for service and they didn't find anything wrong with it - I am very disappointed about the fuel economy. For this reason only, we will be trading it in at the end of our lease instead of keeping it as we sometimes do. Other than that, great car."

2013 BMW X1 S28I

By on Monday, March 18, 2013

Pros: "Nimble, Great Handling, Powerful and economical"

Cons: "My only wish is 2 more inches wider and longer."

"This BMW X1 Crossover is the closest thing as far as handling to a German Sedan. Even though designed to drive as a 328I Sedan, it's not the same but it's as close as you can get for a Crossover. Test drove many crossovers from the new GLK 350, Infinity EX, Audi AllRoad and none of them come close to the BMW X1 as far as handling. Also, Power during take off is faster than most. We bought one with the Ultimate Package and this is the only car with Rear Camera and FRONT & REAR sensor. The Audi Camera only has rear sensor and the GLK camera has no sensor at all. Great gas mileage, excellent stock sound system. If you don't want a marshmallow ride, this is the car for you. This car is very fast for a four cylinder and compared to the audi 2.0 liter turbo (Also had a Q5 before)."

Great Compact SUV! iDrive controller is Awesome.

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pros: "iDrive Controller, Fuel economy, great engine"

Cons: "Navigation good but could be better."

"I ordered mine from the factory to get the exact options/features I wanted. Took about 2 months but that included Christmas holiday. I have 2WD with turbo 4 (called the sDrive i28...confusing!) Fuel economy has been 28 city and 32 on my only highway trip so far. Acceleration is stunning for the gas mileage it gets. Some have criticized the auto start/stop but I don't find it disturbing. Yes, it is noticeable when it restarts, but hey...you just saved all that gas at long stop lights. Also, can push button to turn off the feature if in a drive-thru lane or similar stop and go situation. Very well designed interior. I chose Terra cotta leather with matte wood trim and it looks great! I agree that navigation system isn't up to the standard of the rest of the car, but it is still quite good in my opinion. The iDrive control system is awesome and worth the cost of the navigation system all by itself. It is easy to use, convenient and very intuitive. Controls phone, navigation, media (iPod/CD, etc), radio, vehicle settings and displays. Easier to control systems with BMW iDrive than with my wife's Mercedes GLK 350 controller but the Mercedes Nav display is a bit better. My X1 feels more responsive and nimble whereas her GLK feels more solid but sedate. For those who complain it's too small...not sure why you'd look at the X1 in the first place. That's the point of it. It is a high-performance, road hugger (for an SUV) but it isn't designed or suitable for a family of 5 with all their gear on a trip. Leg room good in rear unless front seats fully pushed back, then too tight for most adults. For me, it was the perfect combination of features, performance and utility (I carry kayaks and mountain bikes a lot). I highly recommend this car."

Fantastic Value!!!

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "Value, handles great, ideal for small families"

Cons: "Less than advertised fuel mileage"

"I am astonished at the unique value this car offers. Priced very reasonably, it gives the driving pleasure associated with a sedan. The design is great, handles awesome and works perfectly well for us, a family of 3. Only criticism I would have is that the fuel efficiency is lower than advertised. Even with highway driving and ECOPRO mode, I hardly get more than 25 - 26. But all in all, this car delivers ... Great value, quality and the BMW backing for a very very reasonable price."

No Gas mileage, no zip, brakes are lackluster

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "price good , fun to drive, corners well"

Cons: "MPG brakes zip not the best. NAV poor"

"I gave the car a 10 but as compared to my 328xi the X1 comes in last. I drive all highway miles and have not been able to get the car over 26.4 mpg even using the ECO mode. I had to teach myself how to drive again because the brakes are not like the 328...I could stop on a dime in that car but with this one it is very difficult to stop the car. The engine is a 4 and the 328 is a 6 cyl so I get why it is not very zippy. I purchased the Ultimate pkg and please do not buy the Navigation. Do not spend the $2200 just go get a Garmin. The navigation is awful. Whoever designed it should drive with a Garmin for a week and then go redesign the BMW package. The car corners well and is very comfortable. It has plenty of room and is comfortable for 5. Drive the car repeatedly before you purchase. Make sure it meets your expectations not your desire for an inexpensive BMW"

Best ever!

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "Handling, mpg, sunroof, space, good price, wipers"

Cons: "center dash mounted door lock button"

"There is little I don't like about this sdrive X1. The handling is superior on the twisty roads in the mountains. The power is amazing. The gas mileage has NOT been below 30 mpg and we got 35 mpg on a highway exclusive drive. The seats are very comfortable for 6'2" and 185 lbs. The electronic features make sense and are many. Ours has heated seats, headlight washers and the premium package. The panoramic sun roof is great. The SUV shuts the engine off at stop lights and starts immediately when you let off the brake. The ability to switch between rain sense automatic and variable speed wipers is great. What a great vehicle!"

The best all around small luxury suv.

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive,charismatic,unique design,great price"

Cons: "Make it 3"taller ,add power rear door."

"The 2013 BMW X1 XDrive28i is the best small luxury SUV for small family of up to five.Its superior in gas mileage, price,performance,power,acceleration,handling and fun to drive.The exterior design is beautiful and unique and appealing,interior is excellent of high quality materials,instrumentation,packages and gadgets are high tech and modern,great safety features.Excellent cargo space with rear seats down. This vehicle is very practical,affordable price,tough small suv on or offroad,there's nothing this suv can't do."

I LOVE THIS CAR... eh SUV...eh Crossover

By on Monday, October 22, 2012

Pros: "fun, cool, nice, tasteful, quality"

Cons: "plastic parts, back seat space"

"I owned a 2008 328i and really loved that car and was reluctant to trade but I was getting pretty close to the 50,000 mark and was ready for an upgrade. The online videos and reviews are misleading. They will say it looks like a wagon or awkward, but it is really a beautiful car. And I like the fact that I don't really see too many on the road. EVERYONE had a 3-series out here so it was like driving a Corolla or something. It is an adjustment going from a 6 cylinder to a 4 because it doesn't zooom like my last car, but it's still fun to drive. Also I am not a fan of plastique! My 3-series had wood or at least plastic that looked like wood...lol spare me the high-priced tupperware. They could have put more space but I am enjoying iDrive, Komfort system and all the technology. I find excuses to drive. I ordered the car Friday and got it on Saturday! Great car! I like the rims too..."

Bmw X1 Sdrive 28i (So far amazing)

By on Friday, October 19, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, mpg's, awesome interior, great value"

Cons: "No :-( so far. I love this car***** 5 stars*****"

"I ordered this sav on August 13th & got it on October 1st. Well worth the wait. Anyways so far i love this car. Not much more i can say. It drives like a bimmer should. Excellent steering, amazing acceleration. Its just an all around blast to drive. I really love it. 1 other thing that's been awesome so far is the mpg :-) The car only has 900 miles and already gets 30mpg (mostly interstate). I wouldn't be surprised if this gets above the 34 rating once fully broken in. I didn't rate reliability yet cause it only has 900 miles but so far so good :-) But so far like i said i love it A LOT. The price for mine was 34,345-1g discount 33,345 & for a new bimmer. To me that's amazing. I will leave another review at 10 or 15,000 miles to give an update. Valencia"

My first BMW leasing and small SUV

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

Pros: "Best BMW price for a mini SUV, fuel efficiency..."

Cons: "Small wheel for my taste (I'm big person)"

"I'm a young person with a moderate income, so this is a great opportunity to have my first small luxury SUV with a affordable price, and a excellent fuel efficiency. Driving experience and outside design looks like a small but true SUV, inside it's like a big sedan or wagon car, very similar to i300 sedan series (for me it's excellent because I always owned sedan cars) If you are a big person probably the wheel and front controls looks small for you. If you are going to chose a BMW i300 series, or Mercedes C250, or Audi A4, or Infinity GX... car, consider to check this new BMW X1, the prices are practicably the same. Other brands like: Audi, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus don't offer yet a small SUV like BMW X1. Probably I'm the first person in south Florida with a X1. (I wait one month for production and importation)"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25