1996 BMW 8 Series

9.3

Based on 34 Ratings for the 1992 - 1997 models.

9.7/10

Remarkable auto

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"I have owned my 96 850 for two years now and have found it to be one of the most satisfying autos I have ever owned. I also own two other GT cars that I love but find the 850 preferable especially on long trips. It may not handle as well as some sports cars but the over all driving experience is excellent. I have found myself looking for another one in case something were to happen to the 96. I would have preferred a 6 speed manual but the automatic on the 850ci version is a good compromise. Wonderful, solid car."

It's a classic

By on Monday, July 28, 2008

"Most people define a "classic" as a car having perhaps limited production, distinctive styling, exceptional performance, ahead of it's time, and quality. The late model 8 series fits all of those definitions. I waited until the very last minute to factory order a 97 840 (last of the series). Although mine is a low mileage "garage queen" it makes my heart sings every time I take it out for exercise. A truely exceptional effort by BMW."

Ultimate Driving Macine

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"I bought a 1995 840ci in 2000 with low miles. Had to sell it due to job transfer overseas. Upon my return to the US in 06, I purchased a rare sweet 850ci. The four years i was away all i talked about was buying another 8 series upon my return. No words can explain what this car is capable of. This is a true classic. Style, handling, 160 no sweet. I will always own an eight."

By on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"very good fast car!"

Hiiiigh maintenance forever...

By on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"God, but you have to love the BMW 8 series, in either the V-8 or 12-cyl. versions. That low-slung design looks great after 20 years, with its M-1 nose and pert tail. And as a road tourer, it's still pretty competitive if you're not too fussy. As a local BMW specialist shop-owner says, "Think of it as a Ferarri with a Bimmer badge." And it costs like a Ferarri to maintain, no question. Virtually no part is common with any other BMW. If you need a front bumper, it's over two grand in the box; then you need to put it on the car, which costs hundreds more. Rebuilding the pop-up headlights is another two grand, again just for the parts. Still, our 1997 840 -- in the family from new -- continually turns heads with its exotic looks. Just prepare to turn your pockets inside out in exchange for not paying depreciation on something newer. It's probably a wash, as long as you don't lose a transmission or have serious engine trouble; if so, you're toast. I've spent $2,300 per year on avg for the 7 years since we bought the car from my wife's uncle at wholesale. And it looks like the 8 series has about stopped depreciating...a good late one (and you can find one if you're patient) still costs north of 12 grand, and there you are -- with a Ferarri that'll keep you poor, but will make your heart sing every time you turn the key."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 8 Series near Honolulu. See local deals