• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2005 BMW 7 Series

8.3

Based on 277 Ratings for the 2002 - 2008 models.

nice but high maintenance transmission issues

By on Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, comfort ride, plenty of leg room"

Cons: "Power train not reliable, high maintenance costs"

"The car has nice features and comfortable to drive, but that's no good if the vehicle isn't reliable. I was averaging 2000 dollars a year by maintaining the vehicle. At 95,000 miles my transmission failed. The sad part, tranny maintenance isn't until 100,000 miles. The cost for replacement? 8600.00. Overall, the car is a head turner, but reliability just isn't there."

Alpina B7- Awesome Automobile

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

"This car has been nothing but a pleasure to own. I haven't had any problems with the car at all in the last 7k or year and a half of ownership. I bought this car with 14k miles and paid 1/3 of what it cost new, even though it still looks, drives, smells, like new! It is fast, sleak, gets good gas mileage, its rare, its comfortable, its basically a luxury sedan, and supercar combined into one ultimate driving machine. They depreciate quickly because no one knows what they are, so if you can buy one slightly used and maintained like I did, you can live like you are rich with a middle class income."

This car is loaded with problems

By on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"I've owned my 2002 745i now for 4 years and I can honestly say this car has severe design issues – I don’t care how well you take care of your 2002 you’re going to have problems. Each and every problem I've encountered with this car is a well known and common issue. The famous "cooling tube" failure being my last that resulted in a repair costing over 5 thousand dollars - this tube runs through the center of the engine and when it goes you’re in Big Trouble.. The pusher fan, trunk struts, control arm bushings also have all gone bad and also are all commonly known, planned obsolescence issues with this car. Funny thing - in 2006 BMW redesigned this engine and suspension and all the issues are resolved -- want to buy one of these? (A) Make sure you have a warranty and (B) Make sure you by the 750 2006 or higher and avoid this 2002 maintenance nightmare."

Philly Review

By on Thursday, December 10, 2009

"I purchased my 2003 745i w/ Sport package as a CPO car. Overally, I have loved my experience with the car, but would not recommend, nor purchase a second one. It held up to it reputation for performance, styling, and overall fun!! However, I am disappointed that after 95,000 miles it is calling for over $5k in repairs and maitence. For a car originally priced at over $80k new...I expect more!! I will part from the car (and have found the $12,500 trade in value extremely disappointing), and will likely never keep a BMW longer than the warranty / service period. Such a shame for an unbelievable car has such a short life!!"

One of the best BMW's

By on Thursday, July 05, 2007

"The 750i sport is one of the best cars ever made by BMW, for those looking for great cornering ability the 750 is the king. Bmw need to focus more on the quality of the materials and the software they use in the car. It could brake down a little more than a lot of people would tolerate. BMW's navigation system is worthless and not very user friendly. If anyone is looking to get one make sure you lease it."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "high quality, great looks, fantastic perf."

"This is the best car I have ever owned. It is a high quality and high performance vehicle. Saw some bad review of BMW 7 series but I don't believe them. I recently drove my 745Li from Ohio to California, almost non-stop. Not one problem or issue. It was 104 degrees on the southern route and I was averaging 90-95 miles an hour for 10 hours a day. No problems at all and loved the comfortable ride. What can I say, a high quality high performance machine that is worth the price."

like driving no other car!

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"I have owned the car for 1.5 yrs...it is a space ship inside beautifully styled and lit. sound levels LOW. engine levels nil! Available power ---space shuttle ...mi per gal about 25 hiway. Not an around town car..touring car for sure and makes the long trips enjoyable exactly like flying up front on a oceanic trip..first class vs. riding in coach.you arrive from your drive relaxed not exhausted! need a copilot because youll want to nap in the comfy seats .. i am a pilot , might be too many gadgets, idrives, dials for the average jo..if you dont want to read manuals..dont buy this! For the rest of us..no problem! the ultimate machine!"

BMWs Forever

By on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

"Owner: 06 750i, 03 745i, 02 Mz3, 98 Mz3 and 84 318i. All have been excellent automobiles!! I have owned and driven many other automobiles and nothing in the lux/perf category compares to the 7s. I recently traded the 745i w/120k miles for the 750i and am extremely pleased. The 745 was fantastic and was good for 300k + miles but wanted the bigger 4.8L, steptronic and other upgrades on the 750. Unfortunately, I had to have the 745s tran replaced at 45k and feel w/all the others having this issue, BMW should have recalled. Luckly, it was covered under warr, otherwise a $12K expense. I strongly believe many of the issues documented here by the other owners in these reviews revert to user error. Unlike other cars, BMWs (automobile) are not toys and demand proper care, service/respect. Proper service and especially proper operation will keep you out of the shop and debt. I also highly recomend the Yokahama Advan 4 tires over the OEM Bridgestones on the 7 series. Much quiter and perform way better."

Smooth, powerful luxury!

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "Luxury galore, very safe, comfort, nice power, MPG"

Cons: "BAD in snow, sunroof is loud"

"This car is remarkable. The comfort is great. I'm 6' 3" and this car is amazing. I have had 4 - 5 series and an X5 and this by far is the best....unless you are talking about snow- NOT GOOD! I figured because of the perfect weight balance this would be good but it is terrible! It would be the only reason I go back to a 5 series. Even without the Xi badge the 535 was amazing in the snow. The only other small complaint i can even think of is the sunroof. It is very loud with the slide pulled back. I just don't understand that on a 90K car."

BEST CAR EVER.

By on Monday, January 21, 2013

"I've owned over 30 cars in my life time. This unit is the best. First used car I have bought in 25 years. Great value, comfort, style, and the list of options is almost endless. I also own a CLK350 Conv. also another fine German car."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals