1999 BMW 7 Series

Based on 328 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Buy this car if you have money to waste

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"I bought this car in 2007 with 68K miles on it and have put 17K more on it since. The car looks and runs great, It has a nice Steel blue color and sport package and nice interior. This is the most expensive used car I've bought and continues to be expensive to maintain. I've owned 20 year old American cars with 150K miles that broke less than this car. I've had to replace the squeeky brakes which weren't worn out yet, 2 window regulators ($400 each), grill inserts and front suspension bushings ($800). The windshield washers and GPS quit working, Windshield and other seals cracked, etc, etc. That's why I'm on this website; I'm selling it."

The Magnificent 7 Bondmobile

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"I have read about half the reviews here, the individual comments, most of them very flattering, and as I read each one of them they reminded me of my own mostly excellent experiences. I bought my Magnificent 7 Bondmobile (an identically styled and Arctic Silver colored 7 starred in "Tomorrow Never Dies", except it had the V12, I believe) 1998 740iL in Oct 2005, at the peak of the gas prices. Its owner drive it 120 miles a day but needed the large trunk of a Yukon and was selling it. He would give it to me for only $9k as is, or $10.5 k fully fixed and detailed, and I chose the latter. I took a risk, did not even take it to a mechanic, test drove it twice first, though. But I thought, even if it proves a total lemon, what did I lose? $10.5k is not even half the first year depreciation of a new 7, and mine looked better than the Bangle-butt next gen back in 2005. I bought it with 113k miles and now it has 127.5 and still drives like new. It is a Decathlete Renaissance car, not only good on the highway, where its weight, size and Loooong Wheelbase brilliantly contribute to a fantastic enjoyment, but also, amazingly, in narrow one-lane country roads and in the city as well! This is a no-compromise car, more than enough power, excellent handling, good highway MPG (22-25 at high speeds too!) excellent interior, luxurious wood and leather, tasteful design. This is not a Buick! It is a DRIVER's car. Reliability has not been as bad as Consumer Reports would lead you to believe. I change the oils every year with expensive synthetic. I had one or two repairs in 4 years that were serious, but not Engine or Transmission, I also replaced the (original!) battery. On the downside, the car hates very cold weather, I garage it in the winter but my work has no close garage and more than twice last winter its new battery needed a jump. Also don't expect more than 15-17 city MPG, and on short cold trips it can go below 12. I have not owned an S class but I see many owners here who have, say the 7 is far superior in driving experience. I gave it 5 stars everywhere, except in Quality (it is unacceptable that some interior trim can fall off, like door clips etc) and reliability (because of an oil leak and a belt break which required a new radiator and hoses and belts, and left me stranded until a friend picked me up)"

Fun to drive, but expensive to own and maintain.

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: ""Cool to own", Fast, Drives like a dream, Quiet."

Cons: "Expensive to own and maintain."

"This car has been a double edged sword. It's cool to "have" and fun to drive. However, it has been the most expensive car to own and maintain that I have ever had - and I have owned 44 cars. Now, at 14-years old, it is unreliable. I have spent over $1000 trying to find an intermittent electrical leak that causes it to drain the battery overnight. Sometimes it's fine for months. Then all of a sudden it's dead in the morning. this makes it practically useless as a daily driver. Conclusion: I loved it, but now I hate it - and it will be worth almost nothing if I try to sell it with the electrical problem. Good Will, here it comes..."

EXCELLANT AUTOMOBILE - COMFORTABLE, NICE TO DRIVE

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Top quality"

Cons: "Maintanence costs; gas mileage around town"

"This vehicle has been in the family all 129,500 miles. Serviced properly. Maintenance is expensive; mileage around town very poor; some rubber / plastic deterioration. Otherwise, everything is good. Fifteen years old and like new in many ways. Has the prospects of being a good auto for another fvie years. The BMW dealer says, quietly, that the new cars can not match this car in quality and performance."

BMW for ever

By on Thursday, April 10, 2008

"my mother handed her 1996 BMW 750iL down to me when i got my license in 2001 with nearly 150,000 miles on it. i have driven it since then with no disapointments i am finishing my residency in aboout six months, now with 278,938 miles i am handing it down to my brother and expect him to drive it for the rest of high school maybe even longer. the performance of BMW's in general is amazing i have never found another car that would out perform my v12. The paint has no blemishes due to the great quality of paint that BMW uses. (If you purchase a new BMW the paint upgrades are expensive but i can attest that it is worth every dime, my car is a 1996 and has the original paint. Please take into consideration that it was and is garaged but i am confident that even if it hadnt been garaged it still would shine. the only think that has been an issue with this car is the water pump and the interior moldings that i have numerous times had to have the dealer reattach pieces like the door handle. yea you laugh but try climbing over a full console to get out the passengers side clutching a detatched door handle. other than those two things i have no problems with the car. my wife has a 2002 BMW convt and we have had no trouble with it either i will never own another vehicle outside the BMW family. I have close friends that have bought mercedes, jaguar,lexus, porche, landrover,and audi products new and have had numerous problems not only mechanically but cosmetically ranging from poor paint quality all the way to engine and trans failure. the mercedes purchased new in 2004 had its onboard computer go out, the 2004 jaguar x-type had a list of problems that cant even remember it died on the fourth of july, the eighth of august seventeenth of september and died in my parens driveway on christmas eve. remember that all a lexus is is a significantly more expensive toyota and shares the poor paint quality. audi have fun replaicing the struts every 10,000 miles, and landrover 2002 due to the top heavy nature my wife flipped hers driving around a bend at 30mph along with other mechanical problems this was by far the worst car that either of us had ever driven. Buy a BMW they have never given me or anyone that i know any trouble at all. Mini coopers are amazing as well. If you are financially unable to afford a BMW check out the MINI line of cars recently added was the clubman. these really arent suited for people with families but colleg students and singles would love it."

Abysmal repair record

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"2001 BMW 740 iL, am original owner, 65,000 miles. The main point is that just because you buy an expensive luxury automobile does not mean it will be reliable. To this point have replace 2 front grills, radiator, coolant resevoir, navigation system ($2000), radio amplifier, 4 brake rotors at 55,000 miles (are you kidding me?), 3 oxygen sensors, mass air flow sensor, and the AC compressor leaks (not yet replaced). On the plus side the car is well engineered and the ride is great. Will not be buying another."

Ok, but over-rated in supposed quality.

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Fast, comfortable, handled like a dream."

Cons: "Disappointed in the durabilty of the car."

"Was a good car in all. Frame felt solid. Think it was a little short on some of the appointments and build qualities, like having effective cup holders for a $65k car. Exterior rubber was dissolving towards the end of us having it. Window regulators broke all the time (every window broke twice at $400 a whack!). Everything was overly expensive to fix. Bought a MBZ to replace. Let's see if that is any better. Had the car for 13 years, so you can't say we didn't give it our best, and gives you a good idea of BMW endurance."

Really pleased

By on Friday, January 16, 2009

"Having the pleasure of owning 4- 7 series Bmws both in Europe and in the U.S I can honestly say that it is and always will be the ultimate driving machine, Blasting down the Autobahn or tooling around at the 60mph limit, it is impossible for me to keep my foot out of it. But it is costly to get the car serviced and repaired here in the U.S. In Europe there is always a friendly Bosch dealer or parts store around every corner. BMW seems to have the monopoly on parts here. I buy a lot off the internet and salvage yards in California to upgrade or repair. I also bought me a ISO reader to plug in and read the fault codes every time the engine service light comes on. There is no other car for me as the E38 1995 to 2001. All the other 7 series after that look like someone left the trunk open, owned a 750i,735i,740il"

flip a coin on the 7

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I have owned a couple of BMW's and I swear by them. Nothing else drives like a BMW. had a 93' 3 series and put 176,000 on it and the only thing I ever replaced was the Water pump/radiator and the clutch. It started every single day! I bought this 2001 740il sport with 54,000 miles on it and have had nothing but problems. Radiator 2 windows glove box latch 2 cam sensors thermostat alignment because front tears were wearing due to toe-in and for the last month I have had the car in the shop 4 seperate times for radiator fluid leaks, first a hose, then got it out of the shop and that same day drove about 30 miles and the expansion tank blew, then had to replace the cam sensors two days after I got the explansion tank replaced, and now a week later I am leaking radiator fluid again. This is a nightmare to have this on a car with less then 70,000 miles. BUT- I this is the ultimate driving machine. Comfort is unreal, performance is like nothing else because no other sedan is this heavy. I love driving this car on the highway. The problem is they started making all these part with plactic, so they are cheap and break. So flip a coin, do you want a car when it is not having machanical problems that is just flat out awesome and stylish, well if you do be prepared to spend a lot of time and money in the shop. Word to the wise get yourself a VERY GOOD/VERY REASONABLE Mechanic, not the BMW dealership mechanics."

2 740's in the driveway

By on Thursday, March 25, 2010

"I had always wanted a 7 series or a jaguar and am a bit of a car nut having already driven infinity, stealth, Porsche. Got a 99 jag xj8 with 21K and drove it for 5 years. I loved the jag, but at about 125k miles, it started for feel a little old. I traded for a 2001 740 IL with 72K on the clock. WOW. I couldn't believe the difference. It feels like a new car every time I get in it. The only maintenance beyond normal was power steering hose and radiator at 110K. The ride is incredible, power undeniable and gas milage in the 25 mpg range at 75+ mph. It now has 123K and going strong. I bought 98 740i for my son with 92K on it and it also drives like a new car. I am a believer. The ultimate driving machine is an understatement."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals