• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1999 BMW 7 Series

Based on 325 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

2000 740il best buy for the buck

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"i have owned this car for around a year. has 89000 miles now. I average 21 miles city and 27 freeway!! That is crazy since this is a 4.4 liter v8!!everyone that rides in my car wants to fall asleep because it is such a quiet, comfortable, and smooth ride. people in the back see, even over 6', can fully stretch out in the back seat and rest there feet on the foot rests. tons of trunk space. sun shades are nice. 14 speaker dsp system sounds great (especially with my subs in the trunk). 16x9 aspect wide screen nav. memory seats, power everything, 14 way seats, soft leather. i could go on and on. traction control. engine is quiet. Oh, oil change every 10-12k miles, nice change of pace from every 3k on my hondas. i use royal purple on my cars. after I put 10k miles on the car, the old oil loked rather clean still. very good engine. ok. the bad. power steering pressure line on these cars go bad. $300 part from BMW. NO big deal. Just don't by the part from them and save $220. Labor, simple. heater outlet hose from radiator goes bad. again, $45 part online, much more from BMW, easy fix, 2 hours labor though. have to flush out and bleed the coolant system. dead pixels on cluster. $1200 replacement from BMW or fix it yourself for $6 (electrical contact cleaner) and a screw driver. digital climate control lights work half of the time. i usually leave mine on auto anyways. and finally, window regulators!!! BMW doesn't care if you spend $20k or $80k on their vehicles. they will still give you cr*ppy window regulators. both of my rear windows broke within months of each other. Luckily, my windows are in the up position. Can be a pricey fix if you pay someone, $400-$600 a window. maybe more. or, diy for $150/ window. i think that is all of the problems tht i have had. I have owned 5 BMW's. Love em all. similar problems with them all. the 740il is fast, roomy, quiet, and a head turner. Just remember, BMW's can be very pricey to maintain if you take it to BMW every time something happens. it's true. But, as I have stated, if you do it yourself, it is the same to keep up as any other car. I am selling mine do to deployments, but I would by another one in a second. for the price of this car and reliability, i wouldn't pass it up."

Solid

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

Pros: "very solid. Smooth and quiet."

Cons: "none."

"I first drove a 7 series in early 2000. My first impressions were the heft of the doors and how solid they closed. It left me with the feeling that this car was solidly built. Next came the look and feel of the interior. Leather, carpeting and wood as well as the night cabin lighting were excellent. On to the engine. You can hear the car start up but as soon as the engine has started it becomes minor background noise. Not very noticeable. Driving this big car is a joy because it doesn't feel like a big car. It accelerates very smooth and powerful. Going around corners are very controlled with little body roll. Unlike many Japanese luxury cars. Going over bumps in the road, railroad crossing you barley hear less feel. These were my thoughts as I test drove a 7 series for the 1st time. I didn't purchase the car at the time since I really needed a pickup. But always had it on my list of cars to buy when the time came. 1 yr ago I totaled my Japanese luxury car. car deer collision. Car lost. I needed to replace the car and went to my list and there was the 740il. Went looking online and came up with a 1998 740il with 167k. Bought it even though the reviews on reliability were so, so. I also knew that you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Some people don't know how to take care of a car and then blame the car. One year later and 14,000 miles and I have had no problems at all. My 740il now has 181,000 miles and runs perfect."

The Magnificent 7 Bondmobile

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"I have read about half the reviews here, the individual comments, most of them very flattering, and as I read each one of them they reminded me of my own mostly excellent experiences. I bought my Magnificent 7 Bondmobile (an identically styled and Arctic Silver colored 7 starred in "Tomorrow Never Dies", except it had the V12, I believe) 1998 740iL in Oct 2005, at the peak of the gas prices. Its owner drive it 120 miles a day but needed the large trunk of a Yukon and was selling it. He would give it to me for only $9k as is, or $10.5 k fully fixed and detailed, and I chose the latter. I took a risk, did not even take it to a mechanic, test drove it twice first, though. But I thought, even if it proves a total lemon, what did I lose? $10.5k is not even half the first year depreciation of a new 7, and mine looked better than the Bangle-butt next gen back in 2005. I bought it with 113k miles and now it has 127.5 and still drives like new. It is a Decathlete Renaissance car, not only good on the highway, where its weight, size and Loooong Wheelbase brilliantly contribute to a fantastic enjoyment, but also, amazingly, in narrow one-lane country roads and in the city as well! This is a no-compromise car, more than enough power, excellent handling, good highway MPG (22-25 at high speeds too!) excellent interior, luxurious wood and leather, tasteful design. This is not a Buick! It is a DRIVER's car. Reliability has not been as bad as Consumer Reports would lead you to believe. I change the oils every year with expensive synthetic. I had one or two repairs in 4 years that were serious, but not Engine or Transmission, I also replaced the (original!) battery. On the downside, the car hates very cold weather, I garage it in the winter but my work has no close garage and more than twice last winter its new battery needed a jump. Also don't expect more than 15-17 city MPG, and on short cold trips it can go below 12. I have not owned an S class but I see many owners here who have, say the 7 is far superior in driving experience. I gave it 5 stars everywhere, except in Quality (it is unacceptable that some interior trim can fall off, like door clips etc) and reliability (because of an oil leak and a belt break which required a new radiator and hoses and belts, and left me stranded until a friend picked me up)"

Buy this car if you have money to waste

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"I bought this car in 2007 with 68K miles on it and have put 17K more on it since. The car looks and runs great, It has a nice Steel blue color and sport package and nice interior. This is the most expensive used car I've bought and continues to be expensive to maintain. I've owned 20 year old American cars with 150K miles that broke less than this car. I've had to replace the squeeky brakes which weren't worn out yet, 2 window regulators ($400 each), grill inserts and front suspension bushings ($800). The windshield washers and GPS quit working, Windshield and other seals cracked, etc, etc. That's why I'm on this website; I'm selling it."

Great car but EXPENSIVE to maintain

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Incredible to drive, with few peers at any cost"

Cons: "Megadollar repairs that are way too frequent."

"From a driver's standpoint, the 740i with the Sport Package is a phenomenal car. A superb long distance cruiser with outstanding handling for twisty mountain roads. Good gas economy (24 mpg on long freeway trips), quiet and well insulated on cold days. Turbine like smoothness, especially under hard acceleration. However, when it breaks (which has been more frequently than I like) it is painfully expensive. If the ABS module fails, by the time you roll away from the dealer (and this is definitely a dealer job) it's $3000. A good transmission overhaul (1st one at 100K, second one at 140K) is $4000! And good luck if the Navigation computer dies (mine did, and I lucked out and replaced it on E-Bay) as it is central to radio, navigation, trip computers and such. As in any high performance car, tires are big bucks, at $600 a pair across the front and $800 a pair at the back (this is a 140mph car, so cheap doesn't cut it) and like all low-profile, wide tires they aren't 50,000 mile tires. Also, for a $65,000 car (in 2000), it develops all kinds of leaks, none of which were inexpensive to repair. Power steering hoses, cooling system, valve covers have all developed leaks that were never less than $500 to repair. Granted, repair costs are directly proportional to the ORIGINAL purchase price, it's not a Ford after all. But to buy one now is not the wisest choice, unless you really want an older enthusiasts car. Then, accepting the definitely high service costs, you can't find a better sedan. I love it, but I wouldn't buy another."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals