• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

1998 BMW 7 Series

Based on 325 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

2000 740il best buy for the buck

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"i have owned this car for around a year. has 89000 miles now. I average 21 miles city and 27 freeway!! That is crazy since this is a 4.4 liter v8!!everyone that rides in my car wants to fall asleep because it is such a quiet, comfortable, and smooth ride. people in the back see, even over 6', can fully stretch out in the back seat and rest there feet on the foot rests. tons of trunk space. sun shades are nice. 14 speaker dsp system sounds great (especially with my subs in the trunk). 16x9 aspect wide screen nav. memory seats, power everything, 14 way seats, soft leather. i could go on and on. traction control. engine is quiet. Oh, oil change every 10-12k miles, nice change of pace from every 3k on my hondas. i use royal purple on my cars. after I put 10k miles on the car, the old oil loked rather clean still. very good engine. ok. the bad. power steering pressure line on these cars go bad. $300 part from BMW. NO big deal. Just don't by the part from them and save $220. Labor, simple. heater outlet hose from radiator goes bad. again, $45 part online, much more from BMW, easy fix, 2 hours labor though. have to flush out and bleed the coolant system. dead pixels on cluster. $1200 replacement from BMW or fix it yourself for $6 (electrical contact cleaner) and a screw driver. digital climate control lights work half of the time. i usually leave mine on auto anyways. and finally, window regulators!!! BMW doesn't care if you spend $20k or $80k on their vehicles. they will still give you cr*ppy window regulators. both of my rear windows broke within months of each other. Luckily, my windows are in the up position. Can be a pricey fix if you pay someone, $400-$600 a window. maybe more. or, diy for $150/ window. i think that is all of the problems tht i have had. I have owned 5 BMW's. Love em all. similar problems with them all. the 740il is fast, roomy, quiet, and a head turner. Just remember, BMW's can be very pricey to maintain if you take it to BMW every time something happens. it's true. But, as I have stated, if you do it yourself, it is the same to keep up as any other car. I am selling mine do to deployments, but I would by another one in a second. for the price of this car and reliability, i wouldn't pass it up."

Solid

By on Monday, October 03, 2011

Pros: "very solid. Smooth and quiet."

Cons: "none."

"I first drove a 7 series in early 2000. My first impressions were the heft of the doors and how solid they closed. It left me with the feeling that this car was solidly built. Next came the look and feel of the interior. Leather, carpeting and wood as well as the night cabin lighting were excellent. On to the engine. You can hear the car start up but as soon as the engine has started it becomes minor background noise. Not very noticeable. Driving this big car is a joy because it doesn't feel like a big car. It accelerates very smooth and powerful. Going around corners are very controlled with little body roll. Unlike many Japanese luxury cars. Going over bumps in the road, railroad crossing you barley hear less feel. These were my thoughts as I test drove a 7 series for the 1st time. I didn't purchase the car at the time since I really needed a pickup. But always had it on my list of cars to buy when the time came. 1 yr ago I totaled my Japanese luxury car. car deer collision. Car lost. I needed to replace the car and went to my list and there was the 740il. Went looking online and came up with a 1998 740il with 167k. Bought it even though the reviews on reliability were so, so. I also knew that you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Some people don't know how to take care of a car and then blame the car. One year later and 14,000 miles and I have had no problems at all. My 740il now has 181,000 miles and runs perfect."

The Magnificent 7 Bondmobile

By on Thursday, September 03, 2009

"I have read about half the reviews here, the individual comments, most of them very flattering, and as I read each one of them they reminded me of my own mostly excellent experiences. I bought my Magnificent 7 Bondmobile (an identically styled and Arctic Silver colored 7 starred in "Tomorrow Never Dies", except it had the V12, I believe) 1998 740iL in Oct 2005, at the peak of the gas prices. Its owner drive it 120 miles a day but needed the large trunk of a Yukon and was selling it. He would give it to me for only $9k as is, or $10.5 k fully fixed and detailed, and I chose the latter. I took a risk, did not even take it to a mechanic, test drove it twice first, though. But I thought, even if it proves a total lemon, what did I lose? $10.5k is not even half the first year depreciation of a new 7, and mine looked better than the Bangle-butt next gen back in 2005. I bought it with 113k miles and now it has 127.5 and still drives like new. It is a Decathlete Renaissance car, not only good on the highway, where its weight, size and Loooong Wheelbase brilliantly contribute to a fantastic enjoyment, but also, amazingly, in narrow one-lane country roads and in the city as well! This is a no-compromise car, more than enough power, excellent handling, good highway MPG (22-25 at high speeds too!) excellent interior, luxurious wood and leather, tasteful design. This is not a Buick! It is a DRIVER's car. Reliability has not been as bad as Consumer Reports would lead you to believe. I change the oils every year with expensive synthetic. I had one or two repairs in 4 years that were serious, but not Engine or Transmission, I also replaced the (original!) battery. On the downside, the car hates very cold weather, I garage it in the winter but my work has no close garage and more than twice last winter its new battery needed a jump. Also don't expect more than 15-17 city MPG, and on short cold trips it can go below 12. I have not owned an S class but I see many owners here who have, say the 7 is far superior in driving experience. I gave it 5 stars everywhere, except in Quality (it is unacceptable that some interior trim can fall off, like door clips etc) and reliability (because of an oil leak and a belt break which required a new radiator and hoses and belts, and left me stranded until a friend picked me up)"

Buy this car if you have money to waste

By on Saturday, February 14, 2009

"I bought this car in 2007 with 68K miles on it and have put 17K more on it since. The car looks and runs great, It has a nice Steel blue color and sport package and nice interior. This is the most expensive used car I've bought and continues to be expensive to maintain. I've owned 20 year old American cars with 150K miles that broke less than this car. I've had to replace the squeeky brakes which weren't worn out yet, 2 window regulators ($400 each), grill inserts and front suspension bushings ($800). The windshield washers and GPS quit working, Windshield and other seals cracked, etc, etc. That's why I'm on this website; I'm selling it."

Great car but EXPENSIVE to maintain

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "Incredible to drive, with few peers at any cost"

Cons: "Megadollar repairs that are way too frequent."

"From a driver's standpoint, the 740i with the Sport Package is a phenomenal car. A superb long distance cruiser with outstanding handling for twisty mountain roads. Good gas economy (24 mpg on long freeway trips), quiet and well insulated on cold days. Turbine like smoothness, especially under hard acceleration. However, when it breaks (which has been more frequently than I like) it is painfully expensive. If the ABS module fails, by the time you roll away from the dealer (and this is definitely a dealer job) it's $3000. A good transmission overhaul (1st one at 100K, second one at 140K) is $4000! And good luck if the Navigation computer dies (mine did, and I lucked out and replaced it on E-Bay) as it is central to radio, navigation, trip computers and such. As in any high performance car, tires are big bucks, at $600 a pair across the front and $800 a pair at the back (this is a 140mph car, so cheap doesn't cut it) and like all low-profile, wide tires they aren't 50,000 mile tires. Also, for a $65,000 car (in 2000), it develops all kinds of leaks, none of which were inexpensive to repair. Power steering hoses, cooling system, valve covers have all developed leaks that were never less than $500 to repair. Granted, repair costs are directly proportional to the ORIGINAL purchase price, it's not a Ford after all. But to buy one now is not the wisest choice, unless you really want an older enthusiasts car. Then, accepting the definitely high service costs, you can't find a better sedan. I love it, but I wouldn't buy another."

Most costly repairs ever

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Purchased 2 years ago with 100K on it. In this time...had to deal with very expensive repairs and replacements. 1. Vacuum gasket Manifold. 2. Water pump 3. Radiator 4. Rear Window Register 5. Oil leaks 6. Catal. Convertors 7. Air conditioning Compressor... This car is a horror to maintain over 100K."

Fun to drive, but expensive to own and maintain.

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: ""Cool to own", Fast, Drives like a dream, Quiet."

Cons: "Expensive to own and maintain."

"This car has been a double edged sword. It's cool to "have" and fun to drive. However, it has been the most expensive car to own and maintain that I have ever had - and I have owned 44 cars. Now, at 14-years old, it is unreliable. I have spent over $1000 trying to find an intermittent electrical leak that causes it to drain the battery overnight. Sometimes it's fine for months. Then all of a sudden it's dead in the morning. this makes it practically useless as a daily driver. Conclusion: I loved it, but now I hate it - and it will be worth almost nothing if I try to sell it with the electrical problem. Good Will, here it comes..."

EXCELLANT AUTOMOBILE - COMFORTABLE, NICE TO DRIVE

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Top quality"

Cons: "Maintanence costs; gas mileage around town"

"This vehicle has been in the family all 129,500 miles. Serviced properly. Maintenance is expensive; mileage around town very poor; some rubber / plastic deterioration. Otherwise, everything is good. Fifteen years old and like new in many ways. Has the prospects of being a good auto for another fvie years. The BMW dealer says, quietly, that the new cars can not match this car in quality and performance."

Nice long term ride

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"If you have the requisite funds to keep this car in good order, then I highly recommend this vehicle. The cooling system is this series Achilles heel. It is made of plastic that ages very poorly. The radiator, catchtank and main Y hose connection is prone to heat (ironic because that is what it is there to handle) cracking. The plastic becomes too brittle and eventually fails somewhere in the structure leaving you stranded. If you sort out the cooling system on a used car u can then expect years of reliability. If you plan to not replace the 3 items I listed above, then absolutely be preparred for disappointment. Outside of the cooling issues, I find the car to be an outstanding long term ownership vehicle. This problem with the cooling system failing extends to the 5 series with the same motor, just in case anyone is looking at one of those too."

BMW for ever

By on Thursday, April 10, 2008

"my mother handed her 1996 BMW 750iL down to me when i got my license in 2001 with nearly 150,000 miles on it. i have driven it since then with no disapointments i am finishing my residency in aboout six months, now with 278,938 miles i am handing it down to my brother and expect him to drive it for the rest of high school maybe even longer. the performance of BMW's in general is amazing i have never found another car that would out perform my v12. The paint has no blemishes due to the great quality of paint that BMW uses. (If you purchase a new BMW the paint upgrades are expensive but i can attest that it is worth every dime, my car is a 1996 and has the original paint. Please take into consideration that it was and is garaged but i am confident that even if it hadnt been garaged it still would shine. the only think that has been an issue with this car is the water pump and the interior moldings that i have numerous times had to have the dealer reattach pieces like the door handle. yea you laugh but try climbing over a full console to get out the passengers side clutching a detatched door handle. other than those two things i have no problems with the car. my wife has a 2002 BMW convt and we have had no trouble with it either i will never own another vehicle outside the BMW family. I have close friends that have bought mercedes, jaguar,lexus, porche, landrover,and audi products new and have had numerous problems not only mechanically but cosmetically ranging from poor paint quality all the way to engine and trans failure. the mercedes purchased new in 2004 had its onboard computer go out, the 2004 jaguar x-type had a list of problems that cant even remember it died on the fourth of july, the eighth of august seventeenth of september and died in my parens driveway on christmas eve. remember that all a lexus is is a significantly more expensive toyota and shares the poor paint quality. audi have fun replaicing the struts every 10,000 miles, and landrover 2002 due to the top heavy nature my wife flipped hers driving around a bend at 30mph along with other mechanical problems this was by far the worst car that either of us had ever driven. Buy a BMW they have never given me or anyone that i know any trouble at all. Mini coopers are amazing as well. If you are financially unable to afford a BMW check out the MINI line of cars recently added was the clubman. these really arent suited for people with families but colleg students and singles would love it."

Abysmal repair record

By on Friday, September 14, 2007

"2001 BMW 740 iL, am original owner, 65,000 miles. The main point is that just because you buy an expensive luxury automobile does not mean it will be reliable. To this point have replace 2 front grills, radiator, coolant resevoir, navigation system ($2000), radio amplifier, 4 brake rotors at 55,000 miles (are you kidding me?), 3 oxygen sensors, mass air flow sensor, and the AC compressor leaks (not yet replaced). On the plus side the car is well engineered and the ride is great. Will not be buying another."

Ok, but over-rated in supposed quality.

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "Fast, comfortable, handled like a dream."

Cons: "Disappointed in the durabilty of the car."

"Was a good car in all. Frame felt solid. Think it was a little short on some of the appointments and build qualities, like having effective cup holders for a $65k car. Exterior rubber was dissolving towards the end of us having it. Window regulators broke all the time (every window broke twice at $400 a whack!). Everything was overly expensive to fix. Bought a MBZ to replace. Let's see if that is any better. Had the car for 13 years, so you can't say we didn't give it our best, and gives you a good idea of BMW endurance."

Really pleased

By on Friday, January 16, 2009

"Having the pleasure of owning 4- 7 series Bmws both in Europe and in the U.S I can honestly say that it is and always will be the ultimate driving machine, Blasting down the Autobahn or tooling around at the 60mph limit, it is impossible for me to keep my foot out of it. But it is costly to get the car serviced and repaired here in the U.S. In Europe there is always a friendly Bosch dealer or parts store around every corner. BMW seems to have the monopoly on parts here. I buy a lot off the internet and salvage yards in California to upgrade or repair. I also bought me a ISO reader to plug in and read the fault codes every time the engine service light comes on. There is no other car for me as the E38 1995 to 2001. All the other 7 series after that look like someone left the trunk open, owned a 750i,735i,740il"

flip a coin on the 7

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I have owned a couple of BMW's and I swear by them. Nothing else drives like a BMW. had a 93' 3 series and put 176,000 on it and the only thing I ever replaced was the Water pump/radiator and the clutch. It started every single day! I bought this 2001 740il sport with 54,000 miles on it and have had nothing but problems. Radiator 2 windows glove box latch 2 cam sensors thermostat alignment because front tears were wearing due to toe-in and for the last month I have had the car in the shop 4 seperate times for radiator fluid leaks, first a hose, then got it out of the shop and that same day drove about 30 miles and the expansion tank blew, then had to replace the cam sensors two days after I got the explansion tank replaced, and now a week later I am leaking radiator fluid again. This is a nightmare to have this on a car with less then 70,000 miles. BUT- I this is the ultimate driving machine. Comfort is unreal, performance is like nothing else because no other sedan is this heavy. I love driving this car on the highway. The problem is they started making all these part with plactic, so they are cheap and break. So flip a coin, do you want a car when it is not having machanical problems that is just flat out awesome and stylish, well if you do be prepared to spend a lot of time and money in the shop. Word to the wise get yourself a VERY GOOD/VERY REASONABLE Mechanic, not the BMW dealership mechanics."

e38 for ever!!!!

By on Thursday, December 24, 2009

"After owning 2 of these cars, I feel that I could never find another car that is as awesome as an e38. The car is as fast as a 350z and is awesome on long trips. Plus, it has the most leg room of any other car I have ever been in. The v8 has plenty of power, which some people claim 0-60 in 6 seconds flat. For more info, go to the bimmerforums in the e38 section, and the helpful people will answer all of your questions. This car gets a lot of attention where ever you go. The only downside is the repairs, which can be expensive, but it was a $60-100k new, so you should expect it. The car is reliable in the sense that it should not let you down very often, as I have only broken down once, and a second time was when there was a crack in the radiator overflow, but the car had 160k miles on it. 10 years of happy owner ship! The car I think is also the best looking car ever, which you can modify if you want to make it a dream car very easily."

Simplicity, Reliability and Classy

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"In the 6 years I have driven the 1995 BMW 740i, I have always been confident that not only would I reach my destination safely, but that I wouldn't be exhausted upon arriving. The car has excellent power and the drive is incredibly quiet. I purchased the car second hand 6 years ago when the car had 24000 miles on the odometer. Other than the usual maintenance requirements (like oil changes), the car has not had any major problems. It has been the best car I have ever owned...I've owned a total of 18 cars."

Finest car I've ever owned

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"I bought my 1996 740iL when it was 8 years old, and had right at 100K miles (now has 146K). I still smile every time I drive it. Had a 1991 525i prior to this, and enjoyed it, too....but it didn't hold a candle to my 7. Perfomance is amazing...luxury a given...and, like many others here, I get about 21/27 MPG! You'll have a hard time finding any new cars that feel as good. I've driven Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferarri, and many others. While they are a blast, I'll take mine as a daily driver. Same luxury feel, great performance...and you can take 4 or 5 of your friends/family with you. What a deal! As to the naysayers: This car will cost money to maintain (compared to a Honda Civic), but it doesn't drive/perform/feel like a Honda either (Thankfully!!). You are either prepared for the cost, or you aren't. Another car guy once told me 'If you can't afford the tires, you can't afford the car'. He wasn't specifically talking about tires, of course, but you get the idea. Also, as some have mentioned, there are some great forums for the e38, for you DIY folks. Many of the links I found even include step by step instructions, and pictures! Good luck."

BMW Gone Bad

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"Pros: Great ride. Smooth and comforting. Rides like a magic carpet. Cons: Gas mileage. Mechanical problems such as valve cover leaks, intake manifold replacement, valley pan leaks, power steering pump leaks, and misfires. Electric window motor replaced and problems with the brake lights are continuous. Overall, not a bad car if you can pick one up used and about 6 years removed from new. Otherwise, very expensive to maintain if the car has problem. Otherwise, gas, oil, and go. Recommend extended warranty protection."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Reason: High miles

Pros: "Powerful engine, very comfortable, handling"

Cons: "Repairs maybe costly. High city consumption"

"I have had several BMW's and so far the E38 is the best. Extremely comfortable, if you have the full functioning seats. I own two 3 series now and will be looking for a low milage sports package soon. Repairs can be expensive but if you are mechanically inclined you can do most of the work yourself. I have to say any BMW engine is as simple as a honda, you just ge to to know it. I put on average 30k every year on my 7 and never left me on the road except for a blown tire. So yes, if you can find a well maintained 7 series and do not mind the maintanence I strogly recommend the vehicle."

Ultimate Driving Machine

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

I own this car

Pros: "Almost everything."

Cons: "Bad cup holder design, likes gas"

"When utilizing all it's abilities, this car is absolutely exhilarating to drive; it leaves me wanting for nothing even after ten years of driving it. I would unquestionably prefer to drive this 14 year old car than a brand new anything else. One of the biggest surprises I experienced was its sharp turning radius, one just does not expect that from such a large vehicle. And when I ask it to go, it never fails to thrill me. It's appearance is understated elegance which is my style, I feel luxurious comfort every time I enter the car, and no matter the weather I feel like I am in a safe cocoon. Other than ordinary things wearing out with time, this car has been incredibly reliable. And when it has broken down, it did so in my driveway...I'm sure they all must to that, right? I will drive this car until one of us dies. The downside...it sucks gas with enthusiasm."

2 740's in the driveway

By on Thursday, March 25, 2010

"I had always wanted a 7 series or a jaguar and am a bit of a car nut having already driven infinity, stealth, Porsche. Got a 99 jag xj8 with 21K and drove it for 5 years. I loved the jag, but at about 125k miles, it started for feel a little old. I traded for a 2001 740 IL with 72K on the clock. WOW. I couldn't believe the difference. It feels like a new car every time I get in it. The only maintenance beyond normal was power steering hose and radiator at 110K. The ride is incredible, power undeniable and gas milage in the 25 mpg range at 75+ mph. It now has 123K and going strong. I bought 98 740i for my son with 92K on it and it also drives like a new car. I am a believer. The ultimate driving machine is an understatement."

BEST OF THE BEST

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I had the 740iL for 5 months and I can say it is the BEST car I ever owned, from styling to ride quality. Expensive to maintain, but once you get it up to par, you won't have a problem with it. But find one is decent shape first. My have 170k mile and performs and handle as if it was brand new. Prong problem, is the power steering hose and suspension. The hose is simple fix, but the suspension you can spend well over $3K in repairs. Not a easy fix since the suspension system is very complex with multiple component, way more that a normal car. An the passenger side rear window regulator, will most likely fail if not already. But, for the most part I would recommend it to anybody if you can find one is decent shape. Take a mechanic with you if you can, if not note every noise and bring it to the seller attention."

wow

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"It would be a crime for me not to say something about it. This truly is an amazing car. At 156k, it still sounds and runs like a new car. The power is unnecessary. You need to leave some of the horses in your garage if you wanna come home without a ticket. The only thing you need to know about this car is- if things go wrong, you'll spend some money but things usually don't go wrong."

Best automobile I have owned in 60 years

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "This is the time to buy, take care, change fluids"

"Beautiful styling, comfortable ride, luxurious interior, drives like a sports car and I have had Jaguar XK120, Austin-Healey 100, etc., Paint is like new for a 13 year old car."

2001 740iL

By on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"We have owned this car since 2003 and 16K. It now has 71k and we haven't had any major problems at all. Honestly it's even been as reliable as our 2003 lexus. This car is truly amazing. It's fast, elegant, comfortable and gets 26 mpg freeway. We keep trying to get something new, but we can't think of anything worth trading for our BMW. At the current low prices, find yourself a low mileage 2001 and enjoy!!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals